Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Batman: Arkham Knight

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 23, 2015

Developer Rocksteady's return to the Batman series takes place one year after the events of Arkham City. It expands the open world from the previous game and allows players to finally drive the Batmobile throughout Gotham City's streets.

Those of you on the PC: Is the game worth playing now?

section09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By section09

I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet but it has looked interesting to me. I'm reading on gaf that it's stilled completely borked.

Can anyone here shed some light?

eurogamer: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-29-batman-arkham-knight-is-still-broken-players-say#_=_

Arkham Knight returned to Steam at 5pm UK time yesterday evening. Shortly after, Batman publisher Warner Bros. issued a blog postthat warns of a GPU issue for Windows 7 users which will cause a hard drive paging issue after "extended gameplay sessions".

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#2 FinalDasa  Moderator

This Youtuber named Patrick wrote up a run down the issues Arkham Knight is still suffering from.

Seems a lot like it's launch on PC, some users are fine while others can't run it well or even at all. Windows 10 users now need 12 GB of RAM, up from 8 GB, and Windows 7 users are having their own, separate, set of issues.

And according to Digital Foundry nothing has been done to the game since September and all subsequent updates between then and now have been preparing the game for DLC and add-ons, not bug fixes and improvements.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By brandondryrock

I loaded it up this past weekend. On foot, the game ran at a constant 60 FPS with all the settings on high and all the Nvidia GameWorks effects turned off, like enhanced smoke and paper debris. While gliding or driving, the game would hold at 60 for the most part, with dips into the mid to low 50s.

I am playing on a Core i5-4690K, GTX 980, 16 GB of RAM on Windows 10. I have a pretty decent rig, so I am guessing that is why I am having very little problems, although at launch it ran like ass on my machine. But when it was first released, I was only running on 8 GB of RAM, which I think had a lot to do with my poor performance.

I guess the conclusion is that unless you have a pretty decent rig, it should run fine now. But I've seen people with like GTX 770s saying they are still having problems running the game well. Even some with GTX 970s are still having problems.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

According to Tom's hardware recent patches have actually decreased the performance

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/batman-arkham-knight-back-on-steam-retested,30454.html

Digital Foundry isn't exactly pysched either

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-re-released-batman-arkham-knight-performance-analysis

Personally I wouldn't know, I can't get it to run consistently above 25 FPS eventhough my rig easily beats minimum specs and mostly exceeds recommended. I'm going to keep waiting to play it in hopes they can at least get it to where Origins is now before really getting into it

I think my problem may be related to the amount of RAM I've got. 8GB users seem to routinely have problems

BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By BRich

@combustion_man: came with my new graphics card at launch and ran perfectly. Haven't tried it since the updates though.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not changed since interim patch, maybe even a little worse for me. I wouldn't pay more than 30$ for this game, if you can't find a deal at that price or lower just wait for the steam sale. They basically dicked around for 4 months, might as well have re-released in September, or just left it on shelves and patched it like normal.

mrroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

It runs fine on both my desktop (970/i7/16GB RAM) and my laptop (970M/i7/16HB RAM). Shame I have not found it interesting enough to bother with much.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the pc port of this game is shaping up to be the biggest triple A blunder of the year. This has been broken since June and it's still a mess. Iron Galaxy really let fans down and somehow avoided the blame.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly I never had a problem when I played on release.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I didn't have issues at launch with my 980 other than having to cap fps to 30 but that's because it's a 980 so I would wait longer before buying. Should be discounted for Steam Winter Sale

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finished it on PC without any significant problems.

Mysterious0Bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaspower said:

Finished it on PC without any significant problems.

Same here although take in mind that this was on a 980 machine only 2 weeks old that that point.

meaninoflife42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. Still broken.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

From what I've read if you had significant issues running the game before it was taken off sale, don't expect anything different now. I believe very little work has taken place since now and then. Can this game run fine? Yes, many people have said as such but it's not where it needs to be and the requirements are ridiculous. 12GB of RAM if you're running Windows 10 is also a bit of a kick to the gut. I don't see how a newer operating system requires 4GB of more RAM compared to Windows 8.1.

