This game is terrible, stay away tactical shooter fans.

• 85 results
Rohok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Rohok

If you were a fan of Tom Clancy's tactical shooters in the past (Rogue Spear, Ghost Recon/Island Thunder, Splinter Cell 1 through Chaos Theory) then this game just shits all over that love and loyalty. I mean we all knew the demise of Tom Clancy was coming when Rainbow Six: Lockdown was released, and the realization probably full set in with Splinter Cell: Conviction, but now it's confirmed with Ghost Recon: Future Soldier. It's not Tom Clancy anymore. There are no tactical or strategic elements in this game, it's full of on-rails sequences where you're completely unable to determine the outcome of events save for where to aim your trigger, and all logic and realism are fully scrubbed in favor of cinematic blunder and Call of Duty thrills.

It's good if you didn't grow up on tactical, realistic, patience-rewarding Tom Clancy titles but it's going to be like tiny papers cuts all over your gums if Rainbow Six Rogue Spear was your favorite game in the series. Stay away from it, Tom Clancy lovers. The TC franchise is dead, but not only that, they're raping it while it's down.

There is zero planning, zero squad command, linear levels, on-rails cinematic shooting, and fast-paced unrealistic shooting. Buy it for the coop and take it back right when you're done, otherwise, stay away. I mean if you thought Ghost Recon 2 strayed too far from the series' roots, then you'll just "love" this entry into the series, lol.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I really wish they made another game like the original Ghost Recon :(

TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ

From MW3 to this...

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DeF

@FancySoapsMan said:

I haven't played more than a few minutes of the first Ghost Recon but just in general, wouldn't (the recently Kickstarter'd) Takedown be up your alley in theory (although that might be more like Rainbow Six)?

aspaceinvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By aspaceinvader

games have changed dude.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

I've been a huge fan of Tom Clancy since the start, and I competed in MLG Toronto for Rainbow Six Vegas 2.

This game is streamlined in the best way possible and it's awesome. I disagree to the fullest extent of my ability.

Icemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Icemo

Oh, I had forgotten how much I loved Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear until you mentioned it in your post. Not interested in playing it by myself anymore tho.

Would be cool to see dudes play it at Random PC Game or something...

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By GS_Dan

Tom Clancy is literally not involved at any point in production now, he sold his name.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By AlexW00d

@GS_Dan said:

Tom Clancy is literally not involved at any point in production now, he sold his name.

:(

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By Dagbiker

Tom Clancy Ghost Recon 3ds was a good tactical game, but if your looking for a tactical shooter then those are long since dead. Hopefully Rainbow 6 patriots will be what your looking for.

krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By krazy_kyle

It might not fall into slow-paced and planning for 10 mins territory but It does what it does well. I've always prefered co-op with buddies anyway.

MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MethodMan008

I loved the campaign, beat it in two days renting it from redbox. Downloading the full game from psn now so I can play coop and stuff with friends.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@aspaceinvader said:

games have changed dude.

Has the definition of the word "tactical" changed in the English dictionary?
hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By hoossy

@Rohok: yep, couch co-op is all that this game is good for... and I don't need another multiplayer to distract me.

Rohok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Rohok

I'm just disappointed beyond belief. Even GRAW 2 was pretty tactical, allowing for neat squad control similar to Brothers in Arms and some sweet fire support options like tanks and helicopters and air strikes from mission to mission.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MeierTheRed

Seriously you expected this to be tactical. Nothing they have shown from this game has come up close to tactical, i don't understand if it comes as a surprise to anyone.

rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By rawrz

How tactical was GRAW? I havnt played Ghost Recon since the first so I wouldnt know, but I thought Ghost Recon stopped being tactical at like 2.

Artigkar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Artigkar

@Rawrz said:

How tactical was GRAW? I havnt played Ghost Recon since the first so I wouldnt know, but I thought Ghost Recon stopped being tactical at like 2.

I can't say anything of the console versions of the GRAW games since I never played those versions, but the PC versions of GRAW 1 and 2 were tactical shooters.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CptBedlam

@FancySoapsMan said:

Or rather ... like the original Rainbow Six (Rogue Spear). You know, with actual planning etc.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By laserbolts

@xaLieNxGrEyx said:

I've been a huge fan of Tom Clancy since the start, and I competed in MLG Toronto for Rainbow Six Vegas 2.

This game is streamlined in the best way possible and it's awesome. I disagree to the fullest extent of my ability.

I was a huge fan of rainbow six vegas 2 multiplayer and was wondering if this is something you would recommend?

