Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

360 Price raise in UK

TomTheRealist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By TomTheRealist

Just read the story on Kotaku, and I simply can't understand it. 
    This is fast becoming a slightly dated console, and yet the price is being raised? (£130 to£160)
     Microsoft are explaining this as a response to the poor exchange rate between the pound and the euro.  Even the peripherals are going slightly up in price.

Seriously; is this in any way acceptable? I'd be interested to hear from people who perhaps understand the economics behind the decision a bit better. 

ANYONE?

themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By themartyr

woah, that's ridiculous.

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By EdIsCool

Strange decision.Thank god we gave all our power to Belgium.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By zombie2011

Well the pound and the euro are getting closer in what they are worth, in the world market. So MS figured they have to charge the same amount of pounds for the console in england as they do euros in France or other european countries.

TomTheRealist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TomTheRealist
    @zombie2011 said:
    " Well the pound and the euro are getting closer in what they are worth, in the world market. So MS figured they have to charge the same amount of pounds for the console in england as they do euros in France or other european countries. "
    Yeah, this makes sense to me. I suppose just a raise in price seems so mad in such a competitive market with the PS3 business hitting shelves before Christmas doesn't.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Scooper

Well if they raise the price they'll be even closer to the PS3 and Wii which means they'll sell less consoles. Pretty silly but ok.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By toowalrus

If the Xbox was much cheaper just across the boarder, that could cause a problem. Price adjustment to account for changing currency balance is annoying, but completely acceptable.

gamenut101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By gamenut101

Microsoft trade in Euros, so it makes good business for then to up the UK price. There are only two entities two blame for this!

1.THE CITY 
    2. THE LABOUR PARTY.

Greed, lies, massive country debt and a bloody big bubble  have  shaged the pound big time!

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Griddler

This is shaping up to be Sony's year come christmas

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jonnyboy

Welcome to Rip-off Britain, please try not to enjoy your stay.

Seriously this is the stupidest news ever, Banks and Corporations lose a shit-ton of money and the economy goes tits up, and yet Microsoft still sponsor corporate event for these companies and we pick up the bill. Fuck off.

JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By JerichoBlyth

This would have been an acceptable price for an xbox 360 w/Project Natal bundle...but if this is going to be the price of a standalone Xbox 360, I can only predict a Merry Sony Christmas.

Isn't Microsoft's 360 supposed to be a cheap and affordable console for those who wish to play games in HD yet could not give a shit about watching movies in the same quality? I mean the PS3 Slim is only going to be around £30 more expensive in some stores and that'll be blu-ray ready, so that it gives people the option to watch things in HD at least.

This is the dumbest decision to come out of Microsoft since they canned the premium bundles...which of course, were always seen as the middle man deals as opposed to buying a cheap and nasty hard driveless core unit and a super-expensive black HDMI enabled beast for 'hardcore gamers'.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By iam3green

dang that sucks. they should have kept it in the same price it has been. they could have changed it a lot earlier so it doesn't seem like a lost right now. i think it would lead to microsoft actually losing more money because people are going to say the price went up. i'm going to get a ps3 now or something like that.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By crunchUK

They claim it's the pound-euro rate but why the hell should we have to pay more than japan and the USA in the first place?!

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Nintendo did it to the wii, and the in-store price changed very little. It'll be the same with the 360.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By flaminghobo

I hope to god I don't red ring again anytime soon.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Lashe

It's the recession folks. If the pound doesn't start crawling back soon, I'm not going to be a happy camper!

EDIT: Oh and those of you who think Sony aren't going to do the exact same thing are idiots.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @Lashe said:
    "It's the recession folks. If the pound doesn't start crawling back soon, I'm not going to be a happy camper!  EDIT: Oh and those of you who think Sony aren't going to do the exact same thing are idiots. "

Not necessarily, not raising the price, or at least holding off doing so, might help to garner a bunch more sales before christmas as people in a huff about the price of the 360 may buy a PS3 on a knee jerk reaction instead. People are plenty silly enough to act like that. I say it makes good sense for them not to do it at least for a while.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@zombie2011:

The pound is climbing away from the Euro again. While the Euro was at one point stronger, the exchange rate is back a 1:1.17 roughly, and is estimated to rest at around 1.3 by the end of the year, start of next year. Thats more or less what it was before the recession. Given that, I can't fathom this move at all.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Linkyshinks

I doubt this will be reflected in the price at most larger retailers, independents however may push it out at a higher cost.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By get2sammyb

Remember that even though Sony have gone cheaper, and Microsoft have gone more expensive, that the XBOX 360 is still cheaper for those parents who are shopping for a "games console" for little Timmy. Sony's price drop will do a lot to convince those people who have been sitting on the fence the past 12 months or so, but it's not going to affect those dropping into a game store and picking up a "console" for their little kid.

Microsoft's move makes sense but I don't think it will affect them too much. No doubt Sony are going to have a better holiday season worldwide this year - is Final Fantasy XIII still coming out in Japan? - but I can still see Microsoft taking the crown certainly in the UK and America.

Of course, the price going up in the UK is just more shit for us British consumers, who are really the ones that are going to lose out in all this. :(

TomTheRealist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TomTheRealist
    @MattyFTM said:

" Nintendo did it to the wii, and the in-store price changed very little. It'll be the same with the 360. "

Can you elaborate more? 
    When was this, what was the price raise; and how soon (if at all) did it recede?
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    @TomTheRealist said:
    " @MattyFTM said:

" Nintendo did it to the wii, and the in-store price changed very little. It'll be the same with the 360. "

Can you elaborate more? When was this, what was the price raise; and how soon (if at all) did it recede? "
    Nintendo raised the official RRP of the wii from £179.99 to £199.99 a few months ago. We never saw an actual price change in shops. Stores have just been taking less profit from the sale of wii's.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.