Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Feb 16, 2012

The Nonary Game continues in this sequel to Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors under the localized title of Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward.

Snappier than 999?

joques

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

So I just finished watching 999 on my iPad, and I really liked the story and the timespace-philosophical narrative - but holy crap is it slow-paced. I thought the Metal Gear series was bad about padding dialogue with needless repetition, but this one takes the biscuit. I think the last segment, the "true" ending, took me 4 or 5 hours to sit through from the final story branch, at the highest text speed setting, for what in-game should be an hour. I was tearing my hair out at the needlessly slow pace of the dialogue boxes and the all the needless repetion. Think: "Metal Gear?! No! It can't be!" over and over and over and over.

So yes, I loved the narrative, even though they should have cut half of the lines and made the transitions a lot snappier.

So - how is VLR in this regard? Have they tightened up the dialogue direction and given options to advance quicker through the dialogue?

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I can't speak to the iPad version of 999 but in VLR you're able to skip to the end of the current text box just like you could in 999. They've also added a button to skip through previously read text.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

What ImHungry said. Although I would like to note that it's my understanding that the iOS version of 999 is the FAST version of that game. The original DS version had puzzle rooms you needed to solve every time through, and I believe iOS has a few other quick dialogue options not present originally.

It was kind of a hassle.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Needless repetition and endless longwinded writing is a staple of visual novels. I haven't personally played any of the zero time series, but I would bet that if you thought 999 had writing issues along those lines, VLR will too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.