Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Half-Life 2

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Nov 16, 2004

Several years after the Black Mesa disaster, Gordon Freeman awakens from stasis to aid a resistance movement against the Combine, a collective of trans-dimensional aliens that have conquered Earth.

When should I play this?

• 52 results
    mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By mikey87144

So, thanks to numerous Steam sales, I own all the Half-Life games. I loaded up 1 and found it pretty good despite it's age and I'm debating on when to play 2. I'm wondering if I should wait until HL 3 is announced to load it up. I know the torture fans are going through because of other series I've become a fan of that had long lapses before the next part is made. So HL fans should I join you in your torturous wait or play when the new one is announced.

IAmNotBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By IAmNotBatman

Just play it, HL3 might not even be announced anytime soon and I wouldn't say that the story is forgettable enough to not remember anything if another HL game comes out.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Jimbo

plop1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By plop1920

play it, you still have episodes 1 and 2 to check out after it

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By chrissedoff

Whenever you have time. That's a real good game.

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By CptChiken

people have been waiting for HL3 to be announced since 2005. If you wait to play HL2 until HL3 is announced you might never play it.

AndrewVerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By AndrewVerse

You should've played it when it came out. It hasn't aged well at all.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By BoG

ASAP

eezo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By eezo

@AndrewVerse said:

it's not THAT bad.. the only bad thing i can say (without having tried the game for the last 2-3years) is that the water textures repeat waaaaaaaaaaay to often, so it's like looking at minecraft water. (the blockyness of them, not the textures themselves, if that makes sense?)

Avatar image for deactivated-59123fe38ab28
    deactivated-59123fe38ab28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

You should play it, but you shouldn't feel bad if you feel the need to noclip through some of it or otherwise cheat. That game really drags in a lot of really unfortunate ways.

Avatar image for countinhallways
    countinhallways

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By countinhallways

Play it right now for sure.

It will be well worth a few more playthroughs before HL3 actually arrives anyway.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Video_Game_King

When you have a computer that can make it look good.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

Now. Nownownow.

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Heltom92

@AndrewVerse said:

I would disagree and say that it has aged really well. The graphics are a little bit dated yet but the gameplay is still excellent. I played though it a few months ago and was suprised at how much fun it was. It is still one the best FPS games ever in my opinion.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By 71Ranchero

I wouldn't say you ever NEED to play it. Its not that the game isnt good, it just doesn't exactly live up to the praise people give it. If your going to play it then just play it. Dont bother waiting on HL3 announcements.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Play it as soon as possible. That game is only going to age and if you really need something to tide you over until the hypothetical HL3 then there's always HL2: Episode One and Two.

overjoyedpants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By overjoyedpants

i hadn't played it until late last year, and i thought it was just okay. episode 1 was much more enjoyable to me (haven't got around to episode 2 yet).

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Heltom92 said:

@AndrewVerse said:

I would disagree and say that it has aged really well. The graphics are a little bit dated yet but the gameplay is still excellent. I played though it a few months ago and was suprised at how much fun it was. It is still one the best FPS games ever in my opinion.

I would disagree! I think the gameplay is absolutely abysmal!

But hey, different strokes for different folks!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Justin258

@AndrewVerse said:

Many people (me included) would strongly disagree with this. I think it's aged better than many shooters, though this may be more due to the fact that shooters haven't evolved much since the original Halo, beyond some nuances and shortened attention spans (shoot this turret! Now drive this car! Now shoot these dudes! Now get in this helicopter! Grab this rocket launcher! All in less than ten minutes!).

Anyway, the series itself has divided opinions at this point. Some don't see why it was considered so great. That's OK, just opinion, but be aware that you might be disappointed.

You should finish Half-Life 1 first just because it's amazing how well that game holds up, then jump into HL2 and the episodes. Do not expect anything even remotely resembling closure, though. It's like "Sir, finishing this fight"*, only worse.

*Final words uttered in Halo 2, if you were wondering.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By soldierg654342

@Jimbo said:

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#21  Edited By GS_Dan

It has some weird pacing issues and dated level/mission design but it's still worth going through. I wouldn't wait for an announcement.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By Bwast

u shood play right after u take a wiked sik rip of da bong bro yeahhhhhh hella stoned makes evry game bettr

M_Shini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By M_Shini

i would play it now, it may have aged but i played it again last year and i still totally had alot of fun with that game, and i played the game fairly late too so its not nostalga speaking, i would still rate it as one of my fav gaming experiance's.

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Heltom92

@Cloudenvy said:

@Heltom92 said:

@AndrewVerse said:

True dat, brother

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ghost_cat

What kind of question is that? It's not like you would be playing out of order, just do it!

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Aetheldod

Dont listen to these philistines .... Half Life 2 has and will always play wonderfully , beats the crap of all "modern" FPSs , its has the best pacing and a lot fun stuff to do all the time. (All say that it has bad pacing only because Jeff says so ... bullocks) And if you enjoyed Half Life 1 then no doubt this game is for you

Sheesh these lying guys >:3

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheSouthernDandy
    @Aetheldod said:

Dont listen to these philistines .... Half Life 2 has and will always play wonderfully , beats the crap of all "modern" FPSs , its has the best pacing and a lot fun stuff to do all the time. (All say that it has bad pacing only because Jeff says so ... bullocks) And if you enjoyed Half Life 1 then no doubt this game is for you

Sheesh these lying guys >:3

I would agree with that (good pacing), I never found the vehicle segments to be that bad at all. That Jeff. First his anti Star Wars propaganda now this.
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By NTM

@Cloudenvy said:

@Heltom92 said:

@AndrewVerse said:

The biggest problem going back to HL2 is the fact that it has no iron sights.

