Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Lionhead Studios Ltd.

Company »

Lionhead Studios was a British developer studio founded by industry legend Peter Molyneux. They focus on innovation in God games, management simulators and RPGs. Their first title was released in 2001, called Black & White. The company was formed with people from Bullfrog Productions.

Fable Legends and Project Knoxville Canceled by Microsoft, Studios Facing Closure

• 132 results
    roboculus92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By roboculus92

It's a goddamn shame what's happened to Lionhead. I mean on the one hand, I can see why they would want to cancel the game. It's been in development for almost 4 years, with it being in beta for over 1.5 years. It's also a F2P game that would need a lot of support post release so if you aren't feeling confident about it's long term viability then yeah it's probably better to cut your losses now.

However, that doesn't change the fact that Microsoft has poorly manged Lionhead these last 5 or 6 years. All these different spin offs that nobody wanted and now this last project has finally done them in. I mean maybe the Fable franchise could be revived one day by another developer but it still wouldn't be the same and it's a damn shame that Lionhead never got to make another big RPG.

I hope all those affected are able to get back on their feet soon.

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

Good luck to all the people, gosh. I'm sure there are a lot of places for those folks.

Unfortunately all the games from Lionhead start and end with Fable 2 for me. Max was a pretty okay launch window game. It just makes good business sense.

Here's to Fable!

90sVibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is very unfortunate news. Luved the Fable games. My hopes are with those affected to find new employment quickly :)

Gigabomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Gigabomber

Black and White came out in 2001. This is the equivalent of Rockstar's biggest hits being the original GTA III and Midnight Club.

Gimbal_Lock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pressing F for Lionhead

JuggaloAcidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

Fable Legends was a huge mistake. A Fable game with none of the Fable trappings in it. All they had to do was make a new Fable inspired more by the first Fable! It could have been huge!

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Is "project knoxville" an attempt to make the Tennessee Vols a good SEC team again? People in my state need to know.

Luck702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remasters suck, but I sure would have bought a remaster of Fable 2. That game was incredible.

Avatar image for deactivated-58a3c9b2cc154
    deactivated-58a3c9b2cc154

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still bitter about those a-holes closing Digital Anvil years ago. The sooner they leave the console market the better.

WrathOfGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love that I can jog my memory of a game by watching 5 seconds of a quick look I watched over two years ago.

Bad news. Both studios seemed like they had unfulfilled potential.

robotmayo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fable legends seemed like a mess. I liked Max though even if it wasn't stellar. Good luck to those who lost their jobs.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Hopefully Microsoft stands by their committment to help the affected employees find work and get back on their feet :(

mayor_mccheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By mayor_mccheese

I bought into a lot of the pre-hype for most of Lionhead's major games and honestly I have never been impressed with their offerings. Lots of hot air, gimmicks, and not so clever humor.

Sucks for the employees, though.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

actually, considering how man developers microsoft finances.... I'd imagine anyone involved in Fable would be the last one they would ax. Rememdy I'd imagine they would cut first, even if they are a cult favorite but still come out once every 6 to 7 years with a game and probably cost too much with those insane graphics production.

dredavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Movies is one of the greatest games of all time. I stand by that.

HarrySound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

RIP british jobs

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This remains me I had a beta key for the beta

totally forgot it existed ; )

GrimNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By GrimNacho

With the recent announcement that the Xbox One and Windows 10 would become more integrated into one development environment it really makes you think how many other projects/studios will be closed or shuttered as Microsoft tries to find IP that has legs with both audiences as opposed to PC vs. Xbox.

Pour one out for the talented group at Lionhead Studios that hasn't had much real output since, hell 2010 (Fable III).

My thoughts exactly.

Jennifyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed Fable 2. Shame they'll never make another good one. Fable 3 was ok until i got a bug that made it impossible to continue the story.

doncabesa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wrighteous86: I just can't see how you can assume that. Xbox One and PS4 are selling incredibly well, neither are in trouble in any way.

Ozzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#121  Edited By Ozzie

That sucks, but honestly that studio hasn't done anything to peak my interest since Fable 2.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I want to know whether the game was terrible and deserved to be canceled or the Xbox division made one more horrible business decision. Both scenarios seem possible, and I don't want to judge either party without knowing.

