Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Brute Force

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released May 27, 2003

Brute Force was a highly anticipated Xbox-exclusive shooter that was developed by Digital Anvil.

Now that Brutus is (likely) coming back will he dethrone Master Chief and become Xbox's main mascot character?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Now that Brutus is (likely) coming back will he dethrone Master Chief and become Xbox's main mascot character? (63 votes)

Definitely 8%
    Who is Master Chief? I thought Brutus WAS the mascot all along. 49%
    Absolutely 6%
    I am too busy playing Brute Force to answer this. When backwards compatibility happens I will have someone start Brute Force on an Xbox One and slip the controller into my hand so I don't have to stop playing Brute Force to switch systems. 37%

Brute Force was a third person shooter that launched in 2003, meant to supplement Halo with a second shooter franchise the way that Gears of War actually WOULD 3 years later. The game was...not great. It was a mediocre third person shooter with kind of bad graphics, which in 2003 meant it was actually kind of clunky and awful. Giant Bomb has a video.

But during the marketing push for Brute Force a lot was made of Brutus, a superintelligent lizard guy who was one of the squad members, and who the game was named after. They clearly thought he had the baditude necessary to be a popular character. He was maybe supposed to stand aside Blinx: The Timesweeper, as a major Xbox character. He vanished without a trace, less remembered than even Blinx.

But now Brute Force will likely be backward compatible to Xbox One and Brutus will have another chance to shine. He is now freed of the expectations and context of the early 2000s, and unlike human skin lizard skin doesn't wrinkle over time. He looks just as fresh as ever.

So the question is simple. On the strength of this likely semi-rerelease can Brutus finally achieve his destiny and unseat Master Chief to become Xbox's main mascot and company representative?

I'd say that he's significant underdog but hey, you never know.

• 
    Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
    alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YES

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

wut?

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Can't wait to hang out with Brutus.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/bruteforce/images/f/f3/Brutus3.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130704045512

X-BOXXXSSSSSSSSS

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

i played brute force back in the day it was terrible

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

What is more certain? Definitely or absolutely?

Avatar image for deactivated-66361f5b4a584
    deactivated-66361f5b4a584

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I look forward to seeing Brutus embark on a deeply personal journey, questioning authority and searching for the truth.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Finally somebody asks the important question.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You just got BRUTE FORCED.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FrodoBaggins

I loved Brute Force back in't day.

Darson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

You'll be able to enjoy this classic title and many others with the all-new XBOX....no you know the XBO X....not like the original XBOX or the XBOX One...XBOXOX?

notkcots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By notkcots

Can we recruit someone to read the Brute Force novel? I can't help but think there's a lot of rich characterization of Brutus we've missed out on these last 15 years.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@notkcots: This is an excellent idea. If people are interested I will read Brute Force:Betrayals (it is not "the Brute Force novel" it is a separate and presumably wonderful piece of art) and recap what I learn about once and future Xbox Icon Brutus so we can all have context for the story when we replay Brute Force after it becomes backwards compatible.

I am eager to look even deeper into Brutus' soul than the game takes us and learn what this character is all about, bot just as a video game icon, but as a thinking, feeling, loving lizard man.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.