Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox Live

Concept »

Xbox Live is Microsoft's online gaming service.

Why are people such cheap asses about Xbox Live fees?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

L4wz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By L4wz

Why do so many people complain that you have to pay $50 a year for Xbox Live when you get WAY more then your money's worth out of it? Even if you only made minimum wage you would make like what 3-4 times that amount in a week. So what is the deal?
    DewRequired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By DewRequired

Because as of late the PS3 has nearly matched it feature for feature, and it's free. In which case you wouldn't be getting your money's worth at all.

Phaseshift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Phaseshift
    @DewRequired said:
    " Because as of late the PS3 has nearly matched it feature for feature, and it's free. In which case you wouldn't be getting your money's worth at all. "
    So PSN has acey bongos news!
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By zombie2011

I don't get it either, its $50 a year.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By zombie2011
    @DewRequired said:
    " Because as of late the PS3 has nearly matched it feature for feature, and it's free. In which case you wouldn't be getting your money's worth at all. "
    Well seeing you get some Arcade games for free and 1 vs 100 is free which is worth the $50 a year alone it really is worth it.
    Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Pazy

I choose not pay for Xbox Live Gold because it dosent offer anything over PC multiplayer or, of late, PSN for me. I was happy to pay for it before when I played it a lot (I was big into Halo 2) but I havent played it enough (like maybe online once every 3 weeks) to make it worth the price.

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By nick_verissimo

Sure it's a premium, but when you break it down to about 4 bucks a month it's not all that bad, especially considering the discount game deals that come out every week.  You could make a case that that 4 bucks a month pretty much evens the deal you get out, but I need to justify this somehow?

DewRequired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DewRequired
    @zombie2011 said:
    " @DewRequired said:
    Well seeing you get some Arcade games for free and 1 vs 100 is free which is worth the $50 a year alone it really is worth it. "
    If you find 1 vs. 100 to be worth $50 a year I suppose. I pay for XBL just like the rest of us and I have no intention of stopping, but it's pretty obvious to me that it's overpriced for what you get compared to the market (aka - PSN).
    L4wz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By L4wz
    @DewRequired said:
    "Because as of late the PS3 has nearly matched it feature for feature, and it's free. In which case you wouldn't be getting your money's worth at all. "

OK you can follow me on Twitter... oh wait.....
    Phaseshift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Phaseshift

Seriously guys, if you want xbox live gold then you pay for it if not you don't. I think someone needs feeding.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By mordukai

Personally I don't see any need for paying for XBL as I really don't play MP all that much. If I have the need to play MP then I have PSN for that and that's about it. Just accept that some people think it's worth it and some don't. That's the way the world works. I do agree that XBL is not all that expensive but it just doesn't offer me anything that's worth getting the gold subscription for. Personally I think online play should be free, period., and that also includes MMOs.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Pazy
    @L4wz said:
    " @DewRequired said:
    "Because as of late the PS3 has nearly matched it feature for feature, and it's free. In which case you wouldn't be getting your money's worth at all. "
    OK you can follow me on Twitter... oh wait..... "

I could just load up twitter.com on the PS3 web browser, you could follow me on Giant Bomb using your 360..no you cant what about adding me as a friend on Bebo? Or Myspace? or Friendster lol or Tumblr or AIM, ICQ...other IM Protocols! See I can be sarcastic too ;)

DewRequired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DewRequired
    @L4wz said:
    " @DewRequired said:
    Now you've convinced me. I'd love to spend $50 to go check my twitter and take 10 minutes to type something in on my tv, when it would take half as much time to do it at a computer. Which I clearly have if I'm using XBL in the first place.

Btw- I can follow you on twitter, because I do pay the $50 for XBL, which I already mentioned. Try reading a little bit.
    L4wz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By L4wz
    @Pazy said:
    "@L4wz said:
    " @DewRequired said:

I could just load up twitter.com on the PS3 web browser, you could follow me on Giant Bomb using your 360..no you cant what about adding me as a friend on Bebo? Or Myspace? or Friendster lol or Tumblr or AIM, ICQ...other IM Protocols! See I can be sarcastic too ;)

"

K, have fun with the thousands of downloadable arcade games and platnum hits released as early as last year. Oops sorry I forgot you don't have that.
    Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sushbag
    @L4wz said:
    " Why do so many people complain that you have to pay $50 a year for Xbox Live when you get WAY more then your money's worth out of it? Even if you only made minimum wage you would make like what 3-4 times that amount in a week. So what is the deal? "
    Because it's fucking terrible? If I'm paying for an internet service I want lightning fast matchmaking, quality dedicated servers running for all the games, and crystal clear voice chat clarity. If I want none of those things and just want to play an online console game, then I'll play something on my PS3, where I'm not being raped for more money at every turn.
    ki11tank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By ki11tank

they're either poor ass failures as adults or kids that save their lunch money to buy games.

