Post-Redesign Development & Design Priorities

swordstruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I know you guys don't like hearing this, but the old design had so much more personality and polish than the current site. Obviously the latter comes with time, but how far down the roadmap (if it's on there at all) is the general look/design of the site? From the font treatments to the shadows, gradients, etc. the old site was 10000x better, to the point where right now it feels like we're navigating a template.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@wemmick said:

Fyi, a new treatment is now up for the homepage topslot. It's a bit more subtle and clearer than the old-new version. Hope ya'll like it!

I didn't mind the fullscreen layout but this looks nice and clean ?.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Just wanted to say that the most recent change to the homepage is a definite improvement; looking forward to seeing the rest of those items in the OP get crossed off.

mostman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Huge thumbs up on the new homepage header.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Ares42

@wemmick: While it does look somewhat better it doesn't really address the functionality issue. I still open the page and am presented with basically just a single video. Maybe it's just my setup, but if it was reduced to something like 85% size it would've made the initial page drastically more useful.

Edit: To illustrate, this is what the site looks like normally.

No Caption Provided

Now if I use the browser zoom function I can make it look like this, which is much more useful.

No Caption Provided

Sure, it doesn't look that good in this form, but if you float the main header left, stretched the carousel to fill the screen (showing more videos) and either put the upcoming section or maybe even forum feed on the right next to the header you'd have an actually good, informative and useful front page.

Edit 2: Apparently my windows was set to 125% magnification, leading to the bloated front page.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@ares42: generally I’m not sure why there is such an emphasis on horizontal carousels when the site is narrowly vertical. The look is cleaner but I agree that it doesn’t fix the overall issue of organization on the front page - both in terms of space and categories. I am consistently having to hunt around different hoppers for QL’s and shows that I KNOW have a new video up.

Avatar image for endsofinvention
EndsOfInvention

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Last night's PokeMonday Night Combat is showing up for me under both the Live drop-down menu and on the front page Upcoming shows panel. The time of the show is listed as "TODAY 12:30AM". Note: this is UK time. Right now (in the UK) it is 12:15PM so the show was on nearly 12 hours ago and obviously shouldn't be showing up on the Upcoming lists any more.

FunkyHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

New header design is awesome.

swordstruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The header looks significantly better without the unnecessary added padding:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Tbh, the more I think about it it just seems like the site was designed with mobile site design philosophy. Although checking it out on my pad it doesn't work any better there.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Just wanted to chime in and say the new header promo slot on the home page is a vast improvement.

No Caption Provided

This shot was in Chrome on a 1080p 16:9 montior, I think it works well and I'm much happier being able to see the latest bar in one page now. I like the padding, makes sense when you see the Watch Now and Watchlist buttons. I hope the rest of the site continues to see similar usability and layout improvements.

superslidetail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Home Page/splash screen looks way better now.

mmgreenmms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The new header image looks awesome on desktop and mobile! I love the show art inclusion. Great work!

TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

@wemmick The new header promo looks nice. The gradient sidebar is a nice touch.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#115  Edited By Ravelle

The new headers looks indeed super neat, hopefully they'll find the time and ideas to improve the plain looking carousels as well!

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know you guys don't like hearing this, but the old design had so much more personality and polish than the current site. Obviously the latter comes with time, but how far down the roadmap (if it's on there at all) is the general look/design of the site? From the font treatments to the shadows, gradients, etc. the old site was 10000x better, to the point where right now it feels like we're navigating a template.

The new home page header is a massive step in this direction. I used to love how uniquely GB the site used to look, but this new redesign made it feel like a very by-the-numbers modern site, with all of those pitfalls.

The new header looks great and adds a lot to the "feel" of the site. I'm really looking forward to additional touches of personality in the future. Maybe some more red highlights?

abnewton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love how a 'tiny' change to the header is somehow a 'huge' improvement, and has 'only' taken months of negativity for the small revision to be made :/

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

shakesvoltage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This change to the top slot is excellent.

Farkas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The top slot looks GOOD AS HELL. Baby steps, devcast. Proud of y'all.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

Nice going on the header. Looks a lot more clean now. Makes the front page vastly more inviting to me instead of overwhelming and bloated.

styx971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New topslot looks alot better than before , i still think it takes up way too much space size wise. ( i don't need 1 video to take up all that space on a 43" tv) but either way a nice improvement stylistically.

No Caption Provided
andrewf87462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really liking the change to the homepage.

TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@swordstruck said:

The new home page header is a massive step in this direction. I used to love how uniquely GB the site used to look, but this new redesign made it feel like a very by-the-numbers modern site, with all of those pitfalls.

The new header looks great and adds a lot to the "feel" of the site. I'm really looking forward to additional touches of personality in the future. Maybe some more red highlights?

100% This. More of this please @danauer !

