Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monster Hunter: World

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jan 26, 2018

The fifth primary title in the Monster Hunter franchise features much larger maps, seamless transitions between zones in the map and four-player online co-op. It allows players from Japan and western countries to play together for the first time in the series.

Monster Hunter World is coming to PC! Not just PS4 and Xbox One!

• 78 results
    Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#1  Edited By Forcen

Felt like this might have gotten lost if you just watched the Sony E3 press conference, this tweet got me way more exited than that trailer.

It feels like a PC/Steam release of a Monster Hunter game could really make the series get huge in the west for once, all it needs is a easy way to play online and hunt with, all they need is to make it a good PC port. I'm all worried/exited about this new fresh take and PC port now..

EDIT: Some more details:

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Luchalma

I don't care about the PC release so much (as I'm sure I'll get on PS4) but I'm SO FUCKING STOKED it's on a console now. And call me a graphics who're if you must but it was great to see the MH world in something other than PS2 era graphics for once!

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

in a weird way makes monster hunter xx on switch feel less special now. but pleased it's coming on PC regardless!

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

I wish this was Monster Hunter 5, and not some weird spin off thing.

Fully expecting a mainline game to still be 3DS or something at a later point this year.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

With the PC version coming later I'm pretty sure I'll end up double dipping unless this somehow plays terribly. Fingers crossed the open-world changes don't make it stray too far from the MH formula!

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

I'm not a MH fan because I don't play handheld games like that. I've always wanted to get into it though so I am excited. For now any talk of it as a spin off is of no concern.

To me I'm also kind of looking at it as Dragon's Dogma II. As close as we will probably sadly get at least.

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 4

Release date: Early 2018 (PC release at a later date) - be interesting to know how much later.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Japanese developers don't have a great PC port record. I've heard the Bayonetta and Vanquish ports were good, but those games are old and could probably run on just about anything. Nier was a mediocre port that they haven't even bothered to patch. Tekken 7 is supposed to be a good port. Good ports can happen, but just as often the PC gets ports locked at 1080/30 with few graphics options. I hope they do a good job on this one, but I'll definitely be waiting for reviews.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Forcen

I kind of assumed that this was the new direction of the series be it good or bad but If they make a new numbered game after this that is more traditional then it might be weird.

Should there be two kinds of monster hunter games with two different structures? Western MH and Eastern MH?

EDIT: Maybe it would be like if Nintendo made a new old-school linear Zelda game after breath of the wild.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pyrodactyl

I hope this is an evolution of the franchise now that it's not shackled to a handheld. Open world and drop in drop out coop could be a sign of this evolution. Or the sign of a game dumbed down in an effort to appeal to the west. Hopefully Capcom is not stupid enough to destroy their last truely popular franchise.

JunkerWoland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more of MHW. I just hope what they showed at E3 was purposefully tailored for a larger western audience and that this game hasn't been stripped of its original Japanese charm, particularly from a visual-design standpoint.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Forcen

If they don't have special BBQ spits that play music when you cook the meat rotisserie-style then they went to far, that one in the trailer better be a shitty throwaway spit.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@cameron: Capcom started making good ports around the time they put RE5 out on PC and their track record has been mostly solid since, so this one probably isn't something to worry about.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d056614f191a
    deactivated-5d056614f191a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Yay for PC release

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Zeik

@forcen said:

If they don't have special BBQ spits that play music when you cook the meat rotisserie-style then they went to far, that one in the trailer better be a shitty throwaway spit.

That was the only part of the trailer that had me worried. Monster Hunter has plenty of room for new ideas, like finally doing away with sectioned off areas, and the fact that it's on a console already gives it a few thousand points in its favor over most of the franchise, but if they cut out all the charm to try and make it a super serious monster fighting game then they dun fucked up.

vizard1301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a big monster hunter fan this looks really awesome.

I wanted this kinda monster hunter game for a very long time.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Thank god they are finally putting Monster Hunter out on multiple platforms. I might actually give it a try now that I don't need to play on a DS.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crazy how I'm suddenly 10000% more interested in this franchise now that a game isn't on a tiny handheld screen. Played some of Generations but I just couldn't get past how unfun it was to look at.

Hopefully I can talk my friend into giving this a shot too, since the multiplayer seems like a pretty big draw in these games.