Funnily enough, I'm seeing people defend bad PC porting over this saying that we (as consumers) do not deserve what we pay for. If I pay $2000 for a PC that I built myself, I shouldn't expect a better experience than someone who paid $500 for a crappy laptop because it was my choice to pay for more and that development shouldn't be targeted towards the highest end and that wanting a game to be playable at 60fps is acting entitled or rather #dealwithit.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: I don't think jim sterling is a relevant source, especially to this situation. I'm not even saying Iron Galaxy isn't a capable studio, they seemed to have very little problem filling the role of porting batman Arkham Origins for PC so that it was playable at release. WB evidently felt they were well suited for that role when it came to Arkham Knight but they failed to deliver. I don't see how that isn't their responsibility. They released a poorly optimized game and WB has been struggling to pick up the pieces. I am sure there's enough room to blame both but I lay most of it at the studio that was in charge of the quality for that specific platform.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

@wolfgame said:

@dudeglove: I don't think jim sterling is a relevant source, especially to this situation. I'm not even saying Iron Galaxy isn't a capable studio, they seemed to have very little problem filling the role of porting batman Arkham Origins for PC so that it was playable at release. WB evidently felt they were well suited for that role when it came to Arkham Knight but they failed to deliver. I don't see how that isn't their responsibility. They released a poorly optimized game and WB has been struggling to pick up the pieces. I am sure there's enough room to blame both but I lay most of it at the studio that was in charge of the quality for that specific platform.

You may be right, but we don't have all the details. Who knows how long IG had to work on the project, how much they got to work with Rocksteady, if WB forced them to ship an non-final project, etc.? I certainly agree that someone needs to take the blame, but it's hard to know who exactly deserves the blame in the often-secretive gaming industry.

Iron_Tool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had the game since release and have not experienced any issues so far

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrroach said:

It runs fine on both my desktop (970/i7/16GB RAM) and my laptop (970M/i7/16HB RAM). Shame I have not found it interesting enough to bother with much.

Seems like ram is still more important than anything, only people who say this tend to have 16gb of ram or more. The recommendation for windows 10 is now 12gb of ram lmao.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

I'm running a 660 gfx and the game runs fine on normal and low settings. Frame rate I limited to 30 fps but it still looks amazing for the settings that it is currently on. Obviously alot of the nvidia bells and whistles I had to turn off but nothing that took away from the experience so far. I can understand people who own a new gfx card expect it to max out everything but honestly that game is fine if you just turn some things off.

No Caption Provided

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

It's been perfectly fine for me since launch outside of the initial 30fps lock. I have a fairly high end system though, recent i7, 64gb ram, 770 at launch, 980ti now.

Never had any real issues running unity either. Arkham knight I'd say is worth playing, Unity not so much.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

The game is on sale on Steam again, 10 euros. So is it fixed? Worth playing?

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By rethla

@isomeri said:

No, yes.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By hermes

@isomeri: You can always get a refund if it doesn't work for you.

The game works better than it did when it was released. Still have to reduce the visual quality more than it would be reasonable for a game like this, and even then the framerate is inconsistent, but it is not unplayable. Technically, it is far less broken.

poveren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I played through it last month and had 0 issues. Everything on Ultra at 1080 res, great game

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Game of the Year Edition is coming soon with all the DLC, you should wait for that as maybe they've fixed some stuff?

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Thanks for all the responses.

@ptys Will it be 10 bucks though?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isomeri said:

i never did a full playthrough after the patch but it fixed some issues although i ended getting other problems (falling through the map etc). That was a good while ago though so maybe even that was fixed. It's worth it on discount if you like the arkham games, people complain more about the batmobile than performance nowadays.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#29  Edited By alistercat

I'm also curious because they said themselves that there are some issues they cannot fix. Is this still true? I would love to replay this on PC at 60fps but I had to refund at launch. Also it had missing effects that were in the PS4 version which seems insane.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm also curious because they said themselves that there are some issues they cannot fix. Is this still true? I would love to replay this on PC at 60fps but I had to refund at launch. Also it had missing effects that were in the PS4 version which seems insane.

it was some missing water textures, they "fixed" it last i checked but they would disappear after loading a save. Honestly it was nothing, the major issues like ram usage and crashing have been fixed, as well as 60fps performance. Gameworks is still pointless to use on anything other than the best hardware at 1080p. The game isn't broken though so I wouldn't pass up a discount like that if you enjoy the series at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.