Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 21, 1998

The first 3D Legend of Zelda game, Ocarina of Time was created for the Nintendo 64 in 1998 and introduced innovative mechanics such as Z-targeting as well as many of the series' other trademarks. It has frequently been ranked as the greatest game of all time by many publications.

I don't understand why people lose their ish over this game.

• 156 results
    Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By LordXavierBritish

I mean, I get why it's a classic because if I had ever played though this when it came out on the N64 it would have blown my fucking mind, but I don't get why people still consider it to be so great.

The world just feels so fucking empty, there's like no life to any of it. It has this Metroid kind of vibe but rather than feeling isolated it just feels unintentional. When the game opened up into a big field of nothing it just seemed depressing and really just annoying more than anything. Rolling across a giant field full of nothing is not fun, it is fucking boring. At least in 2D Zelda games there are usually enemies to fight on each screen, the only thing you ever find in those god damn fields is flying shit that's just annoying to fight and dead shit that dies in one hit.

Also I got the horse, so don't say it is because I didn't get the horse. The horse only makes it marginally better.

And when you finally get into a town there is like nothing there of interest. All the shops sell bull shit you don't need and none of the characters have anything interesting to say. On top of that the few characters that do become important to the plot, the Sages, only get a few lines and most of them are wasted on how they wished they didn't have to become Sages so they could fuck Link. Like the only good character is that Goron who's name I don't even remember, and he probably didn't even want to fuck Link so maybe there is some correlation there.

I mean there's just so much opportunity to explore this world that they just throw away. You barely get to learn anything about the Gorons or the Zora, let alone Hylians. The one race you do get any in depth information on is the Gerudo and all we learn is that one male is born every 100 years and they are all thieves apparently except you never see them steal anything and they stay in a fortress guarding a desert that no one can get through on their own all day.

Also why do they need to guard the desert if no one can get through it.

Also what's with the fucking Dungeons? All the puzzles are really easy, and most of them don't even take advantage of the new items that find and the few that do usually only serve as a tutorial. The only time I ever had to look up something with the in-game video guide was when I couldn't figure out how to get back to the Spirit Temple as a child because apparently I missed triggering a cutscene by warping from the Spirit Temple and not going back outside so Sheik could teach me a song because telling someone they need to be a child and then not expecting them to go back to the Temple of Time at all took some really great foresight.

Also what the fuck is with the end of the game, that Shiek reveal was really weak. I mean I knew it was going to happen but still, it was pretty weak. Man what if Sheik just started making out with Link and then revealed she was Zelda that would have been great.

Also what is with the last boss. Some of the bosses in this game were great, they were probably the best part, but Ganon is a fucking bitch. Even Ganondorf was harder than Ganon, is that seriously the best they could come up with? I could literally take two Ganons on at once, he is basically just one of those suits of armor except you have to shoot him with arrows to make him fall over and cry like the bitch he is.

I just really don't get all the love for this game or why people still think it is the shit all these years later, it's really not that great especially compared to some of the other games in the series.

Discuss.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By MariachiMacabre

You need more horse. Perhaps upgrade your horse with nitrous.

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By LordXavierBritish

@MariachiMacabre said:

I got all the horse, there is only one horse.

Maybe you should be able to ride two horses at once that would be cool.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Akrid

Your first sentence answers all. You kinda had to be there. 

And those seem like incredibly minor gripes for a game that came out 13 years ago.

FEnergyLegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By FEnergyLegs
    @LordXavierBritish said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

I got all the horse, there is only one horse.

Maybe you should be able to ride two horses at once that would be cool.

Link should have fucking been able to ride two horses like fuckin rollerskates. Now that would have been a game.
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By kingzetta

I don't see what people see in zelda period.

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By LordXavierBritish

@Akrid said:

Your first sentence answers all. You kinda had to be there. And those seem like incredibly minor gripes for a game that came out 13 years ago.

The joke is Majora came out 2 years later and fixed all of them but people still like OoT more.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By hockeymask27
    @Akrid said:

Your first sentence answers all. You kinda had to be there.  And those seem like incredibly minor gripes for a game that came out 13 years ago.

its the same reason this will beat blops or any fps  in my books everyday 

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By Hailinel

You're basically complaining about the design of a thirteen-year-old game. The game was fucking amazing in its day, and with the remake, it still holds up far better than most games from the N64 era.

FEnergyLegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FEnergyLegs
    @Akrid said:

Your first sentence answers all. You kinda had to be there.  And those seem like incredibly minor gripes for a game that came out 13 years ago.

You are completely right. 13 years ago it was impossible to develop characters and designing puzzles was motherfucking rocket science.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hailinel

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Akrid said:

Your first sentence answers all. You kinda had to be there. And those seem like incredibly minor gripes for a game that came out 13 years ago.

The joke is Majora came out 2 years later and fixed all of them but people still like OoT more.

Majora's Mask is different, strange, and terrifies people uncomfortable with breaking out of the traditional Zelda mold.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By StaticFalconar

So the fact that skeletons come out at night don't do anything for ya?  
    Or how about the guy in super fast sneakers that you could race against? 
    Then how about the ghost that you can catch? 

Or, just perhaps, one can be understanding when you realize the computing power of the N64, and if they rerelease this game with too much bastardizations like adding stuff that wasn't there, just imagine what the backlash would be seeing as how many reviewers are old enough to have actually played the first one. 

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hailinel said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Akrid said:

Majora's Mask is different, strange, and terrifies people uncomfortable with breaking out of the traditional Zelda mold.

Then what about any other Zelda game ever, OoT is still the king for some reason.

I will shoot anyone who actually claims OoT is better than Wind Waker if I were to meet them in person.

I will go get a gun license, buy a mother fucking gun, go to a shooting range and pay to have lessons so I can learn to properly carry and operate a firearm, and then I will shoot them if they are still waiting for me in the same place.

If not I will go home and spam their inbox and just be satisfied with that.

TanoPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TanoPrime

HEY!  We don't take kindly to people who don't take kindly to Zelda round hurr!!!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hailinel

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Hailinel said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Akrid said:

Then what about any other Zelda game ever, OoT is still the king for some reason.

I will shoot anyone who actually claims OoT is better than Wind Waker if I were to meet them in person.

I will go get a gun license, buy a mother fucking gun, go to a shooting range and pay to have lessons so I can learn to properly carry and operate a firearm, and then I will shoot them if they are still waiting for me in the same place.

You enjoyed that Triforce hunt in Wind Waker?

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Akrid
    @LordXavierBritish said:

@Akrid said:

As a matter of fact, I'm playing through Majora's Mask right at this very moment. It's not very good. And I was one of the people who absolutely loved it at release. Of course I haven't played OoT in a very long time so it may have similar issues, or worse as you say.
    icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By icicle7x3

OoT is better than Wind Waker.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By WickedCestus

I like Ocarina of Time because I was a kid when I played it. Objectively, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess are probably better games.

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hailinel said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Hailinel said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Akrid said:

It wasn't the entire game.

OoT is the entire game all the time.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hailinel

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Hailinel said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Hailinel said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Akrid said:

I...what. I mean...huh?

WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Gabriel

@kingzetta said:

agreed, the last Zelda game I played was Link to the past, that game was great but I have no desire to ever return to that formula again. Even Darksiders did nothing for me.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By Chop

The fact that it's even playable today makes it amazing.  

I'm not OOT's biggest fan but it's hard to ignore just how much it helped the gaming world. There are probably a million little things in OOT that you think of as standard game design, that it did first. 

Ezlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ezlo

@Hailinel: Actually that was one of my favorite parts of the game. But I'm odd anyways.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BulletproofMonk
    @LordXavierBritish said:

@Hailinel said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Hailinel said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Akrid said:

You just blew my fucking mind.
    FEnergyLegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By FEnergyLegs
    @Hailinel said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Hailinel said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Akrid said:

The assertion that Triforce hunting somehow ruined Wind Waker just fucking baffles the hell out of me. It was such a minimal part of the game that it hardly negated any of the game's other qualities. And I mean, you could easily get most of the charts during the main course of the game They are all fairly obvious and not too out of the way at all. 

Also; Tingle. Fuck yeah.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By toowalrus

@LordXavierBritish: I'm not going to argue about why I like Zelda (because the reason is probably entirely 'because I like it when I was 8 years old'), but just out of curiosity, what were some of your favorite games from around that time?

VashTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By VashTS
    @LordXavierBritish: Wow you just blew my mind.  Thanks for letting me know why OoT is the worst game ever.  
    I'm gonna go punch everyone in the face I come across that thinks otherwise! You are a god among gamers. You must be the ripe age of 13 or 14.
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheMustacheHero

NOSTALGIA GOGGLES!

