Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Undertale

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Sep 15, 2015

A quirky role-playing game that takes place in a secret subterranean world of monsters and gives players the choice to either kill or spare their enemies.

Undertale, the Best Game of All Time, is tearing GameFAQs apart

• 118 results
    gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#101  Edited By gundogan

I don't care for Undertale and I don't care for most of the Nintendo games, so the polls are obviously wrong. (:))

But the situation is entertaining.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@slag said:
    @chumm said:

...This community has a pretty clearly focused interest on Japanese console games that were released between 1996 and 2004, which isn't when games were best...

When were games the best? Honestly, I'd like to know.

It was very clearly 1998.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This whole thing is hilarious

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Polls like this need to enforce a minimum amount of time since release rule for when games can be considers contenders, or else this happens. Still remember reading Empire reader's top 100 films and characters of all time with my friend and guffawing over just how much of it consisted of superhero films from literally the last 2 years.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm 99% sure this is what happened:

1) Undertale gets placed in a poll with some big classic games

2) A small percentage of voters are social justice advocates, a small percentage of voters are furries, and a much larger portion are older gamers who are simply reminded of Earthbound and other 16 bit era JRPGs when they play Undertale.

3) Undertale wins the poll against some classic games.

4) An undeterminable percentage of GameFAQs freaks out.

5) A huge amount of people are entertained by situation, so they keep voting for the game no matter what it's put up against, even if they never played Undertale.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remember that time EA won worst company in america because butthurt nerds didnt like Mass Effect's ending, despite things like the Bank of America foreclosing on homes of people who have never been to or have a mortgage from Bank of America?

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turtlebird95: That movie is the greatest game of all time. They should put that on the poll.

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love that gamefaqs post in the kotaku article where he says all games post 2006 are objectively bad.

DocGroove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Man, people take these polls way too seriously...

SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

Wait, did Undertale "win"? I was expecting a bit more of a mushroom cloud.

Oh well. Life continues, undeterred by the fact a Zelda game wasn't considered the best in some arbitrary internet competition.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subwayd: They haven't announced the winner yet. There's still time to grab a seat for the wreckage.

That said, I love how fast internet denizens rush to invalidate/move the goalposts on something they don't agree with (polls, studies, etc)

vocalcannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My legacy will be buying and playing "objectively bad" video games. I won't be satisfied until the very fabric of the gaming community is in ruins, and there are only video games with buff fishgirl lesbians.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh God........I'm getting flashbacks to my Gamefaqs forums days.

I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I was young and confused.

Lv4Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hotspray: My mother appreciates it, she knows I need more friends.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@spaceinsomniac said:

5) A huge amount of people are entertained by situation, so they keep voting for the game no matter what it's put up against, even if they never played Undertale.

It's far more likely it's just this point - if you've followed the history of literally any online voting contests. Here's a few, via cracked:

#6. Greenpeace Names a Whale

Greenpeace tagged a group of whales in the South Pacific in an attempt to keep them from being poached by the Japanese, because it would appear that Greenpeace tags can deflect harpoon blasts. They then held an online poll to name the animals. The finalist names included Kaimana (Hawaiian for "power of the ocean"), Shanti (Sanskrit for "tranquility"), and for some reason Mr. Splashy Pants, which sounds less like a whale and more like a man shitting himself in an uncontrollable frenzy. To the surprise of absolutely no one, the contest was soon swallowed up by Reddit and Boing Boing, who showered Mr. Splashy Pants with 78 percent of the vote before turning him into a meme, because that's how the Internet works.

#3. Austin Renames a Garbage Dump

The city of Austin, Texas, decided that "Solid Waste Services Department" wasn't a very attractive name for their garbage dump, because apparently those are things that need to sound appealing. So, a poll was set up on the Austin community forum for residents to suggest new names and vote on their favorite ones. After a tense race, the clear winner that emerged was "The Fred Durst Society of the Humanities and Arts." Despite getting an endorsement from Durst himself, the city decided on "Austin Resource Recovery," which sounds like a theoretical mining operation.

#1. Mountain Dew Names a New Flavor

When a pizza place created a green apple flavor of Mountain Dew and held an online poll to name it, 4chan stepped in to populate the list of finalists with names like "Diabeetus," "Fapple," and "Sierra Mist." The top suggestion, earning the most votes by a landslide, was "Hitler Did Nothing Wrong."

GameFAQs positively pales in comparison.

1 through 4 was basically my assumption of how Undertale won the first time. Since it did, and people freaked out, steps 3 through 5 will likely continue repeating themselves until people lose interest.

Those are fun examples of a somewhat different situation, though.

TheBadYetiMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The problem is that when there was previous "joke" vote brigading type stuff on GameFAQs, it was at least funny or weird. Most famously when everyone unofficially agreed to make the L-Block from Tetris as the "Greatest Character of All Time". There's not really any joke or wit or... anything behind mass voting for Undertale, it's just a bunch of people in the Tumblr fanspaces campaigning for people to vote for it.

Also is the "source" for that Kotaku article literally a random GameFAQs post that was deleted (presumably for trolling)? Yikes.

Chumm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is me every time I find an old forum account.

dprotp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By dprotp

@chumm said:
    @jerseyscum said:

This is me every time I find an old forum account.

I recently found my old Hyrule Town Square/NSider profiles from 2003, and boy. And profiles from a few years later reminded me of how edgy, cool, and mysterious I used to be.

I wonder how younger me would have reacted to all of this--or taken part in the kicking and screaming!

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good Gamefaqs has been terrible for ages.

That being said, the more people that tell me Undertale is the best game ever the less I want to play the game. Funny that.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

@golguin said:

Amazing. This One Punch Man x Undertale video perfectly explains what's happening over in gamefaqs and why the appeal of Undertale is so strong.

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.