Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Vanquish

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

Take the fight to evil Russian robots using a rocket-powered self-adapting battlesuit in this innovative third-person shooter from Resident Evil creator Shinji Mikami.

Who is Considering Vanquish for their GOTY?

• 51 results
    Duffyside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By Duffyside

I knew I was going to like it, but good gravy davey... It's one of my favorite games of the last decade. Sort of surprised me how much I love it, especially considering it has a handful of nagging issues. But hot damn. It's the only game this year I literally could not put down.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By jkz

Really? Damn. Not that there's anything wrong with it, I just didn't think people loved it.

From the bit I played, I thought it was a pretty fun shooter with some unique elements, but I just stopped playing it because, after a while, I got that "yup, I know what I'm doing here; you want to ask me to do something else yet" feeling from the game.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By csl316

I beat most of the first act and loved it, but i haven't had time to really sit down this week for a good session.

i don't know if it'll be game of the year, but it looks like it'll be one of my favorites from a pure gameplay standpoint (like Red Faction: Guerilla last year, and Bayonetta this year).

EchoForge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By EchoForge

Consider? Yes. Awesome, awesome game.

But GOTY for me was locked up one week into the year--Bayonetta.
    Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Romination

Yeah, I don't think many people are seriously going to consider it, and less are going to actually choose it, though it's fucking awesome. It wins on a 'wow-ee!' factor rather than a 'does it push games'

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Shadow
    @EchoForge said:
    " Consider? Yes. Awesome, awesome game. But GOTY for me was locked up one week into the year--Bayonetta. "
    yup
    VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By VanderSEXXX

yes im considering it. Havent had this much fun playing a console game in a very long time since games like Ninja Gaiden where I'll give it another playthrough again and again not to mention the unlockable challenge modes similar to RE4's Mercenaries that made me still play the game again and again. :D

Duffyside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Duffyside
    @csl316 said:
    " I beat most of the first act and loved it, but i haven't had time to really sit down this week for a good session.  i don't know if it'll be game of the year, but it looks like it'll be one of my favorites from a pure gameplay standpoint (like Red Faction: Guerilla last year, and Bayonetta this year). "
    You sir have great taste. Red Faction was my favorite game of last year until Uncharted came through, and Bayonetta this year until Vanquish. Yes, that makes Platinum my new favorite developer. 

Suck it, DICE!
    benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By benpack

Why anyone wouldn't vote for Mass Effect 2 confuses and scares me. 

Anyway, I liked Vanquish a lot. Will it be in my top 10? Sure. Wait... did I play more than 10 games this year...?

Duffyside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Duffyside
    @VanderSEXXX said:
    " yes im considering it. Havent had this much fun playing a console game in a very long time since games like Ninja Gaiden where I'll give it another playthrough again and again not to mention the unlockable challenge modes similar to RE4's Mercenaries that made me still play the game again and again. :D "
    Ninja Gaiden is one of the best examples I could think of to compare this game too. That's the sort of kick-your-ass, but-fuck-if-it-isn't-incredibly-satisfying game this is on the Harder difficulties and in the Challenge Modes. I know it won't win game of the year maybe anywhere because some people hate that sort of challenge. But it makes you feel like such a bad-ass when it all finally clicks. 

The other fine example I heard this game compared to (over on GAF) - aside from old-school arcade shooters - was Mirror's Edge. Mirror's Edge, for me, was ok at first, then I liked it as I learned how to play it. Then, when it all finally sank in and I started doing Speed Runs? *droooool*
    themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By themangalist

Well if Spartan: Total Warrior is one of my favourite games of all time, I'm sure there are people out there who thinks Vanquish is for them as well. Personally, I haven't laid hands on the thing, but from what i've heard, sounds just as satisfying as STW was to me. That game had me playing the campaign no under than 30 times.

lavaman77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lavaman77

People consider Vanquish Good?
     People consider Vanquish Good?
    Seriously though? Vanquish has fun gameplay but everything about it is as plain as it gets, the overly dramatic cutscenes are very Japanese (Translation: Stupid). it can no way stand up up to RDR, Alan Wake,Mass Effect 2, Castlevania,etc...
    Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan
         Seriously though? Vanquish has fun gameplay but everything about it is as plain as it gets, the overly dramatic cutscenes are very Japanese (Translation: Stupid). it can no way stand up up to RDR, Alan Wake,Mass Effect 2, Castlevania,etc... "
    Uh oh, that was kind of dumb to say. I'm going to join in on the Bayonetta love in here and also say it's the front-runner for my GotY as well. Vanquish is going be the last game I get from Gamefly for a while and if it's got that Bayonetta level of style and character, it's also going to be one of my favorites this year.
    lavaman77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By lavaman77
    @OwnlyUzinWonHan said:

