Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

Based on what we currently know, do you intend on getting a Switch?

• 131 results
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

Poll Based on what we currently know, do you intend on getting a Switch? (1124 votes)

Yes, as soon as possible 30%
    Yes, but maybe not right away 33%
    Undecided 19%
    Nope 18%

In case you missed it, here's the news article from Alex (including the trailer).

Personally, I'm very much on the fence. I just don't know if a hybrid system is something I want.

• 
    Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I'll get it eventually. I just hope that's a touch screen.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

When I read the title of this thread, by exact thought was "Nope". Glad to see it included in the poll.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I need to see a game list. Fancy things the console can do is neat and all, but I want to know what software I will be getting if I take the dive.

If they announce a new, proper Animal Crossing though, instant day 1 buy.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

depends on reviews and games. definitely not a day one- more likely a day 365 purchase for me.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

im in most likely. not saying there wont be any possible issues, but honestly it seems like the best path they could have taken at this point. i am a nintendo fanboy so honestly its kind of inevitable.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Immediately sold. I probably would've picked it up after a price cut a year in, but after that slick looking trailer I really think I'll end up pre-ordering this thing. Maybe I'm an easy sell...

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

I was all set to buy a Wii U for my parents last Christmas, in order to take back the PS3 that I gave them to use for Netflix and blu-rays, and then I found out that the Wii U can't play blu-rays. Thanks to that one decision, I never bought a Wii U. I expect Nintendo to make a similar dumb decision or two with the Switch. My guess is stupidly expensive proprietary memory cards. It'll also be interesting to see how powerful this thing actually turns out to be. Price would be nice to know as well.

The idea of Nintendo not splitting their development resources between home and portable consoles is huge, though.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, I will not be getting a Nintendo Switch....but I really hope a friend does so I can at least check it out from time to time.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@bojackhorseman said:
    @spaceinsomniac said:

I was all set to buy a Wii U for my parents last Christmas, in order to take back the PS3 that I gave them to use for Netflix and blu-rays, and then I found out that the Wii U can't play blu-rays. Thanks to that one decision, I never bought a Wii U. I expect Nintendo to make a similar dumb decision or two with the Switch. My guess is stupidly expensive proprietary memory cards. It'll also be interesting to see how powerful this thing actually turns out to be. Price would be nice to know as well.

The idea of Nintendo not splitting their development resources between home and portable consoles is huge, though.

@bojackhorseman said:

When I read the title of this thread, by exact thought was "Nope". Glad to see it included in the poll.

Ah yes, "nope." When you want to say no, and you also want to sound like kind of a dick about it. Great word. I still voted "undecided" though, at least for now.

Huh, that seemed uncalled for. Sorry if I hurt your feelings by having a different opinion than you. Get well soon. xoxo

That wasn't meant as an attack, it's just kind of true. Comedian Demetri Martin has a great bit about the word nope, and people really do only use it when they want to sound happy about saying no, or they want to sound like kind of a dick.

Man: But Doctor, will my mother ever walk again?

Doctor: Nope.

No hurt feelings, and I'm not upset in the least. Sorry if it came off otherwise. It's fun to say nope. Like I said, it's a great word. Depending on the specific details, my feelings towards this thing in the future might be squarely in "nope" territory as well.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

The main reason of me wanting one is all of Nintendo's development teams working on one console from now on. So as long as it has that going for it, I'm in.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I'll be getting one.

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. I have no interest in mobile gaming and while it would be cool to play a new Mario game, getting an underpowered console for that isn't worth it. What I want out of gaming is the most powerful machine possible connected to my TV while I lazily sit on my couch.

I will, however, absolutely buy the mini-NES as soon as its available. Its cheap and those are games I want to play again.

