Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Titanfall

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

Set in a far-flung, mech-filled future, Titanfall is the first first-person shooter built by Respawn Entertainment, the studio formed by ex-employees of Call of Duty developer Infinity Ward.

Titanfall PC 48GB Install / Xbox up to 40 GB Install

• 52 results
    vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

@punkxblaze said:

@korwin said:

@punkxblaze said:

The biggest thing I took away from this thread is that Titanfall is a Source game.

What.

Nothing wrong with Source. May not be the most modern engine but it has the best input latency out of all the ones that offer licenses.

Oh, no, don't get me wrong, I love Source. Portal 2 really impressed me with how good they can make Source look still after almost a decade. I'm just shocked because holy shit Titanfall looks good. Source is some powerful shit.

Calling Titanfall a Source Engine game seems really disingenuous, as from the sounds of it, Respawn simply used Source at the outset as a foundation from which they built their engine from. Sounds like almost every line of code in that thing has been modified or stripped out entirely.

It'd be a logistical nightmare, but I really wish I could download the game sans ultra-super-amazeballs-high res textures. During the beta, I couldn't run the highest res textures without significant performance loss, so I'll never even see those assets when I'm playing the final game, so they're just going to be taking up space on my hard drive.

I suppose that's fair, yeah. Calling TF a straight up Source game would be tantamount to calling CoD4 a Quake 3 Engine game.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By Samaritan

@captain_felafel said:

@sinusoidal said:

@captain_felafel said:

Been hearing some reports from people digging around the preload files on the PC and finding that around 35GB's of that is nothing but uncompressed audio from all the different language tracks in the game. I can't imagine that it was never once brought to EA/Respawn's attention that "hey, maybe we shouldn't bundle in every language into everyone's download, but instead split that stuff up by region."

My quick and dirty math says to me that 35 gigs of 32 bit, 44.1 kHz stereo wav files would be 143.5 hours of audio. I doubt the music needs translating into different languages, so 143.5 hours of "fire in the hole" in what, 200 different languages? What the fuck?

Yeah, I don't know man. Just Internet speculation, but it's more than one person coming to the same conclusion so who knows? Maybe those files are packaged in with other assets as well.

Well, having just finished preloading the game, I can confirm that yes, 35 of the 50GB's you install are audio. While installing, it even pops open a separate installer titled 'Titanfall Audio Installer', which installs 34.9GB's of uncompressed audio files. RI-DICULOUS. This game's audio files are bigger than any other single game I have installed on my computer.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@captain_felafel said:

@sinusoidal said:

@captain_felafel said:

Been hearing some reports from people digging around the preload files on the PC and finding that around 35GB's of that is nothing but uncompressed audio from all the different language tracks in the game. I can't imagine that it was never once brought to EA/Respawn's attention that "hey, maybe we shouldn't bundle in every language into everyone's download, but instead split that stuff up by region."

My quick and dirty math says to me that 35 gigs of 32 bit, 44.1 kHz stereo wav files would be 143.5 hours of audio. I doubt the music needs translating into different languages, so 143.5 hours of "fire in the hole" in what, 200 different languages? What the fuck?

Yeah, I don't know man. Just Internet speculation, but it's more than one person coming to the same conclusion so who knows? Maybe those files are packaged in with other assets as well.

Well, having just finished preloading the game, I can confirm that yes, 35 of the 50GB's you install are audio. While installing, it even pops open a separate installer titled 'Titanfall Audio Installer', which installs 34.9GB's of uncompressed audio files. RI-DICULOUS. This game's audio files are bigger than any other single game I have installed on my computer.

Has there been any response about this from Respawn or EA? I suspect that publishers love bloated games like that because they believe it makes them harder to pirate.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is 48 gigs really a lot for people? I have a modern PC, and I would need 40 Titanfalls before my PC became filled up...

Thedrbrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Vuud

@counterclockwork87: It all starts to add up awful fast. Nowadays any new game is going to be 20gb minimum. I remember when I bought my first 1TB drive I thought it was the last HD I would buy because I could never use up that much space. Since then I've piled another TB onto that for all my games and mods.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.