"

Seriously though? Vanquish has fun gameplay but everything about it is as plain as it gets, the overly dramatic cutscenes are very Japanese (Translation: Stupid). it can no way stand up up to RDR, Alan Wake,Mass Effect 2, Castlevania,etc... "
    Uh oh, that was kind of dumb to say. I'm going to join in on the Bayonetta love in here and also say it's the front-runner for my GotY as well. Vanquish is going be the last game I get from Gamefly for a while and if it's got that Bayonetta level of style and character, it's also going to be one of my favorites this year. "
    Elaborate on how that was "dumb" to say. 

All the cutscenes in Vanquish have some VERY cheesy one-liners and Puns that you normally only see on Cartoon Network along with very annoying and bad writing that make you want to kill all the characters in the game. it's why im glade a lot of japanese franchises are in the hands of western developers since they seem to be the only one that can make cutscenes that aren't for 12-year-olds and retards. 

Maybe you find it fine or normal but i find it very stupid considering i am not a child.  there is not excuse for that kind of writing in a M17+ rated title.
    owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By owl_of_minerva
    @lavaman77:  Different cultural context, different writing style. It's a very stupid thing to say, given that it should be obvious. Is Xenogears for 12yos and retards? If Vanquish has a bad story then it's the fault of that specific game, not the whole industry....
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan
    @lavaman77:  It's stupid to say all Japanese writing is stupid, it's as if I said "Halo 2's story was awful, JUST LIKE ALL WESTERN GAMES". It's a huge generalization and as is the case with most generalizations, it's pretty dumb to say.
    Duffyside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Duffyside
    @lavaman77 said:

" @OwnlyUzinWonHan said:

"

Uh oh, that was kind of dumb to say. I'm going to join in on the Bayonetta love in here and also say it's the front-runner for my GotY as well. Vanquish is going be the last game I get from Gamefly for a while and if it's got that Bayonetta level of style and character, it's also going to be one of my favorites this year. "
    Elaborate on how that was "dumb" to say.    All the cutscenes in Vanquish have some VERY cheesy one-liners and Puns that you normally only see on Cartoon Network along with very annoying and bad writing that make you want to kill all the characters in the game. it's why im glade a lot of japanese franchises are in the hands of western developers since they seem to be the only one that can make cutscenes that aren't for 12-year-olds and retards.   Maybe you find it fine or normal but i find it very stupid considering i am not a child.  there is not excuse for that kind of writing in a M17+ rated title. "
    Well, it was dumb because it's actually more Western than Japanese. The whole point is for it to be sort of making fun of Western action movies. That's not just me defending the game because I love it. Here's the quote from one of the writers (not Japanese, by the way): 

It’s got that great G.I. Joe sense of good guys taking on bad guys, which plays directly into the style of dialogue we were going for in Vanquish. In essence, Vanquish is tinged with parody, but not the point of being overt. I read a review that said, “It’s hard to tell whether it is taking the piss or not, which in itself may well be the intention.” Many of the dialogue lines in Vanquish are way over-the-top, but then again, you are talking about a group of super-powered space marines attacking a colony the size of a small city in space. I think it would be incredibly strange if they played things overly straight faced, so why not have fun with things? Why not make the characters aware of not only the ridiculousness of the situation, but also the varied cultural influences that lead to the creation of a game like Vanquish. My intent, at least with the English script, was not fan service, but rather making sure the game never forgets what it is – a game. There are plenty of companies working towards the serious. We never forget we are making games. I love that. As that same review said, “We weren’t sure if we were laughing at it, or with it, but we were definitely laughing.” Perfect.     

I'd say, considering you didn't get that it was a bit of a parody, they nailed what they were going for. 

Moreover, saying that it's just Japanese developers who deliver shit writing is laughable. Vanquish completely embarrasses Gears of War. Or would if Gears wasn't already an embarrassment in that department. 

However, writing is not everything when it comes to a game's quality. Gears has shit writing, but is still considered a great game by many. If I were to list Vanquish's best features, I wouldn't list writing or story, even though it did make me laugh a few times, and I did think some things were cool. I'd talk about mechanics, gameplay variety, character animations (good... GRAVY...), enemy types and variety, boss fights, music and sound (...DAVEY), setting, and challenge (you don't have what it takes, my friend). ^_^ 

"Everything about it is as plain as it gets." 

