Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 10, 2007

A first-person puzzle game developed by Valve and graduates of DigiPen, Portal forces a human test subject to run a gauntlet of grueling spatial experiments administered by a malfunctioning, psychotic artificial intelligence named GLaDOS.

In restrospect, how do you feel about it?

HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By HypoXenophobia

I felt the gameplay was interesting but lost it's luster after halfway through the game. The humor really did nothing for me along with the "payoff." I hear the game constantly referrenced as one of the greatest games of this generation, but I just get the feeling most of it is because it was short enough to beat.  

How do you feel about it?
    Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Seedofpower

It was a great.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By thatfrood

Great game

HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By HypoXenophobia
    @ThatFrood:
    @Seedofpower:
    Care to elaborate why? I'm not trying to troll, I'm just curious what made it a good game.
    Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Suicrat

That game is awesome, and playable multiple times, but I understand why some people don't enjoy it as much as I do. I love genre-fusion (toward the goal of genre-obliteration, but that's another matter), so I loved the idea of fusing platforming, puzzling, and first-person perspective into one game. Personally, I think it finds itself halfway through, and that the initial stages are too facile.

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bubahula

i love it, great sense of humor, great challenging puzzles and a new awesome idea. 
    the sense of satisfaction is overwhelming when you pull off a perfectly executed  puzzle.
    AdventOblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AdventOblivion

I loved it in my initial play through, but i have no desire to ever go back to it.  
    I feel the same way about Bioshock and Dead Space. 

I know I'm in the minority.

HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HypoXenophobia
    @Suicrat:
    I felt the game kinda found itself at the escape. It seemed like if the whole game had been using this gun on everyday environments, it would have been fascinating. But everything prior to that just felt like an over extended tutorial level. I'm curious if you ever played Crush for the PSP? It fused 2d/3d with platforming and puzzling. Seems like something you might enjoy if you enjoy genre fusion.
    TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheGremp

It's just so charming, while at the same time providing a great set of creative puzzles.  I'm gonna remember this game for a long time.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By hatking

I loved playing through it as soon as I put The Orange Box in the disc tray.  I think I might have gone back and did a couple challenge missions at one point not too long after beating it but I not since then have I touched it.  Funny thing is I was super hung over on Sunday and just wanted to relax and play some chill game, that really jumped out to me as an option, but I couldn't even get past the 360's menu without wanting to hurl.  I ended up watching my roommate play Fable 2 instead, but the thought of Portal is still strong in my head and being it has been so long I don't really remember that game so well... I think I might go back to it.  

Not really sure why specifically I enjoyed it, probably had something to do with it being a first person game where you never directly kill anything... and it was just technically really well made.
    clapperdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By clapperdude

I think its awesome. Has a lot of replay value for me since it has the bonus stages and challenges (which are super challenging to me). And lastly found the environment as a test subject and the humor encompassing that to be very entertaining.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Suicrat
    @HypoXenophobia said:
    " @Suicrat: I felt the game kinda found itself at the escape. It seemed like if the whole game had been using this gun on everyday environments, it would have been fascinating. But everything prior to that just felt like an over extended tutorial level. I'm curious if you ever played Crush for the PSP? It fused 2d/3d with platforming and puzzling. Seems like something you might enjoy if you enjoy genre fusion. "
    Sadly, I never played that game, nor Exit, or the one that looked like it was made by MC Escher, because I don't have a PSP.

Otherwise, all of those games would likely have found their way on to my fresh-thinking platformer list. (I omitted Portal from that, because I included games that did 2 of the 3 things Portal did, before Portal did them.)

Minus the actual method of platforming, which, in my opinion is worthy of mention in my fresh-thinking platformers list...
    HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HypoXenophobia
    @Suicrat said:
    Sadly, I never played that game, nor Exit, or the one that looked like it was made by MC Escher, because I don't have a PSP. 

Are you talking about EchoChrome? It's available on PSN. And Exit is available on XBLA. Though Exit while interesting, got tedious quickly for me. Crush has an MC Escher vibe to it also.
    mrburger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mrburger

