Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tomb Raider

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Mar 05, 2013

A young and inexperienced Lara Croft is shipwrecked on a mysterious island in this reboot of the beloved action adventure franchise, which departs from the mood of prior games in the series.

Which version is better?

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Poll Which version is better? (34 votes)

Definitive Edition (PS4) 47%
    PC Version (2013) 53%

Before you vote or comment please read this first. A couple of days ago a co-worker and I were having a discussion about cars that lead into video games. Long story short we both learned that we're gamers. He bought a PS4 at launch and has played most of the good stuff that has come out since launch except for Infamous. I have it so I offered to let him borrow it. He then offered me Tomb Raider before I had a chance to tell him I have the PC version. So now I have the PS4 version sitting on my coffee table and the PC version waiting to be downloaded. So which version should I play as my first experience through Tomb Raider?

• 
    pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I hate the redesigned Lara in the PS4 version. PC all the way. Besides graphically other than some new effects here and there on PS4 the rest looks at least as good if not better if you have the rig to max it out.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Definitely the ps4 version, but they're both good

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

I would say it depends on the quality of your PC. Tomb Raider requires a pretty good rig to get it to look and perform as well as the PS4 version. The PS4 version also has the redesigned Lara Croft, as well as some additional foliage physics that look really great. On the downside it definitely doesn't run at a stable 60 fps. If I recall it rarely drops below 45, but don't expect perfectly smooth sailing. On the PC you can get a solid 60 fps on a decent PC as long as you turn off TressFX and some of the more demanding light and shadow work. But to max it out, which is pretty much how the PS4 version looks, you are going to need a pretty great PC along the lines of a 770 and current gen Core i5 or AMD equivalent for smooth 1080p playback with TressFX off. If you really want TressFX and want to play on the PC maxed out at 1080p expect to need a Geforce 780 or Radeon 290.

Also if you don't have a controller for PC then the platforming can be a bit more difficult with a mouse and keyboard, although you of course can aim better. I tried both options and found I preferred a controller. Basically, if you have the PC to make it look good and run well then play that. If you don't mind an erratic framerate and want some great visuals or you really like the new Lara model then go with the PS4.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I can't vote unless I have some idea of what your PC is like. If you think it can manage a stable framerate and look decent, go PC. Otherwise, PS4.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By handlas

Considering you have both versions yourself wouldn't YOU be more apt to tell us which version is better?

Otherwise people are just gonna vote for which version they own. I played the PC version. Was perfectly fine. Graphically it looked great. It ran smooth on my iMac using Bootcamp on high setting with almost everything turned all the way up. The hair stuff got it chugging some. The story in the game was terrible... that's where it falls apart so both versions are bad because of that.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Haven't played the definitive version - god, I hate that name - but from what I've seen of the coverage, I'm not a fan of the redesigned Lara. There's a good chance that's just because I'm not used to it and it's not my Lara, like the assholes who complain when a new actor plays the same character. THE SKIN TONE IS OFF AND HE HAS CURLY HAIR. I guess the better question is why you took his copy home when you already own it, but I'm not going to ask.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By handlas
    @hatking said:

I guess the better question is why you took his copy home when you already own it, but I'm not going to ask.

This, actually. Haha. You mine as well play the PS4 version or else you are gonna have to have an awkward conversation with the guy when you give it back to him about how you took his copy even though you already have it on PC.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Can't play with a M&KB on PS4.

Gamerguy3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Gamerguy3

Play the ps4 version unless

You got a good rig with at least a 760ti or r9 270x.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

As someone who's played through both versions to completion. I preferred the PS4 version. My PC ran it fairly welI on high/ultra (30-40fps) but not quite as well as PS4. I also liked the redesigned Lara.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't vote unless I have some idea of what your PC is like. If you think it can manage a stable framerate and look decent, go PC. Otherwise, PS4.

GTX 760

Core i5 4670

8 GB RAM

@handlas said:
    @hatking said:

I guess the better question is why you took his copy home when you already own it, but I'm not going to ask.

This, actually. Haha. You mine as well play the PS4 version or else you are gonna have to have an awkward conversation with the guy when you give it back to him about how you took his copy even though you already have it on PC.

I have it but I didn't DL it yet. Also, sometimes a person may want to do something for you in return even if you didn't want anything. This was that case.

Why would I want to play that game with a M&KB?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@starvinggamer said:

Because you like a non-shitty form of aiming?

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikey87144 said:
    @starvinggamer said:

It's either a non-shitty aiming with shitty movement or shitty aiming with non-shitty movement. As it's a single-player game I will sacrifice the aiming for better movement.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@starvinggamer said:

@mikey87144 said:
    @starvinggamer said:

It's either a non-shitty aiming with shitty movement or shitty aiming with non-shitty movement. As it's a single-player game I will sacrifice the aiming for better movement.

Not to mention that all of the combat encounters are totally tuned for consoles, anyway. games have moved away from circle-strafing and hit-scan weapons and auto-aim bots and being lightning-fast. NBow it's more about rhythm and flow and opportunity.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@mikey87144 said:

@starvinggamer said:

@mikey87144 said:
    @starvinggamer said:

Not to mention that all of the combat encounters are totally tuned for consoles, anyway. games have moved away from circle-strafing and hit-scan weapons and auto-aim bots and being lightning-fast. NBow it's more about rhythm and flow and opportunity.

I played the entire game with a keyboard and mouse and was not hindered as far as movement goes in any way when compared to a controller.

I have also played through most of the game with a controller, just in case you were assuming that I'm one of those people who shits on controllers all the time. I'm not, but there's no disadvantage to movement with a KB/M and there's certainly not a disadvantage in cover-based shooting.

Anyway, on topic, Tomb Raider is a really good game and you should play it. The only deciding factor in this case should be which input method you want to play it with - controller or KB/M? If you want to play it with a controller, then just toss in the PS4 version and play that one. If you prefer the KB/M, then start the download and wait for it to finish.

The PC version, when maxed out, probably is better in a technical sense but it's also probably like the difference between the same blu-ray movie on two different HDTV's. Sure, one's probably better, and some people are probably going to be anal about it, but I'm too busy having fun to care, so pick one and don't worry about it.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

I abstain from voting due to the lack of a "tralse" option.

TreeTrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

the cheaper one

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.