Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Swindle

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Jul 28, 2015

The Swindle is a physics-based platformer where you infiltrate facilities and steal their money.

This is a recommendation

Kaineda77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kaineda77

Hej there,

just wanted to say, I've been playing this game for 5 hours or so and it is everything I was hoping it would be. To be really reductionist: Mark of the Ninja meets Spelunky meets Monaco meets Rogue Legacy.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Loading Video...

Seems very reduced. I'll grant though, I hadn't heard of it until yesterday, but that trailer makes the game look like a lot of fun to play.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's elements of Stealth Inc in there too. Looks pretty decent. That's one hell of a music track they've got going on there.

trcook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's indeed good, but the prevailing sentiment -- that the controls are weird and stiff -- is also true. It is a good concept but it doesn't handle as well as either mark of the ninja or spelunky -- imho

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

My main issue with it is that it's more Spelunky than Mark of the Ninja, and I would much rather it be the other way around. Procedurally generated games do nothing for me in the long run because they can never be as clever, intricate or interesting as hand made levels. I rather play 10 really great custom made stages than 100 randomly generated ones.

onlineatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

i was very disappointed with it at first, but i think i'm coming around. although, not sure if that's just bc i'm giving in to the dopamine release of numbers getting higher or if i actually enjoy playing it. hmmmm.

shame the load times on the vita version are so long, otherwise that would be the version to get.

Kaineda77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Kaineda77

I played some more and there is some buggie stuff on the vita. Especially hacking robots to fight for you leads to weird reocurring frame rate hitches, which made me stop doing it. Still enjoying it though!

Avatar image for mancombseepgood
    MancombSeepgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gonna echo what people are saying. My first two thoughts were also Spelunky and Mark of the Ninja, but those games control so well, and are so tight and responsive, whereas this is just plain fidgety sometimes. Don't get me wrong, I've probably put about eight hours in so far and I do enjoy it, but the controls could do with some tuning up.

lumley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#9  Edited By lumley

There was a Game Maker's Toolkit episode on this game a few days ago if anybody's interested

Loading Video...

- if anybody's not watched any of the other episodes I highly recommend them.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't know, there's something that fundamentally rubs me the wrong way about a stealth game with randomly generated levels, since you know good level design is quite important in these types of games.

SuperLuigiBros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think we should give credit to the designers in this case. Yes, it's important to have engaging levels but if you design the systems and mechanics of a game to thrive in generated levels then it should be OK. You could say the same thing about platformers - the levels are the most important thing with those games. But then if you look at Spelunky for example, that game is amazing not because of the levels, but because they designed systems that work really well with each other and provide challenging and interesting gameplay. Perhaps Stealth is harder than to pull off in this respect, but I think The Swindle gets it right :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.