Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Lionhead Studios Ltd.

Company »

Lionhead Studios was a British developer studio founded by industry legend Peter Molyneux. They focus on innovation in God games, management simulators and RPGs. Their first title was released in 2001, called Black & White. The company was formed with people from Bullfrog Productions.

Fable Legends and Project Knoxville Canceled by Microsoft, Studios Facing Closure

• 132 results
    alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By alex
    Microsoft says it is
    Microsoft says it is "in discussions" with the team at Lionhead Studios about closing the developer.

Grim news out of Europe this morning, as Microsoft announced that the company has canceled two in-development projects, and begun the process of shuttering the studios attached to those projects.

One of those developers is Lionhead Studios, the company co-founded by Peter Molyneux in 2001, best known for the Black & White and Fable franchises. The team's (formerly) current project, Fable Legends, was a 4-v-1 free-to-play game that had been in development since 2012. According to the announcement blog post by Microsoft Studios Europe General Manager Hanno Lemke, the company has begun discussions with the team at Lionhead about closing the studio entirely.

In addition to Lionhead, Danish studio Press Play, creators of Max: The Curse of Brotherhood and Kalimba, has officially been closed. Its in-development project, a multiplayer survival game code-named Project Knoxville, was actually chosen among three game pitches via a fan vote last year.

Lemke's announcement goes on to mention that Microsoft is "committed to working closely with those affected by today’s news to find them new opportunities at Xbox, or partnering with the broader development community to help place them in jobs elsewhere in the games industry should they desire."

No part of this news is anything but terrible, but the possibility of seeing an old UK development stalwart like Lionhead disappear entirely is especially miserable. Here's hoping everyone affected by today's news finds new, gainful employment quickly.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

wow. fable legends has always seems... misguided, i guess. but i've played some of that game so i always assumed it would at least be released

blackpuddytat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Bugger.

Hearts out to all employees at Lionhead and Press Play studios. Shame we'll now never see a proper numbered Fable sequel.

MrFrank88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even though I never was a fan of the Fable series I'll still pour one out for Lionhead Studios.

Avatar image for thelastgunslinger
    thelastgunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

The studio hasn't released a major game in the past 6 years and Fable Legends has been in development seemingly forever. I was cold on that when it was announced but after getting to actually play it I was excited to see what the final game would be like. Not to mention they were using UE4 to make a beautiful, colorful game.

Still, I would have played the crap out of true Fable 4.

Olqavtoras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

This sucks...

RuthLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By RuthLoose

With the recent announcement that the Xbox One and Windows 10 would become more integrated into one development environment it really makes you think how many other projects/studios will be closed or shuttered as Microsoft tries to find IP that has legs with both audiences as opposed to PC vs. Xbox.

Pour one out for the talented group at Lionhead Studios that hasn't had much real output since, hell 2010 (Fable III).

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Man, talk about an ignoble end for Lionhead.

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Wow crazy, Lionhead especially has been big in my gaming life. I love the Black & White games and the Fable series I've mostly always enjoyed. Sad to see them go.

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, that sucks. Granted, the last good Lionhead game was Fable II in like 08 or 09 and the Black & White games were interesting if not particularly great, but I was hoping we'd still get a Fable IV some day.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Fable Legends had been in development for 4 years!?

Homelessbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Homelessbird

Let's hope everyone finds gainful employment soon.

I'd never heard of Press Play; I'll have to look into their stuff.

schmid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@homelessbird: Kalimba is a lot of fun, especially the coop mode.

Pabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

That's a huge bummer. I wasn't expecting Fable Legends to be a better Fable II, but that series is really special. Sad to see it go, best of luck to all at Lionhead.

JDillinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, I don't know how anyone can look at this and Spencer's recent comments and not come to the conclusion that Microsoft is looking to at the very least disengage from the traditional console market. I really don't believe there will be another console from Microsoft.

DT9k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Project Knoxville, eh?

Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yeah I hope it goes well for everyone involved.

I haven't been keeping up with Fable or Lionhead but man. I remember how much I anticipated Black & White back in the day, I think honestly I've never been as anxious for a game to be released before or after that. It was pretty great. I really liked the first Fable as well.