... Oh. You're trolling then? Because that's the most ludicrous thing ever said on the internet ever. Vanquish is the least plain third person shooter ever. That's its entire schtick! What's with you, man?
    lavaman77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By lavaman77

@owl_of_minerva said:

" @lavaman77:  Different cultural context, different writing style. It's a very stupid thing to say, given that it should be obvious. Is Xenogears for 12yos and retards? If Vanquish has a bad story then it's the fault of that specific game, not the whole industry.... "

Different cultural context or not the writing is god damn awful in English.  i didn't say Vanquish has a bad story, i said the characters and every line they spit out is very awful and cheesy.
      @OwnlyUzinWonHan said:

" @lavaman77:  It's stupid to say all Japanese writing is stupid, it's as if I said "Halo 2's story was awful, JUST LIKE ALL WESTERN GAMES". It's a huge generalization and as is the case with most generalizations, it's pretty dumb to say. "

That's the thing though, it's hard to find a japanese talk show,game,film, where the characters or people don't gasp or start getting excited like kids.

Im used to mature writing, there is no excuse for Childish and Pun-filled writing in this day and age japanese or not.  the characters in Vanquish are awful and shallow and that's not a shocker from a Japanese developer. Bayonetta seems to be the only japanese game this year that doesn't have the cheesy writing (Well it does have Puns but the game is a DMC successor, Dante was loved for his Puns and sarcastic jokes so it would be odd for the DMC creator to make such a sassy looking character not say anything annoying to the monsters.).
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan
    @lavaman77: Let's talk about this in messages so we don't kill this thread
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @GlenTennis said:
    " Why anyone wouldn't vote for Mass Effect 2 confuses and scares me.    "

1. I tried. i tried so hard to play Mass Effect. to keep going for more than 2 hours without feeling absolutely bored and lost in the black hole of a universe that Bioware created in that game. it's like, its a VIDEO GAME, yet its so complicated in a way that.. it feels impossible to access. theres a complete fucking history written for it's story, walls of text about the politics and shit, so many other details that make it feel like a chore or an essay. 
    I honestly do not understand how people can actually enjoy such deep and complex games, and keep pushing forward. :( i wish i did, but all it is for me is one big mindfuck

2. Red Dead Redemption
    lavaman77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By lavaman77
    @Duffyside said:

" @lavaman77 said:

" @OwnlyUzinWonHan said:

"

Elaborate on how that was "dumb" to say.    All the cutscenes in Vanquish have some VERY cheesy one-liners and Puns that you normally only see on Cartoon Network along with very annoying and bad writing that make you want to kill all the characters in the game. it's why im glade a lot of japanese franchises are in the hands of western developers since they seem to be the only one that can make cutscenes that aren't for 12-year-olds and retards.   Maybe you find it fine or normal but i find it very stupid considering i am not a child.  there is not excuse for that kind of writing in a M17+ rated title. "
    Well, it was dumb because it's actually more Western than Japanese. The whole point is for it to be sort of making fun of Western action movies. That's not just me defending the game because I love it. Here's the quote from one of the writers (not Japanese, by the way): 

It’s got that great G.I. Joe sense of good guys taking on bad guys, which plays directly into the style of dialogue we were going for in Vanquish. In essence, Vanquish is tinged with parody, but not the point of being overt. I read a review that said, “It’s hard to tell whether it is taking the piss or not, which in itself may well be the intention.” Many of the dialogue lines in Vanquish are way over-the-top, but then again, you are talking about a group of super-powered space marines attacking a colony the size of a small city in space. I think it would be incredibly strange if they played things overly straight faced, so why not have fun with things? Why not make the characters aware of not only the ridiculousness of the situation, but also the varied cultural influences that lead to the creation of a game like Vanquish. My intent, at least with the English script, was not fan service, but rather making sure the game never forgets what it is – a game. There are plenty of companies working towards the serious. We never forget we are making games. I love that. As that same review said, “We weren’t sure if we were laughing at it, or with it, but we were definitely laughing.” Perfect.      I'd say, considering you didn't get that it was a bit of a parody, they nailed what they were going for.  Moreover, saying that it's just Japanese developers who deliver shit writing is laughable. Vanquish completely embarrasses Gears of War. Or would if Gears wasn't already an embarrassment in that department.  However, writing is not everything when it comes to a game's quality. Gears has shit writing, but is still considered a great game by many. If I were to list Vanquish's best features, I wouldn't list writing or story, even though it did make me laugh a few times, and I did think some things were cool. I'd talk about mechanics, gameplay variety, character animations (good... GRAVY...), enemy types and variety, boss fights, music and sound (...DAVEY), setting, and challenge (you don't have what it takes, my friend). ^_^  "Everything about it is as plain as it gets."  ... Oh. You're trolling then? Because that's the most ludicrous thing ever said on the internet ever. Vanquish is the least plain third person shooter ever. That's its entire schtick! What's with you, man? "
    Alright, can you name me one object that wasn't white or bright gold through out the whole game?

