Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Total War: Shogun 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 26, 2011

Total War: Shogun 2 is the sequel to Shogun: Total War, the first game in the Total War series. Shogun 2 is an epic strategy game, combining real-time 3D battles with turn based city and economic management.

Completely New to the Series... Advice?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#1  Edited By alistercat

This is my first total war game and I was just gifted it on steam. I have played many a RTS but never a total war game. I would really appreciate advice on what I need to be doing, campaign or otherwise (obviously not things like troop movement, the tutorials cover that).

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By unchained

The first and main advice I could give you is not to rush. For me, it's not uncommon for a campaigns to take months. I like to focus on one single country/province and build up my troops and cashflow prior to venturing out for conquest. I find it's much easier to defend my cities than to attack others, so I like to have my army quite large and advanced before I head out for conquest. Something I like to do is to have all my cities contribute one combat unit every 5 turns to an army that isn't established in any of my cities. It builds a large roaming army that can quickly move to assist any city that gets attacked.

Lastly, if you have enough money - bribe enemy commanders. It gets you another family member and usually another army with different units than you are able to create.

Note: I don't do multiplayer, so this is my advice against A.I opponents.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

Keep in mind that it's easier to defend than it is to attack. Do not get over zealous and spread your army across too large an area. Try to keep units alive by using retreating if necessary. A veteran unit is always better than a rookie one. Friendly allies can be just as useful as if you had conquered them.

GrandMarshal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By GrandMarshal

build more sword samurai

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By mikemcn

My advice would have been to start with a different TW game, Shogun 2 gets real rough real fast if you don't play conservatively. , what everyone said above still works though.

Tuksit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Tuksit  Online

Just have fun and find a playstyle that works for you. Haven't played Shogun yet(downloading now) but if it's like othet TW games then make sure to balance your books because it'll go south real fast if you don't.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#7  Edited By alistercat

I've heard about allies betrayin you in the campaign. Is this something I really need to worry about?

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By mikemcn

@AlisterCat said:

I've heard about allies betrayin you in the campaign. Is this something I really need to worry about?

YES! When realm divide happens (After taking a certain number of provinces), unless your on crazy good terms with all your allies, they will eventually betray you, and its very hard to get them back on your side. If you can take alot of time and just get 2 really good allies, it can make the endgame so much easier.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sooty

If you really enjoy this I would highly recommend Frozen Synapse as another brilliant tactical game. It's reduced during Steam sales right now.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jimbo

Specialize your provinces appropriately: It's easier to keep track of thing if you remember provinces as Sword Town, Bow Town, Economy Town etc - the provinces often have natural bonuses which you should lean toward.

Garrison your cities appropriately: There's no point leaving a bunch of units in a city which is never going to get attacked, it's just a continuous waste of money which could be used to improve your cities. Have enough garrison to stop it rebelling though.

Don't capture Kyoto until you are in a strong position: Everybody else sides against you once you take it iirc. Kyoto itself is easy enough to hold, but you probably don't want every army on the map marching towards you if you aren't ready for them.

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Bouke

Specialize your cities like Jimbo said; it is really important. Don't build just anything because you can; many buildings use resources so spread thoise out over multiple cities. Try to get some allies early on and request trade routes with them, also try to capture one (or more) of the trade routes at sea. 

During battles put your archers on the setting that makes them retreat when enemies get to close and toggle fire when their target comes to close to allied troops; they'll just keep on firing into your own troops.  

When a city has limited defences take some archers and post them outside the city walls kill of the guarding units, and most of the time your units don't even have to scale the walls.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.