Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Homefront

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 15, 2011

By the year 2027, the North Koreans have managed to unify Korea, annex Japan, and also invade the western half of the United States. As an American rebel fighter, it is the player's duty to help push the NPA out of the United States and end the citizens' suffering.

THQ's Homefront Will Feature An Online Multiplayer Pass

• 71 results
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#51  Edited By jakob187

I would say that I'm surprised about Homefront having multiplayer...but then I realize that this is KAOS FUCKING STUDIOS!  Desert Combat is still one of the best multiplayer experiences around, and while Frontlines may not have taken off like they had hoped, the game was definitely fun as shit while it lasted. 

In the end, though, I'm more interested in the single player story of this game.

27thRed_Martyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By 27thRed_Martyr

This is how you make shooters.
      http://cdn-www.cracked.com/articleimages/randall/fps5.jpg
     I hope this game follows the rules.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By DonPixel

How they dare! we deserve everything.. god damm freaking video game industry that produces wealth and gives cool jobs to people.. how you dare!? don´t you understand we need it free we deserve it to be free!!

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#54  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Even though Homefront's multiplayer is going to be dead within 2 months, faster if the game itself isn't any good, this doesn't seem like a bad idea.

cgoodno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#55  Edited By cgoodno
    @DivineCC said:
    " @somejerk said:
    " I can't complain about publishers taking on schemes like these with the money they lose on used sales and rentals, but maybe just maybe they would make more initial sales if the prices were lower so people wouldn't go "This doesn't look like purple spangly crack so I'll just rent it or buy it used".. and maybe if their prices weren't slowly being applied to the effin PC platform. "
    They don't lose money on used sales and rentals. Its just money they don't earn. Whether or not someone rents or buys a game used, the publisher will still have the same amount of money. "
    Actually, they do.  The marketable audience diminishes, therefore the expected sales decline as a reflection of the smaller marketable audience.  

Your argument of if people didn't rent they wouldn't buy is just not true.  In fact, people rent so they can play more for less because they are so into gaming.  These are the people who developers want to buy their games the most, the gaming fanatics.
    aldo_q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By aldo_q
    About the rental stuff. I always understood that rental companies in the us pay a substantial amount of money for every copy. More then regular prices. To compensate for the loss in sales. And since they buy in advance, it is a great source of definate income. Without having to worry about sales figures. So I don't think you can say rentals are lost income then. Second hand are. But it's just what I heard. Here where I live renting out games is actually become illegal a few years ago.
      Aside from the entire moral debate about this, the first thing that struck me was that this might hinder their own multiplayer succes. I understand the business decision, but it might bite them in the ass. This game will need to compete with some big names in the shooter genre in terms of multiplayer. And one of the biggest factors of a successful multiplayer is actually having other people to play against. This move might trigger a downward spiral quite quckly. Not enought people playing causing new people to not want to pay to also start playing. Which eventually might hurt sales of both the game and the online pass. I guess the free play with a max level cap of 5 is ment to counter that but if it will?
    ITSSEXYTIME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By ITSSEXYTIME
    @Branthog said:

" Whatever happened to being able to buy one game and enjoy it with whoever the hell you want to share it with in your home?"

This isn't a new thing in gaming. PC gaming has had to deal with it for over a decade. (Legally, anyway)

Be glad that you only have to spend $10, and not buy a whole new copy of the game.

iWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#58  Edited By iWonder

I'm not sure how to feel about this. 

On the one hand, I see a creative way of getting around used game sales not generating any revenue, but on the other, it seems so strange a marketing move to the point that it just feels like needless milking for more money that may or may not backfire for them in the end - Homefront might be seeing less people buy their game because of this.

I wonder though, if the used value of the game will then drop faster than it would have without this online pass system in play? If that were the case, then we'd be spending the same amount of money either way, but Homefront's developers would then get more money.

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Djeffers03

Guess Im not getting this game then!

