Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witness

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jan 26, 2016

An exploration-focused puzzle-adventure game led by the creator of the 2008 indie game Braid. While exploring a quiet but colorful island, players must solve a series of maze-like puzzles on numerous electronic puzzle consoles.

Penalties for solving puzzles without actually understanding them? (maybe spoilers?)

werewolves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So uh, to start out I'm not really sure where I am, it appears to be some sort of mining factory? I can try to explain more further if no one understands where I'm at.

I solved the puzzle that lifts the ramp up (don't really know if that's a spoiler), and kinda understood why it was solved but the puzzles it leads up too are throwing me so off. I accidentally solved the first one therefore unlocking the next one and while trying to understand what I did, I unlocked the next two. I don't think I'm really force solving them, so much as I'm honestly just trying to understand what the puzzle wants me to do, but keep accidentally solving them without really knowing why.

In this process I noticed puzzles in the walkway above me lit up, and while doing the same thing( just trying to understand the puzzles) I accidentally unlocked 3 more and have no clue yet again, what I did to do that.

Did I screw myself in this area? Am I going to suffer for this later in the game?

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

While I haven't done the area you describe (though I'm pretty sure I know which area you mean), I think it's useful to remember that you can redo/clear previous puzzles without it having a negative ripple effect on following puzzles and actions in the world. This means that say Puzzle A opens Door 1 to Puzzle B which in turn links to Puzzle C: if you accidentally find your way to C by completing A and B (either by luck, false logic or brute force) but not can't do C... you can go back to A and B and mess with them (getting the success lights and failure reactions) without the door closing or your ability to complete C being lost.

There seem to be very few circumstances where this isn't true, and it's usually because of a panel having multiple outputs or a mechanic that is time/other-panel dependent.

I haven't finished the game though (just a couple areas), so maybe relying on that to troubleshoot mechanics becomes an issue later on.

RikiGuitarist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some puzzles (like the one that controls the ramp) are meant to act as levers or switches, and don't really have a logical progression with the rest of the puzzles in the area. They use concepts that you're suppose to learn prior, and aren't necessarily there to challenge you or to build upon those older concepts.

Generally speaking, if you're in an area with a new puzzle concept, and the puzzles elements on the board don't light up red when you get them wrong, you're in a more advanced area for that concept. You could go exploring until you find a simpler panel of the concept you don't understand. Those are usually the tutorial panels, and will light the elements you get wrong with a red pulse that should clue you in on the concept.

You really can't screw yourself over if you solved puzzles that you stumbled into the solutions for. Since you can repeat them and they'll still tell you if you got it correct or not.

If you're still not sure about how you got a puzzle right, redoing the puzzle with different approaches will help you deduce the intended concept.

werewolves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both of you guys are right, I guess I forgot about that while stressing about the puzzles and if I was doing them right or screwing myself over.

I think I just try to understand the mechanics on the next puzzle instead of the last one because it feels like I can learn it better that way but now I've seen that you can just luckily solve them while still not knowing the mechanics.

I'll just have to keep these things in mind and take a break from this area because, damn it's a struggle for me lol

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@werewolves: try not to overthink the concept there. I promise you it's more simple than you think.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.