Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monster Hunter: World

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jan 26, 2018

The fifth primary title in the Monster Hunter franchise features much larger maps, seamless transitions between zones in the map and four-player online co-op. It allows players from Japan and western countries to play together for the first time in the series.

The studio that ported Skyrim wants to port Monster Hunter: World to the Switch

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Article here.

Iron Galaxy has officially extended an olive branch to Capcom requesting that they be given a shot to port the massively successful game to Switch.

Do you think it can be done? Would you buy it if it was?

TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno how viable the port would be, technically speaking, but the potential for a "Dave Lang's Monster Hunter" is too good to ignore.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By MezZa

Would be cool to see so switch owners could play it, but I think its too late for me. I already bought it on ps4 so I don't really see a reason to pick it up for the switch. I plan on picking it up for PC to play with friends later in the year, so I don't really need 3 copies of the same game.

Now if they localized the switch version of generations them we'd be talking. Or if Capcom got then to port whatever G-rank version of World eventually releases.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, maybe if it actually ran well on console but that just seems like a bad idea.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't forget this is also the studio that ported Borderlands 2 to the Vita and ported Arkham Knight to the PC. And while I won't even pretend to know the in and out of why those ports ended up the way they did. Some games are just going to be difficult to port.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MHW barely runs on proper consoles. It's not gonna run on switch.

Neurogia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about they port over Monster Hunter XX to the West, since Capcom is also having difficulty with that.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Given how MHW runs on a base PS4, I cannot imagine the number of technical compromises they’d have to make to make it even feasible for the Switch.

nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By nnickers

That tweet seems like bad business. I suspect Capcom more likely blacklist Iron Galaxy for publicly putting them on blast this way.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah cuz they did such a bang up job on Borderlands for the Vita.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dirty Dave Lang fingers in everything.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@neurogia said:

How about they port over Monster Hunter XX to the West, since Capcom is also having difficulty with that.

This would be the preferred option seeing as I already have the Japanese version on my Switch.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Capcom has to worry about porting Resident Evil 4 to the Switch before they even consider Monster Hunter World.

Not sure why this hasn't happened yet. I'm pretty sure there is some sort of Resident Evil 4 Port doomsday clock at Capcom HQ that resets whenever a new console launches.

Avatar image for atheistpreacher
    AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to put on my tinfoil hat for just a second here.

There were rumors flying around when MHW got announced that Sony had a handshake agreement with Capcom that the game would never be released on Nintendo hardware. The reason is obvious: Nintendo has been kicking Sony's ass in Japan for quite a while now. Everyone focused on the fact that Capcom was trying to break into the west with the series, but this was also Sony's way to push PS4s in their home country, by getting a game from a wildly popular series on their hardware that couldn't be played on the Switch or 3DS.

Before you dismiss this as improbable, recall that (1) since gen 3 the series has been exclusive to Nintendo, for reasons, even though porting the game to Sony's home or handheld devices like the Vita seemed like an obvious source of revenue for Capcom, so a handshake agreement like this would hardly be unprecedented, and (2) Street Fighter 5 was a PS4 exclusive a few years back with Sony funding part of the development process, so they had a working relationship.

In any case, if this is true, the port to Switch isn't just a hardware issue, it's a "we told Sony we wouldn't" issue.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huh, does it really run badly on consoles? I have it on a base PS4 and haven't had any issues aside from one or two slowdowns from a bunch of explosions going off next to me or something.

Anyway, that would be pretty cool if they did a good job on it. I don't think I would get it, but it's a cool idea.

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MerxWorx01

@atheistpreacher: Based on what I understand Capcom was ready to continue making MH games for Sony but the deal never materialized. Whose fault it was is uncertain... but Sony suddenly had five monster hunter clones waiting in the wings for their new hande held, which tells me Sony dropped the ball decided they can hire someone else to make their own MH style games. At which point Capcom made a three-four game deal with Nintendo. That's how I understand it and it sounds like something Sony would do.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By The_Nubster
    DanishingAct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After Batman, Borderlands, and the console port of 7 days to die? I dunno. Love some Lang and co.,but they have a few huge duds.

AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AtheistPreacher

@merxworx01: You may be right. But the point is that a "3-game deal with Nintendo" is itself a tinfoil hat theory, since to my knowledge it was never official, or at least never public. It's only the fact that Capcom never went multiplatform for the past three gens of their game that led people to draw the conclusion that Capcom and Nintendo had an "understanding." I mean, when you speak of a Capcom-Sony "deal" "never materializing"... generally the hardware manufacturers aren't going to turn down software. It's not like Capcom needed to negotiate with Sony in order to develop a MH game for the Vita. It's the seemingly veiled/handshake/secret exclusivity that's weird in this whole equation.

