Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls

Franchise »

The Elder Scrolls is a long-running franchise of role-playing games made by Bethesda Softworks. The series is known for offering much freedom to the player and many choices of how to play.

Just announce Elder Scrolls V already.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Edited By Rayfield

Ever since the days of sweaty nerds rolling twenty-sided die at each other back in the eighties, the medieval fantasy role-playing game still holds a very powerful allure to a lot of people. When it comes to video games, it would probably be unwise to try and count the amount of releases that have landed in this genre in the last thirty years. Whether it was a text-based adventure, crude two-tone sprites on black backgrounds or fully realised  worlds filled to the brim with incredible detail, getting lost in one of these adventures is something never gets old. 

One of the finest examples of this genre is the Elder Scrolls series. In what was typically a PC only adventure for its first three releases, 2006 saw the release of the most critically acclaimed and best-selling installment across all platforms, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Set in the fictional province of Cyrodiil, developer Bethesda Softworks created an immense, vivid world in which people, animals, enemies and events seemed alive. Granted, the story was standard RPG fare (player thrust into saving the world from all-encompassing evil) but it was the mechanics and design of the game which bore the most impressive fruit. If the player strolled into a town or city, villagers and guards went about their business in a way that was not random, but rather more structured and lifelike. Shopkeepers opened and closed their doors at set times before wandering back to their own homes, city guards returned to their barracks for food and rest after finishing their patrols. Market sales came and went, highwaymen waited until nightfall to attack wandering travellers and wild animals became greater in numbers depending on your location and the time of day. 

Together, these details mixed together to create a rich, layered universe in which I became lost in for dozens of hours. That said, it was not without fault. The combat was mostly awful, bugs and glitches were aplenty and every person you talked to looked like a featureless meat puppet. Plus, I’m pretty sure Bethesda only hired about three voice actors for the hundreds of citizens you meet. But none of that mattered. The world of Oblivion was much too intoxicating to be sullied by tiny issues. 

Since then, Bethesda haven’t returned to the province of Cyrodiil. Aside from two packs of downloadable content (Knights Of The Nine in 2006, Shivering Isles in 2007), the Elder Scrolls has gone quiet. Bethesda released Fallout 3 in 2008 to incredible success and now have moved to the publishing side of things, deciding to release other developer’s work under the Bethesda banner. Two of those games, Rogue Warrior and WET, didn’t meetexpectations

In a few months, it will be five years since we have heard a single thing about the next game in the Elder Scrolls series. While recent rumours point towards a Elder Scrolls MMO possibly in development, this cannot be confirmed. Even if that is the case, that is not the right direction for this series. Launching a fantasy medieval MMO is this day and age has got BANKRUPTCY written all over it and the reason for that is Blizzard’s still-insanely-popular World Of Warcraft. 

What is the right thing for Bethesda is to overhaul Oblivion from the ground up. Take what made that game amazing and build on it. Iron out all the problems (combat, interactions, villagers riding on invisible horses etc) and streamline the hell out of it. You don’t have to re-invent the wheel, just polish it to a gleaming, mirror shine. Do that and do it right, and people will start talking in hushed tones about “the last RPG you’ll ever need” and “game of the year”. 

First things first, Bethesda. There is one simple thing you need to do now. Not in 2011 or 2012; right now. Formally announce Elder Scrolls V. Release a logo, some concept art, a plotline, anything. Believe me, the gaming world will explode with excitement at the thought of returning to that universe. Just don’t make us pay for downloadable horse armour again. 

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Rayfield

Ever since the days of sweaty nerds rolling twenty-sided die at each other back in the eighties, the medieval fantasy role-playing game still holds a very powerful allure to a lot of people. When it comes to video games, it would probably be unwise to try and count the amount of releases that have landed in this genre in the last thirty years. Whether it was a text-based adventure, crude two-tone sprites on black backgrounds or fully realised  worlds filled to the brim with incredible detail, getting lost in one of these adventures is something never gets old. 

One of the finest examples of this genre is the Elder Scrolls series. In what was typically a PC only adventure for its first three releases, 2006 saw the release of the most critically acclaimed and best-selling installment across all platforms, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Set in the fictional province of Cyrodiil, developer Bethesda Softworks created an immense, vivid world in which people, animals, enemies and events seemed alive. Granted, the story was standard RPG fare (player thrust into saving the world from all-encompassing evil) but it was the mechanics and design of the game which bore the most impressive fruit. If the player strolled into a town or city, villagers and guards went about their business in a way that was not random, but rather more structured and lifelike. Shopkeepers opened and closed their doors at set times before wandering back to their own homes, city guards returned to their barracks for food and rest after finishing their patrols. Market sales came and went, highwaymen waited until nightfall to attack wandering travellers and wild animals became greater in numbers depending on your location and the time of day. 

Together, these details mixed together to create a rich, layered universe in which I became lost in for dozens of hours. That said, it was not without fault. The combat was mostly awful, bugs and glitches were aplenty and every person you talked to looked like a featureless meat puppet. Plus, I’m pretty sure Bethesda only hired about three voice actors for the hundreds of citizens you meet. But none of that mattered. The world of Oblivion was much too intoxicating to be sullied by tiny issues. 

