Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

Based on what we currently know, do you intend on getting a Switch?

• 131 results
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

Poll Based on what we currently know, do you intend on getting a Switch? (1124 votes)

Yes, as soon as possible 30%
    Yes, but maybe not right away 33%
    Undecided 19%
    Nope 18%

In case you missed it, here's the news article from Alex (including the trailer).

Personally, I'm very much on the fence. I just don't know if a hybrid system is something I want.

• 
    paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Based on what we know? Nope. No that would be crazy. It might be a laggy mess with no battery life and awkward controls.

Also they haven't really showed any games. A system needs games.

I am honestly more excited about Red Dead Redemption 2.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gundogan: yeah I suppose it all comes down to personal preference. Every console Nintendo have ever made has been more than worth owning for me.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By cikame

At the moment i'm a Nope.

What's its battery life when rendering a fully open world title like the new Zelda in HD? What's its storage space for downloading games? Does the base unit take an ethernet cable? If not, will all online games be hampered by people's terrible Wi-Fi? How good are it's speakers? Who am i?

(inserting images in between paragraphs is a total crapshoot)
    (inserting images in between paragraphs is a total crapshoot)

'Based on what we currently know' we don't know very much, despite super imposing Skyrim onto it, Bethesda arn't even sure if Skyrim will be on it, so do developers even know what it is yet?

I haven't owned a tablet because i don't like tablets, so the fact that Nintendo are making a tablet is awesome, if i were to get it just to use as a console, would i be getting my money's worth considering i'm not using most of its features? ... Does it have a web browser?

@tom_omb said:

I'll get it eventually. I just hope that's a touch screen.

It's strange, the 'console' would be in it's docking station when used on a TV which would make the touch screen, if it has one, totally unusable... Either it has one and it's totally optional or they're going without this time around, i don't care about touch so that would be fine by me, but it would also rule out backwards compatibility with most WiiU games, so that's probably out too.

an_ancient

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, the software might be compelling if there weren't so many games out, left with then only the hardware's unique selling points, I do not see myself using it. I game on my PC on my couch already and don't have downtime while travelling. The Nvidia shield or Steam Link are actually more compelling at this point if I ever wanted to game in my bedroom.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Probably eventually since I've always bought Nintendo's handhelds, but how soon will depend on price, performance, and what kind of third party support shows up on it. Doesn't matter how good Nintendo's output is, I bought a DS and 3DS mainly for non-Nintendo stuff. I don't see myself getting one anytime soon unless the price is much better than I'm expecting.

MaKiNbAcoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as Zelda is a launch title and the price is right. I'm all in.

That being said, I don't think this thing can be more than $299. I could see Nintendo doing $249 for the base model , and then $299 with pro controller, and some game.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

I need more information to decide. I haven't bought a Nintendo console since the Gamecube....

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I really don't care anything about the console, how it functions or what it does, as long as it plays games, and as long as Nintendo keeps releasing great games, I will buy it.

Hamborgini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's the most likely home for Monster Hunter 5, so yeah.

discomposure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup, it looks awesome.
    Won't be getting it until next September at the very earliest though, when exactly will depend on price & game releases

function404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By function404

I want to wait until a Nintendo exclusive I want comes out on it that I Have to Have (namely Pokemon, and that'll probably be a few years) but I also want to wait until whatever XL/Lite/etc. version they come out with next, which I am wondering how they'd do this time around. I don't doubt they would do some sort of second iteration of the console with better battery, better size, etc.

So I'll probably buy one, but I'll probably wait a year or so. I skipped out on the Wii U because nothing caught my eye, but Pokemon being only on Nintendo will likely draw me to this one eventually. I'm actually really excited for how they'll deal with it.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#112  Edited By Tom_omb

@cikame said:
    @tom_omb said:

I'll get it eventually. I just hope that's a touch screen.

It's strange, the 'console' would be in it's docking station when used on a TV which would make the touch screen, if it has one, totally unusable... Either it has one and it's totally optional or they're going without this time around, i don't care about touch so that would be fine by me, but it would also rule out backwards compatibility with most WiiU games, so that's probably out too.

It's like the choice of playing a Wii U with the pro controller or completely off screen. The duel screen experience is tossed out. I'm fine with this, the only thing it hurts is backwards compatibility with Wii U and 3DS.

Touch is another matter. I love my Wii U and its games, but 80-90% of what I do with that thing is draw on it. I realize I'm the minority on this, but I believe Miiverse is amazing and it's a shame a larger audience didn't buy Wii U and support it.

If it turns out this thing doesn't have a stylus supported touch screen I'll buy it for the Nintendo games, but it will always be a lesser experience to the Wii U. Hearing unconfirmed reports it does have multi-touch, it would be a shame if they went that far without stylus support as well.

pkmnfrk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am 100% getting this as soon as physically possible. I was day one for the WiiU, and did not regret that purchase either.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Not day one but fairly soon after launch, assuming everything works and there are games available.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By NTM

I'm not quite at the 'not right now' because that means that I don't plan on getting it when it comes out. That I don't know, I may want to get it on release, but currently want to know more about what it has to offer, so none of the above really. I hope it supports 5.1 Dolby Digital similar to how Xbox One and PS4 do it. I'm also not into portable, take my gaming on the go; I just want to experience my gaming on a big screen with a good sound set up for full immersion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm just a sucker for Nintendo console, so definitely yes.