TuxedoCruise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's gonna be weird when a mainline Monster Hunter game finally appears on PC, and Dauntless turns out to be the better Monster Hunter.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Axersia

Never played an MH game in my life but this might be the one. It actually looks like what I always expected MH to be when I first saw screenshots of the original PS2 release back in '04. Then it turned out it's this mission-based game where you hit a loading screen every 10 secs because the map is divided into "zones." How did they stick with that format for so long? I did play a few non-MH hunting games over the years, and MH always seemed like it was years behind in a genre it created.

Putting it on the current-gen shows they're actually putting in the effort, and the open-world structure with easy drop-in co-op is what I always wanted from this style of game. The actual setting still seems really bland to me, but whatever, I'm willing to work with that.

Anyway, not ruling out giving this a try.

EDIT: Also, anyone else annoyed this is officially called "Monster Hunter: World" and not "Monster Hunter World"?

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never played a MH game and thought this looked interesting. So I might give it a shot now that it is coming to a platform I own.

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do we know which MH team is doing this? The main team or the Frontier Online team?

Avatar image for purplepartyrobot
    PurplePartyRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank goodness a Monster Hunter game is coming out on non-Nintendo consoles. I can wait, so I now I don't have to buy a Switch for XX.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@axersia said:

Never played an MH game in my life but this might be the one. It actually looks like what I always expected MH to be when I first saw screenshots of the original PS2 release back in '04. Then it turned out it's this mission-based game where you hit a loading screen every 10 secs because the map is divided into "zones." How did they stick with that format for so long?

Putting out games on handhelds. I also have never had interest because of that type of stuff.

It's crazy it's taken them this long to make this modern console MH game but whatever I am getting real excited for it.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

It's weird that there's no Switch release.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Tried to get into MH4 but couldn't get into a game like that on the hardware. Hopefully this will do the trick.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

It's cool that they're finally taking on the challenge of designing the game without sectioned off areas, I really hope it turns out well!

Now the only bummer is that I'd probably need a new PC to play this with any friends, since none of those a-holes own a console : /

Or I could just pick up the Ps4 version and play it alone.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

stripped of its original Japanese charm, particularly from a visual-design standpoint.

Monster Hunter has always been gaudy and low res it is nice to see their vision taken to the extreme from a visual standpoint no idea why you would want it to look the way they have.

I am okay with it NOT looking like this.
    I am okay with it NOT looking like this.

JunkerWoland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By JunkerWoland

@evilsbane said:
    @junkerwoland said:

stripped of its original Japanese charm, particularly from a visual-design standpoint.

Monster Hunter has always been gaudy and low res it is nice to see their vision taken to the extreme from a visual standpoint no idea why you would want it to look the way they have.

Appealing art direction and designs do not inherently equal good graphics, especially from a technical perspective. I like the current character, item, world, and monster designs in the series, as well as some of the other little quirks like cat companions. If the game overall adopts a generic, western fantasy aesthetic, then I don't really care whether it's been made presentable for HD screens.

Also, my previous post did not suggest I wanted the series to remain on underpowered, low-res hardware, so please don't create an artificial argument.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By daiphyer

very excited about this. I always wanted to try one out, but just couldn't bring myself to play it on a tiny handheld device.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was.. More than a little surprised at how much I liked what I saw in that trailer. Very well might end up checking this out.

blackichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've always wanted to play Monster Hunter but the idea of being hunched over a 3DS for 100 hours just seems like the most unappealing way to play a game of that length. Sucks that it won't be on the Switch though.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@junkerwoland: It was not generic as they showed it and they didn't show much. They showed a simple item set on a character and some awesome looking monsters which will probably end up being the early ones. I don't think there's anything to knock. It's a little tired to make it a Western like boring generic shit all the time way of thinking. They love the Souls games here in a large part because of great visual design. And if you show the early Souls game stuff (the first armor and weapons you get, early zombie enemies) you might think the game didn't have cool design either.

The colors are fine in any case but with that you see the extent it can go. They literally can't add any more visual detail (as far as more detail in the model of the monster) so yeah you may just make them very colorful. Not that it's bad again but to me he's right in that they can't add any more detail in those games. They're hitting the limits of the system.

JunkerWoland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@junkerwoland: It was not generic as they showed it and they didn't show much. They showed a simple item set on a character and some awesome looking monsters which will probably end up being the early ones. I don't think there's anything to knock. It's a little tired to make it a Western like boring generic shit all the time way of thinking. They love the Souls games here in a large part because of great visual design. And if you show the early Souls game stuff (the first armor and weapons you get, early zombie enemies) you might think the game didn't have cool design either.

