Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tropico 4

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Aug 26, 2011

Tropico 4 sees you return as El Presidente, the tyrannical (or benevolent) dictator of the island paradise of Tropico. The game challenges you to build an island empire while dealing with other world powers as you work to build up your Swiss bank account.

Should I buy this instead of SimCity?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

It's on sale on Steam for less than $10, whereas SimCity will be $60 for a while. And I'm really bummed about the city size in SimCity, and not being able to really do everything in one city. On the other hand, I don't know a ton about the Tropico series, and I don't have a great sense of what I should expect in terms of polish and bugs.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I thought about making this topic all day but being the lazy bastard that i am i didn't. Answers to these questions are relevant to my interests.

JazzyJeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I've never hit a bug in Tropico 4. It's a well made game, and certainly worth $10. Just be aware that it might not scratch that SimCity itch because it doesn't really do the same thing. I'd suggest checking out the demo first!

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

If you do not own Tropico 3, yes. If you already own Tropico 3, just play that, they are the same game.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#5  Edited By bibamatt

Tropico is AMAZING. Well worth $10! But, like @jazzyjeff said, it's not the same game as SimCity. It does a lot of things similar and they're both great games. But yeah, if you've never played Tropico, $10 is downright criminal if you like your sim games. Despite the server woes, I'd still heartily recommend SimCity to sim fans. I'm having a ridiculous amount of fun with it.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Tropico is a cool game, but it's not really the same as SimCity. CitiesXL is the same as SimyCity though, except you have 100km^2 maps to make your cities on.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Tropico is very good, just know it's more like a Tycoon game where you aren't zoning or anything and are placing all your buildings. I prefer that to Sim City, personally, and really enjoyed it.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Funkydupe

I'd buy some quality drinks instead and just sit back in a comfortable chair. Pondering.

Poppduder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been enjoying Tropico 4 for a while now.

mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought Tropico 3 when it came out, but never got around to learning how to play. Later bought Tropico 4 with the intention of finally getting into it. Still kept putting it off. That's on me.

It took Simcity to finally whet my appetite for an actual city management game and not just an interactive screensaver. So I finally fired up Tropico 4, went through the tutorials and have become addicted to it. Game ain't perfect, but it certainly scratches that itch.

Thus I haven't felt the urge to touch Simcity since launch week. Server issues aside, I just got turned off by all the design decisions in the game that restrict actual strategic play. It's true Tropico is more of a tycoon game, but it's far more engaging at micro-level management than the neighborhood-level simulation that Simcity purports as a selling point.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.