Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The First Templar

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released May 10, 2011

The First Templar is a third-person action-adventure title that features cooperative play.

Did anyone pick up The First Templar? Quick Look GB?

daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By daavpuke

So, I was just wondering if any of y'all had picked this up yet.

Just started and went through the tutorial level and so far, so good. One cheap mechanic did bother me and that's how they can only jump certain parts.
    Also, looks like the game is a bit expensive right now, so I'm hoping there's a ton of content. So far from what I saw in the inventory screen, there should be.

Might be cool to see a GB Quick Look, the dudes have been awesome on that part lately and I enjoyed every one I saw, even games I didn't have the intention of picking up. Make it happen, please.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By benjaebe

It looked kind of interesting. I'll probably rent it at some point. If you ever get a chance, if you could put up some of your impressions of the game that would be great.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Binman88

I was tempted to get it, looked at a few videos on youtube and it seemed a bit simplistic and button-mashy - is it better than that?

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Deranged

The First Templar? I heard IGN said it was terrible. I'll have to check it out myself.

daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By daavpuke
    @benjaebe said:
    It looked kind of interesting. I'll probably rent it at some point. If you ever get a chance, if you could put up some of your impressions of the game that would be great.
    Will do sir, but only an hour in so far.

@Binman88 said:
    I was tempted to get it, looked at a few videos on youtube and it seemed a bit simplistic and button-mashy - is it better than that?

There's a board with all sorts of combo's and moves you can unlock by spending XP, so my guess is that it will get more tactical. It's a bit hard to figure out, since they keep locked items hidden, but I think it also adds to the charm of choosing a direction. So far, I like the fact you need to perform a power strike to get passed opponents with shields or try and get behind them.
    Vexed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Vexed

I got it from Gamefly.  Think I'm on...the fourth level.  I like it for what it is, but I can totally see the guys just shitting on it in a Quick Look.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Marz

I saw some gameplay vids on youtube.  It's no Assassin's Creed that's for sure...

daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By daavpuke
    @benjaebe:

So, I think I'm at level 7 or 8 now and there's 20 or so I read. And until now, this game has been pretty awesome, I must say. First off, it's not trying to be Assassin's Creed at all, so no point referencing it. I wrote down a bunch of stuff for my review later on and most of it has been pretty positive. Here's some notes:

- Decent graphics, maybe a bit heavy on the bloom sometimes, but overall pretty good. Nice cinematics as well, except for side characters' lip syncing.
    - Definitely a wide approach with some tactics to be found. There's a 'zeal' system for powerful attacks, unlockable skills both active and passive from board, several outfits that need to be found and unlocked. Though the last one isn't really clear, but I'm sure it boosts stats. Different combo's also do different things. Knocking back for one is pretty great for coup de graces and kicking people off cliffs.
    - Good dialog between characters. Engaging and sometimes comical enough. It's a shame there's a switch in dynamic, but still overall good. The odd coupling of the main character with allies is pretty well done.
    - A nifty clue system where you can look around for special objects or foot prints and the likes. It also makes for some nice puzzles and are never hard.
    - Also some basic but well designed cooperative level design, with standard lever pulling and having people on certain areas in rooms and whatnot. There's also different strengths for the characters.
    - Chests offer a taste of skills not yet unlocked, which is a nice way to try some stuff out.
    - Decent AI. Perhaps one of the best traits, when playing alone, the AI is actually pretty sentient and will take care of its own, will not fall in traps and even assist in stealth kills. Also, they don't take health pick-ups until severely damaged.
    - And for fans of that stuff: A dynamic achievement system in-game that tells you how far you're away from counted achievements, such as an amount of stealth kills etc. Gives you a nice way to concentrate while staying locked in the game.

Some quirks, not so much faults.
    - The first levels are pretty linear, like I mentioned before. Luckily, that opens up later on, but the game has a way of pushing you in the right direction. Luckily, you can still veer off and discover the rest. A better mini-map would've helped though.
    - Co-op has issues. My version doesn't even allow me to log in apparently and I've heard of similar issues. Also, one option only works for facebook, which is ridiculous.
    That's pretty much it though.