SpliTTMark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peritus said:

Fable Legends looked terrible, but i have a love for the franchise as a whole. And i hope it makes a comeback. It would be the reason to buy an Xbox, for me.

and it would be great if they made the game not glitchy or slow or laggy...

CanadianMath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By CanadianMath

Peter Molyneux and his former company, Lionhead, remind me a little of Spinal Tap: people fellate them as some sort of tour de force, as greats in their craft, but when you actually look at the product being offered, it's utterly vapid. There's a lot of glitter, promise and show, but nothing of substance. They run from gig to gig, dropping as much dazzling and distracting jargon as they can before quickly fleeing the scene, booking the next show on the promise of the previous, not its merits. Audiences too overcome by the preamble, too hopeful to ask for their money back. The motley crew's never ending slumfest across the nation, funded by this ever hopeful, eternally let down consumer. The idea of what could have been, of what might be in the future(!), too great to let the party end. Time and time again Peter and Lionhead deliver at best superficially passable attempts at the medium.

People have been giving Peter the benefit of the doubt for far too long. The supposed basis for the continuance of the abusive and one sided relationship: dated examples of a genre that dazzled not because of playability or substance, but for sheer lack of options and the resulting uniqueness. The guy's simply a poor game designer that lucked into an ephemeral niche that could only exist at the time, and while I don't doubt there are talented people at his former company, they have not shown themselves capable game designers or producers.

Like Sonic, it's time to put this to bed -- for the last time.

Nate_3G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not surprised I've been trying to play the beta and it's been a broken mess not a good sign 4 years in

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@wrighteous86: I just can't see how you can assume that. Xbox One and PS4 are selling incredibly well, neither are in trouble in any way.

Because Microsoft is shutting down a number of its studios, increasingly emphasizing Windows and Xbox as more of a "platform" than a console that will be available on the PC , and including ports of most of its exclusive games going forward.

When Xbox is continually incrementally updated, and all of its games are available on PC as well (with cross-play, as they've stated) what makes the Xbox anything more than a closed PC? It's basically on its way to becoming a Steam Box. And then there will just be Xbox branded PCs down the line, and it won't even be a console in the traditional sense anymore.

doncabesa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doncabesa said:

Because Microsoft is shutting down a number of its studios, increasingly emphasizing Windows and Xbox as more of a "platform" than a console that will be available on the PC , and including ports of most of its exclusive games going forward.

When Xbox is continually incrementally updated, and all of its games are available on PC as well (with cross-play, as they've stated) what makes the Xbox anything more than a closed PC? It's basically on its way to becoming a Steam Box. And then there will just be Xbox branded PCs down the line, and it won't even be a console in the traditional sense anymore.

This situation really reads more to me of 2-3 year console updates that are constantly compatibl with previously released titles. One of the strengths of DX12 is scaling, which means older systems run the new games worse up to a certain point but on the whole it's still one base console that just gets more constant revisions to keep up with the times but without leaving its library behind.

Avatar image for arrested_developer
    Arrested_Developer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got invited to the Fable Legends beta last week

CanadianMath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By CanadianMath

@wrighteous86: What on Earth is a console in the "traditional sense," if not a computer? All consoles are computers. Now and ever. Hell, the original Nintendo console? Family Computer.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@canadianmath: I don't even know on what level you are making that comparison.

CanadianMath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

VioleGrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is sad, I remember having TONS of fun with fable 2, one of the best games I played on my x360.

This is why they should've never changed their game design like this, If they went for a regular RPG single player game It would've been a success...

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

I love the Fable games, and still play them. I feel sorrow for seeing a creative studio with unique ideas close, even if some of them didn't pan out or were less than stellar, they were different. The gaming market just became a little less diverse and interesting.

pawsoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Considering Molyneux left Lionhead ..his own studio.. nearly 4 years ago now, with no clear successor of equal recognition to take over or the studio having any game of note in the pipeline. That Lionhead lasted this long without being closed down or merged with Rare or whatever in-house is a miracle in itself. If the staff didn't see this coming after all the negative press regarding the poor showing of Legends, then they're very naive.

If it wasn't for the (misjudged) hyping of Fable. The legacy should have really ended with Bullfrog in the 90's & Lionhead & it's many disappointments would have never happened.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.