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By kingzetta
    @Gabriel said:

@kingzetta said:

agreed, the last Zelda game I played was Link to the past, that game was great but I have no desire to ever return to that formula again. Even Darksiders did nothing for me.

yeah I thought the same thing about darksiders.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By Slaker117

I can totally understand why people who played it when it was new would still hold it in very high regard, and it has held up very well for a game over a decade old, but I wish people in general were better at recognizing the influence nostalgia has when discussing the game. The way some talk you'd think there has been no advancement in games since its release.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I remember playing it as a kid at my friends house and thinking it was shit.  Maybe I didn't enjoy it because I never played through the entire thing, but I guess I'll never know.
    bremmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By bremmy

@VashTS said:

@LordXavierBritish: Wow you just blew my mind. Thanks for letting me know why OoT is the worst game ever. I'm gonna go punch everyone in the face I come across that thinks otherwise! You are a god among gamers. You must be the ripe age of 13 or 14.

This is a mature and well thought response to the topic. Let's give him a big round of applause.

clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By clarke0

I usually don't enjoy long rants about video games because they are so tired and overdone, on the Internet, at this point. This however, legitimately made me break out laughing at points. Mostly because of how genuinely pissed off you seem about all these details and how enthusiastically this just keeps building upon itself. So thanks for being concise writer with something to say, and making me laugh along the way.

To a degree I do actually agree with your points. With that said, even if the over world is empty feeling, the races, places, and story are not fleshed out, and many of the enemies are little bitches, this game still has qualities that hold up. The simplicity of the design and the game play has a certain draw, being easy to conform to and a effective conduit to enjoying the experience. The dungeons aren't extremely complex but are not a complete push over either; they are at least challenging enough to be interesting. Lastly, and importantly, at least to me, is the unique atmosphere that the game's graphics and music provide (particularly in dungeons), which I think is key for a 3d Zelda game.

Those are some of the reasons why, at least to my memory, I enjoyed the game so much when I first played it. It has been a while since I have made the time to play through it again.

VashTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By VashTS
    @Bremmy: It was a necessary evil considering some other person would do it sooner or later.   

That game half-life though thats poop.  Doom and Duke Nukem are terrible. All you do is walk around finding keys.
    JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By JasonR86
    @LordXavierBritish

You got to remember, this is an old ass game.  At the time it was amazing and in a lot of ways it still is but...it's an old ass game.  You have to look at it that way in order to see its true value.
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TooWalrus said:

@LordXavierBritish: I'm not going to argue about why I like Zelda (because the reason is probably entirely 'because I like it when I was 8 years old'), but just out of curiosity, what were some of your favorite games from around that time?

Anything by Rare, I replayed both Banjos and Conker on Xbox and still love all of them.

@VashTS said:

@LordXavierBritish: Wow you just blew my mind. Thanks for letting me know why OoT is the worst game ever. I'm gonna go punch everyone in the face I come across that thinks otherwise! You are a god among gamers. You must be the ripe age of 13 or 14.

I never said it was a bad game. Also I bought and played my N64 when it was new, I just never got into Zelda.

You should probably respond to this with more assumptions, I've found that works out really well for people of your demeanor.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#37  Edited By Video_Game_King

Again, I'd totally do a blog about this myself, but I already have plans for the next three or four blogs, and Ocarina of Time is not in the foreseeable future.

VashTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By VashTS

Everyone has their opinions and I don't understand why people regard FFVII as such a great game. Chrono Trigger is far superior imo.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Hailinel

@LordXavierBritish said:

@TooWalrus said:

Anything by Rare, I replayed both Banjos and Conker on Xbox and still love all of them.

