Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption II

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Oct 26, 2018

The third game in Rockstar's Wild West-themed series is a prequel to the events of Red Dead Redemption, returning to the open-world action of its predecessor.

To wait or not to wait for RDR 2 PC?

Dryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

GTA V PC came out about 6 months after its console counterparts. How long do you think until RDR 2 PC is released? Should PC players wait? I know it hasn't officially been announced yet, but, come on. It's gonna happen. I'm on the fence, personally. I bought GTA V twice, and would rather avoid that this time. But, most of my friends will be on the PS4 version, and with an online component coming, that may be the way to go. Any other considerations on the matter?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I'm definitely intending to wait, although the deals out there for trade-ins might make me pick it up if I decide to get an X1X. But yeah, I would personally rather wait for some good widescreen action and a higher framerate even if it takes six months or a year. I've got a backlog to go through anyway!

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I'm so torn. It's a bit of an event, and the game looks incredible. But I have a base PS4. I don't want the experience to suffer because of that. But I also don't want the story spoiled and that might be impossible to avoid for long.

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Im waiting. Its always worth the wait.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean it's the game that's gonna dominate discussion for the next several months from this release window and most likely going into everyone's end of the year talks.

So if you're the sort that can ignore all of that and not play it you'll likely be rewarded with a better experience IF it does come to PC.

I'm not that guy though.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@dryker: actually the PC version didn't come until almost 2 years after the original release. I wouldn't expect a PC port at all or at least until 6 months after they re release the game on newer consoles.

Blessed is the man who can wait that long but I do not have the patience for that.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If playing online with friends is important to you I suspect you don't have much of a choice.

Otherwise why not wait for the best possible version or the game, especially if you don't have have an Xbox One X?

SnakeEater321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@barrock: From what I've heard, the base PS4 performs just as well on base PS4 as it does PS4Pro/X1X. The Pro consoles will obviously look a little nicer, but not to a massive degree.
    Seems you'll have a fine experience on any console you buy this game for.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By jay_ray

Expecting RDR2 on PC in 6 months is a little much. If it does make the move to PC my guess is that the timeline is a year+ if not longer

Ketta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do think it is a shame that Rockstar continue to play this game with the PC playerbase. Most other AAA devs have their shit together today when it comes to releasing simultaneously across the major platforms.

That said I retract my frustration if having a timely PC port would cause any more pain on the developers who already sold their souls to the Houser's to make the game.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i bet it takes 2 years for the PC version. I'll wait, but if i i had a console & i wanted to play this, i would probably pick it up now. I didn't do this with GTA V at the time because the reviews made it sound like the game felt like it had to squeeze all the juice out of the console to get running.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

@rorie: That sweet monitor isn't going to use itself!

moondogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm super curious about red dead online on pc, for one reason, GTA online is a busted ass unbalanced mess.

They better have learnt how to make whatever architecture their using more secure. Or boy howdy, lot a people are gonna get a nasty surprise.

Rabidlamb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still waiting for Red Dead Redemption 1 on PC

Avatar image for cursethesemetalhands
    CurseTheseMetalHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you care about being part of the zeitgeist, or just don't want anything spoiled for you, or if you care about online and being part of the community, you should probably just dive in and accept the fact that you might end up buying the game twice. If you're desperate to save $60 and/or feel confident you won't want to play through the game twice, then wait for PC.

the_devoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm waiting. I refuse to reward Rockstar for not releasing the PC version at the same time by buying the game twice.

internetpizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm waiting. I refuse to reward Rockstar for not releasing the PC version at the same time by buying the game twice.

Saaaame. I'll also find the cheapest copy available since I won't touch the multiplayer (learned my lesson with GTAV and its P2P multiplayer with no anti-cheat).

Avatar image for the_last_starfighter
    The_Last_Starfighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm torn too. Left consoles behind for pc in 2013 and haven't looked back, until now... Ughhh, this might be the one that pulls me back in... Damnit!