Avatar image for deactivated-649f07b15d7b8
    deactivated-649f07b15d7b8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

One thing that THQ is overlooking is the amount of people who buy used games who influence other people to buy the same game (which leads to other purchases), and those people influence their friends to buy the game, etc... Modern video game purchasing on a mass scale is heavily influenced by social network feedback, however, if the game is really good, then it won't matter, but if the game is marginally decent, then I believe it will negatively affect sales.

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Gruff182

Seems fair to me.

Good for them.

fresh2deafbill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#62  Edited By fresh2deafbill

How is this a story? Isn't the first time THQ has done this. The did it with the last UFC game.

BillyMethers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By BillyMethers
    @Branthog said:

" Fuck them. What they're basically saying here is that they want to suck an extra $10 off of every person that plays this game. Meaning that after I buy it for $65, they're going to require an extra $10 if my little brother (who lives with me while he's going to college) wants to enjoy the multi-player. And if my girl wants to have the full multiplayer experience, I have to pay another $10 for her, too. Because this is clearly going to be tied to the *account*, just like Cerberus and other bullshit are (not merely to the SYSTEM, but the ACCOUNT). 

Whatever happened to being able to buy one game and enjoy it with whoever the hell you want to share it with in your home?  

Gra nted, nobody is going to be playing the multiplayer after the first month, so the point is probably moot, here. But it's the principal and the fact that they'll continue to do this with other titles as well.   If you want to charge $70 or $80 for your game, just fucking do it already and stop with this bullshit. "

Finally, someone with some common sense replies. I absolutely agree with you. Anyone with any sense at all WOULDNT support a system that puts THEM at a disadvantage. I'm not going to stand for someone selling me a product that I paid my hard earned money on and then tell me what I can and cant do or just plain treat me like a criminal. It's never the fact of piracy or that they dont make money off of used games, ITS THE FACT THAT THEY'RE GREEDY and control freaks. 
    Even if they got all the money for used sales that wouldn't be enough because they have to nickel and dime you on DLC or stuff that's hidden on the disc.

I agree with you 100%
    pplus0440

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By pplus0440

if they didnt have prices on games so damn high for something that isnt potentially playable for half a year i think people wouldn't mind buying it new..or keeping it and avoiding a used copy market in the first place
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#65  Edited By natetodamax

That is easily one of the most baffling and awful decisions I've ever seen in my life. Restricting people from getting past level 5 without a pass is just plain ridiculous. 

The video game industry sucks.

limpbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By limpbishop

Can't decide if this game will be epic, or if we are just having a bit of uber-hype going on. This will be one of those "waiting for metacritic score before i buy" games i'm affraid :(

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#67  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I don't think I can get over the fact that they want us to believe that North Korea could launch a invasion against the mainland America.  Shoot, just the armed citizens of America could whup up on them dirt eaters.

I have to agree with others when I say why again is it Americans getting invaded?  Shock value isn't what it once was.

MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By MAGZine
    @sins_of_mosin: would you rather the russians invade again? Or perhaps take the conflict back to WWI/WWII? 

Developers have to create their own conflicts and their own stories to be successful... people are tiring of killing nazis and russians.
    NumbThumb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#69  Edited By NumbThumb
    @Gruff182 said:
    " Seems fair to me.  Good for them. "
    It really isn't right though.

Game's out now and I rented it to check it out. Can't get very far online and all it does is leave a bad taste in my mouth, doesn't make me want to recommend the game to anyone and makes me feel slighted. If that's there plan - success.
    Bryce3333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#70  Edited By Bryce3333

I borrowed this from my cousin who bought to see if I would like to buy it.  You can not rank up past level 5 and you have to be level 7 to try the battle commander mode.... That is the mode I wanted to try to decide if I want this game or not.  Fucking idiots....  I don't mind them locking weapons but locking out game modes in a game that only has four modes seems rather stupid....

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By jayjonesjunior

if the game sucks, it's their fault, if people want to get rid of their game, it's their fault, if people don't want to pay full price for their game, guess what? it's their fault, they made that uninspired piece of crap. 
    Why should we pay extra for their mistakes? the poor, uninformed people who bought the game new already did that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.