L4wz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By L4wz

@Sushbag said:

" @L4wz said:
    " Why do so many people complain that you have to pay $50 a year for Xbox Live when you get WAY more then your money's worth out of it? Even if you only made minimum wage you would make like what 3-4 times that amount in a week. So what is the deal? "
    Because it's fucking terrible? If I'm paying for an internet service I want lightning fast matchmaking, quality dedicated servers running for all the games, and crystal clear voice chat clarity. If I want none of those things and just want to play an online console game, then I'll play something on my PS3, where I'm not being raped for more money at every turn. "

Yeah have fun spending $60 on one Blue tooth headset just so you can talk to people on PSN :D

Raid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Raid

Well since all the game servers are run via P2P your literally paying $50 a year for nothing. Weekly deals, demos, twitter, facebook, netflix, etc are all things that you can get for free via PSN or PC/Steam. It's just functionality removed from silver members in order to force them to pay for gold.

Sil3n7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Sil3n7

Because you have ads shoved in your face every other minute... Why would I pay for that? Microsoft is making money off of yearly subscriptions, dlc hosting fees and obnoxious ads. Its ridiculous compared to PSN. I can't wait till Sony has a more cohesive online experience so they are competitive enough to show just how greedy Microsoft really is...

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Pazy
    @L4wz said:
    "

@Sushbag said:

" @L4wz said:
    Because it's fucking terrible? If I'm paying for an internet service I want lightning fast matchmaking, quality dedicated servers running for all the games, and crystal clear voice chat clarity. If I want none of those things and just want to play an online console game, then I'll play something on my PS3, where I'm not being raped for more money at every turn. "

Yeah have fun spending $60 on one Blue tooth headset just so you can talk to people on PSN :D

"
    Why would I pay $60 (apart from that fact id pay £20) when there isnt anyone to talk to on PSN lol well thats not completely true since almost everyone on Socom has a headset and all my friends (who are PS3 online players mostly though they have 360's) also have headsets. 
    imhuntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By imhuntad

LOL @ the blue tooth headset comment. I think it's awesome that the PS3 has free online and I've been wanting one for a while. I still feel fine paying for Xbox Live. The PS3, in my book has not matched the 360 feature by feature as some are suggesting. I'm not sure why people would state that as fact...hmm.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Pazy
    @L4wz said:
    " @Pazy said:
    "@L4wz said:
    " @DewRequired said:

"
    K, have fun with the thousands of downloadable arcade games and platnum hits released as early as last year. Oops sorry I forgot you don't have that. "

I do since i have a PC and a 360 too though thats besides the point lol apart from the fact that XBL dosent have thousands (most of which are crap) PSN has plenty of downloadable games and got full games way before XBL did with games like Burnout Paradise and Socom Confrontation plus all the games for PSP which are release day and date (hopefully lol at least close) with all the PSP games. The equivelant of full PSP games are the Zune games which...are planned for next year?

PS3 also has access to every video on youtube (and all of the streaming video sites ive tried work on PS3) and it has its own video marketplace. PSN also has most of the experimental games like Flower, Flow, Linger in Shadows or games like Fat Princess, Socom and Ratchet and Clank: Quest for Booty. While XBL has some full games it dosent get them any new "full" games as big as Socom and Ratchet and Clank.

Plus the PS3 can use a lot more video formats than Xbox live and I cant copy things onto the hard drive so I use my PS3 to watch videos I download on PC on my TV.

Oh and enjoy overpaying for Wi-Fi ;)

Side note: It should be noted im just playing Devil's Advocate, though I dont pay for XBL personally I see the value in both systems and enjoy games on all consoles.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hamz

Well this topic was going fine until the topic creator decided to get all fanboyish, locked.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.