That it was "short enough to beat" should mean pretty little to anyone who actually has the game at heart.  A great short story isn't great because it's shorter than a novel.  And Portal IS a great short story.  The writing is absolutely top-notch--not just in the context of video games, but simply by the common standards of storytelling.  Glados (sic), specifically, has every right to go down in gaming  history as one of the most ingenious and enjoyable characters there'll ever be.  As for a common complaint:  the second half of Portal stands in obvious contrast to the first half, but neither manages to surpass the other in memorability.  The stark industrial aspect of the first half lends so much tension (and hilarity) to the second that all simply couldn't be there if the game were solely one way or the other.  The tutorialesque banality of Glados's training program is pure, well-paced poetry.  In the hands of anyone else, it should have been much worse.  Watch a few friends play through, ye naysayers, and watch how each struggles at his/her own special part of the learning process in his/her own little way; at least once, a puzzle that took you like 45 minutes to figure out will not even register as a challenge to your friend--and vice versa.  Add to this the fact that Valve brought something entirely new to the table with Portal, that it wasn't just honing a preexisting genre but rather taking a risk and making it look easy.  Really, if it comes down to anything, what makes Portal so richly pleasing, what makes it so hard not to adore, is the fact that it's just Valve being Valve again, proving that they can do no wrong, no-how.  In an absolute nutshell:  don't ask these types of questions in public, particularly at such a moody hour, and on a Monday, of all days.  Despondence rules retrospect with an iron fist, particularly w/r/t juggernaut sleepers, such as Portal.

HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HypoXenophobia
    @mrburger said:
    "That it was "short enough to beat" should mean pretty little to anyone who actually has the game at heart.  A great short story isn't great because it's shorter than a novel.  And Portal IS a great short story.  The writing is absolutely top-notch--not just in the context of video games, but simply by the common standards of storytelling.  Glados (sic), specifically, has every right to go down in gaming  history as one of the most ingenious and enjoyable characters there'll ever be.  As for a common complaint:  the second half of Portal stands in obvious contrast to the first half, but neither manages to surpass the other in memorability.  The stark industrial aspect of the first half lends so much tension (and hilarity) to the second that all simply couldn't be there if the game were solely one way or the other.  The tutorialesque banality of Glados's training program is pure, well-paced poetry.  In the hands of anyone else, it should have been much worse.  Watch a few friends play through, ye naysayers, and watch how each struggles at his/her own special part of the learning process in his/her own little way; at least once, a puzzle that took you like 45 minutes to figure out will not even register as a challenge to your friend--and vice versa.  Add to this the fact that Valve brought something entirely new to the table with Portal, that it wasn't just honing a preexisting genre but rather taking a risk and making it look easy.  Really, if it comes down to anything, what makes Portal so richly pleasing, what makes it so hard not to adore, is the fact that it's just Valve being Valve again, proving that they can do no wrong, no-how.  In an absolute nutshell:  don't ask these types of questions in public, particularly at such a moody hour, and on a Monday, of all days.  Despondence rules retrospect with an iron fist, particularly w/r/t juggernaut sleepers, such as Portal. "

So you at least gave something worth chewing on. Is it really that much of an original story? Machine goes awry with the person under its control defeating it. 2001 is an incredibly famous depiction of this same trite story, except 2001 had deep contextual issues not found in Portal. So what makes the story of Portal great? It was for the most part grafted on, from listening to the developer commentary and previous interviews.  

Is Glados humorous though? I never found myself remotely chuckingly. It seemed pretty trite. The only interesting thing I personally found was how the dialogue corresponded to the user. But I don't feel that is entirely new.  

I'll agree it was interesting watch other people solve the puzzles, but the puzzles never felt challenging. Listening to the dev commentary afterwards, really kinda drove home that this game was pretty much idiot-proofed. But I guess I'm not a Valve person. Don't get me wrong, I give their games a college try. But, something about Valve games just really don't interest me. Which is kinda the point of this topic, millions of people can't be wrong, then what am i missing?
    Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Suicrat
    @HypoXenophobia said:
    " @Suicrat said:

Are you talking about EchoChrome? It's available on PSN. And Exit is available on XBLA. Though Exit while interesting, got tedious quickly for me. Crush has an MC Escher vibe to it also. "
    My sequence of status updates will tell you why none of that is any consolation to me at the moment :(
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By Meowayne

Portal is without a doubt the best game this generation produced. Almost every aspect of it should be a shining example to every developer.

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By ToxicFruit

It was great. something different. with a good story and gameplay

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Suicrat
    @Meowayne said:
    " Portal is without a doubt the best game this generation produced. Almost every aspect of it should be a shining example to every developer. "
    I wouldn't say its length is a shining example. (Though I wouldn't want other developers to copy any other aspect of the game, really, and I doubt that's what you meant so... yeah... Portal's awesome, despite its length, not because of it is what I'm trying to say.)
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By Meowayne

So what makes the story of Portal great? 

The story of portal isn't great. Neither is the story of Shadow of the Colossus, or the story of Half-Life 2. Neither is the story of American Beauty, or the story of Terminator. The story of The Shawshank Redemption isn't all that great either when put into a brief description. The same goes for most of the works of Shakespeare: Their plots are mostly incredibly trivial and soap-opera-ish.

It's all in the storytelling. 