Didn't think so, and having a opinion isn't trolling. just because YOU don't  find the game plain doesn't mean it's a fact.
    mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mylifeforAiur

Mass Effect 2, bitches!.........And Bayonetta closely behind^^

Duffyside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Duffyside
    @lavaman77 said: 
    Alright, can you name me one object that wasn't white or bright gold through out the whole game?"
    Ah, so you only played the demo? That wouldn't make much sense though, because that was filled with the most basic enemy type, which is bright red! The slightly upgraded version that hovers around is blue. Snipers are sort of a greenish, but not really one color.

The Romanovs and Scorpions are also more complicated than just one color, but I'd say they're more of a shimmering steel like color. When the bots explode it's either a bluish/purple mist or a bright orange explosion.

Act 1 Level 5 puts you in a night time sort of level. Act 4 puts you in a park-type place (parks are sort of green, by the way, in case you're color blind). Act 3 starts at sort of the red light district of the station. There's a zero gravity level... 

Didn't think very hard on this question, did you? It's clear you haven't even played the game but only glanced at a trailer. It's ok, we all make mistakes.
    OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By OllyOxenFree

I actually liked Bayonetta a lot more than Vanquish. Vanquish was OK but just not as memorable as Bayonetta.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By xyzygy

I can't effing wait to play this game. As of right now my GOTY stands between Alan Wake and Castlevania. Don't get me wrong, Bayonetta, Mass Effect 2 and Red Dead Redemption were awesome, but not as awesome as either AW and LoS. Both of these games are top notch gaming with such satisfying, tight mechanics and gameplay. I can't get enough of jumping over enemies and whipping their backsides in LoS and Alan Wake is one of the few games I love to play over and over and over because the presentation is just so damn good.

lavaman77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By lavaman77
    @Duffyside said:

" @lavaman77 said: 

Alright, can you name me one object that wasn't white or bright gold through out the whole game?"
    Ah, so you only played the demo? That wouldn't make much sense though, because that was filled with the most basic enemy type, which is bright red! The slightly upgraded version that hovers around is blue. Snipers are sort of a greenish, but not really one color. The Romanovs and Scorpions are also more complicated than just one color, but I'd say they're more of a shimmering steel like color. When the bots explode it's either a bluish/purple mist or a bright orange explosion. Act 1 Level 5 puts you in a night time sort of level. Act 4 puts you in a park-type place (parks are sort of green, by the way, in case you're color blind). Act 3 starts at sort of the red light district of the station. There's a zero gravity level...  Didn't think very hard on this question, did you? It's clear you haven't even played the game but only glanced at a trailer. It's ok, we all make mistakes. "
    I have the full game and im on the third level at the moment. my eyes are tired of White, something tells me that White will be the new grey in a few years.

There is a line that designers and artists should never cross, which is to NEVER repeat the same color more than once on just one screen. 
    Anyway, the thing that bothers me the most is the writing and the characters.
    Duffyside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Duffyside
    @CaLe said:
    " Vanquish is a game that if I could choose to show a game to people 15 years ago, this would be it. I think it would blow minds more than any other game I could show because it's simply so amazing looking aesthetically and stylistically. Saying that, it can't beat Mass Effect 2 or Red Dead for me. Those 2 games were just a step above imo. "
    I had just started playing Red Dead before I got Vanquish. Played Red Dead for about 7 hours I think. I... I'm not getting it. I know people said it starts off slow, but I figured that meant an hour or two. I'll go back to it, but as of right now I don't see what all the hype is about.
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
    @lavaman77 said:
    " @Duffyside said:

" @lavaman77 said: 

