Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Is alienware worth it?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By laserbolts

So i'm currently looking at my options for a gaming rig and I know very little about computers. I hear that alienware is supposed to be really good. Are they overpriced? I was looking at the X51 and some of the specs are as follows:

Processor3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-3770 (3.4GHz, 8MB Cache, w/ Hyper-Threading and Turbo Boost 2.0)
    Operating SystemGenuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
    Memory8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz
    Hard Drive1TB SATA 3Gb/s (7,200RPM) 32MB Cache
    Video Card1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 555
    Optical DriveSlot-Loading Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD±RW, CD-RW)

The price is $1,149.99. Will this be able to run pretty much anything? Will it be a decent computer for a while? Probably going to order this bad boy.

Dezztroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Dezztroy

Alienware is never, ever worth it. Atleast a quarter of the price is from the brand. Just spend the extra hour to assemble it yourself and save a couple hundred bucks.

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By gearhead

The answer to the question of whether Alienware is overpriced is always: Yes.

Your are paying quite a bit more for just the brand name/case, which you really don't need. I would say you could look around on sites like Newegg or Tigerdirect, and price out some of the items that are already in this PC for far cheaper. That graphics card for instance in the Alienware build is definitely not worth the price of the overall package. Once you have an idea of what you are going to get, you can run it by this forum again or even just ask what is the best:_____, and we'll be happy to help.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By laserbolts

@Gearhead: So is building your own rig as simple as just picking what you want and ordering it? What if I miss something? God I wish I knew what I was doing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@Dezztroy said:

Alienware is never, ever worth it. Atleast a quarter of the price is from the brand. Just spend the extra hour to assemble it yourself and save a couple hundred bucks.

This isn't an option if he doesn't know how to do it though. It might be easy for tech guys like you and me, but some people would have a hard time with it. This doesn't mean he should buy Alienware though. :-)

kingofpeanuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By kingofpeanuts

@laserbolts: Go to the tested video of them building Jeffs computer. It will take you through it step by step.

Dezztroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Dezztroy

@laserbolts said:

@Gearhead: So is building your own rig as simple as just picking what you want and ordering it? What if I miss something? God I wish I knew what I was doing.

You'll need some simple knowledge of which parts are compatible (motherboard and CPU compatability mostly). You can easily find enough information and guides out there to know what parts you need and how to assemble them. Friend of mine who was quite inept when it came to the technical side of computers did this, he's had a fairly great gaming PC for a few months now without any problems.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By laserbolts

@wewantsthering said:

@Dezztroy said:

This isn't an option if he doesn't know how to do it though. It might be easy for tech guys like you and me, but some people would have a hard time with it. This doesn't mean he should buy Alienware though. :-)

If building a computer is something that isn't too complicated then I should be able to do it. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scared of doing this though.

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
    deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Financially it's not worth it but it may be worth it for your level of investment in technology or how much labour saving you want.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By AlexW00d

@laserbolts said:

@wewantsthering said:

@Dezztroy said:

If building a computer is something that isn't too complicated then I should be able to do it. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scared of doing this though.

It's just Lego man.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By laserbolts

@kingofpeanuts said:

@laserbolts: Go to the tested video of them building Jeffs computer. It will take you through it step by step.

You sure they have it up? Ive went through like 25 pages of videos and cant find it. When did they do it?

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ravenlight
    jacksmedulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jacksmedulla
    l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By l4wd0g

You're paying for the brand name, much like Nike, Adidas, Sony etc.

Mine was reliable, but over priced.

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By clstirens

@laserbolts said:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2148471&CatId=3669

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2580503&CatId=4910

This is every part you will need to build a pc. Tested has a good tutorial on how to put it all together. This should run you about $850 for a desktop.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By laserbolts

@Ravenlight: thanks

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Justin258

@laserbolts said:

1) Pick out the parts

2) Post them here on GB Forums

3) Someone here will tell you if all of it is good to go or not.