The main character in Portal does not speak. There are no supporting characters. There are little to no props. There are no significant action sequences. Basically, there isn't even much of a plot. And yet the developers managed to conjur up a believable, atmospheric world that the player easily slips into and is emotionally involved with. GlaDOS is a static, mostly un-seen object and yet she is the best written game character in the last decade or more. Its a one-woman-show: The developers managed to tell an episode of adventure with a single monologe and a clever setting. There is no piece of storytelling that is not also gameplay. There is no piece of storytelling that does not involve the player.
    It would not have been possible as a movie, a book, a stage or radio play. It is a videogame. The storytelling is aware of the fact that it is a videogame. It uses the tools of an interactive audiovisual medium to involve the recipient and build a world around him.

Very, very, very few games do this. And of those who do, the smallest percentage do it as well as Portal. It is the embodiment of video game storytelling done right. 

Less "what can we do in order to make this as close to a Michael Bay movie as possible" and more "how can we take advantage of the medium's potential" please.
    Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Drebin_893

Absolutely  incredible. I had, and have, no interest in playing that game more than once, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I went into it thinking that there was really no story but as I progressed I found signs of others who were trying to escape and man was it a awesome feeling, it's like playing tetris and finding out theres an amazing back story to why the fuck you have to stack blocks.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By JoelTGM

I feel... that $20 for the game is too high.  I rented the orange box a while back, never got to finish Portal, it was an interesting game.  I was about to buy it today, and I saw that it was either $30 for the whole orange box with all those games that I already own, or $20 if I just want Portal separately.  Too high...

SolemnOaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SolemnOaf

Portal; vastly overrated, but the type of game easily adored by those who have long since lost the joy of gaming, for whatever reason.  A game for non-gamers who continue to game.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

It was ok. 

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Kohe321

It was awesome, though I just played through it once. Amazing game, though.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By napalm

GlaDOS makes Portal what it is. She injects sterile personality, dark humor, and affection for inanimate objects into the world.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#30  Edited By citizenkane

Truthfully, I never actually finished Portal.  -__-

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By Kyreo

Two thumbs up, 9 out of 10, 5 stars, or however you wanna say it.... 

I really enjoyed Portal and am tangibly excited for Portal 2.  

SteveVice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By SteveVice

So so....and but it spawned many more of the Valve-sheeps which really sucks.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By Kyreo
    @Meowayne said:
    "  

So what makes the story of Portal great? 

The story of portal isn't great. Neither is the story of Shadow of the Colossus, or the story of Half-Life 2. Neither is the story of American Beauty, or the story of Terminator. The story of The Shawshank Redemption isn't all that great either when put into a brief description. The same goes for most of the works of Shakespeare: Their plots are mostly incredibly trivial and soap-opera-ish. It's all in the storytelling.   The main character in Portal does not speak. There are no supporting characters. There are little to no props. There are no significant action sequences. Basically, there isn't even much of a plot. And yet the developers managed to conjur up a believable, atmospheric world that the player easily slips into and is emotionally involved with. GlaDOS is a static, mostly un-seen object and yet she is the best written game character in the last decade or more. Its a one-woman-show: The developers managed to tell an episode of adventure with a single monologe and a clever setting. There is no piece of storytelling that is not also gameplay. There is no piece of storytelling that does not involve the player. It would not have been possible as a movie, a book, a stage or radio play. It is a videogame. The storytelling is aware of the fact that it is a videogame. It uses the tools of an interactive audiovisual medium to involve the recipient and build a world around him.  Very, very, very few games do this. And of those who do, the smallest percentage do it as well as Portal. It is the embodiment of video game storytelling done right.   Less "what can we do in order to make this as close to a Michael Bay movie as possible" and more "how can we take advantage of the medium's potential" please. "
    Word Squared.
    luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By luce

Great little game. I wouldn't have given it a second glance if it wasn't packaged with the orange box though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HypoXenophobia said:
    " @Suicrat: I felt the game kinda found itself at the escape. It seemed like if the whole game had been using this gun on everyday environments, it would have been fascinating."
    A few mods tried that, didn't work too well. There are technical limitations as well as logical problems. It's simply hard to create compelling puzzles when you can place portals literally everywhere. You need some artificial limitations in order to allow for linear progression. The player needs to be guided, at least a little.
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#36  Edited By BeachThunder

It was delicious, but sadly I don't think I can bring myself to replay it, even with the new radio updates. As was mentioned earlier, the game did feel like an extended tutorial, perhaps that's why it seems hard to return to. Also, some of the challenges are far too hard for me. 

I look forward to Portal 2, but now that Valve mentions it, Portal 1 really did seem like just a "test bed"; an extremely well designed and presented "test bed".

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#37  Edited By mracoon

Still love it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.