Ah, so you only played the demo? That wouldn't make much sense though, because that was filled with the most basic enemy type, which is bright red! The slightly upgraded version that hovers around is blue. Snipers are sort of a greenish, but not really one color. The Romanovs and Scorpions are also more complicated than just one color, but I'd say they're more of a shimmering steel like color. When the bots explode it's either a bluish/purple mist or a bright orange explosion. Act 1 Level 5 puts you in a night time sort of level. Act 4 puts you in a park-type place (parks are sort of green, by the way, in case you're color blind). Act 3 starts at sort of the red light district of the station. There's a zero gravity level...  Didn't think very hard on this question, did you? It's clear you haven't even played the game but only glanced at a trailer. It's ok, we all make mistakes. "
    I have the full game and im on the third level at the moment. my eyes are tired of White, something tells me that White will be the new grey in a few years.  There is a line that designers and artists should never cross, which is to NEVER repeat the same color more than once on just one screen.  Anyway, the thing that bothers me the most is the writing and the characters. "
    I'm not going to tell you that you should like this game, but if the writing and characters bother you so much, you've definitely missed the point entirely. 
    Also, NEVER repeat the same color on just one screen? What world do you live in? That's kind of a weird rule that you just seemed to make up.
    lavaman77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By lavaman77
    @PrivateIronTFU said:

" @lavaman77 said:

" @Duffyside said:

" @lavaman77 said: 

I have the full game and im on the third level at the moment. my eyes are tired of White, something tells me that White will be the new grey in a few years.  There is a line that designers and artists should never cross, which is to NEVER repeat the same color more than once on just one screen.  Anyway, the thing that bothers me the most is the writing and the characters. "
    I'm not going to tell you that you should like this game, but if the writing and characters bother you so much, you've definitely missed the point entirely.  Also, NEVER repeat the same color on just one screen? What world do you live in? That's kind of a weird rule that you just seemed to make up. "

Having too much of one color on the screen does ruin the art/graphic style. is it wrong that i expect a PG game to be as high quality as Bayonetta in terms of writing/story/characters? you guys say im trolling/blind but other than the gameplay this game is a crook of shit. if the story and the characters were meant to be a joke, guess what? no one is laughing.
    Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Raymayne

Nobody anywhere in the world except you.

DallasTheGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By DallasTheGamer

Vanquish is amazing but it's not my GOTY. My GOTY is Bayonetta so far if nothing else pops up and takes her place. :O

Turkfinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Turkfinn

Vanquish is a pretty solid title that has been tons of fun to play so far.  It's not GOTY for me personally, but that doesn't mean too much honestly.  Game is fun as all hell to play and hopefully it gets even better as i plow through it this weekend.  It reminds me a little bit of Darksiders in the sense that certain people are like meh, seen this done that, where as other people like me absolutely adored the title and loved it.

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By babblinmule

I still don't understand how people can love Bayonetta so much (and this is coming from a guy who was practically addicted to Ninja Gaiden Black years back). Something just seemed.... missing from the whole experience. Hopefully I'll get to play Vanquish before the year is up though as the demo was insanely good.

Although it would have to be insanely, insanely good for it to top Mass Effect 2 for my GotY - the only thing that looks to even come close to giving it a run for its money is the upcoming Assassins Creed : Brotherhood.

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#34  Edited By XenoNick

Vanquish is an amazing game without a doubt (Only halfway through ACT 3 but has been my favourite game since Reach.) GOTY contender however it isn't.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Oldirtybearon

Vanquish had a neat idea, and I can get behind the whole over the top silly nature they're going for, but at the end of the day this is a decent game and nothing more. The shooting feels like I'm hitting enemies with BB guns and there are serious gameplay flaws that make me scratch my head. Such as how everything, no matter how minute, depletes your heat meter. If you like the game, good on you, but if anyone is considering Vanquish for GOTY they haven't played many games this year.

Blind_Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#36  Edited By Blind_Evil

It's definitely in my top ten, maybe in my top five.  Not my number one, no way.  That honor, barring some serious change in my mindset, belongs to Monster Hunter Tri.  

I wouldn't normally have decided this early, but the only three big releases left I can think of are AC2: Brotherhood, CoD Black Ops, and Donkey Kong Country Returns.  I don't know if I'll be buying any of those. 

And for the record, ME2 and RDR will not be on my GOTY list.  I beat ME2 and it's good, but too patterned to be truly standout.  RDR I lost interest in after 4 hours. 

People have differing tastes, who knew?

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#37  Edited By Icemael

Not me. If it had come out last year, sure, but with Mario Galaxy 2 and Bayonetta coming out this year... no. Sorry. I can't.

