Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock

Franchise »

Bioshock is a series of award winning first person shooters published by 2K Games. The first and third games were developed by Ken Levine's Irrational Games, while the second installment was handled by 2K Marin.

Would you kindly tell me, how should one make the return to Rapture?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Poll Would you kindly tell me, how should one make the return to Rapture? (49 votes)

Replay BioShock (it's the only choice) 55%
    Play BioShock 2 (check it out, it's actually pretty cool) 35%
    Just play Minerva's Den (it's dope and the right DLC won) 10%

This thought has been rattling in my head for about, I think, 2 years now: "I should revisit BioShock." Recently, it's been even more frequent seeing some of you mention having a good time with The Collection. BioShock, for me, was the 1st last gen game that made me think "This is next gen" so I think it's certainly 'bout time I inject some sort of BioShock into my veins again, being 10 years old and all.

I'm not listing Infinite as I feel it's too recent still*
    I'm not going to buy The Collection if that's somehow a factor*

• 
    Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Dixavd

Not even going to put that Bioshock Infinite DLC on the list, huh? (I have no horse in this race, I have little interest in the creepy city of Rapture).

Oops noticed your *comment about finding Infinite too recent - well I'm an idiot. Weirdly, I read the comment under the poll and just ignored the * lines.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Play Bioshock 2 an Minerva's Den. Bioshock doesn't really hold up, especially if you've played it before. It's got a great atmosphere and alright story, but really isn't fun to play.

Bioshock 2 is actually a fun game to play and still has a story better than most other shooters. It's probably better if you're kind of hazy about the first game as it makes it easier to ignore how much they try to shoehorn the antagonist into Rapture.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By pompouspizza

I think Bioshock holds up really well and I think 2 is a fine game, having recently played the collection. I was super disappointed by Minerva's Den though, I never played it when it came out and after years of high expectations because of the way people talk about how amazing it is, I found it tremendously disappointing.

GuitarGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get the bioshock collection! it's the definitive way to play bioshock.

It's one of the few remasters that looks completely different from the originals, and in a good way. The lighting and frame rate are perfect, so much more smooth and visually appealing than the original games. 1 and 2 are great games, and they look amazing on the ps4. I would totally recommend jumping back into 1, that is the best bioshock game imo. Infinite is an okay game, but to me, it's not really bioshock.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bioshock 2 is underrated and does well to justify it's own existence as a very unnecessary sequel by just being a good game. Minerva's Den is an especially nice cherry on top of the whole thing. Play through 2 with whatever difficulty you want, and then play Minerva's Den even just on easy if you're feeling a bit burnt out on Bioshock at that point so you can speed through it.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, people have wildly varying opinions on Bioshock games.

Here's mine.

Bioshock 1 has the better story. Bioshock 2 has the better game play. Infinite is more similar to 1 than 2 (which makes sense considering the developers) but with a worse story, so ehh.

I only played through Infinite for my first time about a month ago, and the game play was so reminiscent of 1, I immediately settled into the groove of digging through every single trash can, desk, and cupboard in sight for upgrade cash. Take that as you will...

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Bioshock 2 is a great game. It has some narrative problems but I still really like what they were trying to do with it. Also, the gameplay is all around much better, much more satisfying. Definitely give it a shot. Minerva's Den is the real standout when it comes to Bioshock 2, though.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Tennmuerti

I'd say play both Bioshock 1 and 2, for all it's faults 2 is actually still decent imo, it has a better ending then the first game even and makes a more varied use of the weapon/ability toolkit.

Also while we are on the topic, this might be a somewhat controversial opinion on this site, but I am of a firm thought that Minerva's Den sucks ass, I found it's narrative to be banally predictable and rote. The way some people feel about AI stories these days since there have been so many, well lets just say I had grown up on AI stories and thus had a negative opinion on that DLC back then.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

BioShock's story is dumb. The whole 'would you kindly' thing completely ruined it, but it turned out that was also the only pillar on which the narrative was standing. Needless to say it collapsed on top of itself when it concluded. The reason it doesn't work is because they were trying to suggest the player is 'controlled'. No, I wasn't. The very first 'would you kindly' I tried to ignore, but your game wouldn't let me. Going for a 'ha! You were totally mind controlled all this time!' when you've build your game to refuse progress if the player doesn't do as told is super lame.

I will never understand why BioShock got so many honors for its narrative. It is the best example of how a story on paper doesn't necessarily work in a videogame. But hey, opinions. Most people also dislike the narrative in Infinite even though I thought it was great.

Also, Infinite being the most recent is actually the reason I would play it again. It plays the best, looks the best and I think it's also the most interesting.

onyxghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'd play Minerva's den. It's quick and to the point.

The question did get me thinking of how I'd return to Rapture. The city was originally populated by free thinking scientists, workers and their families. Why not center on a pre-teen protagonist. The son or daughter of a well respected scientist and there life before the fall and insanity. Make the protagonist a real Peter Parker archetype. As the oldest of let's say three children, when the fall hits your father is killed and it fall to you to save your siblings and escape.

Boom. Use guns, build guns fight insane plasmid addicts.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.