The colors are fine in any case but with that you see the extent it can go. They literally can't add any more visual detail (as far as more detail in the model of the monster) so yeah you may just make them very colorful. Not that it's bad again but to me he's right in that they can't add any more detail in those games. They're hitting the limits of the system.

I thought the trailer looked very bland.

Beyond that, you seem to be reading too much into my previous posts, leaving me without what I'd consider to be appropriate responses to your comments. As I wrote initially, I'm looking forward to seeing more of the game, and I just hope it doesn't abandon the series' existing visual charm.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@junkerwoland: You said "I just hope what they showed at E3 was purposefully tailored for a larger western audience and that this game hasn't been stripped of its original Japanese charm, particularly from a visual-design standpoint." which is what I was responding to. I thought it was clear what that means.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jacksukeru: Who knows, maybe it will have cross platform multiplayer on steam and ps4 like Street Fighter 5?

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Aaaand Nintendo just stabbed the heart of every Western MH fan by not announcing a release for MHXX on Switch here in their Direct.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@evilsbane said:
    @junkerwoland said:

Appealing art direction and designs do not inherently equal good graphics, especially from a technical perspective. I like the current character, item, world, and monster designs in the series, as well as some of the other little quirks like cat companions. If the game overall adopts a generic, western fantasy aesthetic, then I don't really care whether it's been made presentable for HD screens.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree, I think the art direction and designs in MH have generally been terrible which is why I choose the word gaudy. The new look is more "realistic" but for a game about hunting giant animals I want it to not look like I am fighting cartoon dinosaurs while wearing my reject Final Fantasy garb.

To each their own but I don't find the Art direction appealing in the slightest.
    To each their own but I don't find the Art direction appealing in the slightest.
    Bleh.
    Bleh.
    Its obvious that they have drastically changed the art direction.
    Its obvious that they have drastically changed the art direction.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Forcen

I wonder if they really are willing to make this a home console series only from now on, seems like they need some portable monster hunter game in the future and it won't be this right? Are japan ready to only play this from home and online-mp only?

The alternative is make two new different series, one portable and one not or maybe they could port it to switch later on...

JunkerWoland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By JunkerWoland

@evilsbane said:
    @junkerwoland said:
    @evilsbane said:
    @junkerwoland said:

I guess we will have to agree to disagree, I think the art direction and designs in MH have generally been terrible which is why I choose the word gaudy. The new look is more "realistic" but for a game about hunting giant animals I want it to not look like I am fighting cartoon dinosaurs while wearing my reject Final Fantasy garb.

Given the franchise's nature, it seems like the developers could, to a degree, accommodate multiple tastes through variety and customization. If this first MHW trailer is largely representative of the final game's visuals in their entirety, then again, I think it all looks very bland.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guess it's not a spin-off:

Maybe XX is the last portable main game..

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, this is where the MVCI budget went!

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@forcen said:

Guess it's not a spin-off:

Maybe XX is the last portable main game..

I feel like they're hedging their bets right now. They've got this big new experimental MH coming out, but they've still got that 3DS/Switch game coming to satisfy the traditional/portable fans. By the time they start working on a new MH game they'll probably have more data on the success of these games to decide which direction they need to take it.

vdortizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've never played a monster hunter game, are these online only or single player or a mix of both?

Hamborgini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vdortizo:They're a mix. If this new one works at all like every other MH before it, you'll be able to do all the "online" content by yourself offline, though it will tougher than the purely single-player content.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vdortizo: Mix of both usually, there is a bunch of single player and multiplayer quests which work the way you expect. It was very structured around quests, all with time limits with a clear beginning or an end.

This one seems to blur the lines and lets you play solo and a friend could jump in at any time while on the hunt and just a big open world and a new structure for quests potentially. If you want to see old the quest structure try watching the videos jason recorded of 4U, either the quicklook or the "teach me monster hunter jason". Also check that 2nd tweet in that first post.

neverminder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm happy it's coming on PC but at the same time I'm scared it will be full of cheaters/hackers...

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never played MH before. So you basically hunt monsters, then you cook them? Am I missing something?

Hamborgini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marcsman: You hunt monsters, then use their bits to make better gear to hunter bigger monsters. The cooking bit at the end is... a thing you can do sometimes if you want. It's kind of odd for them to use the meat spit as the end of the trailer, to be honest - especially without the goofy music that always plays when you use it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.