The first Banjo game (the only one I played) was fun for its day, but if you want to talk about old gameplay, it's a pretty prime example. Especially as that's about when Rare started going cuckoo for collectathons.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40  Edited By yukoasho
    @TheMustacheHero said:
    NOSTALGIA GOGGLES!
    This, pretty much.  I played OoT on the N64 (and again on the Cube) but never really saw the appeal.  It was a good game, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't OMG GREATEST GAME EVAR I JUST CREAMED MY PANTIES!  However, for people who had ONLY an N64, that was probably the greatest game they ever played at that point.  N64 was something of a wasteland as far as games went.  You had a few sub-par PlayStation ports, yeah, but the draw of the system was the one or two games from Nintendo that came out a year.  Basically the logic was "Don't like (mascot)?  Don't eat."  So basically for a generation of young gamers, this became one of the important parts of their childhoods.  This is part of why Nintendo can get away with not having done anything notable since Pikmin: Nintendo's fans have massive nostalgia goggles that they refuse to take off.
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By onarum
    @LordXavierBritish :

I dunno, at least in my case I remember it being a truly unique experience at the time, I had never played anything like it before, the characters, the world, the story, the music everything was top notch, and of course it was in (mostly) full 3D, also it had an amazing sense of exploration that I always value in games.

But of course each to his own, it's perfectly acceptable that you don't like it, but I also don't think you should be puzzled by why other people do.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By toowalrus

@LordXavierBritish said:

@TooWalrus said:

Those are both quality games, and I love them to fucking death- I've probably gotten the 100 jiggies/900 notes in Banjo-Kazooie six times. Even though I love that damn game, I could totally understand someone today hating it because it's nothing but endless item collection through 10 environments that are tiny by today's standards, or for being a Mario 64 knockoff, or for the occasionally crappy 3D platforming (Click-Clock Wood- especially in the winter time- or those music notes where you have to run through the propellers in Rusty Bucket Bay where if you fall off the edge you loose everything).

I think it really is all about being there- I've been playing through OoT again on my phone. I just made it through the Forest Temple and I'm loving every minute of it.

biospank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By biospank

@VashTS: just like sh1-3 is better then the re games

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @LordXavierBritish said:

@Akrid said:

To an extent, not really. You had less saves and dungeons, but I guess to make up for it, the game has sidequests out the ass. Also, shit ripped from Earthbound 64.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Hailinel

@YukoAsho said:

@TheMustacheHero said:
    NOSTALGIA GOGGLES!
    This, pretty much. I played OoT on the N64 (and again on the Cube) but never really saw the appeal. It was a good game, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't OMG GREATEST GAME EVAR I JUST CREAMED MY PANTIES! However, for people who had ONLY an N64, that was probably the greatest game they ever played at that point. N64 was something of a wasteland as far as games went. You had a few sub-par PlayStation ports, yeah, but the draw of the system was the one or two games from Nintendo that came out a year. Basically the logic was "Don't like (mascot)? Don't eat." So basically for a generation of young gamers, this became one of the important parts of their childhoods. This is part of why Nintendo can get away with not having done anything notable since Pikmin: Nintendo's fans have massive nostalgia goggles that they refuse to take off.

For me, Ocarina of Time came out when I was in high school. Did I think it was one of the best games ever at the time? I honestly can't remember. I do, however, remember being very impressed by it. The game succeeded at a lot of things that many other games regardless of platform had failed to execute on very well at all up to that point. Seriously, how many third-person action games that predated Ocarina of Time would have been about a million times better if they had just implemented a Z-targeting-style lock-on?

That's not to say that the game doesn't show its age, but it's designed well enough that a person that enjoyed the game thirteen years ago and never really touched it since can still enjoy it today. Believe me, I should know. I hadn't touched Ocarina of Time in over a decade before the 3DS release, and I still find the game entertaining. Yes, Hyrule Field is a mostly empty expanse, and the Water Temple is the devil's gift to level design, but in all honesty, I was able to pick up the game on my 3DS and start playing without recoiling in horror at how much it's aged.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Aetheldod

Nah you guys got it all wrong ... the best Zelda was the SNES one , after that I realized all Zelda game were the same ol same ol ... not worth my time ( ok Im being a dick , cool to those who like those Zelda games)

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Afroman269

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Hailinel said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Hailinel said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Akrid said:

Haha.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Hailinel

@Video_Game_King said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Akrid said:

To an extent, not really. You had less saves and dungeons, but I guess to make up for it, the game has sidequests out the ass. Also, shit ripped from Earthbound 64.

Huh?

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#49  Edited By Aus_azn
    @LordXavierBritish said:

@Akrid said:

This. Hence why I think Majora kicks OoT's arse back into the middle ages.
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @Hailinel

How else would you explain the alien invasion? Or the sword trainer guy? I don't remember this being a problem when you first read my Majora's Mask blog, where I said the same damn thing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.