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Ben_H
@Artigkar said:

@Rawrz said:

I can't say anything of the console versions of the GRAW games since I never played those versions, but the PC versions of GRAW 1 and 2 were tactical shooters.

Indeed. In the PC version you couldn't just run around guns blazing or you would die instantly, as when you are on any difficulty other than easy it is basically one hit kills. I tried the Xbox version and it felt a lot more forgiving than the PC version. Though keep in mind they were completely different games outside of story and setting.

I really hope they bring back the original Ghost Recon formula. I played it and both expansions to completion many times. They were amazing games. I loved how suspenseful they were at times and how difficult they could be (For those who haven't played the original Ghost Recon, it was quite a different game compared to most shooters. The weapons had a more realistic spread, you could be killed in one shot or wounded, and if wounded it would affect you in a number of ways, if you were hit in the leg you could only limp around instead of sprint and stuff like that. You had to play it very carefully and save often or one slip up would lose you tons of progress).
Rohok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Rohok

They never will bring back the old formulas. It's obviously not what sells, as people seem to like this streamlined, simplified garbage for whatever reason, lol.

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By babblinmule

I've played almost every Ghost Recon (I think one of the previous generation games), and the new one is one of my favourite GR games that theyve produced.

Edit - guess I should clarify. After 10 years of playing ghost recon games where you lie in a field in 10 minutes planning, aligning the team and waiting for the perfect moment, I'm a bit sick of it. Which is why I love future soldier so much - I only have to plan for a minute or two at the most, and I still get the same kind of satisfaction out of it when the plan goes off perfectly.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jerseyscum

@TEHMAXXORZ said:

From MW3 to this...

Treyarch does actually put out decent shooters and Black Ops 2 looks damn cool. Ghost Recon looks about about as thrilling as waiting on line at the DMV.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By nintendoeats

@Artigkar said:

@Rawrz said:

ARE THEY EVER! I've been playing GRAW 1 recently, and while the friendly AI and various bugs have been making that a rather miserable experience, I can report that it is actually an enjoyable tactical game. There is a map, and a complex orders system...and you actually have to use it.

Granted, I already had a love of that game from my youth, so I'm slightly biased.

I can also confirm that console games require some pretty serious planning also.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NTM

Mmm, no. I love the originals, and I love the newer ones as well. Well, I haven't played this, but I'm just saying, I like them all pretty much the same. I can pick a few here and there that I didn't really care for, like Double Agent, Vegas 2, and... yeah.

DougCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By DougCL

why is it that if a game is different in a way that is less than ideal, so many people jump to saying things like "_______ is dead, and they are raping its corpse!"? its a tad bit extreme, don't you think? and really sexually aggressive. and its not even an apt metaphor. the Tom Clancy franchise isn't a non-consenting participant. the Tom Clancy franchise isn't even a sentient thing. it doesn't represent a group of people either, its just a collection of intellectual property trademarks. and the trademarks are being used to create financially successful pieces of merchandise. now if we pretended that a group of intellectual property trademarks were in fact sentient, wouldn't the one thing that might satisfy them in some kind of sexual manner be being used to create successful products? i think so. also, using rape metaphors for bullshit things like games you don't like is seriously offensive to rape survivors.

also, chill dude. go re-install rouge spear if thats the game you wanna keep playing forever. maybe download a single player mod or something. did it have mods? whatever.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By Daveyo520

Damn. I was kinda interested in this :(

MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MethodMan008

@jerseyscum said:

@TEHMAXXORZ said:

From MW3 to this...

Treyarch does actually put out decent shooters and Black Ops 2 looks damn cool. Ghost Recon looks about about as thrilling as waiting on line at the DMV.

I've only played the campaign, but it was pretty thrilling. Awesome awesome awesome prison extraction level.

MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MethodMan008

@Rohok said:

They never will bring back the old formulas. It's obviously not what sells, as people seem to like this streamlined, simplified garbage for whatever reason, lol.

Yeah, well, you know.. That's just, like, your opinion, man.

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By dillonwerner

Dammit, I was so excited for a non Call of Duty FPS, but alas, my dreams are crushed once again.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#32  Edited By Vinny_Says

@Rohok said:

It's good if you didn't grow up on tactical, realistic, patience-rewarding Tom Clancy titles but it's going to be like tiny papers cuts all over your gums if Rainbow Six Rogue Spear was your favorite game in the series.

Buy it for the coop and take it back right when you're done, otherwise, stay away.

Make up your mind.