Afro_Stevens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Afro_Stevens

Get the Lionhead people to kickstart a spiritual successor to Fable. I'd play that.

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fable Legends looked terrible, but i have a love for the franchise as a whole. And i hope it makes a comeback. It would be the reason to buy an Xbox, for me.

Pete0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well there goes my dream of a modern The Movies.

poor chicken chaser :(

Avatar image for xburninmylightx
    xBurnInMyLightx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually really enjoyed Max: The Curse of Brotherhood. Guess we probably won't see another sequel from that series.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

That's a shame. Fable 2 was one of my favorite games from last generation. I'm not familiar with the other studio, but good luck to everyone displaced by this.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Lanechanger

Man that's a bummer. The last games I liked from LHS were the first fable and some ideas from both B&W1 and B&W2. I really wanted a single good full fledged B&W game but 2 fell flat on so many notes aside from the better city building that it kind of killed the momentum. I still replay both of those every few years... rip lionhead.

I'm not familiar with Press Play at all unfortunately but hopefully both of their employees make it out ok.

Avatar image for deactivated-5909e94ba2838
    deactivated-5909e94ba2838

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Poor Lionhead, they made 1 bad game then got put on trash.

Microsoft seems to be moving out of the traditional game market. Its going to be sad to see the end of the 3 console paradigm, Hopefully when that happens Nintendo or the PC steps up to compete with Sony.

Avatar image for nashvilleskyline
    Nashvilleskyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really sad. I played some Fable Legends Beta. That game was not good in the state that it was. But, the artistic direction, the environment desisn and the graphics were stunning.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They never got the chance to make a proper Fable sequel. Instead somebody thought it was a good idea to rush Fable 3 out before it was ready, make a Kinect (not on rails) experience and have this freaking Evolve-like thing that Fable Legends was..

Microsoft really deserves the relatively low sales of their freaking console.

I really hope that somewhere down the line some of these people get to work for a better company.

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This doesn't really come as a huge blow to me since we've barely seen anything out of that studio and the last couple of things they did do weren't that great in my opinion. Still weird to see them go. Fable 1 was one of my favourite games of that generation and I always held out a little hope they could make a game that great again. At least sounds like MS is helping these people out in this bad time and I hope the best for everyone there. I get the sad feeling I'm going to be saying something similar in a couple of months about Harmonix.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#27  Edited By extintor

This is awful news for the company and all those who work there. Lionhead have produced some decent stuff over the years. I hope that Microsoft and Xbox really are as committed to finding these people jobs as they say in their statement.

I can kind of understand the decision, as it relates to Legends though.

On the strength of the weak game experience they had as a playable thing at EGX... and on the absolute bomber that was Evolve, it is clear that there's almost no appetite for this kind of a title.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

It took me a second to remember what Fable Legends was, but I don't remember it looking all that good when they showed it off at E3 like two or three years ago (I assume they must've had betas or something, right?) Still a huge bummer in regards to Lionhead. Fable 2 was a good game.

billyok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Congratulations to Microsoft on focus-grouping, gutting and closing yet another brilliant studio. And for making a complete mess of the Xbox name after it had basically figured console gaming out.

oopprraahh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By oopprraahh

@ruthloose said:

With the recent announcement that the Xbox One and Windows 10 would become more integrated into one development environment it really makes you think how many other projects/studios will be closed or shuttered as Microsoft tries to find IP that has legs with both audiences as opposed to PC vs. Xbox.

Pour one out for the talented group at Lionhead Studios that hasn't had much real output since, hell 2010 (Fable III).

I agree the string of these news stories can easily lead one to think something big is up within the xbox division of the company, like they are being pushed away from investing in the traditional console market. But at the same time Fable Legends was supposed to be one of those titles that was supposed to target both PC and Xbox players, especially with it being a Win10/Xbox crossplay title.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well sad to see Lionhead go, but man Fable was a huge disappointment imo. Really dislike that franchise. Kinda missing some Black and White though. Would have like to see some god games from them again, but dont think that was ever going to happen.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33  Edited By wrighteous86

Beginning of the end for the Xbox console.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

Fable Legends looked godawful since the first reveal.