To the OP, it's still a fantastic game series in many aspects, but you should have played it when it came out. For me personally, I liked the original Half Life when I first played it on PS2 (later on PC), then when Half-Life 2 came out, that was my favorite game of all time, I probably played it every day five hours straight searching every nook and cranny for a few years until F.E.A.R. took its place. When the Orange Box came along, I was somewhat excited for the Episodes, but once I had beaten them, I was severely disappointed because it just didn't match my experience with the original.

It took me two years (until 2009) to take a step back, and approach it a bit differently with expectation and I liked it a more. See, the point is, like some other game series other people miss out on (MGS or otherwise) you miss out on memories and experiences that just can't happen if you play them all together after the fact. With that said though, play them now and I hope you enjoy them. I recommend after going through them you go to a wiki and read upon more of the story, because it's big, and you'll probably learn a lot of stuff that you somehow didn't catch when going through it, no matter how immersed you were, or how much attention you payed.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mikey87144

The games age shouldn't bother me as I played through HL1 recently. Also the hype was seven years ago so I have no expectations as to what the games quality should be. It's more for the story why I've held off of it.

wicked_wumpus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By wicked_wumpus

You should always be playing HL2.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BisonHero

@mikey87144 said:

The games age shouldn't bother me as I played through HL1 recently. Also the hype was seven years ago so I have no expectations as to what the games quality should be. It's more for the story why I've held off of it.

While the character stuff and your moment-to-moment goals are easy enough to understand, the backstory (i.e. everything between Half-Life 1 and 2) is alluded to very thinly. Like, imagine BioShock had no audio logs, and you just had to piece together what had gone down based off of the snatches of conversations you have with the handful of NPCs on your com (Andrew Ryan, Atlas, Tenenbaum). The beginning of Half-Life 2 is a considerably different world to what you saw during Half-Life 1.

My point is, you have to pay attention extremely closely, but even then, I swear some of the backstory info is only found in interviews with Valve staff and in that coffee table book that Valve released showing the art and world of Half-Life 2. There are some backstory details I've read in the wiki that to this day, having played through Half-Life 2 at least twice, I don't recall ever actually hearing in-game.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#32  Edited By AndrewB

I don't know where you guys have been, but Gabe's knives already announced Half-Life 3.

No Caption Provided

Also, play it ASAP. There's no sense in waiting to play any of those games. They've aged amazingly, but not perfectly. Then join us as we wait on what has become (given how long we've been waiting for the next game) one of the most torturous cliffhanger endings to a video game ever. If I have to endure, then so do you.

Though to be honest, so much time has passed and my love for the characters diminished that the amazing ending to Episode 2 has kind of dulled on me. It affected me in a big way when it happened, but now I just look back on it and think "oh, right... that happened."

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Why do people act like HL3 hasn't come out yet? It's been out for years and it's amaz- oops, my computer time is up for today. Nurse says it's time to take my pills and go back to my room.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By DeF

the only reason you might be in need of immediate HL3 after playing is the cliffhanger ending of Episode 2, not the story of the main game.

just play it, have fun in ravenholm, be annoyed by the vehicle sequences and throw some shit around with the grav gun :)

raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By raidingkvatch

@IAmNotBatman said:

Just play it, HL3 might not even be announced anytime soon and I wouldn't say that the story is forgettable enough to not remember anything if another HL game comes out.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#36  Edited By fox01313

As there's no clue about when HL3 might show up I'd say to play HL2 first chance you get when picking something to play as it's good. Not sure if the episodes are going to be crucial to HL3 so you can play the episodes 1 & 2 if you want but the core game of HL2 is solid and well worth the time in it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@TheSouthernDandy said:

Now. Nownownow.
    Flaboere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Flaboere

I'm playing through Episode 1 now, for the first time, and I think it's aged amazingly. I'm playing on my laptop, and not even with everything on high, and it looks fine to me. Half Life 2 has an awesome art direction and use of lights, so it works even now. The story is really good, and it's true that the world has changed in 2, but you don't feel lost, all the extra info is exactly that, extra, and was meant for people going through every corner of the game to find i'm sure. Also simply to create atmosphere.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39  Edited By Commisar123

Just do it

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Now, since it's one of the greatest games ever made.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By CptBedlam

Never.

Even back then it was a pretty boring game.

buckwatters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By buckwatters

@Jimbo said:

Ditto

Avatar image for deactivated-5f90eabee6bba
    deactivated-5f90eabee6bba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Right now because you'll probably replay it. It's probably the best game ever made. After reading some of the comments, it makes me question what some of you think of as "good."

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#44  Edited By AlexW00d

Play it when you want to play it. It's still the best FPS campaign to date, admittedly, there hasn't been a single good FPS campaign to come out since, but that's neither here nor there.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By CptBedlam

@gorkamorkaorka said:

It's probably the best game ever made."

I'd say it's a competent and polished shooter. Nothing more. I was pretty disappointed with it.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#46  Edited By C0V3RT

For those of you that have played it, how crucial is it to have played the original Half Life before jumping into Half Life 2?

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By audiosnow

I'll throw my hat into the "Right now" ring.

@believer258: Absolutely. The end of Episode 2 made me audibly react. No other game has done that.

IAmNotBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By IAmNotBatman

@C0V3RT: I didn't and never felt like I missed anything crucial.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By coakroach

I'd blast through it on easy mode.

The aesthetics and story are genuinely interesting, the combat and enemies are not for the most part.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#50  Edited By Brendan

Just play it now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.