Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda

Franchise »

Nintendo's flagship fantasy action-adventure series created by Shigeru Miyamoto and Takashi Tezuka in 1985, the Zelda series is the source of many revolutionary gameplay conventions, and continues to be one of the most popular and critically acclaimed video game franchises of all time.

The Official Zelda Timeline is now out!

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Hizang

IGN posted an article that shows us the official Legend of Zelda Timeline. There was a blog about this a few days ago but it was not confimed. IGN says that it has been confirmed so I guess thats by Nintendo, so yeah after all of this time there it is!

Here is the article.

No Caption Provided
    Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Nux

Thats pretty cool and a bit complicated.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By toowalrus

This is supremely dumb- Ganon is revived/defeated/executed/reincarnated like a dozen times. It's a pretty awful retcon.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Dany

Next, Mario Bros. The people need to know!

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DeeGee

@TooWalrus said:

This is supremely dumb- Ganon is revived/defeated/executed/reincarnated like a dozen times. It's a pretty awful retcon.

They explain all of this in Skyward Sword.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By toowalrus

@DeeGee said:

@TooWalrus said:

They explain all of this in Skyward Sword.

They explain all the post-Ocarina of Time parallel dimensions stuff? They're trying to convince us that they've had this planned all along, but I feel that if the convoluted way that A Link to the Past is tied to an un-successful play-through of Ocarina of Time was part of the plan, they would have mentioned that at some point before now. No, I think that's just an awful, unnecessary retcon (though all of the new pre-Ocarina Ganon origin stuff is just fine- I haven't been able to play Skyward Sword quite yet.)

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By BoG

That's confusing. So the timeline depends on whether or not the Hero of Time succeeds? I guess my personal timeline is the Hero of Time failure. I played the game to the end, but I never actually beat Ganon. My adolescent fingers couldn't take him down.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By MrKlorox

Even though I'm wearing a Zelda t-shirt as I type this sentence, this chart pretty much explains why I'll never get into the lore of the universe(s).

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By inkerman

Why did they bother? I mean didn't everyone assume that the Zelda games were largely unrelated to one another in terms of chronology and only partially by universe?

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who created heaven and Earth? Is there a God in the Zelda series? 
    These are questions the people need to know!

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MideonNViscera

It exists because die hard Zelda fans have probably been talking about it for 20 years.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I don't like the idea of a third split.

Having an alternate timeline after Link was sent back in time makes sense, but how does the "Link dies" timeline come about? If we're just getting arbitrary alternate dimensions, what's to say the next game won't come out because Windwaker Link forgot to brush his teeth one day? Surely it means there can be any number of alternate versions now, making the whole idea of a timeline pointless.

bongchilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By bongchilla

Anyone hear anything if this book will be translated officially? I would love to have this book around, not only for the timeline stuff but for other cool facts like naming conventions etc. I really wish the Xenogears: Perfect Works was officially translated but never was..

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Nottle

@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:

Who created heaven and Earth? Is there a God in the Zelda series? These are questions the people need to know!

I pretty sure Ocarina of time explains this at the very beginning of that game. There is a whole sequence talking about Din, Nayru, and Farore making Hyrule.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Black_Rose

@Inkerman said:

Why did they bother? I mean didn't everyone assume that the Zelda games were largely unrelated to one another in terms of chronology and only partially by universe?

Not really, you get little hints from past games in every new Zelda. Like the story of the hero of time disappearing at the beginning of Wind Waker or the spirit that trains Link in Twilight Princess, who one assumes is the Link from OoT.

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By EchoEcho

@WinterSnowblind said:

Having an alternate timeline after Link was sent back in time makes sense, but how does the "Link dies" timeline come about? If we're just getting arbitrary alternate dimensions, what's to say the next game won't come out because Windwaker Link forgot to brush his teeth one day? Surely it means there can be any number of alternate versions now, making the whole idea of a timeline pointless.

I think it's the only way they could make it work. You'll notice that all the games on that particular timeline are from the NES/SNES/GB era -- it's probably safe to assume that they'd only started to think about how they were all connected toward the end of that. So while all the others can fit together nice and neatly, they decided they weren't going to try to shoehorn the older games into a timeline that can't properly support them and made them part of a "Ganon succeeded" timeline instead. Really, I think a "Ganon succeeded" timeline is an acceptable branch. It's not really all that arbitrary, as it splits from one of the most important points in the timeline, where the major villain makes his appearance and rises to power. Hardly as random and arbitrary as "Link forgot to brush his teeth." Could they possibly abuse this in the future? Yeah, undoubtedly. But at least it gives them options, and as long as the games continue to be good, I honestly don't care if the timeline is a bit wonky. It doesn't hurt anything by existing, after all.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Black_Rose

@BoG said:

That's confusing. So the timeline depends on whether or not the Hero of Time succeeds? I guess my personal timeline is the Hero of Time failure. I played the game to the end, but I never actually beat Ganon. My adolescent fingers couldn't take him down.