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I would wait, even thought the wait would be long and possibly forever, if it wasn't for the fact that my girlfriend whom I am now living with has a PS4. Which means I now have a PS4. Other than my Switch I had more or less given up on consoles, but if the PS4 is there anyway... Going to get the game tomorrow. Might double-dip if it ever comes to PC, but not certain I will. It will be at least a year before it comes out anyway, so I'd know then if there is a reason to get it again.

ragnar_mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

My last console was a 360, so yeah, I'll wait. Or you know, play Cyberpunk instead. Never really had a great time with these ports after the fact.

gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By gbrading

I don't have a current-gen console (just a PS3) so I'm definitely waiting. I was always disappointed that RDR1 never got to PC, but I currently do anticipate that RDR2 will get a PC version. I expect it will arrive this time next year. The main reason for this is that GTA V Online on PC has made millions for Rockstar and Take-Two and continues to rake in money, and it's unlikely Rockstar or Take-Two won't want to tap that well again with RDR Online. But considering how much money Rockstar has these days, their insistence to treat the PC like a second-class platform continues to be infuriating.

I've played some RDR1 on PS3 and while I can definitely see what a great game it is, my background thought every time I play it is "this would be much more comfortable and look better on a PC". After growing up playing almost exclusively PC games, playing action-adventure games on consoles still feels a bit unnatural to me.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am a idiot so i would probably buy both, did it with monster hunter, GTAV, and Destiny2 the FOMO is real.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jesus_Phish
    @dryker said:

GTA V PC came out about 6 months after its console counterparts. How long do you think until RDR 2 PC is released? Should PC players wait? I know it hasn't officially been announced yet, but, come on. It's gonna happen. I'm on the fence, personally. I bought GTA V twice, and would rather avoid that this time. But, most of my friends will be on the PS4 version, and with an online component coming, that may be the way to go. Any other considerations on the matter?

Maybe you're thinking of the time between the PS4/XBO version and the PC but it was about 18 months since the GTA V released originally until it was on PC.

GTA V PS3/360 - September 2013

GTA V PS4/XBO- November 2014

GTA V PC - April 2015

I'm going to pick it up now on PS4. If it's good and when/if it comes out on PC, I might pick it up there if my friends there want to play the online component.

I don't mind paying for a game twice if I'm going to play it in two different places.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Definitely waiting after all I spent on this new GPU and Ultrawide monitor heh. I didn't mind the wait for the PC version of GTA V in the end anyway.

IK2K3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dryker said:

Maybe you're thinking of the time between the PS4/XBO version and the PC but it was about 18 months since the GTA V released originally until it was on PC.

GTA V PS3/360 - September 2013

GTA V PS4/XBO- November 2014

GTA V PC - April 2015

I'm going to pick it up now on PS4. If it's good and when/if it comes out on PC, I might pick it up there if my friends there want to play the online component.

I don't mind paying for a game twice if I'm going to play it in two different places.

Yeah, I'll probably do the same. I bought GTA V for 360 on release and PC later on. If Red Dead is "good enough" that I wanna do everything again I'll get it for PC later.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

I have a base PS4 and an awesome gaming PC. It's going to kill me to have to wait, but I don't think I can justify getting a PS4 Pro when just last year I spent £1,500 on this PC that can do everything except 4K. If I can play RDR2 in 2560x1440 with graphics turned up and a cool 60 FPS, then that sounds absolutely amazing. But there not even being an announcement of a PC port has me really nervous, and RDR1 is in my all-time top ten games despite me hating pretty much every other Rockstar game. Theoretically, I have a ton of other games I could be playing in the interim - had Dishonored 2 installed for ages and haven't played it, and still haven't played Witcher 3, Divinity Original Sin 2, and a few others - but I've been so tired/lazy/depressed/stressed lately that I'll probably just keep playing Slay the Spire and Crusader Kings II. RDR2 was something I was actually super excited for, and that's rare for me these days.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was forced to wait because I couldn't take my PC to Peru with me but having a One X has helped bridged the gap better because I can at least enjoy the game in 4k. By the time I get back in the states I'll at least be willing to play this game again on PC because 60fps gameplay would be a game changer

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can wait, i know the game is very good so i'm less excited to play it...... if that makes sense, it's a known quantity, besides i'll probably need a new PC so i'm going to be waiting even longer.

Dryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My bad, only did a quick fact check on that release date. I totally based it on the XBO/PS4 release. I thought something seemed off. GTAV bricked my 360, and I never looked back. So, yeah, it may be more like a year or more. Anyway...

I went ahead and bought RDR2 for PS4. If I end up liking it enough, or the Mod scene is crazy enough, I'll buy it again on PC. Although, I picked up GTAV PC, fucked around with it for a bit, was really impressed, but never ended up playing it much. I do that too much. I buy games I want to exist, but know I'll probably never find time to play. It's not good. It's not fiscally responsible. It'd be nice if there was a premium-priced service that gave you access to all games. It'd probably cost me less. Still haven't found time to play MGS5 PC I payed full price for...

Pilgrimm1981

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

only have a normal ps 4 and not gonna make the upgrade for this game. I do have a kickass pc though so i'll wait.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a 1080, and an Xbox one x, and honestly this game looks and runs incredibly. The budget and time they had resulted in some Uncharted-esque console voodoo, treat yourself to the game now. Can't speak to performances on non x or pro consoles though.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@pilgrimm1981: I'm playing on a regular PS4 at the moment and while 90% of the time the game runs well, any time you go into a town the framerate drops to rather low numbers and it noticably starts to chug. Fortunately enough, most of the missions and action takes place in the wild plains where the framerate is fairly stable but boy even the shittiest of towns cause a hard dip.

As far as a PC port goes, I honestly can't imagine how this would play with a keyboard and mouse given how weirdly floaty everything is. Fine on a gamepad but the sort of weighted walking would feel really awkward on a WASD setup.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely wait so that you can benefit from a mod that fixes the movement speed if it bothers you

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really feel like waiting for something that has a chance of not happening. It's a highly anticipated game for me as well. If and when it comes to pc I'll probably double dip, because it's just worth it for me to play right now and worth it to play again with better performance of graphics.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By bybeach

I've picked up the game. My rational to do so in terms of waiting for the pc version was that they will probably not release for a 1 1/2 or 2 year period. After all pc users can be very patient, and better yet the double dippers will be raked in. This game looks great for what I have seen, and I have a decent 4k tv, plus a PS4 pro. The latest X-box sounds even better, and is making me re-think how I approach games, consoles vs computer.

As a side note, I'm not worried about mouse and keyboard, I play most games with a controller these days, except when M+K is the way to go.

ruken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ruken

@barrock said:

I'm so torn. It's a bit of an event, and the game looks incredible. But I have a base PS4. I don't want the experience to suffer because of that. But I also don't want the story spoiled and that might be impossible to avoid for long.

I jumped into this from 144hz PC gaming, and it's pretty bad even on a PS4 Pro. I can't deal with 30 FPS anymore, so console games this big probably just aren't for me. I'd say wait for the PC release.

HalidYusein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only have a PC and not a great one for 2018. I really hope the same thing as GTAV doesn't happen. Game got announced in 2011, released only of consoles in 2013. Next gen and PC version announced at E3 2014. PC version got delayed like 3 times and at the end we got a very good version in 2015. Those next gens really buggered the schedule on that PC port back in the day. RDR2 port will likely depend on what next gen consoles decide to do. IF they come next year then PC port for RDR2 might suffer a similar fate to GTAV and maybe even an RDR1. IF next gen is 2020 though, they might skip a next gen console version and might just do a PC port like GTA 4.