4) Watch a computer building video on Youtube just to be certain

5) When the parts get to your house, put it together. Like Lego's, only screws and expensive circuits are involved.

All you really have to do is be careful. As for Alienware, it's not that they're bad computers so much as it is paying ten dollars for a two dollar bag of chips. They might be damn good chips but they aren't worth ten dollars.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By stonyman65

@laserbolts said:

@kingofpeanuts said:

You sure they have it up? Ive went through like 25 pages of videos and cant find it. When did they do it?

It's their. You probably missed it. The also have the other video they did building the office PC - I'd look at that one. The parts they use are a bit outdated, but the show you everything close up, step by step.

http://www.tested.com/videos/how-to/5406-how-to-build-an-awesome-1500-pc/

There are also a TON of videos on youtube about how to do it. Check out Newegg's channel.

And to answer your question, no. Alienware is not worth it. Not only do they charge way too much, they also use proprietary motherboards and memory made by Dell, the power supplies are also proprietary them as well. If something breaks, you need to get it from them and wait, but if you replace it with something yourself, I believe you void your warranty doing that. You could build a better machine, for much less by yourself. Not to mention actually learn something in the process. It's super easy and only takes about an hour or two. If you HAVE to get one pre-made, I would suggest going with a company called Cyberpower PC. They do it right, for a great price.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By AhmadMetallic

That is hella hella overpriced. You don't need an i7 processor, and that graphics card is shit.  

@AlexW00d said:

@laserbolts said:

@wewantsthering said:

@Dezztroy said:

It's just Lego man.

I disagree. My advice is to find a PC shop that will build it for you for like 10 bucks. If you don't have experience don't go around jamming parts together and damaging them. 
    You pick the parts by having a combination of great hardware with the most bang for your buck (from Newegg perhaps), then have someone assemble it for you.
    laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By laserbolts

@AhmadMetallic said:

That is hella hella overpriced. You don't need an i7 processor, and that graphics card is shit.

@AlexW00d said:

@laserbolts said:

@wewantsthering said:

@Dezztroy said:

It's just Lego man.

I disagree. My advice is to find a PC shop that will build it for you for like 10 bucks. If you don't have experience don't go around jamming parts together and damaging them. You pick the parts by having a combination of great hardware with the most bang for your buck (from Newegg perhaps), then have someone assemble it for you.

Is it really cheap to get a shop to build it for me though? If the specs I listed aren't really good then I don't want to pay that much for it. Sorry I thought alienware made top of the line stuff. All I want is a PC that can run all current games at max and handle games for the next year or 2. I'm not sure how much I will end up spending but i'm willing to go to 2000.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By AlexW00d

@laserbolts said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

That is hella hella overpriced. You don't need an i7 processor, and that graphics card is shit.

@AlexW00d said:

@laserbolts said:

@wewantsthering said:

@Dezztroy said:

It's just Lego man.

I disagree. My advice is to find a PC shop that will build it for you for like 10 bucks. If you don't have experience don't go around jamming parts together and damaging them. You pick the parts by having a combination of great hardware with the most bang for your buck (from Newegg perhaps), then have someone assemble it for you.

Is it really cheap to get a shop to build it for me though? If the specs I listed aren't really good then I don't want to pay that much for it. Sorry I thought alienware made top of the line stuff. All I want is a PC that can run all current games at max and handle games for the next year or 2. I'm not sure how much I will end up spending but i'm willing to go to 2000.

You won't find a shop in the US that will do it for you for cheap. And it's easy, I didn't have any experience when I made mine; no-one does the first time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AlexW00d said:

@laserbolts said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@AlexW00d said:

@laserbolts said:

@wewantsthering said:

@Dezztroy said:

It's just Lego man.

You won't find a shop in the US that will do it for you for cheap. And it's easy, I didn't have any experience when I made mine; no-one does the first time.

