Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Like a Dragon

Franchise »

A free-roaming action-adventure series starring Kazuma Kiryu, a former member of the Japanese Dojima crime family who is drawn into conflict against several Yakuza gangs. The franchise's games are marketed as realistic criminal simulations.

Sega has shut down all of Yakuza sites outside of Japan.

• 55 results
    theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Man I just hope they don't fuck up Persona and Atlus. I know that Atlus has been self sufficient, but Sega is kind of sketch (at least the RTS business is going well for them)

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@iamjohn said:
    @grissefar said:

@darji said:

@grissefar: I am not a dick here I just question VG chartz^^

For comparison. First week US Persona 4: 110,000 and Golden even did 137,076 and that is US alone. These sales are pretty good for such a niche game. So people really need to worry about Persona 5 not comming to the west.

Wow, you actually had a point there. I like that, man. I know what you were trying to do, and it was extremely pointless. Do you not get that I don't care if the real sales were 200k or 300k? The point is, sales between Persona and Yakuza in the West were similar. Do you get it? Unless you are making a complicated market sales or marketing analysis, you probably don't need ultra-accurate data.

Except they're not similar at all. You can keep saying this and we can turn this into arguing about VGChartz's fake numbers all everyone wants, but it's not the same. The Persona games are much cheaper to make and are localized and published by a company specifically built to handle breaking even on selling 50,000 copies. That's hasn't been Sega for years. They've always wanted Yakuza to be as big in the West as it is in Japan. That it's impossible for a multitude of reasons doesn't matter if it's the expectation they have as a mid-sized publisher who doesn't want to waste their time with smaller projects. And when, in their minds, those resources could be better used on Football Manager or Total War or Relic or things that actually make them money and appeal to far more people than a niche Japanese PlayStation-exclusive franchise and they've tried it five times to no real success, no wonder they're done.

Of course, that doesn't preclude Atlus USA from jumping in.

Who cares about what they cost to make? Yakuza sells gangbusters in Japan, so the whole point is whether localization is worth it, which should be a given, since it doesn't even have english voices. So since it probably takes little effort to localize it, throw it on PSN and make a few bucks, I think they are assholes for not doing it - especially since Y5 got a proper 2 year development. Now it is unfortunately a sad trend, and Sega is far from the only publisher to go this route. Demon's Souls of all games almost got thrown in the shitter by Sony, had Atlus not picked it up.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@iamjohn said:
    @grissefar said:

@darji said:

For comparison. First week US Persona 4: 110,000 and Golden even did 137,076 and that is US alone. These sales are pretty good for such a niche game. So people really need to worry about Persona 5 not comming to the west.

Wow, you actually had a point there. I like that, man. I know what you were trying to do, and it was extremely pointless. Do you not get that I don't care if the real sales were 200k or 300k? The point is, sales between Persona and Yakuza in the West were similar. Do you get it? Unless you are making a complicated market sales or marketing analysis, you probably don't need ultra-accurate data.

Except they're not similar at all. You can keep saying this and we can turn this into arguing about VGChartz's fake numbers all everyone wants, but it's not the same. The Persona games are much cheaper to make and are localized and published by a company specifically built to handle breaking even on selling 50,000 copies. That's hasn't been Sega for years. They've always wanted Yakuza to be as big in the West as it is in Japan. That it's impossible for a multitude of reasons doesn't matter if it's the expectation they have as a mid-sized publisher who doesn't want to waste their time with smaller projects. And when, in their minds, those resources could be better used on Football Manager or Total War or Relic or things that actually make them money and appeal to far more people than a niche Japanese PlayStation-exclusive franchise and they've tried it five times to no real success, no wonder they're done.

Who cares about what they cost to make? Yakuza sells gangbusters in Japan, so the whole point is whether localization is worth it, which should be a given, since it doesn't even have english voices. So since it probably takes little effort to localize it, throw it on PSN and make a few bucks, I think they are assholes for not doing it - especially since Y5 got a proper 2 year development. Now it is unfortunately a sad trend, and Sega is far from the only publisher to go this route. Demon's Souls of all games almost got thrown in the shitter by Sony, had Atlus not picked it up.

No one really could imagine the success of Demon Souls. There were games like that I think it was called Kings field? And it was a disaster sales wise. And I really get why Sega is not doing it anymore if its not profitable or you even lose money. That is why fansubber should step in and do the job because they love the series. Fansubs are often even better translated than the original ones.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#54  Edited By veektarius

@yesiamaduck said:

@yadilie said:

@veektarius: Has nothing to do with how they treat their IPs. It has everything to do with the Western gaming market. This website is a great testament to that. The West is ignorant. The amount of times I hear something is "too Japanese" is fucking astonishing and disgraceful. But you know. Those people won. We get badly ported re-releases of old Dreamcast games and shitty Sonic games from SEGA. Congrats guys. You won. =)

And the japanese market is full of people who don't buy western games.... the cultural differences in taste is nothing new, in fact one could argue the Asian markets refusal to ever seemingly embrace anything in the video game market that isn't japanese would make me think that the asian culture is more closed off than the western when it comes to video games.

Mario. Metal Gear Solid.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

God damnit. I was holding out hope that we may eventually get 5, too...

I guess I'll import it once THE BEST version comes out or something. Ugh.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Darji

@artelinarose said:

God damnit. I was holding out hope that we may eventually get 5, too...

I guess I'll import it once THE BEST version comes out or something. Ugh.

December 5th in Japan^^ With some specia disc about Ishin^^

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By MikkaQ
    @nictel said:

@mikkaq said:

Why can't they just release an all-digital version like the people who translated Way of the Samurai 4? The text translation costs practically nothing and bandwidth costs are pretty small too.

See I wonder this with more games, for some there is even already a fan-translation. Just hire 2/3 translators and release it digital. You probably need to sell what, a thousand games to get the costs out?

Yeah it seems that simple. but who knows. I don't think Sega has done this yet but it looks like it's worked out for Atlus, NIS, and some others. One can only hope that the increased focus on digital distribution on these new consoles will compel Sega to start releasing some of these games. Or in a perfect world their acquisition of Atlus would lead them to releasing more games in the west with their great translations.

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
    SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Time to learn Japanese

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@grissefar said:

@iamjohn said:
    @grissefar said:

@darji said:

No one really could imagine the success of Demon Souls. There were games like that I think it was called Kings field? And it was a disaster sales wise. And I really get why Sega is not doing it anymore if its not profitable or you even lose money. That is why fansubber should step in and do the job because they love the series. Fansubs are often even better translated than the original ones.

Sorry for calling you a dickhead, man. I guess it was just me pissing out my ass, if you know what I mean. Ha ! Ha ! Sometimes I just get really pissed off when people shit on VGchartz and don't offer an alternative, I guess.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#60  Edited By ZombiePie

@grissefar: @darji: This topic is to discuss the shut down of sites related to the Yakuza franchise. A discussion pertaining to the accuracy of VGchartz or the NPD is off topic. Please cease this conversation.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grissefar: @darji: This topic is to discuss the shut down of sites related to the Yakuza franchise. A discussion pertaining to the accuracy of VGchartz or the NPD is off topic. Please cease this conversation.

Boy was that unnecessary. The discussion ended ages ago, man.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.