Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tom Clancy's The Division

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 08, 2016

An online-only open-world shooter-RPG from Ubisoft Massive set in a chaotic New York City that is wrought by disease.

How is The Division as a single player game?

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

#1  Edited By MightyDuck

I noticed it is now $20 on Amazon, and I'm intrigued. I played the beta at the beginning of the year and thought it was serviceable, but never picked it up.

My biggest thing though is that I'll probably be playing through it by myself. None of my buddies have the game. Just curious if it's still worth it at that point or better to hold off in general.

Thanks for the feedback!

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think it's worth it as a single player deal though with most of the Dark Zone stuff you might be at a disadvantage going in solo. I never finished it but I had a good time the 30 or so hours I put into it.The story isn't really there at all but if you like loot driven game play with good feeling third person shooting you will have a good time with it.

tyn0mite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

You can for sure play it as a single player game! For that price I would definitely pick it up. I bought the game day one and put over one hundred hours into it. I hit a wall with it prior to the DLC coming out and faded away but I enjoyed the game.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it's a fine single player game because the core mechanics are satisfying and the world looks astonishing. the matchmaking for the instanced story missions works well.

but once you finish the story, if you're playing alone, there isn't much more for you there. not surprising but worth knowing.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's fine. 7/10

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

It was great until a recent patch started scaling ALL the enemies to your level, so by the later levels, every time you feel like you've gained an inch, every enemy has gained a foot. It's infuriating, because that game almost definitely would have been a contender for GOTY for me. As it stands, until they ease off the late game difficulty with this new patch, it's hard to recommend.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was great until a recent patch started scaling ALL the enemies to your level, so by the later levels, every time you feel like you've gained an inch, every enemy has gained a foot. It's infuriating, because that game almost definitely would have been a contender for GOTY for me. As it stands, until they ease off the late game difficulty with this new patch, it's hard to recommend.

i'm sort of a fan of the enemies not scaling 1 to 1 with you so it always feels like there's a bit of challenge/struggle to t. maybe balanced a little better so they're just a tad tougher rather than being monstrously difficult. or maybe difficulty levels akin to diablo 3's.

played this a bit solo and with a buddy on xbone before falling off after about 20 hours but i got a good amount of enjoyment out of it. another good sort of mindless background game.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Much appreciated.

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

@mightyduck: I enjoyed maybe 5-6 hours with it single player, but its pretty boring after that imo. It looks great, both graphically and its aesthetic. Something about wearing scarves and hikers and snow jackets while patrolling the apocalyptic streets of a city is really atmospheric and awesome, seeing sewers full of bodies in sterile yellow body bags... creepy stuff.... however the combat is complete garbage and seeing bullet sponge thugs in hoodies that take a full clip to kill unless you're over leveled isnt fun at all. I'd skip it unless you can afford it.

WezqApe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By WezqApe

I played through The Division solo when it came out and enjoyed it very much. Sometimes I used matchmaking in some of the bigger story missions, but played mostly by myself and even did some lone wolfing in the dark zone.

I liked the combat. I played on pc with a DMR or a sniper as my primary and most basic enemies of my level died with a single headshot. A few times in a new area before finding a new gun a single headshot was not enough but a second not critical hit was usually enough to finish off an enemy.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well it all depends on if you like loot games or not? If you don't then you won't like this, if you do and you don't mind bullet sponges then you might enjoy it. I thought it was really dull when I played a free weekend with a friend, although I have heard good things about the survival mode. It's also full of cheaters on PC as they store a lot of data client side which is fucking dumb.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

The game falls short on story and end game content, but the leveling experience and atmosphere is pretty fantastic. I'd say 20$ is well worth the ability to just wander around a really detailed New York, and shoot some dudes along the way. Fair warning though: every single thug you shoot is named Alex, so don't play the game with any Alexs (Alexi?) in the room.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By jadegl

I played some of the game by myself, but most of it with my husband, and I had much more fun running with another person. The skills kind of work with each other, and while you can certainly spec to where you have skills that are more solo play focused, I don't see how other skills and classes would work in later game on their own. I think most people I see playing solo play tactical with a shield or a turret, but that is just one archetype. I like playing the healer type, and I feel like I wouldn't get far without teaming with someone with a bit more offensive power.

Still, I like it a lot and had enough fun playing it solo to say that it is worth it if found for cheap. 20.00 is a pretty good price, and they are working on adding and adjusting things to make it better. I will admit, I haven't played in a while, so I can't speak to how some newer changes effect the game.

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Once you beat the main campaign there really isn't much to do other than grind for slightly better gear. Underground DLC was disappointing and nothing unique drops from there anymore. Survival DLC might be okay solo but sessions can last up to an hour. Pretty much everything endgame is meant for team play but can be solo'd with good gear but once you've done all the Incursions once, not much a story reason to do them again.

The game was on sale for $9.99 during Black Friday and at that price I would say its worth it. I'm still playing on PS4 once a week cause they keep adding new stuff every few months and finally have a build that can solo just about everything.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

The Division is a pretty fun game...until you get to the end game content and then it falls apart, in my opinion. As a single player game its not too bad, honestly, especially if you get into collectibles and stuff.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone know what the matchmaking is like these days? If it's still active for the story missions, you're probably good to go running solo.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By GaspoweR

@ripelivejam said:
    @sparky_buzzsaw said:

i'm sort of a fan of the enemies not scaling 1 to 1 with you so it always feels like there's a bit of challenge/struggle to t. maybe balanced a little better so they're just a tad tougher rather than being monstrously difficult. or maybe difficulty levels akin to diablo 3's.

played this a bit solo and with a buddy on xbone before falling off after about 20 hours but i got a good amount of enjoyment out of it. another good sort of mindless background game.

Sorry for the super late response. If you're talking about the World Tiers that came with patch 1.4, it's the thing that actually brought me back into the game. Plus loot drops are plentiful now and there are just a few exceptions namely the named High End gear (e.g. Barrett's chestpiece) that requires a lot of grind and farming but otherwise you can have a lot of builds with so many opportunities and ways to get loot now. Unless Sparky was talking about 1.3 then I heard that was actually pretty bad but now I'm having a lot more fun with it.

I'm actually of the opposite opinion as someone who did fell off but came back with the newest patch and I'd actually recommend this more to people now who like looter-shooters than I would have during launch. There are still things that need to be worked on but I love the fact that they actually reached out to the community where they flew people out to discuss what fixes had to be made and were able to implement the stuff in the patch and as a result I am having a lot of fun with the game.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

@gaspower: I'll give it another shot. I really liked most of what I played so I'm willing to give it a second look.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By sweep  Moderator

You're going to struggle going into the endgame stuff alone, as all the best loot is in a high tier world/the darkzone/harder difficulty missions/Survival - all of which are too brutal to complete by yourself. But if you're cool matching with randoms you might be OK for the missions at least.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.