Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Apr 27, 2007

A free-to-play MMORPG set in the Lord of the Rings universe, at the same time as The Fellowship of the Ring.

Dwarves are like manly Hobbits that can wear shoes.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By TheMustacheHero

So recently I purchased the Special Edition of Lord of The Rings Online (LOTRO) for  $0.90. Yep, Less than a buck. After it arrived I quickly installed and began to patch....which took forever.

You can't beat 100%?! LOTRO begs to differ!
    After 2 days of patching I was finally able to create a character. Helotais the Dwarf Minstrel (aka Bard).
     Oh well, guess the usual
     Oh well, guess the usual "Helotais" will do.

After doing the tutorial mission I was on to the real game....Slaying rabbits and getting 10 furs then going to the quest giver for 10 copper. Fantastic. I could smell the MMO in it already. Anyways, as a bard- I mean minstrel I was able to play my magic lute to heal myself and kill mobs. At level 2 I was awarded a lute from my minstrel trainer "But I already have a lute" I said to myself, equipping it and getting a tutorial window saying if I type in "/music" I can play the lute as an instrument. Upon entering the command my dwarf pulls out his lute and I mash the 1-8 keys to strum notes. Marvelous! After fiddling around and making terrible music I looked online to see if there was music notes to certain songs. I started to play The Legend of Zelda's Skull kid theme and wondered to myself "Why hasn't this been implemented in WoW?". Anyways, after fiddling around with it and testing other instruments (Flutes, Horns, Bells, Drums, Clarinets) I got bored and logged off and have not had the urge to go back in even though I still have 28 days left of free game time. The whole experience made me want to go play WoW again even though LOTRO is going Free to Play in about 2 weeks.
     The Best part of LOTRO.
     The Best part of LOTRO.
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By TheMustacheHero

So recently I purchased the Special Edition of Lord of The Rings Online (LOTRO) for  $0.90. Yep, Less than a buck. After it arrived I quickly installed and began to patch....which took forever.

After 2 days of patching I was finally able to create a character. Helotais the Dwarf Minstrel (aka Bard).
     Oh well, guess the usual
     Oh well, guess the usual "Helotais" will do.

After doing the tutorial mission I was on to the real game....Slaying rabbits and getting 10 furs then going to the quest giver for 10 copper. Fantastic. I could smell the MMO in it already. Anyways, as a bard- I mean minstrel I was able to play my magic lute to heal myself and kill mobs. At level 2 I was awarded a lute from my minstrel trainer "But I already have a lute" I said to myself, equipping it and getting a tutorial window saying if I type in "/music" I can play the lute as an instrument. Upon entering the command my dwarf pulls out his lute and I mash the 1-8 keys to strum notes. Marvelous! After fiddling around and making terrible music I looked online to see if there was music notes to certain songs. I started to play The Legend of Zelda's Skull kid theme and wondered to myself "Why hasn't this been implemented in WoW?". Anyways, after fiddling around with it and testing other instruments (Flutes, Horns, Bells, Drums, Clarinets) I got bored and logged off and have not had the urge to go back in even though I still have 28 days left of free game time. The whole experience made me want to go play WoW again even though LOTRO is going Free to Play in about 2 weeks.
     The Best part of LOTRO.
     The Best part of LOTRO.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Claude

You know it's not a good sign when a game makes you want to play a different game.

pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By pwnasaurus

my inner LOTR nerd really wants to crack down on your hobbit bashing, but i shan't i'm waiting for the game to be free. wanna play badly.

TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @Claude said:
    " You know it's not a good sign when a game makes you want to play a different game. "
    It's good for the different game.
    thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By thedj93
    @pwnasaurus said:
    " wanna play badly. "
    I want to listen to you play badly. 

The lute that is.
    bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By bravetoaster

Free 2 Play LOTR? I might have to download that.

pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By pwnasaurus
    @thedj93: thanks?
    butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By butano

Man, I was kinda looking forward to it going free to play too. I'm sure I'll try it out when it comes out.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By sagesebas
    @TheMustacheHero: I had the same experience, why play this when there is a better version of this out there and I don't really even wanna play that.
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @sagesebas said:

" @TheMustacheHero: I had the same experience, why play this when there is a better version of this out there and I don't really even wanna play that. "

Pretty much. Also if I went back to WoW I wouldn't feel like it was as much of a waste of time as playing LOTRO because frankly, WoW still has a couple years still in it and is pretty dang popular LOTRO just felt barren and unfinished for a game that's been out for 3+ years.
    CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By CowMuffins

This game is WoW, but you can only play Alliance.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By habster3

I haven't seen you for a long time, MH; where've you been?

TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @habster3 said:
    " I haven't seen you for a long time, MH; where've you been? "
    I was gagged for like 4 days!
    Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Seedofpower

296% huh? I wonder how that works. If their dungeon boss have 1000% health and you have to kill them multiple times before they die.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#15  Edited By jacksukeru

After reading the OP I was disappointed that there was no part that adressed why dwarfes are like manly hobbits that can wear shoes.

TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @Seedofpower said:
    " 296% huh? I wonder how that works. If their dungeon boss have 1000% health and you have to kill them multiple times before they die. "
    ? That was the game patching screen.........
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ryanwho

I'm not a huge LOTR fan, but man. Is it too much to ask? One really good LOTR game? Not some BS MMO based on pages 200-230 in The History of Middle Earth? Really now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.