Now I'm really hoping GB will pick it up for a QL. It has a few lower points, but I'd give it a high 7 or even an 8 at this point. And I don't think it will get worse from here. Maybe a little repetition towards the end, but I couldn't tell right now. All I know is, I'm engaged in playing on and that's a good thing. Looks like it's worth the money after all. Definitely give this a spin should it ever get discounted.
    BUCK3TM4N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By BUCK3TM4N

id like to see a quicklook

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

It looks like a mediocre European PC game that was ported to the consoles because the game box and vague description makes it appear deceptively as an Assassin's Creed clone.  So I think I will pass.  If the reviews are mostly positive I may possible rent or buy when it gets under $20.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
    deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

It has no resemblance to the AC series other than minor story elements which AC borrowed from a myriad of other games and movies. I played and beat it in about 10 hours. If you're looking for a decent hack and slash game with a pretty interesting story and some hilariously bad dialogue, go for it. I had a lot of fun with First Templar and will be playing co-op with one of my buddies next week. Keep in mind though, it's not a polished game nor is it large in scope, it's a game that offers a decent amount of enjoyment for 10 hours.

daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By daavpuke

^I second that minus any discrepancies. I'm loving this game. It lacks some polish, but overall it's a pretty grand adventure.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ryanwho

Its timing is unfortunate. Im expecting it to be about on par with Venetica or something. That is, have small beats where you see the potential, followed by a game that feels completely unfinished.
    YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By YoThatLimp
    @HorsemanVI said:
    It has no resemblance to the AC series other than minor story elements which AC borrowed from a myriad of other games and movies. I played and beat it in about 10 hours. If you're looking for a decent hack and slash game with a pretty interesting story and some hilariously bad dialogue, go for it. I had a lot of fun with First Templar and will be playing co-op with one of my buddies next week. Keep in mind though, it's not a polished game nor is it large in scope, it's a game that offers a decent amount of enjoyment for 10 hours.
    Actually sounds better than I was expecting, I might check this one out.
    MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By MetalGearSunny

....you're joking, right?

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

So many good games coming out every week... I just don't have time to play subpar ones (especially subpar ones that are almost full price).

monkeynuts8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By monkeynuts8

not at all interested after watching the QL. Too many good games to play

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By monkeyking1969

If this game came out at $19.95 it might be worth it.  And by worth it, I  mean the people who made it need food to eat and shoes for their kids, so I'd give them $20 to make sure their hungry shoe-less children don't die this week.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By SomeDeliCook

The game is really fun for what it is, but it is suppose to be something so much bigger. 
     There's no huge character customization, just pick out of a few choices of clothes and weaponry. The skills you can upgrade are somewhat pointless; other than Health and Zeal upgrades, you don't really need to buy any of the combo's, since mashing X button (Square on PS3) and holding it down every so often  is enough to kill everything, with the occasional block. 
    I really enjoy it. But if you decide to get it right now (40 bucks at Walmart, and includes free DLC) then know what you're getting into: a pretty janky but still enjoyable game.

Liber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Liber

o_0

Are you guys serious ? the game looked fucking horrible on the quick look.

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Rahf

Looked and sounded horrible. The mixing for the voice-over was almost abyssmal. Reverb in an open field? A perfectly normal looking templar with a voice that would scare kids away?  Come on! 

sub-par animation on character models with some hilarious clipping and glitching issues (I'm specifically thinking of The Beast and all dialogue interactions in the quick look). 

I wouldn't touch this game with a pointed stick.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#22  Edited By monkeyking1969

You know what?  Many games look horrible and are not that well made, but often those games often have some charm in that they do something different even if it comes across poorly.   As I said above, I would buy the game for $20, because I figure the people working at the developer did their best with the time, resources, and tools they were given.  The game has an earnest “we’re trying” look to it. 

sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By sfighter21

yo, its $7.50 on steam right now. Now is it worth it?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.