Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Vanquish

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

Take the fight to evil Russian robots using a rocket-powered self-adapting battlesuit in this innovative third-person shooter from Resident Evil creator Shinji Mikami.

An impulse buy...

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I've got like 15 bucks to burn, and I saw this puppy on Play.com within my budget. Drool

2 Problems:  

1. I've heard it's pretty short, and while that isn't necessarily a bad thing, I like my games to run me at least 15 hours. Given the genre, though, this might not be such a bad thing. 

2. I am an on again/off again SSF4 addict and I've got the taste once more. My disc is at home, though, and I won't be back for a while. For £5 cheaper I can pick up another copy to tide me over. 

Am I being a fool? I'm so close to buying SF for, like, the fourth fucking time, but I really want to play this game... 

Help! x

Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Bombs_Away

First of all, yes, you're a fool.

Second of all, buy Vanquish now, then tell me what you're addicted too! If you liked Bayonetta, you're in for a treat.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By MikkaQ

It won't be as long as you want, but it doesn't matter. Length of games aren't a good way of measuring quality. If it's 15 bucks get it. It's awesome and crazy and in your face.   

Plus MvC3 is coming out soon, literally no reason to play any other fighting game after that drops, right? Man I'm too giddy for that game.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Chop

I was complaining about the length before I got it but it's actually a good thing. Vanquish is done before it overstays its welcome; any longer and I would have ended up being frustrated and annoyed with it. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Bombs_Away said:
    " First of all, yes, you're a fool. Second of all, buy Vanquish now, then tell me what you're addicted too! If you liked Bayonetta, you're in for a treat. "  
     I wasn't too keen on Bayonetta, but I don't feel like I've given it the shot it deserves. Maybe...

@XII_Sniper
    said:
    " It won't be as long as you want, but it doesn't matter. Length of games aren't a good way of measuring quality. If it's 15 bucks get it. It's awesome and crazy and in your face. Plus MvC3 is coming out soon, literally no reason to play any other fighting game after that drops, right? Man I'm too giddy for that game. "
    Haha, yeah, dude, MvC3 is going to blow the shit out of the fighting scene. I am madly in love with SSF4, though, Vanquish does look fucking crazy... 

I'll give it till tomorrow to decide.
    Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bombs_Away
    @GetEveryone: You...You...You don't like Bayonetta? Urgh...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Bombs_Away said:
    " @GetEveryone: You...You...You don't like Bayonetta? Urgh... "
    Now, now. I never said I don't like it. It plays really nicely, and it looks lovely, too. There's just something a bit repulsive about the whole thing. A complete lack of story, being batshit-crazy for the sake of being batshit-crazy... I'm not overly fond of the genre. 

Still, I'll play through the rest and re-evaluate then.
    swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By swamplord666

I finished it recently and i finished it in 2-3 sittings. However short it may be, it is awesome in so many ways! I'm planning on going back because each chapter and subchapter is scored a bit like bayonetta.  
    You'd be crazy not to get it

Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bombs_Away
    @GetEveryone said:
    " @Bombs_Away said:
    " @GetEveryone: You...You...You don't like Bayonetta? Urgh... "
    Now, now. I never said I don't like it. It plays really nicely, and it looks lovely, too. There's just something a bit repulsive about the whole thing. A complete lack of story, being batshit-crazy for the sake of being batshit-crazy... I'm not overly fond of the genre.  Still, I'll play through the rest and re-evaluate then. "

But what's wrong with it? :p
    WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By WickedCestus

Vanquish is probably my favourite game from last year. I didn't like Bayonetta either, but Vanquish is its own beast. It is fantastic, and you should buy it, especially for that price.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#11  Edited By Icemael

I've got three things to say:

1. Buy Vanquish.
    2. Play it on Hard. It lasted me a good 8 hours on that difficulty setting, and the challenge was just right. From what I've seen and heard, Normal is too easy, and as such doesn't really do the game justice (it's hard to fully appreciate the amazing controls, enemy designs, weapon designs and so on when you have no reason to push the systems to their limits -- God Hard is really the ideal setting to play it on, but that's locked until you've beaten the game once, and for good reason).
    3. In those 8 hours I got more action than in most 10-15 hour shooters. The game is short not because of a lack of content, but because 1) it's way faster and more intense than almost everything else in the genre, and 2) there's absolutely no filler.
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Spoonman671

Rocket legs.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Spoonman671:  @Icemael: You've both convinced me to buy it. Rocket legs cemented the deal. 

Bought for 13.99. Free delivery. Sha-mone!
    l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By l4wd0g

I think the length of the game varies greatly depending on the difficulty. Hard on Vanquish is no joke, but you can fly through the game in about six hours on very easy.

It was my 2010 Game of the Year

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By l4wd0g
    @Icemael
    I've got three things to say:

1. Buy Vanquish.
    2. Play it on Hard. It lasted me a good 8 hours on that difficulty setting, and the challenge was just right. From what I've seen and heard, Normal is too easy, and as such doesn't really do the game justice (it's hard to fully appreciate the amazing controls, enemy designs, weapon designs and so on when you have no reason to push the systems to their limits -- God Hard is really the ideal setting to play it on, but that's locked until you've beaten the game once, and for good reason).
    3. In those 8 hours I got more action than in most 10-15 hour shooters. The game is short not because of a lack of content, but because 1) it's way faster and more intense than almost everything else in the genre, and 2) there's absolutely no filler.
    The moments in Vanquish were absolutely incredible.
    Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Chop
    @Icemael said:
    " I've got three things to say:

1. Buy Vanquish.
    "

I couldn't disagree more with 2. On anything higher then normal you won't be able to pull off all the crazy shit you want to. You will probably  never have a use for cover leaping slow mo or launching off of faces.  

Play it on normal. 
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#17  Edited By Icemael
    @Chop said:

" @Icemael said:

" I've got three things to say:

1. Buy Vanquish.
    "
    I couldn't disagree more with 2. On anything higher then normal you won't be able to pull off all the crazy shit you want to. You will probably never have a use for cover leaping slow mo or launching off of faces. Play it on normal. "
    Have you actually played it on the higher difficulties? The harder the game gets, the more useful moves like the slow-motion cover vaulting become.
    buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By buzz_clik

Vanquish > Bayonetta, for my money. I've finished Vanquish multiple times, plus the Challenge levels add more excellent value for money than you'd think. On the whole, it's such a slab of pure non-stop action and entertainment that the length of the game doesn't really factor into it. 

@l4wd0g said:

" I think the length of the game varies greatly depending on the difficulty. Hard on Vanquish is no joke, but you can fly through the game in about six hours on very easy. It was my 2010 Game of the Year "
    Hard is fine, but Insane is... well, y'know. I honestly found the Insane difficulty level too much after a while, and have had to take a break from it because it was doing my head in.

And Vanquish was my game of the year, until my boss decided to lend me his copy of Read Dead Redemption at the end of 2010.
    02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By 02sfraser

Vanquish is a really fun game which had me going back for a couple of playthroughs on different difficulties.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.