Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xenoblade Chronicles

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jun 10, 2010

An RPG developed by Monolith Soft, for Wii and New Nintendo 3DS. Two great civilizations that live on the vast bodies of slain deities have been at war for aeons, and now with the development of a dangerous superweapon, things are finally coming to a head.

When does this game get good?

bighat_logan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bighat_logan

I bought it yesterday after literally everyone in the world saying this is the best thing ever for a year. I've played it for 10 hours so far and it seems like a typical JRPG so far. I mean the hero's town get attacked in the beginning, that's like JRPG trope #1. I think I'm dead on the inside. The fact that the whole world is an ancient giant robot should be awesome, but it does nothing for me. I'm enjoying it, because I like JRPGs but this does not seem to be nothing more than that. I know 10 hours in a JRPG is like a half hour in any other game.

modedude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By modedude

Honestly the real thing that sets this game apart is it's combat and MMO-like structure. If those aren't really appealing to you then I'm not sure what's going to do this for you. I mean I think the art direction's pretty cool, the voice acting's okay, and the story definitely is a bit generic. But I'd say give it more of a go until you start getting a few more party members, then see what it's like, if they're any fun to play with. If not then maybe the game isn't for you.

bighat_logan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By bighat_logan

damn buyer's remorse burns 

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By Hailinel

@bighat_logan said:

damn buyer's remorse burns

Well, what were you expecting to get out of it? I've poured over fifty hours into the game so far, and while the story does contain some well-worn tropes, it wears them well while the story itself is interesting and the characters are engaging. I like roving around the towns and helping people, exploring the vast maps (holy shit, these maps are huge), and the combat and character progression systems are well done and, in my mind, the combat is a serious step up from Final Fantasy XII. I'm enjoying the story, no doubt, but there's so much to see and do beyond that. I haven't once felt rushed or pressured to move on with the story and have been content to go at my own pace. People say that the game could be finished in 70 hours if you stick mostly to the main quest, but I have a feeling that at this rate, my completion time is going to be well above that with everything else I'm doing.

So really, unless you're absolutely despising your time with it, I'd recommend you not give up yet.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By PixelPrinny

In today's news, user creates thread about popular game asking when it gets "good".

bighat_logan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bighat_logan
    @Hailinel: No, I'm not hating it. I just fell victim to the year straight of hype.  For a year straight anyone that's even looked at this game says it the most amazing 2nd coming of Christ for JRPGs ever. I've played it for about 17 hours hours and it seem pretty typical. 

The fact that it takes place on a world sized robot should be way cooler than it actually is.  The only time you actually get a sense, that you're on this robot is when they show you that "Hey you're on the arm" map. I'm enjoying because I like JRPGs but really doesn't seem to special. Maybe it's because I'm playing Atelier Totori at the same time as this, and loving the hell out it.
    Tackchevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7  Edited By Tackchevy

Sucks. It's a great game, but it may not work for you for whatever intangible reason. Could just be over-hype. You fired it up expecting your life to be upgraded permanently, you received only an awesome 80 hour RPG.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By BoG

This one isn't about the story. It's about the great gameplay.

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By evanbower

For me the game clicked right away. I think a big part of it was the combat system, but also just a love for the world they created. It seems like such a great mix of classic jrpg stuff thrown into this ico/journey for you to discover that is such a strength of Japanese art direction. Japanese games are great at creating those worlds, and at letting you have fun in obsessing over character stats and abilities, but xenoblade is definitely in the smaller list of games that let you do both really well. Hope you can get into it!

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By evanbower
    @evanbower
    For me the game clicked right away. I think a big part of it was the combat system, but also just a love for the world they created. It seems like such a great mix of classic jrpg stuff thrown into this ico/journey for you to discover that is such a strength of Japanese art direction. Japanese games are great at creating those worlds, and at letting you have fun in obsessing over character stats and abilities, but xenoblade is definitely in the smaller list of games that let you do both really well. Hope you can get into it!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.