Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 03, 2017

The first HD installment of the Zelda series developed for the Wii U and Nintendo Switch that returns to the open-world design of the original NES title, with a focus on free exploration of a large scale environment as well as dangerous enemies.

How is Wolf Link in Breath of the Wild?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

I don't have a Switch yet, so I don't have Zelda yet (I don't want it on the Wii U). I am hoping to get one really soon though. That said, my brothers' birthday is coming up and one of them got a Switch from his wife as a present because he loves Zelda and really wanted to play Breath of the Wild. He doesn't own a Wii U either, so the Switch version it was. Anyways, I bought Twilight Princess HD earlier this year and it came with the Wolf Link amiibo; I never used him in Twilight Princess, it sits on my computer desk here in the case as if he is a collectible, which is not my intention.

Earlier today I assumed you couldn't use Wolf Link on the Switch version; I thought it was only for those that used him and had a save file from the Cave of Shadows challenges in Twilight Princess. I just read that this isn't the case, so I was wondering how many hearts he has without the save file, and is he useful? Lastly, does anyone have any good stories (without spoilers) with Wolf Link or any other amiibo in this game? Wolf Link can hunt for you I believe and can attack enemies? I want to bring the amiibo over to my brother's house on Monday.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By jadegl

Wolf Link, in my opinion, is pretty useful. Of course, there are some limits to his usefulness.

Wolf link starts with three hearts, much like regular Link does at the very beginning. He's kind of weak, but against the basic enemies, he does just fine. He is a bit aggressive though. He attacks both enemies and animals, sometimes even before I realize they're around. So that can be helpful, if he catches a fast animal or one or two enemies, or a hindrance if he aggroes the wrong group (kind of like a shitty teammate in an mmo).

He can only be summoned in the open world portions, so no shrines or dungeons.

If you fast travel, go into a shrine or a dungeon, or glide off a mountain or something, he disappears, but you can resummon him. The only time you can't resummon him is if he dies. Then you have to wait until the next (real) day. I think he also teleports to you if the distance is very small, like out of eyesight.

The coolest thing I ever saw him do was when he had about half a heart of health depleted after a fight. We were chilling and running around just goofing off, as you do in BOTW, and he ended up seeing a bird and attacking it. The bird died and dropped two pieces of meat. Wolf Link stopped, sniffed the meat, and ate it, replenishing his lost health. My mind was blown. Of course, you can also just give him food from your inventory too, but I didn't know that at the time.

I think he's pretty cool in the game. He seems more helpful than I expected, especially in the beginning of the game when you need all the help you can get. :)

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jadegl: Great, thanks for the response! Yeah, I read about the dying and then having to wait the next real day if that happens. I'll try it out on Monday; should be fun!

blackmagicwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why not? It's a big world, why can't a giant wolf be in it?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NTM

@blackmagicwolf: That wasn't the question... Are you being sarcastic? If you're being serious, you read only the topic title and misinterpreted it. When I said 'how is he' I meant that as is he useful, does he do anything interesting? Not, how does it make sense that he's in the game? Please read the first post, otherwise, I'm not sure why you'd comment.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.