Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption II

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Oct 26, 2018

The third game in Rockstar's Wild West-themed series is a prequel to the events of Red Dead Redemption, returning to the open-world action of its predecessor.

How can RDR 2 be this bad with the tutorials?

• 56 results
    Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@ibmer: But everything is not there in the help section - lot of it is but not all. For example the thing that Dan mentioned in the first Quick Look about changing your position in a riding formation.

Ahh, that "fun" feeling trying to tame your first horse and reading the info from the black box while holding on to a bucking horse.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

@therealturk@ares42

I think I've found that distance matters. If you're within a couple steps of the horse, L2 triggers the horse care options (feed, brush, pat, etc). If you're outside that range, it triggers the horse command options (stay, come, flee).

At least, I think that's how it works.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@big_denim: I've not had any problems with it not showing the command set I was looking for. However I did realize that it doesn't show and prompts at all if you have a weapon unsheathed. So I'm guessing that's what @therealturk was talking about.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@ares42: Yup. You need to holster the gun as well. This is particularly important when interacting with people too ?

IBMer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@charlie_victor_bravo: Ah well, people praised BOTW for not explaining everything and I do enjoy finding little things like that out (though I have no problems reading the tooltips)

lase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is of course speculation, but I think it's possible Rockstar doesn't realize their game is confusing. From a development perspective, I would wager that most of the actual mechanical systems in this game have been in a playable for years and years at this point. After those are in a semi-working state, it's time to flesh out this amazing world with the perfect terrains, textures, animations, voice acting - you name it.

If you've been interfacing with this game for such a very long time, it seems easy to forget that any individual mechanic might be difficult to grasp. Playtesting is the answer for this type of thing, but given the breadth of the game, I can't imagine there were a lot of "full playthrough" tests, but rather "okay, now play a demo of this duel, how does that feel to you?". In a vacuum like this, any individual component isn't that hard to understand. Everything starts to break down when you're trying to read the horse sprinting tooltip while steering your mount and getting shot in the back.

FoolishChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By FoolishChaos

My issue with the tutorials is that they seems to never stop.

I had been to several stores and fully kitted myself out to be a cowboy murder man, and then in a mission they are telling me how to buy alcohol from a store. Its like, they show us this sweet town 5 hours earlier and don't think they players have already been to every fucking store and probably robbed them blind by this point?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.