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Nope. Doubt there'll be anything on it I'll care about.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The only Nintendo home consoles I've owned is the NES and for a short while a Gamecube. However I've owned all the portable consoles (but not every version of them just one per generation) and since this is the next in the portable generation as well as the home generation I might get it. Especially since as my daughter grows up I'd like to introduce her to Nintendo games as they have a lot of games for kids.

ninjalegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. I have a Wii U so I guess I could play Zelda on that. On the other hand they announced From as a developer. Dark Souls on the go? Sold.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

It's a console/handheld hybrid with full Nintendo first party support (no split development resources) and it looks like it has some pretty good third party support already. That alone is huge. The size of the future install base might convince even more third party developers to support it, and that's exciting to me.

But I'm trying to not get too hyped about it. I need more information.

It's not going to replace my PC+PS4 setup, but I'm still super interested in using it as a handheld.

I'm a bit worried about the size though. My 3DS fits in my pocket just fine. But this thing looks bigger than a Vita and I'm never able to bring my Vita with me anywhere unless I'm wearing a backpack. I'd need to somehow justify bringing it with me, and if it's only made for games I just can't do that. However, if that's a touch screen and this thing is also a potential tablet replacer? I'm on board day one provided the tech under the hood is decent.

I'm also worried about the battery life. But I'm willing to compromise on a lot of things if that's a 720p screen pushing 60 fps. Heck at that point I'll just use it as an in-house handheld with the charging cable plugged in at all times, and not care about battery life or portability or the tablet aspect.

It would also be nice if it was region free and had sensible online features, but I don't expect it. I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the NES, only handhelds, so I'd also be interested in any and all backwards compatibility this thing hopefully has, and how they end up handling the virtual console stuff.

Dryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

It's been too long since I've owned a Nintendo console and/or played one of their games. This seems like the best compromise I'm gonna get anytime soon. I hope Mario Maker comes to it.

dushanan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whatever the next Animal Crossing, Monster Hunter, and Pokemon games are will be coming to the Switch so I'm gonna have to buy one eventually. If there's enough good games besides Zelda at launch, I might buy one then if the price is good enough. I don't know, thinking about the logistics of it being a hybrid console has me worried, because either the games aren't gonna look great (especially third party games), the system will have a bad battery life, or both. The portability of it isn't really an issue for me since I can just stick it in my backpack, but the battery life is a lot more annoying.

So I'll definitely buy one by the time Nintendo "stops supporting the system" officially, though big releases for the 3DS will probably be done in a few months. Ideally I wouldn't have to buy one at all and I could just play Nintendo games on my pc, or I could have an excuse to buy a ps4 besidesPersona but that'll never happen.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By atomicoldman

I need to hear more about it. Most of my time playing my Wii U was on the gamepad from my bedroom (it'd take too long to explain, but gaming in my living room is not ideal.) So already, having a bigger nicer screen to do that is appealing. Main draw for me is being able to take this thing with me anywhere I go. I can't begin to count the number of times I've wanted to play a few levels of 3D World, a few matches of Smash, or build some levels in Mario Maker while on my lunch break. Something like this I can just shove into my bag and take with me.

The big things I'm waiting on is a price point and what the Switch is capable of over the Wii U besides portability and a larger screen. It'd be amazing (though not expected since this is Nintendo) if it had a touch screen and could essentially function as a regular tablet too. Plus I've owned every nintendo console and handheld since the N64 so why stop now.

KogX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly I have periods where I use my WiiU contently for one game then drop it for a month. But, I always have something on my 3ds to play.

So a game system that will have both the 3DS team and WiiU teams together is almost a steal considering that it is almost certain that Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, and a new Zelda (even though I am getting BotW on WiiU) will be on it. I love my 3ds and I upgraded to a New 3ds when I could and I still feel good about it. Personally to me, I feel like I am getting a great deal.

When people are talking about the current gen I feel like they are just focusing on just the WiiU and not how big of a success the 3ds was. While it is not a console in the sense of the Xbox and PS4 I feel like a lot of people do not remember how many great games was on the 3ds.

We had 2 Fire Emblems, an Animal Crossing, A 2d(ish) Zelda, Pokemon, 2 Phoenix Wright game, Multiple Prof. Layton and plenty more I am forgetting right now. Hell the promise of Pokemon alone will be a huge draw and considering it will not be on a secondary console and only on the Switch then the Switch is guarantee have a great exclusive that everyone else will not have, lets not pretend that Game Freak will not be making another pokemon game after Sun and Moon.

I feel decently on the WiiU but I god damn love my n3ds and honestly with the potential of just the 3DS I think I will get the Switch and feel like I am getting cool things like Splatoons as a cool bonus.

Lv4Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$400 or less and it's an instant buy.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By John1912

Actually might be the first Nintendo "console" I have bought since Game Cube. I think this was actually an amazing business decisions for Nintendo. Their consoles never had enough games, and honestly I kinda thought they should get out of the console market. While honestly I would still prefer they went third party for non hand held gaming market, having one piece of hardware for their console and handheld market makes a lot more sense for me personally. Their consoles were never going to be competitive hardware wise. So I think this was a great move on their part, and will likely pay off pretty well.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like enough Nintendo franchises to justify a purchase but I know friends who will definitely get one so I'll be able to play theirs instead.

DonkeyKong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By DonkeyKong

Nope. The main feature of this console is something I will almost certainly never use.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Ry_Ry

I'm in no hurry. I have most of early 2017 booked up with Persona 5 anyhow.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#130  Edited By ProfessorEss

I like the concept but unfortunately my life and my home are beyond device saturation at this point.

gaggle64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#131  Edited By gaggle64

Almost certainly at some point, will wait to see what games & features it'll have when. Could be at launch if it really excels as a portable gaming device.

Rasrimra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course I get one. I'm a gamer! Some of the best games every gen come out exclusively on Nintendo platforms. You would be crazy to miss out on that. I got some money saved up so it's probably launch day for me.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I haven't played a Nintendo console since 2003, why break my streak now?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.