Or is this all just fans tying themselves in knots when the reality is that Capcom is just a lazy developer that only wants to develop for a single platform at a time? Has the advantage of simplicity, just seems inexplicable for all the money they leave on the table.

TheShrubber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nnickers: Boyes worked for Capcom, so I think they probably have a good enough relationship

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@capum15 said:

Huh, does it really run badly on consoles? I have it on a base PS4 and haven't had any issues aside from one or two slowdowns from a bunch of explosions going off next to me or something.

Anyway, that would be pretty cool if they did a good job on it. I don't think I would get it, but it's a cool idea.

I also have it on a base PS4 and the framerate is noticeably inconsistent. It's not egregious or anything, but it's sub-30 a lot of the time. Here's Digital Foundry if you care.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nnickers said:

That tweet seems like bad business. I suspect Capcom more likely blacklist Iron Galaxy for publicly putting them on blast this way.

That seems extremely hyperbolic. How did IG put them on blast in any other way than what Capcom did themselves?

I'd buy it again it it turned out to be half way decent.

JonRambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just don’t see such a multiplayer/coop heavy game being good on Switch. Apparently the game already has some annoying quirks with joining parties, I couldn’t imagine doing that and the voice chat on a Switch. Nintendo has to really up their game with parties, chat, etc before I’d consider playing a game like MHW on Switch.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@capum15 said:

I also have it on a base PS4 and the framerate is noticeably inconsistent. It's not egregious or anything, but it's sub-30 a lot of the time. Here's Digital Foundry if you care.

Ahh, thanks. I barely ever notice framerate stuff unless it's real bad (same with screen tearing too - people on GB stream chat will mention it and many times I just cannot see it). Even showing it off in that video I couldn't really tell on the PS4 bit, though their Xbox part was slightly more noticeable for me due to the consistency.

Maybe it comes from having computers that could barely run a lot of games I played, so I just dealt with slowdown and lag. Kinda don't mind it to be honest, hah.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By BoOzak

@jonrambo: That's true but there have been Monster Hunter games on the Wii, WU, 3DS etc. which all have pretty terrible online and people seem to make it work.

But I agree with everyone who says that current gen hardware (and by that I mean XBO/PS4) struggles with MHW so a Switch version would have to be significantly altered to work.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonrambo said:

I just don’t see such a multiplayer/coop heavy game being good on Switch. Apparently the game already has some annoying quirks with joining parties, I couldn’t imagine doing that and the voice chat on a Switch. Nintendo has to really up their game with parties, chat, etc before I’d consider playing a game like MHW on Switch.

For what it's worth, I played through the story of MHW almost entirely solo. I can't imagine Switch online being much worse than it is on ps4.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After that Batman Pc port and that weird borderlands 2 on VITA port i don't know how i feel about Iron Galaxy's ports if given the time and the money sure, but it's not gonna look well and part of the charm of monster hunter world is the art style and nice light models they use. More power to them but i think this is a bad idea. In a world where long you tube rants about how bad your game or / port job is, this seems like a bad idea.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

foodmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I get desire for consistent framerates, or even just high framerates, but it is disingenuous to say MHW doesn't run properly on consoles unless xbox one has severe issues that haven't been widely reported on.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

Hats off to them for being willing to try. It seems like it would be a big effort, much bigger than Skyrim, to get working properly. I am all for them trying, because the more people who can play something is always good.

I wouldn't get it though, I wouldn't want to restart a game like Monster Hunter because it really doesn't make sense to. You can do everything on one character, and just change weapons around as you see fit.

Also whenever it comes to cross-platform stuff, I prefer to play it on PS4/Vita for Trophy reasons. It is a big reason that my Switch barely gets any use I think, it mostly excels these days as a platform for ports of stuff that I would rather play elsewhere.

AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AtheistPreacher

@addfwyn: Regarding restarting, the one thing I'll say about that it is it can actually be pretty fun to start another character from scratch just to have that sense of progression again. Prior to World coming out, I started new characters on both 3U and 4U and took them through LR and most of HR, even though my existing characters had already long since cleared G and gotten all the end-game equipment I could want. It was fun. So I can see myself starting another character on this game just for kicks, even though I'd never want to delete my primary one; I'd always want to be able to return to having all that hard-earned end-game gear.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jesus_Phish

@foodmonster: Near 90 hours and it's never been unplayable even once for me on a standard launch PS4. Loads pretty quick, frame rate is stable enough even with a lot going on. Dunno where people are coming from with "barely" runs when there's actually games out there that have barely ran.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.