@WinterSnowblind said:

Not quite, I'll let Maximum Taco of gamefaqs explain:

Zelda corrupted the timeline by sending Link back using the Ocarina. But 3 timelines are created based on the three travel points used in the game, 2 created by the sword and 1 by Zelda.
    Time Junction 1: This is the point where the Master Sword takes Link whenever Link returns the sword to the pedestal and emerges as a child in the past. Which is after Link has met Zelda and collected the Goron's Ruby, and Zora's Sapphire, after Zelda as fled the Palace with Impa, after Link acquires the Ocarina of Time, and after Link has pulled the sword for the first time and opened the sacred realm.
    Time Junction 2: This is the point seven years later where the Master Sword takes Link whenever Link draws the sword from the pedestal and emerges in the future as an adult.
    Time Junction 3: This is the point Zelda sends Link to, before Link has met Zelda, before he collects the Goron's Ruby and Zora's Sapphire, before Zelda flees the Palace with Impa and before Link acquires the Ocarina.
    When there was two connected Time Junctions (1 connected directly with 2, if Link disappeared from 1 he had to emerge in 2 and vice versa, he could always get to the other Junction as well, with no hindrances) there was no time travel paradoxes or discrepancies. But when Zelda creates a third junction point (and more than that a one way junction point), it removes the connections between the two Master Sword junctions. Link disappears from Junction 2 but instead of emerging in Junction 1 like he should, he emerges from Junction 3, meaning there is no Link in Junction 1 (so the events leading to ALTTP play out), and there is no Link in Junction 2 (so the events leading to WW play out), and the Link in junction 3 stops Ganondorf and leaves for Termina (so the events leading to MM and TP play out)
    Since Link has no way of returning to Junction 1, the "Link Fails" timeline must occur where Link simply vanishes after pulling the Master Sword."
    jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

This is cool I guess for those that really care about the Zelda timeline. Like my crazy younger brother for example.

GozerOnline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#19  Edited By GozerOnline

In GameTrailers' Legend of Zelda video retrospective years ago, they postulated a very similar "split" timeline, but only split in two (not three).

Since fans were crying out for it (and perhaps with less and less people caring about the franchise in recent years), perhaps Nintendo is throwing the timeline out now to try to get previous Zelda faithfuls interested in Skyward Sword.

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By nohthink

@TooWalrus: Nooooooooooo really?(sarcasm)

lol

I'm totally with you on that. But hey, they gotta continue the series somehow.

Plus, they kinda(but not really) explained that in Skyward Sword. Something about Link, Zelda and Ganon are forever destined to fight to the eternity or something....

At least they justify it.

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By Julmust

IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW. That's pretty complicated.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#22  Edited By Video_Game_King

@BoG said:

Really? You couldn't just roll under his crotch? That's how I beat him. (Also, you have to use the Master Sword to beat him. Otherwise, the fight just goes on and on and on.)

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BisonHero

When has Nintendo ever had good writers? Nintendo isn't paying a room full of writers to sit around, cooking up some elaborate fictional universe with an intricately detailed chronology. That takes years if you do it right (look at Tolkien), and that's not how video game fiction is created.

Each time they start creating a new Zelda, they just toss in a couple of super vague references/callbacks to other games in the series, just to keep fans happy. This timeline is a retcon, and doesn't seem any more valid than fan timelines, and it wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo forgets about this and accidentally invalidates this particular timeline within a game or two.

I still just don't get why an overall timeline matters to people. Continuity is pretty much the lowest priority in that series. Knowing how the games are ordered doesn't really inform you in any meaningful way. Each game works quite well on its own, and fills you in on enough fiction that things make sense. Even the obvious sequels (Majora's Mask to Ocarina of Time) don't really build on what was in the previous game. You could start literally anywhere in the series, and do just fine.

The series isn't going anywhere in particular. It's not going to have any final battle, anymore than Batman is ever going to suddenly conclude and just go out of print.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Vexxan

This timeline is crazy, it's like they just whipped it up just to have one.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By wrighteous86

I'm indifferent about the timeline, but I'm glad that they've said something about it. It is kind of cool that in this new 3rd split, where Ganon wins, Hyrule is clearly a continent in decline. The Link to the Past Hyrule is a little more backwards and run-down than Ocarina's, and it only gets more scattered and behind-the-times as that timeline goes on, to the point where the original NES games are practically wastelands.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By TehFlan

Interesting. Didn't see the 3rd branch coming, but this is a decent way to tie the universe together. Looking forward to finding out what they do with the next game.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#28  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I don't like it. It doesn't work with the fan-fiction I was going to write.

Avatar image for commodoregroovy
    CommodoreGroovy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CommodoreGroovy

I like the idea of a third split because nobody ever considered it. Even with thousands of fans deliberating over the timeline for over twenty years, they managed to devise a timeline that nobody could of predicted. Kudos Nintendo, you've made many fanboys squeal in agnoy this day.

dr_zox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By dr_zox
    sonicrift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By sonicrift

Shit, are we talking alternate timelines and parallel dimensions? Well, if you believe in relativity, no one event or decision can be more important than any other decision, so yes, there is an alternate timeline wherein Link doesn't brush his teeth, or doesn't get Biggoron's sword.

I HOPE WE GET TO SEE THESE WORLDS!!!

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By NekuCTR

Wow, I totally missed this. Now I have the urge to go play them all in chronological order. Even more so considering I have yet to, and have been meaning to, play Skyward Swords.

Also here's a cool underrated video I found summarizing the chronology.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.