Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Valis II

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jun 23, 1989

A side scrolling action game, featuring a female protagonist and several animated cut scenes in the CD-ROM format. Developed by Telenet and published by NEC in America in 1990. As is the case with other installments in the series, there are marked differences between some versions.

Octurbo: Valis II

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

Edited By Mento  Moderator
    No Caption Provided

If Bonk is the mascot for the HuCard era TurboGrafx-16, then Yuko of the Valis series may well be the CD equivalent. Developed by Telenet Japan, which would become one of the more prolific developers working on the TurboGrafx-CD via their CD-focused subsidiary LaserSoft, the first Valis game was originally released in 1986 for various Japanese home computers. It took a genre of anime that was known as "magical girl", established largely by mega-popular animes like Sailor Moon, and adapted the format into an action game, presenting the tale of an everyday student named Yuko who is forced to take up the titular magical Sword of Valis and fight supernatural monsters before whisked to a dreamlike world named Vecanti to combat the King commanding the beasts, Rogles (pronounced "rogueless"). Though the game itself was fairly basic (and, well, bad) the focus on scantily-clad heroines fighting monsters with a narrative told via anime-style cutscenes was fairly novel for 1986 and helped endear Valis to a generation of Japanese gamers. Valis was eventually ported to the PC Engine, and its sequels would all find a home on the PC Engine CD-ROM2. Two of them even eventually make their way over to the American TurboGrafx-CD: Valis II and Valis III. I'll be playing the former today.

Valis II is one of the earliest CD-ROM games and, unlike Fighting Street (which was a mediocre port of an already mediocre Arcade game) or No.Ri.Ko (which was barely a video game), is a fully-fledged action game specifically created for the PC Engine CD-ROM2 console. It continues right where the first game ended, dropping Yuko into another conflict on Vecanti brought about due to the power vacuum left after slaying Rogles, instigated by Rogles' older brother Megas. What's odd is that Valis II is actually one of two games with that name: The other was released shortly afterwards on the many Japanese home computers that carried the original. It's hard to say which one is "canonical", as Telenet sourced out both games to separate subsidiaries, but most tend to go with the TurboGrafx-CD version because it came first.

Man, that's one heck of a history lesson. Really, Valis II is a game where you're a schoolgirl in a Wonder Woman outfit hitting giant monsters and weird cybernetic Dragon Ball Z rejects with a sword until they explode. I didn't mean to make it sound any more high-brow than that.

Is the Plural of Valis, Valii? Would That Make Valis' Numerous Heroines "Valii Girls"?

