Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Homefront

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 15, 2011

By the year 2027, the North Koreans have managed to unify Korea, annex Japan, and also invade the western half of the United States. As an American rebel fighter, it is the player's duty to help push the NPA out of the United States and end the citizens' suffering.

THQ's Homefront Will Feature An Online Multiplayer Pass

• 71 results
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson
    THQ will be using it's own kind of online pass in its shooter Homefront, Shacknews reports. The pass, which allows full access to the game's online features, will be included with every new copy of the game and those who purchase the game secondhand will be able to obtain their own via a 10-dollar purchase.

In contrast to EA's mostly all-or-nothing online pass, THQ is not restricting online access to just those who have one. You'll still be able to play and compete online, the catch being that you'll never progress past level five out of a total of 75 in the game's multiplayer.

No Caption Provided

This little factoid raises a few questions. Recent Call of Duty games (and other games that have used perk-like systems) have taught us that certain skills, guns, and game modes can be locked out to people under certain levels, so it's quite possible there will be much, much more content restricted to users without a pass that THQ or game developer Kaos aren't mentioning yet. That said, all maps will be available to everyone.

As Shack notes in its report, this isn't the first time THQ has used an online pass system, since its UFC Undisputed 2010 debuted with one as well.
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson
    THQ will be using it's own kind of online pass in its shooter Homefront, Shacknews reports. The pass, which allows full access to the game's online features, will be included with every new copy of the game and those who purchase the game secondhand will be able to obtain their own via a 10-dollar purchase.

In contrast to EA's mostly all-or-nothing online pass, THQ is not restricting online access to just those who have one. You'll still be able to play and compete online, the catch being that you'll never progress past level five out of a total of 75 in the game's multiplayer.

No Caption Provided

This little factoid raises a few questions. Recent Call of Duty games (and other games that have used perk-like systems) have taught us that certain skills, guns, and game modes can be locked out to people under certain levels, so it's quite possible there will be much, much more content restricted to users without a pass that THQ or game developer Kaos aren't mentioning yet. That said, all maps will be available to everyone.

As Shack notes in its report, this isn't the first time THQ has used an online pass system, since its UFC Undisputed 2010 debuted with one as well.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By ch13696

And this is why I don't buy online games on consoles. 

EDIT: Damn you @Ozone. I was so close to getting that quest finished.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Gizmo

This new I.P is going to need all the following it can get, screwing the potential rental audience is just a bad idea.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By PhatSeeJay

I like these retail passes and I must say that this 'no pass needed till level 5'-thing is really smart. Allows people to try the multiplayer and form an opinion instead of having to get a pass to even get to try it.

myalt22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By myalt22

I blame EA...

Avatar image for deactivated-61abb009b221e
    deactivated-61abb009b221e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Man. Someone really hates the used game market.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Kyreo

Sounds fair to me... I guess.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8  Edited By Yanngc33

I cant see how this is surprising
    Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hot_Karl
    @Ozone said:
    " I'm getting sick of these online pass things. "
    Yeah same here. But here's hoping that the online in this game actually works, unlike in UFC Undisputed where it was so painfully laggy that the online system was literally broken for months after launch. 

Although not completely willing, I'm open to using these online access codes but only if we get a working system out of it.
    Woodwater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Woodwater

I think stuff like that is a totally valid way of doing business. There could be better ways of handling it, but for now, I think it's fair. 

Brother gotta get paid yo.

TheKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By TheKing

I buy all my games new so no worries.

Zembosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Zembosis

Or just don't play multiplayer  and trade it in sooner.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By FluxWaveZ

They've just damaged their game's online aspect, I think. There are plenty of people who don't buy their games new (especially with something new like Homefront) and, combined with the fact that there are games like Black Ops or BF:BC2 in the market, I don't this was necessarily a great move.

NHLmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By NHLmaniac
    @PhatSeeJay: Actually all of the EA Sports online pass enabled games give you a 7 day free trial. So even if you rent or buy used you can play online for a week. I like that option better thatn this. You could most likely get higher that level 5 in just a few days.
    Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Detrian
    @Gizmo said:
    " This new I.P is going to need all the following it can get, screwing the potential rental audience is just a bad idea. "
    Oh no they are mildly inconveniencing an audience that barely exists! What are we gonna do?!
    Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Seedofpower

Ha! Glad I'm getting this on steam.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By ProfessorEss

Fine with me. I'm sure the online will be all but dead by the time I dig this one out of a bargain bin for 20 bucks anyways.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    @NHLmaniac said:
    " @PhatSeeJay: Actually all of the EA Sports online pass enabled games give you a 7 day free trial. So even if you rent or buy used you can play online for a week. I like that option better thatn this. You could most likely get higher that level 5 in just a few days. "
    Doesn't say you won't get to continue to play the multiplayer, it just says you won't level beyond level 5. The way I see it, you can get the same experience as the rest but if you want the full package with whatever unlocks and so on, you'll have to buy the pass.
    SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SomeJerk

I can't complain about publishers taking on schemes like these with the money they lose on used sales and rentals, but maybe just maybe they would make more initial sales if the prices were lower so people wouldn't go "This doesn't look like purple spangly crack so I'll just rent it or buy it used".. and maybe if their prices weren't slowly being applied to the effin PC platform.

EDfromRED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By EDfromRED

I am really looking forward to this game: dedicated servers, 32 peep multiplay on X Box 360. Day 1 purchase for me...unless Giant Bomb say's it's a piece of crap, of course.
    metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By metalmoog

Corbin Dallas Multipass?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Detrian said:
    " @Gizmo said:
    " This new I.P is going to need all the following it can get, screwing the potential rental audience is just a bad idea. "
    Oh no they are mildly inconveniencing an audience that barely exists! What are we gonna do?! "
    An audience that barely exists? Seriously?
    cgoodno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By cgoodno
    @Gizmo said:

Rental audience can still play online up to level 5.

Why would they support renters of video games more than that when renters aren't supporting the developers in the first place?

I do like that they are allowing some online gameplay and think EA should look into this sort of thing with their future $10 online pass games.
    Avatar image for lordcmdrstryker
    LordCmdrStryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By LordCmdrStryker
    @cgoodno said:
    Why would they support renters of video games more than that when they aren't supporting the developers in the first place?  
    Quoted for truth.
    lockeyness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By lockeyness

This seems like the right path to take.  I'm confused about why you guys on the PC are cheering.  Aren't you buying it new anyway?  Wouldn't it be the same conditions?

warchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By warchief
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @Detrian said:
    " @Gizmo said:
    Oh no they are mildly inconveniencing an audience that barely exists! What are we gonna do?! "
    An audience that barely exists? Seriously? "
    I'd more call it an audience that doesn't provide the developer with any money when buying games secondhand or rent them.
    sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#28  Edited By sammo21

Well, instead of this game having a dead community 2 months after launch, it will launch dead.  Meh.

Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Detrian
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @Detrian said:
    " @Gizmo said:
    Yes. That's the reality of the situation, deal with it.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Milkman

By the end of the year, almost every major release is going to have this. 

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Detrian said:

" Yes. That's the reality of the situation, deal with it. "

GameFly alone destroys your argument.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Milkman
    @Detrian said:
    " @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @Detrian said:
    " @Gizmo said:
    Yes. That's the reality of the situation, deal with it. "
    That's not true at all. I think you're severely underestimating how popular GameFly is and how many people use that as their primary source of obtaining games. 
    Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Detrian

You guys do realize that games are sold all over the world, right? And that most people who think they'll play a game a lot (like for example, a console shooter that relies on multiplayer) just buy such games, right?

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Hamz

Can't say I like the sounds of this. It's a new IP and they're already committed to alienating potential players and fans of the game.

cgoodno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By cgoodno
    @Milkman said:
    " @Detrian said:
    " @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @Detrian said:
    " @Gizmo said:
    That's not true at all. I think you're severely underestimating how popular GameFly is and how many people use that as their primary source of obtaining games.  "
    So... we agree that there's a large audience of people out there already who don't support the developers because they rent the majority of their games?  Do we also agree that developers trying to cater to such an audience is just really bad business, then?
    brewster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By brewster

Don't see any issue with this. Don't see why they should have support my online play if if i've not paid them any money and bought it second hand. Seems fair enough

afrokola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By afrokola

Interesting. It was only a matter of time before somebody tried, I'm intrigued to see how this plays out! Games looks really fun too, hope it sells well.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @cgoodno said:
    " So... we agree that there's a large audience of people out there already who don't support the developers because they rent the majority of their games?  Do we also agree that developers trying to cater to such an audience is just really bad business, then? "
    Yes.
    killr_klown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By killr_klown

Not having played UFC does anyone know if this online pass works across the console or is it just per profile. My wife loves shooters and it would suck if I had to shell out another 10.00 for her to get the full online experience.

