Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Total War: Shogun 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 26, 2011

Total War: Shogun 2 is the sequel to Shogun: Total War, the first game in the Total War series. Shogun 2 is an epic strategy game, combining real-time 3D battles with turn based city and economic management.

Shogun 2: Total War - Battle Reports

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By fattony12000

Posted 2nd of September, 2010

Thoughts?
    Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
    MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#2  Edited By MuttersomeTaxicab

Looks fucking amazing. Can't wait for this to drop.
    Skunkboy72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Skunkboy72

DAMN. that's pretty.  Also I suck at these kinds of games, I hope they have difficulty sliders.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose
    @MuttersomeTaxicab said:
    " Looks fucking amazing. Can't wait for this to drop. "
    Took the words right out of my mouth.
    Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Death_Unicorn

I came in expecting something new. Left with the bitter taste of disappointment...

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By melcene

Seeing this at PAX was pretty sweet.  Hell, even their booth was nice, total Japanese setup. 

Also, they have mentioned that they are doing something awesomely different with the map this time around but can't say what it is yet.  Here was my husband's post on the official forums after we saw this at PAX: 

Shogun 2 was represented at the Pax convention!

Astounding battlefield visuals, Accurate to period dress, Realistic weather, General Speeches, Assassination Videos, All that we have come to expect from a Total War game and more was there.

They did not have a campaign map quite ready yet. I questioned the presenter about it. I confirmed its a mix of the original Shogun/Medieval and the Empire campaign maps.

9 Factions are ready to go. 1 more faction being worked up for something special in the future. Presenter didn't elaborate.

Presenter walked us through a battle, was another faction vs Takeda. Presenter took the side of the other faction. Very basic Total war battle as we all know them to be. Presenter charged the middle took heavy casualties to archer fire, flanked with cavalry and routed the Takeda Wings. Charged the infantry General, rolled up the middle.

There was a small viewing of a naval type setting. Presenter made sure to point out that Japanese naval vessels weren't Carracks or Ships of the Line. And were for more for transportation than actual Naval engagements. Which is true. Despite that the vessels looked outstanding, and will play important roles in your gameplay.

Feel free to comment or ask questions. I am sure there is tons I have forgotten. Was a lengthy presentation, with Q@A.     

The presenter was questioned directly about the Mongols or a possible expansion in that area. He replied that since Sega is a Japanese company, they are a bit skittish about depicting any Japanese invasion of the Korean Penninsula, or of China proper. Apparently its quite literally a political hot button issue they are trying to watch. The Mongol invasion seemed the more likely expansion, due to, its having occurred (or not rather) so long ago.  

My understanding is that Sega is lukewarm on the idea due to the political climate. CA is pushing for it with Mr. Brigden's quote of the political correctness issue being "f@#$ it". So there is hope. He did accidently let an additional gameplay feature go that the community has been clamoring for. I will not divulge that as he immediately tried to cover it, and I don't want my thread to get burned lol.  

I also questioned Mr. Brigden regarding faction specialties. ie some factions are better at archers, some are better horsemen. He confirmed thats in. Which had me concerned as all of the Japanese factions practiced the same type of warfare for the most part. Additionally I asked about region specific bonuses to unit creation. ie Shogun 1 and Medieval 1, that is also in.  

I wish I had more information on the campaign map, suffice to say they wanted it to be ready to show at PAX. It wasn't quite up to par for a presentation so it didn't make it. All I can tell ya is it's supposed to be a blend of the old skool map style with the newer Rome til Napoleon map style. 

Chris_Ihao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Chris_Ihao
    @Death_Unicorn said:
    " I came in expecting something new. Left with the bitter taste of disappointment... "
    Honestly you cant do that much new with Shogun without ruining it. Personally I've always waited for a sequel to shogun, just to get it up to standard in regards to graphics and gameplay improvements.
    warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By warxsnake
    @Chris_Ihao said:
    " @Death_Unicorn said:
    " I came in expecting something new. Left with the bitter taste of disappointment... "
    Honestly you cant do that much new with Shogun without ruining it. Personally I've always waited for a sequel to shogun, just to get it up to standard in regards to graphics and gameplay improvements. "
    I'm with you on that, remember when they tried something new? Stormrise? lol
    ned_flanders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By ned_flanders

Looks terrible tbh. Looks exactly like Empire and might come out with as much as bugs. Im just waiting for Rome 2 or Medieval 3, I will skip this i think.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Death_Unicorn
    @warxsnake said:
    " @Chris_Ihao said:
    " @Death_Unicorn said:
    Honestly you cant do that much new with Shogun without ruining it. Personally I've always waited for a sequel to shogun, just to get it up to standard in regards to graphics and gameplay improvements. "
    I'm with you on that, remember when they tried something new? Stormrise? lol "
    I was disappointed because this video is 4 months old. I watched it when it came out, then someone bumped this topic up. Foolishly, I thought a new video came out showing another aspect of the game.  

