Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda

Franchise »

Nintendo's flagship fantasy action-adventure series created by Shigeru Miyamoto and Takashi Tezuka in 1985, the Zelda series is the source of many revolutionary gameplay conventions, and continues to be one of the most popular and critically acclaimed video game franchises of all time.

Miyamoto says Retro Studios *might* co-develop next Zelda game

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#1  Edited By Slag

If more than an idle speculation (which I think is all it can be fairly called at this point), I'm actually kind of excited to see what the Metroid Prime guys could do with the series. I think Vinny and Patrick's comments about the formula finally getting a little stale and games being too slow to start are very fair.

from

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/12/miyamoto-interview-transcript/all/1

Wired.com: It’s come out since Mario Kart 7 came out, there have been some articles about how Retro Studios was very deeply involved in the making of this game, and it’s considered a landmark for the series because you had this collaboration between EAD and Retro. And I’m curious as to whether you think that this would be an interesting model for more games, like a Mario platformer or a Zelda game, to have a Western team and a Japanese team working in close concert to produce a game like that.

Miyamoto: First of all, let me talk a little bit more in detail about how we collaborated with Retro Studios this time. Of course, they were taking care of the game designing aspect. Specifically, they were taking care of the design of the courses and the artwork about that. But when it comes to the gameplay and the control mechanism itself, that’s being taken care of by EAD once again.

People often say that videogames made by Western developers are somehow different in terms of taste for the players, in comparison with Japanese games. I think that means that the Western developers and Japanese developers, they are good at different fields. And that resulted in a different taste in [their games]. Mario Kart, I believe, was good in order to express that kind of different taste because we have many kinds of different courses for the Mario karts to run and race around. So for each of the different courses, we could identify: Retro is supposed to take care of this course, and EAD is going to do that, and such and such. Then, we were able to join forces in order to realize a variety of different courses, a variety of different tastes. I think that’s one reason how it worked out well between a Japanese development team and a Western development team.

As you know, we have already collaborated with Retro for the Metroid Prime series in the past. And I think when we talk about any other franchise, Zelda might be a possible franchise for that collaboration.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

So does that mean we'll finally get the first person Zelda game we've wanted since 1995?

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I say give it to Team Ninja. I'd love to see an overly emotional Zelda with huge ti-...

I'd love to see an overly emotional Zelda.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By FreakAche

Zelda Prime? Sure, why not.

psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 142

#5  Edited By psykhophear

@BabyChooChoo said:

I say give it to Team Ninja. I'd love to see an overly emotional Zelda with huge ti-...

I'd love to see an overly emotional Zelda.

Teehee. So do I. :D

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Hailinel

It's just a comment he made. There's nothing more to say about it because he's only alluding to the possibility. And this is in the context of Mario Mart 7, to which Retro's main contribution were art and track assets.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#7  Edited By pyromagnestir

I'd like to see that.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#8  Edited By Slag

@Video_Game_King said:

So does that mean we'll finally get the first person Zelda game we've wanted since 1995?

would be kinda funny if we did, I can only imagine the whole "Link Finds" meme would get even weirder if they keep that mechanic.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By Tireyo

Uh... I don't think so. They did good with the Metroid Prime series and DKCR, but not as good with Mario Kart 7. Them doing a Zelda, I don't like the idea... Team Ninja would not be a good choice either. The idea just doesn't click with me at all. I don't get that effect of WOW, NOW THAT'S A GREAT IDEA! I'm more comfortable with just Nintendo working on Zelda games.

If Retro Studios really wants to do something, why not bring back Starfox? They would probably make a killer Starfox!

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Dalai

Whatever Miyamoto is smoking, I want it.

Because that's a brilliant idea.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By FreakAche

@Tireyo643 said:

If Retro Studios really wants to do something, why not bring back Starfox? They would probably make a killer Starfox!

I'd rather they be working on great open world action-adventure games like Metroid or Zelda. Starfox doesn't really seem like a logical fit for them, although I guess I would have said the same thing about Donkey Kong, so who knows.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By Tireyo

@FreakAche said:

@Tireyo643 said:

I'd rather they be working on great open world action-adventure games like Metroid or Zelda. Starfox doesn't really seem like a logical fit for them, although I guess I would have said the same thing about Donkey Kong, so who knows.

Doing different things could help broaden Retro Studios perspective into making even more great games. There is bound to be a few more that will reach the status of epic! Donkey Kong County Returns was definitely different for them, and they did a great job with it. Mario Kart was definitely unique in it's own way. They could do something similar to Starfox Adventures, but better than Starfox Adventures with more flying and ground vehicles.

Hard to tell really when there are only a few games that they made, though they were all mostly critically acclaimed.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By JasonR86

I would be so happy about this. This would make me really excited for the Zelda franchise. I think the franchise could be helped by being developed by new people with new ideas. I can't think of many better developers to fill this role then Retro.

Lavapotamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By Lavapotamus

I would blindly buy and play this. Harmonix and Retro Studios are the two third party developers of games that I've been able to jump into and enjoy without fail. That will probably bite me eventually, but until then, news and announcements concerning their work usually brightens my day.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By xyzygy

They revolutionized Metroid and I believe that they could do the same with Zelda. Retro is one of my favorite studios. I really hope they decide to do this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.