@lavaman77 said:

" Vanquish has fun gameplay but everything about it is as plain as it gets, the overly dramatic cutscenes are very Japanese (Translation: Stupid). it can no way stand up up to RDR, Alan Wake,Mass Effect 2, Castlevania,etc... "
    I can't say anything about Red Dead Redemption, but the others...  Alan Wake is very atmospheric, but the combat is mediocre as fuck. Mass Effect 2 has even more mediocre combat. And Castlevania has camera and framerate issues. Those are all fairly serious problems.

Vanquish, on the other hand, has easily the best combat I've ever seen in a cover shooter, a great camera, and a silky smooth framerate. When the only real criticism against a video game is that the cutscenes are stupid -- probably the least serious problem a game can have -- you know it's something real special.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#38  Edited By FancySoapsMan
    @Ahmad_Metallic:  Mass Effect 2 isn't all that deep or complex. But it is boring.

At the moment, I think New Vegas will probably get my GOTY vote. Though I haven't played Vanquish yet.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#39  Edited By Diamond
    @GlenTennis said:
    Why anyone wouldn't vote for Mass Effect 2 confuses and scares me.
    Personally I wasn't fully entertained for 100% of that game, there was a lot of major down time IMO.
    owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By owl_of_minerva
    ME2 is shallow - ok action meets minimal RPG elements and some really poor design choices. There's no way it should be chosen over SMG2, Bayonetta, or even Vanquish. I'd take Kirby over ME2.
    sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#41  Edited By sixpin

Mass Effect 2 is a great choice for GOTY. And if it wasn't so buggy I'd say that Fallout New Vegas would be a good contender. However, I have to go with Red Dead Redemption. 

I'm surprised at how many people are saying Bayonetta is there GOTY. I bought it, but I've never got around to finishing it. I checked it out at a friend's house and felt like it was something I could put off for a while. Maybe I should invest a Saturday morning.

Duffyside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Duffyside
    @lavaman77 said:
    if the story and the characters were meant to be a joke, guess what? no one is laughing. "
    Now that's just not true. Plenty of us are laughing. Don't lie or project your opinion on everyone else to try and justify your opinion. Ok, I get it, you don't love the game. Moving on... 

@KingWilly said:
    if anyone is considering Vanquish for GOTY they haven't played many games this year. "
    Heh, almost the same situation as above, isn't it? Galaxy 2, Starcraft 2, Heavy Rain, God of War, Darksiders, Bayonetta, Medal of Honor, Bioshock 2, Castlevania, Red Dead, M- y'know what, I could list about 25 more, but why bother? Anyone who makes an argument like that clearly doesn't want to listen.
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#43  Edited By GunstarRed

No, too many other, better games this year but it  has definately gotten a place in my top 10. The game really shows it's strengths on  repeat playthroughs and how differently you can play the game.  It aint no Bayonetta but it is easily one of the most fun experiences I have had with a game all year.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#44  Edited By jakob187
    @EchoForge said:
    " Consider? Yes. Awesome, awesome game. But GOTY for me was locked up one week into the year--Bayonetta. "
    This man speaks the truth.  Bayonetta still hasn't been usurped for me, even with Fallout New Vegas and Super Meat Boy out.  Bayonetta was goddamn flawless. 

I really really really really really really wanna play Vanquish.
    Duffyside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Duffyside

I am encouraged for humanity with the amount of Bayonetta love I've seen lately. That and Vanquish in the same year from one developer? It's insanity.

Maclintok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#46  Edited By Maclintok

BioWare already stripped Mass Effect 2 to the barest essence of what's typically expected of a computer RPG.  Some people hated the simplicity.  That said, the main draw for ME2 is the story and the character relationships although I thought the updated combat system was pretty sweet.   

It's almost November but ME2 is still the overall GOTY front-runner in my book.  Vanquish should get serious consideration for Action or Shooter GOTY.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#47  Edited By captain_clayman

it's probably gonna be my GOTY for best rental game, runner up is enslaved.

HereAllDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By HereAllDay

I haven't played it yet but Kevin Van Ord said on The Hotspot that it's his favorite game of the year, so there's another one.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By amir90

I had a really good time with this, but GOTY, not for me :)
    I actually liked bayonetta better.

jellysnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By jellysnake

It wont be #1 but it's going on my list.  Incredible gameplay, beautifully cheesy "so bad it's good" dialogue.  I'm not a huge multiplayer guy so wasn't pining for any of that and I didn't find the single player length too short.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.