Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Total War: Shogun 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 26, 2011

Total War: Shogun 2 is the sequel to Shogun: Total War, the first game in the Total War series. Shogun 2 is an epic strategy game, combining real-time 3D battles with turn based city and economic management.

Siege system, what do you think?

Emperor_Jimmu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Emperor_Jimmu

I installed the game yesterday and have only managed to play four hours so far, but I would like to see people's reaction to the revised siege mechanics.  

I feel they are a huge improvement over previous games in the series. They ease with which units can be moved within a fortress and ending the dependence on siege equipment makes them much faster to resolve and can play out in more surprising ways. In the previous entries it was possible to predict the outcome of most sieges simply by comparing the unit types and numbers; the battle would usually boil down to two and immovable object rubbing against a very slightly movable object until everybody is dead.  

In Shogun 2 I was able to faint retreats within my own walls before smashing the invaders with a counter-attack, move arches to face the oncoming horde before pulling them back at the last possible moment. When attacking I was able to hold the defenders down on one side with disposable spearmen while moving my samurai to the other side of the fort to charge, surround and overcome their superior numbers. The tweaked mechanics, AI and level design allow me to be proactive rather than reactive. 

So what do you think, do my impressions tally with your own? 

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By veektarius

In all, I prefer the siege mechanics in this game, but not for the reasons you specify.  I never had any difficulty winning in previous Total Wars, save in well-defended fortresses that could blow up my siege engines.  Obviously that's no longer a concern here.  I haven't had quite your luck with attacking.  It seems like any fortress with enough troops to defend every approach is virtually impregnable.. except versus a whole lot of archers.  With so few places to take cover in the castles, archers are beastly even on attack, whereas in previous games, they were virtually useless when it came to taking walls.  Maybe if I actually built siege units, attacking by way of the gates would be a more effective strategy in a major battle.

The best improvement about this game is that there are multiple capture points, which makes it impossible to just focus your defense in one place.   This makes it better strategically, but I think that the old way, of having a last bastion that you have to take, was probably more accurate.  The only problem being that there was no 'surrender' mechanic for demoralized troops with no general.  I mean really, why do they win the castle if they only manage to control half of it?   

Anyway, I've had no problem with assaulting castles really, I can do it when I need to, and when I don't, the wait time for sieges are much more reasonable.

bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By bwmcmaste
    @Veektarius:  

I generally agree with your comments regarding the siege process in S2. However, I found moving to the new siege system required a complete rewrite of my usual strategy in the Total War series - which usually boils down to: Pound a hole in the wall and storm the adjacent wall for cover. In Shogun, I find that unless I have a siege equipment or an overwhelming force (in which case I simply autoresolve), I usually just continue the siege until I can fight my adversary on the field. 

With all that said: I found the mangonels to be absolutely wonderful. I brought three such units to my siege battle at Kyoto and found them indispensable (and fun). 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.