I don't have the time and the patience to play games like the original ghost recon anymore....sad thing is the original ghost recon on PC is one of my favorite games ever, nothing like taking over red square or assaulting that farm in the middle of the night....but that was a different time.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Cameron

I think Rainbow Six 3 on PC was the last tactical shooter I really enjoyed. It was good about being challenging without being too frustrating. It's too bad they'll probably never make another Rainbow Six game like that. I guess the gamepad wouldn't work very well on the tactical map and, more importantly, people seem to buy games that are like Call of Duty. Not that there is anything wrong with Call of Duty games, they are a goofy good time, but I'd like a game that was a nice middle ground between CoD and ARMA.

nights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By nights

@Rohok said:

If you were a fan of Tom Clancy's tactical shooters in the past (Rogue Spear, Ghost Recon/Island Thunder, Splinter Cell 1 through Chaos Theory) then this game just shits all over that love and loyalty. I mean we all knew the demise of Tom Clancy was coming when Rainbow Six: Lockdown was released, and the realization probably full set in with Splinter Cell: Conviction, but now it's confirmed with Ghost Recon: Future Soldier. It's not Tom Clancy anymore. There are no tactical or strategic elements in this game, it's full of on-rails sequences where you're completely unable to determine the outcome of events save for where to aim your trigger, and all logic and realism are fully scrubbed in favor of cinematic blunder and Call of Duty thrills.

It's good if you didn't grow up on tactical, realistic, patience-rewarding Tom Clancy titles but it's going to be like tiny papers cuts all over your gums if Rainbow Six Rogue Spear was your favorite game in the series. Stay away from it, Tom Clancy lovers. The TC franchise is dead, but not only that, they're raping it while it's down.

There is zero planning, zero squad command, linear levels, on-rails cinematic shooting, and fast-paced unrealistic shooting. Buy it for the coop and take it back right when you're done, otherwise, stay away. I mean if you thought Ghost Recon 2 strayed too far from the series' roots, then you'll just "love" this entry into the series, lol.

Spot on.

I truly despise Ubisoft. I've gone on about the downfall of Tom Clancy games for what seems like an eternity, but I can't help but feel obligated to comment when Ubisoft releases yet another dumbed-down, casual friendly title. It's funny to see seen certain reviews claim that GR:FS stays true to its roots. Sure it does. Gamers are hit over the head with over-the-top, Hollywood-esque shooters every year so the moment a game comes out that is slightly less arcade oriented than what they're use to, they think it's tactical and realistic. These are the type of people who aren't familiar with Tom Clancy games of old. Hell, I've seen people (from multiple websites) claim that this game feels like Gears of War or Army of TWO! Whaaaa-? Thankfully, games like ARMA are still being created and Project Takedown is the works thanks to Kickstarter. I can always boot up Rogue Spear/Raven Shield and SWAT 4, so not all is doom and gloom.

No Caption Provided

EUROGAMER pretty much summed it up.

Like it or not, Modern Warfare exerts a powerful gravitational pull on the games within its orbit - and, while the titles under the Tom Clancy brand may have started out as tactical simulations, they're not immune to the inexorable tug of Activision's super-dense star.

A couple of handheld spin-offs aside, the last time Ghost Recon saw the light of day was in 2007's Advanced Warfighter 2, and much has changed since then. All three Modern Warfare games have raised the blockbuster stakes where military bombast is concerned, while two Gears of War sequels have solidified and defined the template for third-person cover-based shooters. The fact Future Soldier takes more than a few cues from these commercial juggernauts is as inevitable as it is disappointing.

deathbyyeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By deathbyyeti

@Dagbiker said:

Hopefully Rainbow 6 patriots will be what your looking for.

pffthahaha

...sorry bout that

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36  Edited By buft

I bought the last rainbow 6 game and it was awful, I really like the console versions of GRAW 1 and 2 and i enjoyed conviction for what it was, really liked its coop, sucks that this has none of the squad command stuff, that was always the most interesting part, i loved making my team do all the work once i finished the game playing normally, trying to clear levels with just the 3 teammates was fun

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By blueduck
@Vinny_Says said:

@Rohok said:

It's good if you didn't grow up on tactical, realistic, patience-rewarding Tom Clancy titles but it's going to be like tiny papers cuts all over your gums if Rainbow Six Rogue Spear was your favorite game in the series.

Buy it for the coop and take it back right when you're done, otherwise, stay away.

Make up your mind.

I don't have the time and the patience to play games like the original ghost recon anymore....sad thing is the original ghost recon on PC is one of my favorite games ever, nothing like taking over red square or assaulting that farm in the middle of the night....but that was a different time.

