Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monster Hunter: World

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jan 26, 2018

The fifth primary title in the Monster Hunter franchise features much larger maps, seamless transitions between zones in the map and four-player online co-op. It allows players from Japan and western countries to play together for the first time in the series.

Some mid-game questions.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
    Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Fear_the_Booboo

So I’m at the point where I need to hunt a Diablos and I realize I don’t know where to find some information about the monsters. I don’t know if the information is actually there so I’d thought I’d ask.

While I can find what the monsters are weak against, I have no idea how to know which type of elemental damage they’re doing. Some are obvious, but the Diablos itself doesn’t do any type of elemental damage. I had to google it, is the information anywhere in the Guide?

Also I’m currently hunting Legiana (?) to grind materials for an ice sword. I don’t know if I should capture it or simply hunt it. Both options seem to bring different rewards, but I don’t know how to predict which one I’m likely to get.

I’ve googled around but can’t seem to find a direct answer to those specific questions.

Thank you!

dstopia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By dstopia

Capturing and carving a dead monster give different rewards, but 99% of the time, capturing is what you want to do if you're grinding a specific monster.

In MHW specifically, doing an investigation and capturing the monster will give you the most rewards (that I can tell in my limited time in this game).

I don't think they've put any elemental damage info from monsters in the game. In every other Monhun it's usually extremely obvious and only special attacks have elemental properties (Rathalos breathing fire, etc). Some monsters can inflict status effects through physical attacks, but usually only when attacking with a specific part of their body; for example, Rathian's tail will inflict poison.

rubberluffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@fear_the_booboo:

Diablos doesn't need any elements to hit you like a truck.

As for finding out what they use, you either fight them on a test run or look it up online. Also always carry Nulberries with you because elemental attacks can hit you with Blight statuses, which have detrimental effects or make you weaker to that element. Legi's iceblight will affect your stamina and make its ice attacks more dangerous, so Nulberry that shit away.

And yes, there are some carve only rewards, and capping does increase your chances at some of the rarer stuff. Capping is definitely a good choice on monsters that are a bigger pain when they're near death (like good old Diablos), because some, like 'blos, are pretty much permanently enraged when you get them down to limping state.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can use this site for anything MH related: https://mhworld.kiranico.com/

If a monster isn't causing any elemental blight (when you get a status effect from getting hit by elemental attacks) to you, it's not doing elemental damage. I can't think of any off the top of my head that don't work like that. Also remember that even if a monster can do elemental damage, not every one of their attacks will. Like Rathian's fireballs are obviously fire, and you'll take more damage (I think) and be more susceptible to fire blight if your armor is weak to fire, but most of her other attacks just do physical.

Capture is 4 rewards versus 3, but it'll be some different items versus carves. You'll have to get your Research Level up (or check that site) to see what the differences are.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
    Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@rubberluffy: Yeah I’m always bringing nullberries. It’s more a problem of which armor to use or not use against some specific monsters.

From what I understand from the thread it’s obvious when a monsters use an elemental attack. I didn’t realize most attacks were considered as only physical. So I shouldn’t care about elemental defenses unless the monster breathe fire/ice/whatever and only use dragon defense when I’m fighting dragons.

FruitopiaFred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FruitopiaFred

The more you fight a certain monster, their entry in the monster field guide will get updated (hit start, tab over to hunters notes, then monster field guide.)

As it gets updated, it'll start showing their weak points, whats breakable/severable, elemental and ailment weaknesses, what rewards you can get from carving and capturing, stuff like that.

rubberluffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@fear_the_booboo:

Yeah it's clear when an attack is elemental. Elemental attacks tend to have bigger windups or are ranged attacks, and can be easier to avoid.

In 4U i used to play fast and loose with my element resists, as I never changed my armor for what I was fighting (Full Ukanlos set with Charge Blade) and it had terrible fire resist and I would still go into fire fights with it, lol. It's all about not getting hit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.