Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

When remastering retains the core of a game

• 63 results
    WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have never played the game before so would you guys recommend playing with mods the first time? I kinda want to play the game without any but I would love to hear your thoughts. I'm playing on X1 by the way.

If theres mods that fix bugs or things like that, download those for sure. I don't know what the current mods are, but if theres some unofficial patch mod, download that immediately.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Ill speak on behalf on the minority I guess. I was able to play 5 hours last night with no bugs or crashes of any kind (I really never had these issues on regular skyrim either). I also think it looks really great. I know It is possible to get a better looking graphic experience on OG skyrim but honestly, I was never able to. Every mod I tried did not sit well with me. All the combinations and guides I followed resulted in unfavorable results. It's kinda like the character creators in Elder Scrolls themselves: You can spend hours upon hours fine tuning every last detail of your character but when you're all done and take a step back, it's a hideous monster that looks like every part of the face came from another person. The Special Edition adds new graphical features that really sparse it up while not going overboard like I usually do. I know you guys really hate the "works for me" comment but when the majority of people are bagging on the game, I think it's important to state that if you're not super into graphic mods or UI mods, the Special Edition on PC looks really good. If only bugs like the horse at the beginning weren't so wide spread and present in theses games. However, I do think Brad's argument (that these games will never be free of these kind of bugs) during FO4 game of the year deliberations is true. The games are just way to big and to open to ever be bug free.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

My game straight up and crashed when I was about to go inside Helgen to get my handcuffs cut.

Will have to wait this one, as usual. Apparently the unofficial patch is ready to go for the game, but I want to know more about the Bethesda mod thing or just go back into using nexus mods when the game is stable.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

I think this is even less acceptable because it is a remaster for a 5 year old game. This is just bad.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

The faces just aren't clean enough in Vanilla Skyrim for me.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@jayzilla said:

The faces just aren't clean enough in Vanilla Skyrim for me.

What do you mean, they look fine!

No Caption Provided

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

No Caption Provided

So I started the game, and got these weird artifacts bouncing on everything, on top of it running like junk. It's straight up unacceptable that a slightly touched-up remaster of a 5-year-old game runs this poorly.

Xdeser2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Modded Skyrim from 2011 on Pc >

I'm not sure why anybody would expect anything less than a buggy mess from a 5 year old bethesda game, they just threw the game into the modded fallout 4 engine and said "fuck it".

As much as I hate flippant comments like this...you're probably right

shiro2809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really, that's how I feel every year w/ Brad and his arguments. It always feels like he just keeps repeating the same thing over and over again until the person arguing against him on some things just gives up. I'm mainly thinking of his Dota and Destiny arguments in regards to that though. It's quite frustrating to listen.

To be on topic, that's to be expected w/ a Bethesda game. Nice to see people are finally not letting it slide anymore...

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah, I'm having a lot of fun starting Skyrim over again but my performance is really unacceptable. Every 20-30 minutes the game starts jittering around like crazy, dropping tons of frames and also my inputs lag 1 to 2 seconds. I have to open a menu or load into a new area to try to fix it, and that only works probably 30% of the time. Mostly I have to stand around and wait for it to pass. I'm running a 1070 with an i5-6500 3.2GHz cpu, there's really no reason for this to be happening.

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
    SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By SarcasticMudcrab

It looks considerably better than the previous console versions.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shivoa: I hadn't actually thought of that. No mods it is!

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Played for 2 hours on PS4, no issues at all. Looks much better than in screen shots too. Didn't try any mods though, as all the ones up for PS4 look very lame. Like, stupid waste of time mods. Mostly just cheats.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gstats said:

They did a great job of making it feel like the same Skyrim by hardly improving the graphics as well.

This. Also had this feeling with Fallout 4.

(The fact that I started playing that right after I finished Witcher 3 didn't help).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.