Ah, at last: An anime portrait that accurately depicts who I am, where I'm from, and my passing interest in falconry.
    Ah, at last: An anime portrait that accurately depicts who I am, where I'm from, and my passing interest in falconry.
    Valis II starts with the climactic duel between Yuko (blue-hair) and Reiko (purple-hair) near the end of the first game. Actually, I think it might just be a flashback. Or a dream. Look, they haven't told me much yet.
    Valis II starts with the climactic duel between Yuko (blue-hair) and Reiko (purple-hair) near the end of the first game. Actually, I think it might just be a flashback. Or a dream. Look, they haven't told me much yet.
    Reiko bites it, but she was mind-controlled into being evil so it's very sad.
    Reiko bites it, but she was mind-controlled into being evil so it's very sad.
    And this guy suddenly shows up from behind some rubble. You mind, fellah? I'm trying to have a moment with my dead friend here.
    And this guy suddenly shows up from behind some rubble. You mind, fellah? I'm trying to have a moment with my dead friend here.
    It's Megas! Or maybe Starscream? Or anime cyberpunk Tutankhamun?
    It's Megas! Or maybe Starscream? Or anime cyberpunk Tutankhamun?
    Welcome to Valis II! Already the anime inscrutability factor is way up there.
    Welcome to Valis II! Already the anime inscrutability factor is way up there.
    Yuko, who has returned to the real world (that's what she calls it, seems kind of dismissive of Vecanti to me), is beset by monsters looking for her Sword of Valis. Maybe she should've stashed that in a rock or something, like Link.
    Yuko, who has returned to the real world (that's what she calls it, seems kind of dismissive of Vecanti to me), is beset by monsters looking for her Sword of Valis. Maybe she should've stashed that in a rock or something, like Link.
    The monster general guy in charge of the invasion actually explains to his minions that they're all pretty much boned trying to fight the slayer of their former king, but apparently needs must. Their expert strategy is to march single file directly into the sword's deadly magic missiles. Maybe they think Yuko will tire herself out?
    The monster general guy in charge of the invasion actually explains to his minions that they're all pretty much boned trying to fight the slayer of their former king, but apparently needs must. Their expert strategy is to march single file directly into the sword's deadly magic missiles. Maybe they think Yuko will tire herself out?
    It hasn't gone well for the first dozen or so guys, but maybe the situation will improve for the next identical goon.
    It hasn't gone well for the first dozen or so guys, but maybe the situation will improve for the next identical goon.
    Enemies frequently drop these crystals behind. I'm not sure what they do, precisely. Maybe they're just points? This game does have those for some reason.
    Enemies frequently drop these crystals behind. I'm not sure what they do, precisely. Maybe they're just points? This game does have those for some reason.
    This blue guy (who looks like a background character from Beast Wars) is a little tougher than the rest. It's almost impossible to jump over him with Yuko's pathetic hop, so I just sat in a corner swinging and hoping for the best. Tactics!
    This blue guy (who looks like a background character from Beast Wars) is a little tougher than the rest. It's almost impossible to jump over him with Yuko's pathetic hop, so I just sat in a corner swinging and hoping for the best. Tactics!
    There are two types of power-up in this game. This is an example of the consumable kind, which can be activated whenever needed (or is just used accidentally, since it only requires you press Up to activate them). This particular one creates blue orbs that whirl around Yuko, giving her some extra defense.
    There are two types of power-up in this game. This is an example of the consumable kind, which can be activated whenever needed (or is just used accidentally, since it only requires you press Up to activate them). This particular one creates blue orbs that whirl around Yuko, giving her some extra defense.
    Here's the other kind of power-up. These just change how my sword's bullets (that's a dumb phrase) behave and are permanent, at least until I pick up a different one. In this particular case, they become homing missiles.
    Here's the other kind of power-up. These just change how my sword's bullets (that's a dumb phrase) behave and are permanent, at least until I pick up a different one. In this particular case, they become homing missiles.
    Um, so I guess I'm just supposed to leap down this big hole in the subway then?
    Um, so I guess I'm just supposed to leap down this big hole in the subway then?
    Yep, apparently. The level design in Valis II isn't particularly complex. In fact, it's even more linear than in the 1986 original. Just go forward.
    Yep, apparently. The level design in Valis II isn't particularly complex. In fact, it's even more linear than in the 1986 original. Just go forward.
    I picked up a spread shot. Seemed like a good idea, given how good it is in Contra. This spread shot only goes in two directions though, making its usefulness somewhat limited.
    I picked up a spread shot. Seemed like a good idea, given how good it is in Contra. This spread shot only goes in two directions though, making its usefulness somewhat limited.
    Though perhaps I could've held onto it for this flying mid-boss. Still, how was I to know? It's those axes in Castlevania all over again.
    Though perhaps I could've held onto it for this flying mid-boss. Still, how was I to know? It's those axes in Castlevania all over again.
    When you finally get to the end of the stage, this big alert klaxon goes off and we get the vital statistics of our next foe. What, no blood type?
    When you finally get to the end of the stage, this big alert klaxon goes off and we get the vital statistics of our next foe. What, no blood type?
    It doesn't come across in screenshots, obviously, but the voice acting in this game is really something. It's Last Alert bad. I'll have to include a sample at the end of this article.
    It doesn't come across in screenshots, obviously, but the voice acting in this game is really something. It's Last Alert bad. I'll have to include a sample at the end of this article.
    As bosses go, this guy isn't particularly challenging. You just stand over here and jump over his red sonic booms. It helps I have some sonic booms of my own.
    As bosses go, this guy isn't particularly challenging. You just stand over here and jump over his red sonic booms. It helps I have some sonic booms of my own.
    Finally, we make it to Vecanti and Yuko puts on her entirely impractical chainmail bikini and mini-skirt. You know, monster-fighting apparel.
    Finally, we make it to Vecanti and Yuko puts on her entirely impractical chainmail bikini and mini-skirt. You know, monster-fighting apparel.
    Reiko's here too, but apparently she's now a ghost or something. A ghost with a whole lot of exposition, it turns out. She explains how Megas, a powerful warlord who has been trapped for centuries, is trying to wipe out the remnants of Rogles' army. Isn't that a good thing? Enemy of an enemy?
    Reiko's here too, but apparently she's now a ghost or something. A ghost with a whole lot of exposition, it turns out. She explains how Megas, a powerful warlord who has been trapped for centuries, is trying to wipe out the remnants of Rogles' army. Isn't that a good thing? Enemy of an enemy?
    I guess one side is more monsterish than the other. All right, you won me over. Who needs slashing?
    I guess one side is more monsterish than the other. All right, you won me over. Who needs slashing?
    These guys? You got it. Man, the outfits in this game are ridiculous. I'd disparage the skimpy armor Yuko is wearing, but I think she got the better end of the deal attire-wise.
    These guys? You got it. Man, the outfits in this game are ridiculous. I'd disparage the skimpy armor Yuko is wearing, but I think she got the better end of the deal attire-wise.
    Speaking of which, we now have costumed Yuko in Vecanti for the rest of the game. The level design might get more interesting from here on out, but probably not.
    Speaking of which, we now have costumed Yuko in Vecanti for the rest of the game. The level design might get more interesting from here on out, but probably not.

That'll be all from Valis II for today. While of historical note, it's not a particularly riveting gameplay experience, though I suppose there's still a lot more going on here than there was in my No.Ri.Ko playthrough (though it did also include a trip to a bizarre alternate dimension). I hear the two TGCD sequels get a lot better as the series evolved, though it's still mostly the same sort of affair. Not quite Castlevania, or even Ghouls N' Ghosts, but a fairly competent and acceptable horror-themed action game.

Though I recognize "competent and acceptable" doesn't make for good LPs. I'll have to dig deep for something a little more compelling next time. Or just more anime nonsense. Either's fine with me.

< Back to Octurbo-CD

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I've sometimes wondered if Valis was a Sega or Nintendo instead of a TurboGrafx game if it would have been regarded as a classic because of its lead female heroine which was a real rarity from notable agmes of that era. From what you are saying it doesn't sound like the greatest game, but I'm not sure that would have mattered because of the implied girl power angle.

Instead the fate of the series has been sad, not only forgotten but revived in some erotic visual novels I think that really disrespected and cheapened the property.

Bankruptcy does a heck of a thing to a company I guess.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Does Yuko go to Sweet Valii High?

Nice write up! Cool to see some old pixel art. Those battle scenes with Megas' army looks like an anime version of Wizards.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.