So you think that at the point where you were loving playing ghost recon there were no people out there who were saying the exact thing you just said? I don't understand you're argument at all. YOU don't have the time or patience doesn't mean the concept for the game would become any less fun. Ghost Recon has become the franchise that is content with eating the scraps off CODs floor.
sjosz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By sjosz

How much would I like this game if I loved Splinter Cell: Conviction?

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jace

@Rohok: Great post. This was exactly the type of opinion I wanted on the game.

As a side note, how did you feel about GR: Raven Shield 3? Personally, it and SWAT 4 are my favorite tactical shooters.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

I'm digging it.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ShadowConqueror

There needs to be a game like Arma, but with good controls.

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Jace

@DeathbyYeti said:

@Dagbiker said:

Hopefully Rainbow 6 patriots will be what your looking for.

pffthahaha

...sorry bout that

The little bit of gameplay shown of Patriots actually looked relatively tactical. The player seems to have very precise control over how their gun is positioned in cover. In no way am I suggesting that I expect it to be good, but I have some (blind) hopes.

Edit: Went back and watched the video. Turns out, it isn't gameplay. But assuming that it's roughly representative, it looks more tactical than GRFS.

Avatar image for deathstriker666
deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By deathstriker666

The original Ghost Recon games were hardly tactical. They were punishing, unforgiving, and required you to be methodical. But tactical? No, you're clouded by nostalgia. Ultimately, all it boiled down to was to never let your Ghosts get shot at while taking out enemies one by one. Same for a lot of other games at the time as well.

The first Brothers in Arms did tactics way better. Scouting an area to figure out where best to put a fireteam, locating the best possible flanking routes were located for your assault team, hell Gearbox had that Army Colonel appear in every one of their promotional videos to tell you about the 4 F's. Find, Fire, Flank, Finish the job.

Never played it, but I heard a lot of good things about Full Spectrum Warrior. Remember reading some news articles that it was used to help treat PTSD. The Army seemed to like it so much that they didn't mind spending millions of dollars on it. Granted, they've wasted far more money on far more useless, unnecessary things. Like the Commanche or the Crusader programs.

GRAW introduced some squad and other various support mechanics into the series. The AI wasn't always the best, but they generally knew what to do once the red diamonds appeared on the HUD. I always thought the Network stuff was pretty cool, i.e. being able to see live video feeds from cameras on the helmets of other Ghosts, on UAV's, tanks, etc. Added greatly to a lot of the tactical elements to the game. Both games were short and fairly linear, but overall not bad games.

From what I've seen of Future Soldier, it seems to take the Ghost Recon down to a new level of crappy, linear stealth sections. That's not what I want out of any FPS/TPS. Do you even get to control your squad besides marking targets? I can only imagine Tom Clancy games getting worse from hear on out.

nights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By nights

I see you're on the Project Takedown forums, nice.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#45  Edited By MightyDuck

I'm enjoying the single player and co-op. the online has been a blast. I've seen people play pretty tactically with the sabotage game mode. I would agree its not as close to the old games, but still enjoyable none the less. I'm glad with my purchase,

Warihay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#46  Edited By Warihay

Really dissapointed with what they did to the multiplayer. I was a big fan of GRAW 1 and 2 but this game is so much more fast paced and action heavy. That along with the close corridors maps are not a good change to me.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By intro

I love how everyone throws around the word "tactical."

Running in a straight line spraying your gun everywhere is a tactic, believe it or not. So instead of saying it's not tactical anymore, explain specifically why it's not as good.

I might try out the free to play online game before I make a decision on buying the full game or not. I loved the hell out of Rainbow Six: Vegas 1 & 2.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#48  Edited By OneManX

I never really dug the older Rainbow 6 games, just the idea of planning out this gameplan, making your way in the slowest way, only to get done up by some dude, you didn't see out the corner of your eyes and you have to do ALL THAT AGAIN!

But I really enjoyed R6: Vegas 2, it still had you pace out your attack, but you could take a bit more damage and the game didn't penalize you for saying eff it and just murdering everything.

From what I've seen from Future Solider, it's a mix, but not true to what fans want. You can pace our moe of attack, and toss out sensors and pick guys off one by one, but then you'll moments where you are being swarmed and it turns into something you'd see out of more modern military games. But, I think it looks fun, and would be fun to play with friends online, but yeah if you love the more challenging games, this might not be the one for you.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By TheHumanDove

In my day, I was feared because I was a decent sniper in R6: Perfect Sword, and I liked it

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#50  Edited By CptChiken

I miss the first ghost recon game, that was really really fun.