I know for Bad Company 2 the code only worked for a single profile. I had to call to get the VIP pack added to my wife's account.

Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Agent47

Doesn't sound like a problem, if you rent it you can know whether you like it or not.Then actually buy it.The only people complaining are the people who either don't have a job and want to be lazy dicks, or the people who really don't have enough money to buy the actual game.It's cool they let you try it out but it's more like a demo.I guess they just want more people to buy their game.Kind of an awkward marketing move though, I can't really tell.Still I am going to buy the game if they say it's pretty solid.So no probs here.

Nomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 9

#41  Edited By Nomin

I thought that there are separate versions of the game made only for the purpose of renting with a big RENTAL written on the game disc, especially for use with prominent rental services like Gamefly. 

piropeople13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By piropeople13

I was marginal about this game and thought about renting it.  Guess not :/

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Nomin said:
    " I thought that there are separate versions of the game made only for the purpose of renting with a big RENTAL written on the game disc, especially for use with prominent rental services like Gamefly.  "
    Those are only for Blu-rays, I believe. Games don't have different rental versions that remove content.
    williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By williamhenry
    @somejerk said:
    " I can't complain about publishers taking on schemes like these with the money they lose on used sales and rentals, but maybe just maybe they would make more initial sales if the prices were lower so people wouldn't go "This doesn't look like purple spangly crack so I'll just rent it or buy it used".. and maybe if their prices weren't slowly being applied to the effin PC platform. "

They don't lose money on used sales and rentals. Its just money they don't earn. Whether or not someone rents or buys a game used, the publisher will still have the same amount of money.
    Avatar image for steelknight2000
    steelknight2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By steelknight2000

Would never buy it anyway. I rent most games unless I know I'll be putting something like 50 hours into it.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Branthog

Fuck them. What they're basically saying here is that they want to suck an extra $10 off of every person that plays this game. Meaning that after I buy it for $65, they're going to require an extra $10 if my little brother (who lives with me while he's going to college) wants to enjoy the multi-player. And if my girl wants to have the full multiplayer experience, I have to pay another $10 for her, too. Because this is clearly going to be tied to the *account*, just like Cerberus and other bullshit are (not merely to the SYSTEM, but the ACCOUNT). 

Whatever happened to being able to buy one game and enjoy it with whoever the hell you want to share it with in your home?  

Granted, nobody is going to be playing the multiplayer after the first month, so the point is probably moot, here. But it's the principal and the fact that they'll continue to do this with other titles as well. 

If you want to charge $70 or $80 for your game, just fucking do it already and stop with this bullshit.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Branthog
    @TheKing said:
    " I buy all my games new so no worries. "
    Unless, you know, you live with other people who might play the game, too. 
    masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By masternater27

Sounds fine, I only buy new games anyways.

Box3ru13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Box3ru13

guess what MP game I'm not going to be playing past level 5? 

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#50  Edited By MetalBaofu
    @cgoodno said:
    " @Milkman said:
    " @Detrian said:
    " @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @Detrian said:
    " @Gizmo said:
    That's not true at all. I think you're severely underestimating how popular GameFly is and how many people use that as their primary source of obtaining games.  "
    So... we agree that there's a large audience of people out there already who don't support the developers because they rent the majority of their games?  Do we also agree that developers trying to cater to such an audience is just really bad business, then? "
    I use Gamefly a lot, while I am not a fan of this type of business practice, I can understand why they do it.   Besides, if it is a game I care enough about, then I would probably be buying it anyways.  Basically, as long as they allow you to play online some(to decide if you like it or not), like they are doing here and like what was done with the 2 day free trial for Need for Speed, then I can live with this kind of thing.  

If, at some point,  everyone starts making you unable to play online at all until you buy the pass or whatever, then I will start having a serious problem with this and I think that would hurt them in the long run.  I don't buy games without trying them first anymore, and I'm sure I'm not the only one that does that.  If I can't try out your multiplayer, then I can't buy your game.  But, like I said, that's not the case here, so it doesn't bother me too much.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.