The key is having a friend who can step you through it and show him how to do it correctly. The last thing he wants to happen is spend $1500+ and have the thing break because he didn't do it right. I agree that the shops isn't a good idea in the US. A good friend with experience building PCs is your best bet. :-)

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By inkerman

@laserbolts said:

So is building your own rig as simple as just picking what you want and ordering it? What if I miss something? God I wish I knew what I was doing.

It's really pretty easy, just fitting parts together, and these days they all clip together. In my rig there were maybe 6 or 7 screws including those on the case. As pointed out it's choosing what parts you want and how they fit together. The first two choices you make should be what motherboard you want and what CPU you want. In the specs of the motherboard it should list what type of CPU socket it has (it may be compatible with a few). In regards to buying a CPU, my personal recommendation is Intel, rather than AMD. Here's a recent rundown of the current recommended CPUs from Tom's Hardware, they're pretty much the best guys to turn to when looking for parts. As they say, anything getting over about $250 begins to lose real value for money, especially if you want to overclock (which, like building a PC, sounds intimidating, but isn't super hard if you get used to your computer blue screening a couple of times during the process).

Your next decision is graphics card and it will probably be your most expensive purchase. There's the old ATI vs Nvidia debate. A few years ago it was Nvidia all the way, these days both companies are basically neck and neck, although ATI's very latest iteration I believe is currently the very best on the market for single GPU cards. Here's basically what you need to know; ATI cards are usually more cost efficient when we're talking about the lower end side of things (which we're not so we can ignore that) and ATI cards are usually more power efficient (kind of irrelevant unless you're a greenie). Nvidia on the other hand have a big advantage left over from the days they ruled in that most game developers develop on Nvidia cards, making you less likely to run into issues using them (having said that, I have an ATI card and have had maybe one issue in 2 and half years which was fixed easily). Considering you were willing to pay $1200 for a computer, I don't think there's any reason to not go into the higher end stuff. Here's a Tom's Hardware roundup. Don't bother with double graphic's cards in SLI/Crossfire, they're not worth the trouble. I would also steer clear of dual GPU cards, as they are usually far more expensive without the pay off, and again, sometimes have some trouble. Personally, I would recommend the GTX 680, that badboy will deal with all your graphics desires for the next 3-5 years. You have to remember that once you get into high end graphics cards, with exception of handful of games, even a lower high end graphics card will let you play on high for the next few years. I have an ATI 5870 from when they first introduced DirectX 11, that was in 2009 (I think), and it can still run almost every game with full settings, although she's only just started to lose some AA options on games like Battlefield 3.

Next is an easy decision, RAM. Here's the rundown; 8 GBs, more if you got the cash because RAM is cheap as hell, DDR3, I would personally recommend something from Corsair.

Then comes even easier decisions, power and hard drives and a wireless card if you need one. Oh and of course case and aftermarket coolers if you plan to Overclock. The one thing I would say is invest in a small (64GB) or so Solid State Drive to boot Windows off of. Don't put anything else on there, because normal hard drives will do the job for games, but an SSD for the boot will make you fall in love.

Sorry for the wall of text, message me if you want to know more.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By pr1mus

That build is garbage. Putting a weak graphics card like this with the rest of that build is ridiculous. As everyone else said Alienware is overpriced and you pay at the very least a quarter of the price just for the name. Plenty of hardware sites will offer to assemble the PC for you before shipping for 50$ or so if you don't want to or don't know how to assemble it yourself.

mscupcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mscupcakes

I bought an Alienware M17x about 3 or 4 years ago and it was the bomb when I got it, it could run pretty much anything on ultra and the keyboard lights up! It still runs most games great at higher settings. I have to admit I was tantalised by the sweet flashy lights and customisation, but I've never regretted saving up for it. I'd say if you have the money and you want to treat yourself go ahead. But there are definitely cheaper alternatives. I won't be buying another Alienware PC unless I end up winning the lottery, so I'll probably end up building my next PC.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By laserbolts

@Inkerman: Damn dude thanks for all that.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Pinworm45

@laserbolts said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@AlexW00d said:

@laserbolts said:

@wewantsthering said:

@Dezztroy said:

It's just Lego man.