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'll probably be getting one. If it has a good starting lineup then I may be an early adopter. Otherwise I'll wait until a few interesting games come out.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

Depends on the price, but I will for sure get one. I skipped the WiiU, and has regretted it a lot more often than skipping the Xbox One and PS4.
    I don't really care about the portability at all though, I just want to play the Nintendo-exclusives.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They definitely have to show more games to convince me. Have a Wii U and never even played galaxy 2 so no game in there sold me on the platform

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Price point and launch lineup are two big things that still need to be revealed before I come close to a purchasing decision.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

Absolutely. As soon as there is a game I want on it, I'll buy it.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#19  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Maybe at some point a couple of years down the line. I barely play any console games, but the Wii U is totally fine for what it is to me already.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

We don't really know anything we didn't a few months ago. It all depends on stuff like the quality of the hardware, the game release schedule and most of all the price. For under 250 euros I might get this out of curiosity alone.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Nah. I'm good.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've not been this intrigued by a Nintendo product in years. I think the Classic Mini stirred some kind of mid life crisis that I never knew I had - I've owned precisely one Nintendo product in my lifetime.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. I'm all about the VR anymore.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By fnrslvr

I need a Zelda box (er, screen/dock thingy), and I'm technically still a Nintendo fanboy, so yeah, should be an immediate purchase barring any emergencies.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac: Yaa, deleted that post after rereading your post. Misread that a little.

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Yeah. I love Nintendo handhelds and have had a mixed relationship with their consoles. I think this will be a great way to play Nintendo games and also I just thought about this does this mean we'll finally get a real Pokemon game on the TV?!?!?! But I'm in, just maybe not right away.

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
    RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By RalphMoustaccio

Right now, I'm in. If it went on sale tomorrow, I'd impulse-buy the shit out of it (assuming a cost of less than 400 bucks). That might actually change in the approximately six months between now and launch if it sounds less promising, or game announcements are non-existent.

There are no technical details out yet, apart from it having a custom Nvidia Tegra GPU. What I'd like to hear about is things like whether or not it has a gps chip. If it does, this could be used for much more advanced versions of games like Pokemon Go, allowing for on-the-go collection of Pokemon and proper RPG and battle elements due to the more traditional control scheme. Also, is it a touch screen? If so, can they partition the screen in such a way that (3)DS games might be able to be compatible in some way? The trailer showed gameplay from Splatoon, or an as-yet-unannounced sequel, so backwards compatibility of some type is implied, for digital purchases at least. With it having a cartridge/card slot it could also be backwards compatible with (3)DS games if the carts are the same size. Having never owned any iteration of the DS, it would be awesome to have ready access to that game catalog. Lastly, they could conceivably release a headset that the screen could snap into for moderate-fidelity VR, a la the Gear VR. I can't justify the cost of any dedicated VR headset at this point, and I have an iPhone so Gear VR is out. Having a low-cost entry point by utilizing the tech the system already has could be a great way to get some exposure to VR applications/games.

EricSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it is $200, yes. If it is $250, sure. Any more than that? Nope.

I'm not going to spend a ton of money on another Nintendo console that I barely touch, especially one that is using a Tegra chip.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most likely not for a bit. Even though I eventually got a Wii I never really played it much. There wasn't a whole lot I liked about the Wii. The Wii U addressed some of those concerns and had some good games so I bought it relatively early on. Especially with a Target deal that gave me a few games to play with some money off the Wii U. I've enjoyed it a decent amount even though I come to it quite a bit less than my other consoles. I like the overall idea of the Switch, but without the backwards compatibility, which may truly be there they just haven't said, I'm going to keep rooted in my current consoles until I exhaust that well. Then I'll probably move on. If it does have backwards compatibility then I might considering it earlier, but it also depends on the price and the launch lineup.

RickRockmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to make sure things like the online infrastructure and OS are sound, because this is Nintendo we're talking about. If that's all good and the price isn't crazy, I'd probably buy one within the launch month or so.

Discounting the Wii I modded to boot directly into Project M, I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the Gamecube. I'm kind of excited to be excited about Nintendo again, you guys.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

No. Don't know the price, don't know the games, don't know the battery life, and I'm not sold on the whole detachable controllers/tablet business. Let's see how things actually run when it's not hooked up to the base.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By cloudymusic

Yeah, I'll try to get one at launch assuming no huge red flags come up during the pre-launch coverage. It'll never leave my house, but the TV/handheld flexibility is a great fit for how I play games at home.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By oldenglishc

They could shit in a box, stamp Nintendo on the side, and I'd still buy it day one. That being said, I'm super excited about the home and portable line-ups being combined into one machine. Fire Emblem is back on the TV!