Since then, Bethesda haven’t returned to the province of Cyrodiil. Aside from two packs of downloadable content (Knights Of The Nine in 2006, Shivering Isles in 2007), the Elder Scrolls has gone quiet. Bethesda released Fallout 3 in 2008 to incredible success and now have moved to the publishing side of things, deciding to release other developer’s work under the Bethesda banner. Two of those games, Rogue Warrior and WET, didn’t meetexpectations

In a few months, it will be five years since we have heard a single thing about the next game in the Elder Scrolls series. While recent rumours point towards a Elder Scrolls MMO possibly in development, this cannot be confirmed. Even if that is the case, that is not the right direction for this series. Launching a fantasy medieval MMO is this day and age has got BANKRUPTCY written all over it and the reason for that is Blizzard’s still-insanely-popular World Of Warcraft. 

What is the right thing for Bethesda is to overhaul Oblivion from the ground up. Take what made that game amazing and build on it. Iron out all the problems (combat, interactions, villagers riding on invisible horses etc) and streamline the hell out of it. You don’t have to re-invent the wheel, just polish it to a gleaming, mirror shine. Do that and do it right, and people will start talking in hushed tones about “the last RPG you’ll ever need” and “game of the year”. 

First things first, Bethesda. There is one simple thing you need to do now. Not in 2011 or 2012; right now. Formally announce Elder Scrolls V. Release a logo, some concept art, a plotline, anything. Believe me, the gaming world will explode with excitement at the thought of returning to that universe. Just don’t make us pay for downloadable horse armour again. 

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By RichardLOlson

Yes I do agree with you.  This game needs to be announced a.s.a.p and I don't want to have to wait till 2012 or 2013 just for a pinch of noise about it.  I fully enjoyed both Elder Scrolls Morrowind and Oblivon.  Both worlds were very emersive and had a lot to offer someone.  I weep every time I step into those worlds.  I  just wish could actually step into those worlds.

bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By bjorno

I love TES as much as any man can and I want Elder Scrolls V to come out with the next generation of consoles/PC hardwares. I can wait .

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

I'm with you man, I am eagerly awaiting the next game. I just hope it isn't an MMO...

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By jorbear

I probably sound like an elitist/douche, but I want it more like Morrowind, less like Oblivion. I just felt that Oblivion did a lot of things right when it came from a gameplay perspective, but the world, writing, and story were lacking when compared to Morrowind.

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
    deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

Here here. Once Elder Scrolls V gets announced, I will be forever in bliss. I love Oblivion to no end and cannot wait till Bethesda does its magic once more.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Skytylz

Ughhh, the first time I read the thread title I thought it said that it was announced.  Boy, what a let down!

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Rayfield
    @Skytylz said:
    "Ughhh, the first time I read the thread title I thought it said that it was announced.  Boy, what a let down! "

Sorry dude. Here have this picture of Randy Savage as compensation: 

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By beforet

A new Elder Scrolls would be great, so long as they either do a massive update on the Oblivion/Fallout engine or scrap it completely and build a new one, though the latter would not fill me with much confidence.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@jorbear: I agree.
    jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11  Edited By jorbear
    @Beforet: They keep on saying they are not going to use id Tech 5, but...
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#12  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Well, it's been 2 years since Fallout 3 already, so I can assume with confidence that they're probably developing Elder Scrolls V. Another Fallout wouldn't make a ton of sense, despite what a rather confused Vinny said on one of the recent podcasts, and I'm pretty sure there's a separate team of monkeys who are developing that rumored Elder Scrolls MMO, thank goodness.

In any case, you're right. They should announce Elder Scrolls V, because I want it as much as the next man. Will they? No. I'm guessing E3 2011, with a Fall 2012 release date. It took 4 years from Morrowind to Oblivion, after all.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By mordukai

We'll probably won't hear about a new elder scrolls game any time soon. If it was in development then I'm sure it got a massive change since the ID purchase. I am sure Bethesda would  use the IdTech 5 for their games from now on.  I am guessing that if we won't hear about a new elder scrolls by VGA then we won't see anything at all this year or the coming one. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@jorbear said:
    " I probably sound like an elitist/douche, but I want it more like Morrowind, less like Oblivion.. "

Yeah, kinda.

I just want it

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By TheHT
    @bjorno said:
    " I love TES as much as any man can and I want Elder Scrolls V to come out with the next generation of consoles/PC hardwares. I can wait . "
    In an interview I heard that dude what did all the interviews for Fallout 3 was talking about how the next thing they're working on will look like next gen compared to Fallout 3 and Oblivion.
    Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Rayfield

The main thing they need to fix is the combat. Whether that's a case of building a new engine or just completely redesigning it, it doesn't matter. I'm willing to let in a few random bugs as long as I don't have to clumsily hack away at a goblin's face for 45 minutes before he finally reacts by dying. I hated finding/buying the most badass awesome sword in Tamriel and have it be as effective as a pool noodle. 

That, and opening an Oblivion gate towards the end of the game to have something like 75 stupid-hard enemies pour out onto your face was a bit much.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.