You can get a computer that will do that for less than 2000$. You can probably do it for less than 1000$,unless maybe you want additional things like speakers or monitors or whatever.

Most computer stores (not best buy, the smaller ones that sell parts) will build it for you relatively cheap. My place builds it, installs the OS, and runs tests for a long time to make sure everything is up to par, and it's only 50$ extra.

Everything that needed to be said about alienware has been said. I recommend finding a local computer shop.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By warxsnake

big fat no

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By inkerman

@laserbolts said:

Damn dude thanks for all that.

I forgot to mention that Tom's Hardware (dam I am plugging the shit out of those guys, although that was what got me through building my own PC) has basically a list and rundown of their own PC builds and why they chose the parts they did. If you're really mad, Here's the $1700 'performance' PC build. Although you don't need Hard Drives that big (especially the SSD) or an aftermarket cooler unless you want to over clock, so that's probably a $1400 build. They also have a $1000 dollar build which is also everything you need.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By laserbolts

@Inkerman: Do you have any suggestions for a motherboard? All I really will use this thing for is gaming so i'm not sure what to pick.

Avatar image for not_a_bumblebee
    not_a_bumblebee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By not_a_bumblebee

I would never buy Alienware based on their annoying advertisements.   I guess they are too stupid dope fresh for me.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By VoshiNova

You WILL save money building your own, and you may even enjoy it.

Putting together a rig these days is almost completely plug and play, and the hard part comes from knowing what parts to put together. (compatibility etc.)

Seems like you already know what you want, so go out there and build you a badass Custom alienware. n_n

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By inkerman

@laserbolts said:

Do you have any suggestions for a motherboard? All I really will use this thing for is gaming so i'm not sure what to pick.

I gotta say Mobo's are my weak spot. I really don't understand a whole lot about them. They're important in that all your other parts 'talk' to one another via the motherboard, so a quality one is vital. My one comment, and this is 100% personal preference so take it with a grain of salt, I prefer Asus over Gigabyte. The reason for that was that when I was building my computer of the two Mobo's I was tossing up between, the Gigabyte had a weird design feature which put a heat pipe right against whatever was going to be sitting in a PCIe slot, so since then that's kind of influenced me, even though everything I've heard since about them has been fine. Honestly if I was building from scratch, I'd look at what other system build's had and start from there.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jimbo

I don't know if there's a US equivalent offering the same, but Scan in the UK offers installation insurance for dirt cheap, so if you do manage to fuck something up during installation they'll replace it.  They do it because they want to encourage people to buy PC parts and install themselves rather than go somewhere else and buy a pre-built PC.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Slaegar

@laserbolts said:

So i'm currently looking at my options for a gaming rig and I know very little about computers. I hear that alienware is supposed to be really good. Are they overpriced? I was looking at the X51 and some of the specs are as follows:

Processor3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-3770 (3.4GHz, 8MB Cache, w/ Hyper-Threading and Turbo Boost 2.0)
    Operating SystemGenuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
    Memory8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz
    Hard Drive1TB SATA 3Gb/s (7,200RPM) 32MB Cache
    Video Card1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 555
    Optical DriveSlot-Loading Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD±RW, CD-RW)

The price is $1,149.99. Will this be able to run pretty much anything? Will it be a decent computer for a while? Probably going to order this bad boy.

That is not a high end graphics card. You wouldn't be able to run a lot of games maxed out with that. Prebuilt computers always cheap out the video card, obviously a very important part of a gaming computer and most likely the bottleneck of any game you want to play.

Avatar image for bigchickendinner
    BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BigChickenDinner

Every time I see threads like this I want to cry. Apple, Dell, Alienware, its all the same shit. You just pay for the brand name.