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I will eventually, but probably not at launch. Unless that new Mario game is a launch title, or the Switch version of Zelda is substantially better than the Wii U version, I don't see much reason for me to get one. The portable aspect of it doesn't really affect me either way.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care about handheld gaming. The concept does nothing for me.

I'm also tired of Nintendo's franchises. They need big new IPs and more art styles.

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I will get it day one as long as I still have my job.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By BaneFireLord

Since Breath of the Wild is still coming to Wii U and I barely play handhelds anymore, I see no personal need to get this.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll finally get to play Monster Hunter with a controller again, so yeah, I will pick one up eventually.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Nope, but I'm interested in seeing more about it. I'm not sitting here like "fuck this thing forever," so I guess you could call that undecided.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#40  Edited By Slag

I'm curious but I need to know more

• I need to know what 1st party stuff is in the pipeline (Zelda we know for sure, new Mario and Mario kart seem likely based on the video. But when?) and what the launch lineup is.
    • I need to know what sort of third party support it's getting in terms of games (not just which companies are supporting it)
    • I need to know Price of the system and its' games
    • I need to know about the Battery life
    • I need to know about my past VC digital purchases whether they will carry over or not.
    • I need to know what the online experience is like.

among other things.

All in all, I'll probably break down and get eventually. Just a matter of when.

Looks more promising than the WiiU did at launch, but that's not saying much.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks awesome, but I will wait a bit for when it becomes more affordable (where I live consoles launch with INSANE price tags)

I will play Zelda on the WiiU

ExcessDebris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

If I didn't have a Wii U, it would probably be a day one purchase for me with Zelda (given it is 299 or less). With Zelda coming to Wii U, I'll wait to see what the rest of the lineup looks like before spending more of my money on video games.

But I'll be honest, I know myself well enough that I'll get it eventually.

GValo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll need to see what they do about account and VC stuff. I'd also like a good estimated timeline of releases too. I'm very interested in the new Zelda and if this is Nintendo unifying under one platform I'll be SUPER interested in it. I travel a lot to chicago and take the train. If I could play Zelda, Leyton, Animal Crossing, Mario, and Fire Emblem on the train, then play the same games on a TV once I'm there, I will most definitely pick one up.

RickRockmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cmblasko: The Wii U port of MH3U had sensible controls, right? You say that but I'd rather play Monster Hunter on an N-Gage than attack with the right stick again like in the PS2 game.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On the fence. It seems to be what the WiiU was supposed to be. I think the console is very much going to live and die with its games, more importunately the 3rd party games, even more so than its portability. You can only make so many Zelda and Mario-based games before the console runs out. Skyrim on the go is cool, but by the time that comes out on this console, will there really be THAT many people who haven't played it?

Nintendo likes to be different and I think this is the step in the right direction, but outside of 1st party games, what incentive do I have to add yet another gaming system to my life with a PS4 and PC already taking what little my time I have?

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get ready to buy SMB again.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Undecided. I really want to play Breath of the Wild but what other games it offers and price will factor in, and if it somehow has backwards compatibility (wishful thinking on my part) would put me over the edge since there is a few Wii U games I still want to check out. I'm hoping this combination of console and handheld means we see a Fire Emblem on the console, that would probably make me go all in. Bonus points if it's possible to play Awakenings and the latest FE on it.

beanswater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll definitely end up with one someday, but I'd say it depends on the differences between this and the Wii U version for Breath of the Wild and any other launch games. If we find out undocking the switch drops the framerate to 15 to extend battery life to four hours I'll probably just get the Wii U version

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Seeing it, I'm not any more or less in than I was before seeing it. I expect to pick it up relatively quick following release, assuming whatever games are shown between then and now are what I expect them to be.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Redhotchilimist

I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the Wii. The Wii U seemed too poorly supported and the 3DS took years to get any good, at which point I didn't travel as much and didn't need one anymore. All this thing really needs to have is good nintendo games and the ability to use that normal controller in all of their games, and I'm gonna get it.

But also, there's no rush! I probably won't get it at launch or anything, PS4 spent two years getting any games I wanted to play.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.