If I had a console, I don't know how I would resist this game. I thought about the case of if I would play it on any machine but with a controller only and even that is tantalizing and I can't really use controllers (not used to them). For the few people out there who are in a similar boat to mine: let's hope it's worth it, because I don't get excited like this for new games that often ("Gotta have it day 1" mentality). I hope you are praying with me, because my prayers are with you (just to make things more absurd).

Dryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read a lot of people claiming the HDR in this game was broken. I hunted down a couple recommended calibration instructions for my OLED C6, and must admit, I can barely imagine this game looking much better. The HDR is FAN-FUCKING-TASTIC! My only gripe, visually, is that the player character flickers occasionally when looking around rapidly. But! One, I hardly ever look around that rapidly, to be honest. And two, I'm hardly ever looking at the player character really. Moot point when playing in First Person.

For those curious, my calibration:

Picture Mode: HDR Effect (User): Medium

OLED: 100

Contrast: 100

Brightness: 50

Sharpness: 0

Color: 50

Tint: 0

Color Temperature: W50

Advanced Controls: All off

Color Gamut: Wide

Gamma: Medium

Noise Reduction: Low

MPEG Reduction: Low

Black Level: Low

Real Cinema: On

Motion Eye Care: Off

TruMotion: Clear

Note: Make sure PS4 System Settings HDR is on (Automatic). Make sure the TV Settings HDR is on (the HDMI is going to the correct input jack, or HDR is turned on for the input jack it is going to).

When this comes to PC, it's gonna be a real stunna'! Probably gonna be a poster child for that new Ray Tracing or whatever.

Dryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Regarding movement, checkout:

https://www.gamesradar.com/best-red-dead-redemption-2-settings/.

These tweaks help. I tried using L3 for running. It works great, but unfortunately, I suffer major thumb fatigue, so the button is easier for me over long stretches (I wish Destiny would give you this option. The fatigue really prevents me from playing Destiny more).

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Because I don't have a current generation console and I'm apparently a weirdo who doesn't fall into the hype of a new game very often, I'll wait it out. More signs are pointing to it coming to PC at some point, and there are plenty of other games I can play for the few moments of which I have available.

@humanity said:

As far as a PC port goes, I honestly can't imagine how this would play with a keyboard and mouse given how weirdly floaty everything is. Fine on a gamepad but the sort of weighted walking would feel really awkward on a WASD setup.

If GTAV is a decent frame of reference for character movement, it'll be fine. If anything, going though the list of key bindings would be a time consuming issue, but a Logitech G300s or a Roccat Tyon can alleviate that by having keys like Z, X, C, Q, E and H on your right hand.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it's out next year I have no problem waiting.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm waiting until they port it to Switch.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Waiting. Interested to see world, animations, interactions. Not that interested to “play”. Never been a huge rockstar fan. Basic type guns(pistol, shotty, sniper, smg, bolt action) and poor-decent third person shooting is just not even close to my favorte kind of game. Don’t need to spend that money on a ps4 version for my non pro when I have a 1070 and am looking to heavily upgrade my pc next year.

I feel equally blah about games I bought with pc versions sometime after but a lot of those are unexpected and a ton are coming from last gen fan favorites.

darkjohnny47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By darkjohnny47

Its funny to me to Expect a game to come out for PC, when it has never been announced and Take Two has never said anything about a PC version.

If that's the case, I'm gonna wait for a Nintendo game on My xbox or PC.

PC master race just expecting a game for their system is silly, just play the game, don't wait 2 years because you want it to look better. I have a Xbox one s and it runs and looks fine.

Gosh, i might be stupid, but i have bought Diablo 3 4 times and will buy it again on Switch when it comes out. if you have a console to play it on, don't wait, just buy it again later

Just remember, not every game comes out on every system. Red Dead 1 never came to PC, after all.

lase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're on the fence, I would recommend waiting, especially if you've played previous Rockstar games on PC, on the basis of controls alone. The thumbstick aiming is so bad you wouldn't believe it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.