Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Virtual Reality

Concept »

Games that have you going into a computer generated virtual universe.

Time Unloads Full Clip Into VR's Chances for Mainstream Acceptance

Siman_Shinsafe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Tim(e) and Eric

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Hold on I got this

No Caption Provided

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh hey it's the comment thread that keeps on giving.

Avatar image for deactivated-5de2fca852418
    deactivated-5de2fca852418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jeff g in full effect! great article & comment section.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't understand the reaction to the cover. Aren't you just being the typical overly attached fanboy that can't handle their "thing" not being represented the way they want it ? I mean, if this new VR is actually good who cares about a magazine cover, the proof is in the pudding.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#357  Edited By hassun

@jeff There is an upside to this:

No Caption Provided

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

@mub said:
    @sergio said:

I keep seeing this posted, and it is and isn't from the article. They took a bit of the actual article that is behind a paywall and used it for a different article.

The part cut preceding this:

Palmer Luckey isn’t like other Silicon Valley nerds.

He’s a nerd all right, but not the kind who went to a top-ranked university, wrote brilliant code or studied business plans.

Normal sentences as in not laced with technical jargon that could be confusing - have you ever read some of John Carmack's tweets.

Typical outrage culture where everyone overreacts based on as little information as possible. I'm glad Jenn Frank did the investigative footwork that most game "journalists" didn't bother with and paid to read the rest of the article. Her opinion:

"Outrage culture"

Typical outrage culture, getting angry that people care about something you don't care about.

See how easy that is? And FUN too!

Ungulate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the age of candy colored sunglasses and crocs, superheroes and neo-70's pop hits topping the charts, this cover's aesthetic is the mainstream. It is we in the grimdark attitude nerd counterculture who are repulsed by this image, not the mainstream folks who likely look at this cover with hope and joy.

thatdudeguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did a google search for "time magazine vr" to try to locate the article and this was the first result:

Here are 37 of Our Favorite TIME Virtual Reality Memes

WTF?

1. Approve a terrible, misrepresentative cover photo.
    2. Post a linkbait listicle collecting humorous responses to absurd cover.
    3. Profit.

Stay classy, Time Magazine.

saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

@turambar said:

Palmer Lucky is apparently perfectly fine with the cover.

He very well may be, but if he wasn't, what is gonna say? "Yeah, fuck them how dare they put me on the cover of TIME"?

dovah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#363  Edited By dovah

Palmer Luckey is only 22? How has he done all this, what an amazing guy.

That's what I got from this cover.

Also,"surprising joy" sounds very positive.

Avatar image for disabilityfishy
    DisAbiLityFisHy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

oh no

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

millionthlayla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#366  Edited By millionthlayla

@humanity said:
    @dr_monocle said:
    @cale said:

From the article:

No Caption Provided

Good stuff.

What the fuck...

It's 2015, everyone has a smartphone and almost everyone has at least a laptop - yet people who are into computers are still D&D loving "nerds"

Right? Nerdy stuff is so mainstream now. Tons of people play games, many of which are inspired by Dungeons and Dragons. This is pretty silly.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
    deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

If this were the year of the Doge we would have rainbows and comic-sans to perfectly complement the image.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#368  Edited By Blackout62

I'll just be cold for a bit here. This not a flattering picture of Palmer Luckey. The profile shot, the clothes, the lack of shoes all culminate to make him look like a fat unhealthy nerd unlike any other picture I've seen of him. Look at his cover photo of Popular Mechanics. He looks so cool on that cover. Or Forbes where he looks requisitely evil. This cover is just demeaning.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#369  Edited By golguin

I figure I should drop Palmer Luckey's quote here for all to see. Basically reflects what I originally said in my original comment.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/oculus-rift-creator-responds-to-time-magazine-cove/1100-6429573/

"People have said, 'Oh, this is going to set virtual reality back so far.' I'm like, are you guys really giving that much importance to an old-media cover?" he said. "It's insignificant in the scheme of this massive explosion in virtual reality's popularity. I love the cover; I think it's great."

violet_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mub said:
    @sergio said:

I keep seeing this posted, and it is and isn't from the article. They took a bit of the actual article that is behind a paywall and used it for a different article.

The part cut preceding this:

Palmer Luckey isn’t like other Silicon Valley nerds.

He’s a nerd all right, but not the kind who went to a top-ranked university, wrote brilliant code or studied business plans.

Normal sentences as in not laced with technical jargon that could be confusing - have you ever read some of John Carmack's tweets.

Typical outrage culture where everyone overreacts based on as little information as possible. I'm glad Jenn Frank did the investigative footwork that most game "journalists" didn't bother with and paid to read the rest of the article. Her opinion:

"Outrage culture"

Typical outrage culture, getting angry that people care about something you don't care about.

See how easy that is? And FUN too!

I don't understand what you are trying to say

squidracerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

PR guy where the hell you at?

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree this cover is parody-grade. However, let's not overstate Time magazine's influence on VR's target market.

But the point is that being on the cover of TIME should extend that market. Or at least not make that market look like a bunch of freaks.

Hazelnuttz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw the thumbnail for this article as I scrolled by and thought ah that's a funny mock up! Something the GB guys would gin up. Finally clicked on the article in passing. Oh no. It's real.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

No Caption Provided

Here's my contribution

DedBeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

I'll just be cold for a bit here. This not a flattering picture of Palmer Luckey. The profile shot, the clothes, the lack of shoes all culminate to make him look like a fat unhealthy nerd unlike any other picture I've seen of him. Look at his cover photo of Popular Mechanics. He looks so cool on that cover. Or Forbes where he looks requisitely evil. This cover is just demeaning.

Man, you're not wrong, that popular mechanics cover is pretty great.

1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You mean an entire magazine.

CaptainCoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

All will be well

divergence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman said:

VR is something that never really interested me. Being shut off from the real world to that degree is something that scares me, to be honest. Frankly, I've kind of been rooting for it to fail a little bit because I'm envisioning this future where all games are VR. (I know that's a irrational, silly thing to worry about and there's always gonna be games without VR, even if the technology takes off.) But even I can recognize that this is a disaster. Any normal person that looks at this cover is gonna laugh at it and think it's some nerd bullshit, especially with the common perception that already exists that people are just gonna use this technology to fuck cartoon characters.

I don't think VR is doomed or anything but it's such a hard sell to most people who never get the chance to have a hands-on experience and this will definitely not help.

Remember when 3D TV's were a thing? I think we'll just be piling VR on to the same heap. I can think of some interesting aspects to it (pilot a drone equipped with VR friendly cameras, etc.) but for the most part I could less about VR.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scream if you wanna build a sand castle.

THE_RUCKUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Rest in peace time cover

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin said:

I figure I should drop Palmer Luckey's quote here for all to see. Basically reflects what I originally said in my original comment.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/oculus-rift-creator-responds-to-time-magazine-cove/1100-6429573/

"People have said, 'Oh, this is going to set virtual reality back so far.' I'm like, are you guys really giving that much importance to an old-media cover?" he said. "It's insignificant in the scheme of this massive explosion in virtual reality's popularity. I love the cover; I think it's great."

I'm not saying he's wrong, but remember that Palmer has a very very vested interest in maintaining the line of "everything is going to be fine and VR will be a huge success", no matter what happens.

divergence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#382  Edited By divergence

@sanj said:
    @cale said:

From the article:

No Caption Provided

Good stuff.

What.

what the fuck is this shit. Is the article as bad as the cover? I'm going to float off and continue tuning out of cable television and "mainstream" bs as I have been for the past decade.

cwniles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why is he not floating in the ocean or space or something where that ridiculous pose wouldn't look so awkward? Just replace that damn cheap background with a deep sea motif and bam, fixed.

frustratedlnc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks goofy, but it's not a big deal. Jeff is overreacting.

AngriGhandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#385  Edited By AngriGhandi

I read the full article, and I was surprised it actually does come away displaying a pretty positive and well-informed opinion of the VR experience overall - though you can sense the author almost reminding himself to sound cynical throughout, mostly due to his obvious disdain for video games.

An evenhanded article, overall... but that evenhandedness is pretty hard to appreciate when you have a cover that makes Palmer Luckey, one of the most brilliant people in technology, look like the Star Wars Kid going on a hopscotch quest through manbaby land.

He should probably frame it.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#386  Edited By amafi

@milkman said:

VR is something that never really interested me. Being shut off from the real world to that degree is something that scares me, to be honest. Frankly, I've kind of been rooting for it to fail a little bit because I'm envisioning this future where all games are VR. (I know that's a irrational, silly thing to worry about and there's always gonna be games without VR, even if the technology takes off.) But even I can recognize that this is a disaster. Any normal person that looks at this cover is gonna laugh at it and think it's some nerd bullshit, especially with the common perception that already exists that people are just gonna use this technology to fuck cartoon characters.

I don't think VR is doomed or anything but it's such a hard sell to most people who never get the chance to have a hands-on experience and this will definitely not help.

Remember when 3D TV's were a thing? I think we'll just be piling VR on to the same heap. I can think of some interesting aspects to it (pilot a drone equipped with VR friendly cameras, etc.) but for the most part I could less about VR.

That's the big difference. Good, low latency stereoscopic HMDs has a ton of different use cases. 3D TVs are just more expensive TVs with awful motion smoothing you have to wear dumb glasses for.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yikes at using flip-flops with two fingers, thinking about it... yikes at flip-flops overall

daemonblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thought process after seeing this cover on TIME:

- "Why are they using a kid for the cover? They could have used a picture of Will Smith, like all of the internet."

- "That's Palmer Luckey? Huh..."

- "Stupid cover, but a perfect pose for stupid memes."

The cover was so stupid, it never made me think of VR. For as far as we know, Palmer could have been looking at his Facebook page while getting that photo taken.

reelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Seems like people are more or less looking for problems. Yeah this cover is silly, who cares?

MindChamber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Snarky, close minded, passive aggressive photo,.. i couldnt be bothered to read the article

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@sanj said:
    @cale said:

From the article:

No Caption Provided

Good stuff.

What.

what the fuck is this shit. Is the article as bad as the cover? I'm going to float off and continue tuning out of cable television and "mainstream" bs as I have been for the past decade.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Holy shit.

amirite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#392  Edited By amirite

@divergence: Man you're so crazy if you think VR is in the same boat as 3D TV's. Nobody liked 3D TVs from the beginning as it was being SHOVED down everyone's throats - VR has obtained a following on it's own and if you look at the two products for more that 5 seconds you should realize that the care and craftsmanship going into VR stuff is just leagues ahead of where the 3D TV fad was. VR engineers are sharing their design process and the prices are consumer friendly. Suuuuch a different situation. You don't have to care about VR but come on man; don't exaggerate.

I'm a little miffed by this cover but I'm trying not to take it too hard. It probably is just a blip on the radar (I mean a couple of weeks later now and I barely remembered it). Still, It's severely out of touch, but let's hope that's still for a reason when it comes to Time.

shora_f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slang_n_bang:

same feeling here...

I absolutely hate when all these guys with all their money look like crap in their public appearances. Just go watch Palmer Lucky at any E3 interviews, and he's wearing f**kin flip-flops... Even if you think comfort, I think you can easily buy a $30 pair!!

He deserves all the ridicule imo

ps. Looking like crap is much different than like the time you choose to drive a Prius rather than a sports car

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.