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That new topspot is waaaaay to big now. It looks cool, but I hope you'll resize it again, everything's pretty much too big already anyway.

ExiledVip3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New homepage is a huge improvement. I can actually see more than just the topslot now at 1440p. Though I think the blur on the right background of the topslot is over the top, something more subtle in the 0.10-0.20em range looks a lot nicer to me, but at that low I'm sure readability varies depending on the image used (it was GBE Playdate when I was looking at it).

bobby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#128  Edited By bobby

I’m using Safari on an iPad Pro and all the fonts on the site are so tiny. I have to two-finger pinch to zoom in and then drag the page around. The comments section for videos is illegible normally.

No Caption Provided

pickassoreborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@handlas said:

@abnewton: Entitled much?

If he's a subscriber, there's a bit of entitlement. Yeah.

TacoDynamics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

(On Chrome Win10 desktop) Not sure where to put this, but I kind of have an issue with a part of the new design. the Infinite/Upcoming part is super empty and takes up way too much space. If both of those would be accessible from page load instead of scrolling it would be a lot cleaner. Infinite between the GB logo an Live and upcoming as a right side pull out tab maybe? I know it's trying to use Metro styling, but that isn't really effective there. Love everything else about the design though. :)

Avatar image for deactivated-6373f6c34cbfb
deactivated-6373f6c34cbfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like the new topslot. I would even prefer it to be 50%/50% instead of 75%/25%, but it's really good nonetheless.

jamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@wemmick: I know comment counts are not top priority but it makes it so much easier for me finding what videos to watch and getting me to watch things I never would of thought to.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bobby: I wish GB had a proper portrait mode like IGN or kotaku. But I suppose they use a vastly different css framework underneath.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By BrainScratch

Forums are broken. Again.

Column sizes changed on the main forum page and forum posts have the wrong sizes on the avatars and a larger space between comments.

Posting pictures is also broken. Selecting the option for the medium size will show them in the small size.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

wemmick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnymyko: Thanks for flagging - we'll take a look at those.

wemmick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@borklund: The continue watching issue you posted should be resolved. Thanks for letting us know!

mostman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By mostman
No Caption Provided

Ok duders I get it. Infinite! But three sections dedicated to it? An entire page on a large mobile phone.

TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By TheAdmin

@wemmick The quick looks show page is completely broken. When I click on the show page it takes me to a Trials quick look, which I don't understand why - its not the latest or the most recent quick look I watched. The most recent QL it shows in carrousel view is Dawn of Man from March 21. If I switch to grid view, the latest one it shows is Sunless skies.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Recently I've been encountering a problem where the audio is de-synched from the video. Clicking play on a page will start the audio, but not the video. Clicking play again gets the video to play, but also starts a second audio track. It's pretty hellish. You need to refresh the page to fix it.

This appears to happen most often when clicking into the Big Video from the front page.

Avatar image for deactivated-6373f6c34cbfb
deactivated-6373f6c34cbfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@swordstruck said:

...by-the-numbers modern site...

I agree with this characterization.

To the designers, I think a big thing that people are reacting to is the font. Proxima Nova looks very clean and modern. I think the font that was used on the old site, Jubilat, represents the personality of Giant Bomb well. The irony is that fonts that look like Jubliat are more current than fonts that look like Proxima Nova, if you just take a look at sites like typewolf.com and awwwards.com. And what I'm also seeing in the web design community is a huge reaction against the tenents of flat design, to the point where words like "clean" and "minimal" are seen as memes. So I'd hope that the designers aren't worried about looking current, because it actually looks already dated.

borklund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just noticed I lost all of my video progress bars.

wemmick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theadmin: I am seeing this issue in the carousel view, but when I switch to grid, I am able to use the pagination links at the bottom to get to the latest QL. Are you seeing the pagination tools? Or are they not working?

servernode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been watching these threads hoping for changes for a while but at this point it seems pretty obvious only minimal changes are in the pipeline for the near future.

I hope the site improves but I simply do not find it pleasant to use anymore and I have cancelled my premium membership.

void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#148  Edited By void

• More episodes sorted latest first, added option to change sort order

This one isn't fixed. Changing order to oldest first also scrolls/changes to last page, so it seems like all it does is scrolling to oldest and not an actual sort. It should keep the same page. Or just default to page 1.

TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wemmick Can we get an estimate of when the rest of the items on the fix list will be done? Are we looking in the next few weeks? months? Also, can you please allow us to set grid/carousel view as a toggle that stays? I like to use grid much more and that would be wonderful.

squashysquish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I just want to chime in to say that the player interface is awesome now! It's great to be able to know at a glance who uploaded/wrote the description, who appeared in the video, and what was played. The cast will be particularly helpful with guests! Being able to see a list of videos in which a given person is in would be really handy down the line, but the current design is sweet.