I built my first computer when I was 7. I cant be that smart.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

Everything about that Alienware is pretty nice, except for the fucking GPU.

asmo917

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#39  Edited By asmo917

@laserbolts: Ibuilt my first computer about 14 months ago after watching the Tested videos of them building Jeff's computer and the previous year's video of just Will building a rig about 10 times each and taking meticulous notes. I'm the least mechanically inclined person, so the actual assembly scared me shitless. I had aminor hiccup with a bad mobo, but it's running fine.

My best suggestion is to look for deals on components if you're not in a rush. I don't have my notes with me, but I got a deal on my optical drive when I bought my HD. Got something free with my video card. Got a rebate on my PSU and GPU. Case was on sale. RAM was on sale. All in the course of a week - it was dumb luck. Again, without going back to my notes, I think I saved around $350 compared to what I planed to spend and factoring in that I got a little nicer GPU and a little more RAM than I had planned because of the deals.

TL;DR: Watch the Tested vids a lot and go for it. You'll learn a lot and feel like a badass after building your first machine.

NotAfro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By NotAfro

First off the question is, do you want a small size PC with decent graphical power. I got an X51 for two reasons, it's a great size (about the size of the old fat PS3 and a bit heavier) and the other reason was because I got it on sale.

My X51 has an i5 with the GTX 555 which is just fine. I can run most games at 1080p and get 50~60 FPS. Some open world games like Saints Row 3 and just more demanding games in general like Witcher 2 and Battlefield 3 I can run at 720p nearly maxed out and get 50~60 fps.

You don't need i7 and you don't need a bluray drive unless you want to watch bluray movies. I'm going to buy a bluray drive myself later on and replace the DVD drive that's inside. I got my rig for $850 cuz of the sale which is a perfect price for what it is. It's a small form factor but powerful.

The default prices that they are charging now are harder to justify but it's all up to you.

Trillian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Trillian

My P8Z77-V Pro is working out nicely and two other people i know are using the regular P8Z77-V and its a nice board. But i mean theres a nice few option out there and I got it on sale.

hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By hwy_61

@Dezztroy said:

Alienware is never, ever worth it.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By envane

@laserbolts: crap gfx card ,crap ram , meh os , meh processor (fast but not versatile) , dumbass slot loading dvd drive when bluray drives are $20 etc

no alienware is not worth it , try doghouse or something instead if you need prebuilt

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@Dezztroy said:

Towers: true, laptops: false. It's easier to just buy a smaller alienware laptop and not deal with it because the prices are alright.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By toowalrus

The M11x is hell of cool. Just sayin.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#46  Edited By project343

@laserbolts: If you're not tech savvy enough to build one yourself, that seems like an okay price for a pre-built shiny one with glowing lights and stuff. Hardware-wise, you're looking good to run just about everything on the market at max settings (except for maybe Witcher 2 'uber sampling'--those jerks...).

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Barrock

@laserbolts said:

@wewantsthering said:

@Dezztroy said:

I was simply terrified when I built my computer. I was afraid I'd fuck something up or ruin something. I didn't though. It was simple and didn't take very long. Saved a TON of money.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ShaggE

@laserbolts said:

@wewantsthering said:

@Dezztroy said:

I'd suggest you get a knowledgeable friend to save time finding compatible parts and to troubleshoot anything that may go wrong, but other than that, building a PC is one step above using Lego. As long as you aren't slathering grease all over the motherboard or trying to shove your video card into your RAM slots, you'll be fine. Just pull up a how-to and have at it.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Patman99

@laserbolts: Duder, go to ncix.com. You choose the components (or choose one of their "pre-built" models and then customize) and they will build it for $50. You even get a 1 year warranty where they will replace any parts that were dead on arrival or stopped working (not user error, of course) within that year. You basically get the cheapness of building it yourself plus it being professionally built and wired by guys that swear by their work. I bought one computer from them and apart from the faulty PSU, it has been a literal dream machine.

Rohok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Rohok

No. I bought an Alienware laptop, the USB ports are broken and the PC overheats on Civilization 4 and Sid Meier's Pirates. I bought it a year ago.

Origin PC is better. No, not EA Origin.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.