Its a bit sad about Lionhead closing. I really used to like Fable a lot.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

That's a shame. Fable 2 was one of my favorite games from last generation. I'm not familiar with the other studio, but good luck to everyone displaced by this.

I agree, I think Fable II was really great and I loved the Fable aesthetic. I really liked the clothing especially, with all those tri-corner hats and big cuffed jackets and gloves. It's a real shame that Fable isn't continuing, but I honestly never was that interested in Legends.

It's just sad that such a prestigious studio, of the last generation especially, is being shuttered and people are losing their jobs.

AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AlmostSwedish
    @jadegl said:
    @sparky_buzzsaw said:

I agree, I think Fable II was really great and I loved the Fable aesthetic. I really liked the clothing especially, with all those tri-corner hats and big cuffed jackets and gloves.

Yes! I don't think I've ever really cared for how my character looked in any game but Fable II.

RuthLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By RuthLoose

@billyok said:

Congratulations to Microsoft on focus-grouping, gutting and closing yet another brilliant studio. And for making a complete mess of the Xbox name after it had basically figured console gaming out.

Who's to say Fable Legends was being managed properly and the game stood out from others? Evolve, a game within the 4 v 1 multiplayer genre, didn't exactly set the world on fire last year.

If Fable Legends wasn't doing enough to differentiate itself from Evolve, was over-budget and didn't really carry the already-rubbish "Fable" name out of the dirt I can't see any reason why this project wouldn't be scrapped.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Man Lionhead made some great games, that's a bummer

Good riddance- bunch of scam artists at Lionhead. Worst development studio in history in terms of how they treat their players.

I usually feel bad for development studios closing but not Lionhead. They can rot in pieces.

lol same to you

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've really loved some Lionhead games over the years. Me and my big brother used to have a lot of fun making movies in The Movies and dubbing them over with our juvenile humour :-D

Also loved Black & White and the Fable games.

Thanks for the memories Lionhead. I salute you!

furiousjodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was in the Fable Legends Beta and thought there was a decent core there, I didn't play it enough to really dig deep and know whether or not the full product was great but what I played seemed totally fine.

Jakelshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want my Movies sequel damn it!

billyok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By billyok
    @ruthloose said:

@billyok said:

Who's to say Fable Legends was being managed properly and the game stood out from others? Evolve, a game within the 4 v 1 multiplayer genre, didn't exactly set the world on fire last year.

If Fable Legends wasn't doing enough to differentiate itself from Evolve, was over-budget and didn't really carry the already-rubbish "Fable" name out of the dirt I can't see any reason why this project wouldn't be scrapped.

My issue in my original comment centers around the existence of Fable Legends at all. I'm not mad it got scrapped -- I'm disappointed it was ever conceived. I doubt it was being managed properly because I doubt anyone responsible for Lionhead's original incarnation, as a developer of really weird and distinctive games, was still around to give a crap about a focus-grouped watering down of an already watered-down franchise. What happened to Lionhead was a shame long before what happened today. That studio has been a shadow of its original self for years.

Incoming_User

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to miss Lionhead. Even though they get a bad rap sometimes for over promising, they always made a quality game that both looks and sounds unique. I've been in the closed beta of Fable Legends for over a year now and have really liked it. I'm sad I will never be able to play it with my friends. I'm very sad to hear we will probably never get a game with that amazing art style again.

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This really sucks. Best wishes to all those affected by the closure, hopefully they will find good jobs elsewhere (or make a new studio to work on new ideas).

Homelessbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@schmid: I'll be sure to check it out!

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#47  Edited By ez123

Lionhead was badly managed; this is 100% on Microsoft. Fable 3 sold very well and not just in its first month so the word of mouth couldn't have been that bad. The next games were a Kinect game, beat em up, and then Legends.

Legends seems like a tough development task, especially when they hadn't even done multiplayer. Stick with what you know, make it more of an RPG and it would have continued to be a huge franchise.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I though fable legends was either released or close to release. This seems crazy.

Takoyaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As much fun as I had with Black & White, I've always found Lionheads games to be kind of lacking, so this isn't hugely surprising to me. I just hope the people there have an easy time finding new jobs.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Not super surprising.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.