I'll probably end up acquiring Shogun when it comes out.
    Chris_Ihao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Chris_Ihao
    @warxsnake: Lol. Yeah, I remember very well not playing it ;) 

@ned_flanders: Exactly like Empire? Ehh, no? You mean both have horses?
    ned_flanders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ned_flanders
    @Chris_Ihao said:
    " @warxsnake: Lol. Yeah, I remember very well not playing it ;) 

@ned_flanders: Exactly like Empire? Ehh, no? You mean both have horses? "
    Even the way the units just stand there is exactly the same animationwise. It looks like its going to be the same buggy wreck. Empire also has guns, Shogun is set in the ancient Japan era, dont know fi you knew that...they arent similar at all gameplay wise. 
    Chris_Ihao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Chris_Ihao
    @ned_flanders said:

" @Chris_Ihao said:

Even the way the units just stand there is exactly the same animationwise. It looks like its going to be the same buggy wreck. Empire also has guns, Shogun is set in the ancient Japan era, dont know fi you knew that...they arent similar at all gameplay wise.  "
    Ohhh. So you are talking about the animation system you obviously have no clue about? For your information they have doubled the amount of body elements to animate. Also, what did you expect when you have samurai standing attention? That they dance boogie while they wait?  (and what gave you the idea that I didnt know this game is from the feudal Japan era? You are the one making simplified but non-understandable statements here).

Frankly I'm not telepathic and when you say that it "looks" like Empire I first and foremost reasoned that you meant "looks" like, not "got a similar animation system" or whatever.  Anyhow, time will show. Best we can do is hope it will turn out good.
    ned_flanders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ned_flanders
    @Chris_Ihao said:
    " @ned_flanders said:
    " @Chris_Ihao said:

Even the way the units just stand there is exactly the same animationwise. It looks like its going to be the same buggy wreck. Empire also has guns, Shogun is set in the ancient Japan era, dont know fi you knew that...they arent similar at all gameplay wise.  "
    Ohhh. So you are talking about the animation system you obviously have no clue about? For your information they have doubled the amount of body elements to animate. Also, what did you expect when you have samurai standing attention? That they dance boogie while they wait?  (and what gave you the idea that I didnt know this game is from the feudal Japan era? You are the one making simplified but non-understandable statements here). Frankly I'm not telepathic and when you say that it "looks" like Empire I first and foremost reasoned that you meant "looks" like, not "got a similar animation" system or whatever.  Anyhow, time will show. Best we can do is hope it will turn out good. "
    I wouldnt hold my breath. I was hyped for Empire and Medieval, and they both turned out horrible upon release. It took months of patching to sort out the huge amount of bugs, and in one case (Medieval) over a year.  Napoloen probably doesnt have as much bugs because its the same engine. This game looks like empire in the sense that it will be a dissapointment. Also, they only have 30 units in the game.
    Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Vorbis

Bumping with a new battle report for those who have missed it.   

Phantom_Crash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Phantom_Crash

I got the collectors edition pre-ordered. I never played any of the first few total war games. I started with Empire and I liked it. I did not notice too many problems except for the lag in the grand campaign and the occasional crash. Napoleon was ok but I missed the grand campaign. I hope Shogun2 has a similar feel to Empire and Napoleon.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kishan6
    @Vorbis: Thanks man 
    @Phantom_Crash said:
    " I got the collectors edition pre-ordered. I never played any of the first few total war games. I started with Empire and I liked it. I did not notice too many problems except for the lag in the grand campaign and the occasional crash. Napoleon was ok but I missed the grand campaign. I hope Shogun2 has a similar feel to Empire and Napoleon. "
    You really should play Rome and Medieval 2... Easily the best the series has to offer so far.  although honestly shogun 2 looks almost as good
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By melcene
    @Phantom_Crash said:
    " I got the collectors edition pre-ordered. I never played any of the first few total war games. I started with Empire and I liked it. I did not notice too many problems except for the lag in the grand campaign and the occasional crash. Napoleon was ok but I missed the grand campaign. I hope Shogun2 has a similar feel to Empire and Napoleon. "
    Shit.  I should probably do that for the hubby.  He's played every game since the first, though he has lost his copy of the original Shogun.
    Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By Vorbis

No Caption Provided
    Now that's a real collectors edition.
    Phantom_Crash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Phantom_Crash

I had the Grand Master Edition pre-ordered but then realised that I have no need for a chess board no matter how cool it is.

@melcene said:

" @Phantom_Crash said:
    Shit.  I should probably do that for the hubby.  He's played every game since the first, though he has lost his copy of the original Shogun. "

Totally worth Pre-ordering. Even for the standard edition.
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By melcene

Oooh found our wedding anniversary present I think :)

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By melcene

Hmmm better yet perhaps (since I can't seem to get the chessboard AND the Takeda Shingen figurine in the same set), is this other set I found that includes the figurine, artbook, and this: 

Bullshit though that the really nice collector's sets aren't going to be available in the US.  Glad the place that has the calligraphy set at least ships to the US

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.