Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 10, 2007

A first-person puzzle game developed by Valve and graduates of DigiPen, Portal forces a human test subject to run a gauntlet of grueling spatial experiments administered by a malfunctioning, psychotic artificial intelligence named GLaDOS.

Portal Gets A New Ending

• 118 results
    selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By selbie

The what in the what position?

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By Joeyoe31

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABEEEEEEE

ImBigInJapan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#103  Edited By ImBigInJapan
    @PapaLazarou said:
    " @theMuse said:
    " This video reminded me just how aged the source engine is. TF2 doesn't show it, but any of the other source engine based games do. "
     Well Source is like 7 years old. Designed to be released in 2003, delayed due to that hacker who stole the Code. Frigging when you look at Half-Life and then Half-Life 2 that was a 6 year gap and man Half-Life looked so old. I think Source has done amazingly well to still look up to date. You can be playing Left 4 Dead and the character faces and animation still look better than most games today. The physics inside the game are still better than most other games around. Like you'll be playing an UE3 game and frigging all their worlds feel very static, rag dolls still have no weight to them.   I love Source but it does need to be replaced with a newer engine and I'm hoping they'll use HL3 to launch it on. "

I have a hypothesis that this is the reason that the next Half Life has taken so long to surface. With the secretive way Valve operates, though, that is total speculation... not that I really mind - I'm getting the next HL whenever the heck it comes out regardless of the engine it's on, but for future projects Valve really needs to take a look at their engine. It's not like the days when the superiority of HL2 gameplay was pretty much indisputable. A lot of developers have taken the lessons Valve taught to heart (and some are still struggling, of course).
    Kovski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Kovski

Oh i thought they would retcon the whole silly part of the game that came after completing the 
    test chambers, because the first part of the game was a really solid and fresh kind of puzzle game  and the whole "something is terrible wrong"-feeling I got when I first encountered the broken walls and messages of "cake is a lie" was more of a really nice bonus. But the part after the test chambers just felt out of place and broke the whole atmosphere of the game for me and is a part of why i never feel like replaying the game again. I hoped that Valve understood it really just was meaningless and desperate way to fill out the game time so they decided to retcon that part, but i guess they never did and it is a bit too late to do anything about it anyway.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#105  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Valve sure know how to do viral marketing. I'm already excited for whatever valve are hinting at with this stuff, and I don't even know what it is!!

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By august
    @Kovski said:

" Oh i thought they would retcon the whole silly part of the game that came after completing the  test chambers, because the first part of the game was a really solid and fresh kind of puzzle game  and the whole "something is terrible wrong"-feeling I got when I first encountered the broken walls and messages of "cake is a lie" was more of a really nice bonus. But the part after the test chambers just felt out of place and broke the whole atmosphere of the game for me and is a part of why i never feel like replaying the game again. I hoped that Valve understood it really just was meaningless and desperate way to fill out the game time so they decided to retcon that part, but i guess they never did and it is a bit too late to do anything about it anyway. "

The whole point of the game is to make you want to escape, to break the test and get out. I really have never heard the opinion you're espousing and find it genuinely bizarre.
    James0890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By James0890

You've got to love Valve, they are incredibly successful with Steam which gives them free reigns to do this kind of stuff, could you imagine any other developer/publisher doing something like this?

Also in regards to previous posts, I hope they keep Source for HL2:EP3 and Portal 2, Source is amazing well optimized and it looks fantastic, why change that?

Andheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#108  Edited By Andheez

Ive said all along that Episode 3 and Portal would be merged, why else would they put them in the same universe?

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#109  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @ThatFrood said:
    " This, along with the news that Steam is coming to mac osx? Those Valve people are crazy. Crazy like a fox. "
    Exactly. They're not Crazy Insane.

Btw, why wasn't there a warning that the video was a spoiler? wtf!
    mthe1337one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By mthe1337one
    @Lind_L_Taylor said:

" @ThatFrood said:

" This, along with the news that Steam is coming to mac osx? Those Valve people are crazy. Crazy like a fox. "
    Exactly. They're not Crazy Insane.  Btw, why wasn't there a warning that the video was a spoiler? wtf! "
    quote from article:
    " Watch out for "spoilers," if you "catch" my "drift." "

=\
    wiII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By wiII
    @Kovski said:

" Oh i thought they would retcon the whole silly part of the game that came after completing the  test chambers, because the first part of the game was a really solid and fresh kind of puzzle game  and the whole "something is terrible wrong"-feeling I got when I first encountered the broken walls and messages of "cake is a lie" was more of a really nice bonus. But the part after the test chambers just felt out of place and broke the whole atmosphere of the game for me and is a part of why i never feel like replaying the game again. I hoped that Valve understood it really just was meaningless and desperate way to fill out the game time so they decided to retcon that part, but i guess they never did and it is a bit too late to do anything about it anyway. "

Wow, that is a strange point of view.......  I guess one mans nice bonus to pad out the game, is anothers ingenious game design.  

The element of escape is great for both story and gameplay.  Game starts out mysterious, in a clean, somewhat safe, test environment.  Slowly you get hints along the way, all while you are learning portal techniques through subtle hints on the test chambers walls.  Then the escape comes and  help/hints/safety/clear goals go out the window.  You are left just with your previous knowledge from the test chambers.    Great  "ramping up" puzzle design rapped nicely around a interesting story.
    MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#112  Edited By MeatSim

I forgot I never actually finished Portal. 

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#113  Edited By Whisperkill
    @Meatsim said:
    " I forgot I never actually finished Portal.  "
    BLASPHEMY!!!
    woltkezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#115  Edited By woltkezero

Ok folks... heres the deal.  They are Rolling out Steam for the Mac.... rereleasing Portal/Team Fortress 2/Half-Life 2 on Opening day.  I say cool.  

And Previewing Portal 2 :-) 

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#116  Edited By Claude

And I get a new reason to play. Damn you Valve, backlog bitches, I've got a backlog.
    Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#117  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @mthe1337one said:
    " @Lind_L_Taylor said:

" @ThatFrood said:

Exactly. They're not Crazy Insane.  Btw, why wasn't there a warning that the video was a spoiler? wtf! "
    quote from article: " Watch out for "spoilers," if you "catch" my "drift." "  =\ "
    I was kidding!  =P
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By august
    pepsicolagirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#119  Edited By pepsicolagirl

awesome

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.