Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

OK Skyrim I GET IT YOU HAVE DRAGONS!

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for thehuntsmen5434
    thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By thehuntsmen5434

Anyone else having issues with way TOO MANY DRAGONS!

Seriously, I played for about an hour last night trying to raise smithing in a few towns and got attacked by at least 2-3 dragons per city. Its getting OUT OF HAND! At first I thought it was great, because the encounters are done so fantastic, but once the dragons started KILLING THE BLACKSMITHS AND NPCs I NEED it became very annoying. Now theirs dragon skeletons everywhere and the dumb NPCs all stand around staring at it all like "omg never seen anything like this." Yes you have, like 2 days ago, and it killed your husband. A person I needed to buy ingots from. Stop being amazed and get back to work.

Is there something I'm doing to make these annoying lizards of the sky attack me in cities so frequently. I feel like their constant because since I'm fast traveling so much, and passing time to refresh the vendors items that they spawn quicker.

Anyone else having this issue. If you can even call it an issue.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#2  Edited By alistercat

It must truly be random. Sometimes I wont see a dragon for 10 hours. Sometime I will get attacked by 2 at the same time while on a quest. You can get a mod to disable random dragons if you want, and then take it off when you want.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Cataphract1014

I wish I got attacked by dragons constantly. I have like 8 or 9 untrained shouts.

Dunchad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Dunchad

Haven't had that problem, but sometimes it's annoying when a dragon attacks a city when I'm already away from it. I was doing the 7000 steps when I heard and then saw a dragon attacking Ivarstead - the bastard was just ignoring me.

I didn't want any of the NPCs to die (hadn't talked to anyone yet - couldn't let the oversized lizard steal any dialogue away from me) so I had to run back down to help kill it and then climb all the way back up, which was a bit of a bother.

Then again, I like the fact that they're actually a threat - I'm scared of losing NPCs to the dragons and that gives the fights some urgency when they happen in towns.

thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By thehuntsmen5434

@Cataphract1014: I have 6 extra dragon souls lol. If I could give them to you I would.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thehuntsmen5434 said:

Is there something I'm doing to make these annoying lizards of the sky attack me in cities so frequently. I feel like their constant because since I'm fast traveling so much, and passing time to refresh the vendors items that they spawn quicker.

That right there may very well be your issue. In my experience, Dragons tend to spawn when you fast travel, where you fast travel. I've had 2 encounters in Riverwood, 3 in Whiterun, and 1 in Falkreath, all after I fast traveled there. As for waiting around, are you doing so inside or outside? I've waited for my fair share of vendors to reset, but it was always indoors, mainly because I didn't want to hasten a dragon attack. I must have waited for 40 days in the Whiterun General Store, selling off various potions, waiting for his gold to reset, and repeat, and there was no dragon waiting for me when I left.

dystonym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By dystonym

@thehuntsmen5434: 15 spare souls. :| I got far too many dragons in the early game but now that I'm pretty powered up at level 48 I can deal with them fairly quickly.

thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By thehuntsmen5434

I wait inside town, and sleep in the inns when I can since I heard the items respawn when you sleep in an inn instead of waiting. Don't think that's true though since when I wait 12-14 hours in town, or fast travel around the items come back anyway.

thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By thehuntsmen5434

@Murdouken: I'm only level 25 pure destruction mage. They go down rather fast I usually don't even have to heal. I wish I could take them out quicker though before they start killing people.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

I get attacked by random dragons all the time, sometimes by two dragons at the same time.

No Caption Provided
    dystonym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By dystonym

@thehuntsmen5434: Continue with the main story. You get a shout that can really help you out with dragons.

thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By thehuntsmen5434

@Mr_Skeleton: Lol they love you.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I don't see the problem.

thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By thehuntsmen5434

@TaliciaDragonsong: lol read my post again. Dragons come. Kill NPCS. Can't use them anymore. RAGE!!!!

akzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By akzo

I went 30 hours without a single dragon, besides the scripted one in the beginning. I barely did any story missions however, I just killed my first Dragon via the story so I suspect that may increase their spawns.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#16  Edited By Hizang

It's hit and miss, there are times when I am looking for a dragon and I can not find one, and then theres times when the dragons appear at the worst possible time.

bbot23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bbot23

@thehuntsmen5434 said:

Anyone else having issues with way TOO MANY DRAGONS!

Seriously, I played for about an hour last night trying to raise smithing in a few towns [...] A person I needed to buy ingots from.

If you want to raise smithing to 100 the fastest, make hide bracers by buying leather and leather strips from blacksmiths. Best way is to just buy them from Riverwood, fast travel to Whiterun and buy two more batches of each from the blacksmith and his wife. Even in the 90+ skill range you can get 3-4 skillups per round.

thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By thehuntsmen5434

@Mr_Skeleton: Lol, you made my day.

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@thehuntsmen5434 said:

@TaliciaDragonsong: lol read my post again. Dragons come. Kill NPCS. Can't use them anymore. RAGE!!!!

Still don't see the problem, its awesome.
    butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By butano

Dragons: The new Cliff Racers.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By CL60

I'm around 24 hours in, and only encountered 1 story dragon, and 3-4 random dragons.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By HellBrendy

@Mr_Skeleton said:

I get attacked by random dragons all the time, sometimes by two dragons at the same time.

No Caption Provided

When I was a kid, Doubble Dragon was the shit.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By themangalist

I'm level 17 and I have still yet encountered a  random dragon. I guess that's because I never fast travelled.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Shadow

I wish there were more. My only problem with them is that I always feel inclined to take the dragon bones/scales back to my house and store them for later, making the encounters tedius in an entirely different way

IkariNoTekken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By IkariNoTekken

Forget the Dragons, Giants are where its at.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AlexW00d

I have played like 45 hours and only encounter 4 dragons. Admittedly I only got around to doing the quest that introduces them about 20 hours in. Also, do I need to learn all of the words of a shout before I can use them? I have like 5 single word shouts and have absorbed at least 4 souls, so why don't I have them?

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DeShawn2ks

@AlexW00d: You have to go to your magic then shouts and pick the ones you want to unlock.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By owl_of_minerva

The dragon encounters are rather trivialised, in terms of their relative lack of difficulty and sometimes annoying frequency, especially when they turn NPCs you need to talk to hostile. The Giants are a lot more fun.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29  Edited By CenturionCajun

So far all of my random dragons have attacked while I was talking to people. We'll just be chatting and then suddenly everyone pulls out a bow and begins firing into the sky. As for how frequently I come across them I've only gotten two random dragons and I'm about halfway through the main story.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By ajamafalous

I'm 27 hours in and I've only fought four dragons total. The one story dragon at the beginning, the dragon at Shearpoint (think that's the name, it's the word wall with Krosis next to it), and two random dragons. One I was able to kill, the other flew away at about 2/3 health. 

I wish I saw more dragons.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jasta

Every time I fast travel to honningbrew meadery, a dragon appears. I have about 9 souls sitting doing nothing.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#32  Edited By project343
    @Shadow

I wish there were more. My only problem with them is that I always feel inclined to take the dragon bones/scales back to my house and store them for later, making the encounters tedius in an entirely different way

Dragons are infinite and continue to roam after the main quest. Until you plan on crafting dragon bone/scale armour, don't bother.
    haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By haggis

@themangalist said:

I'm level 17 and I have still yet encountered a random dragon. I guess that's because I never fast travelled.

I'm not sure fast traveling has anything to do with it. I fast traveled everywhere, and didn't see my first random dragon until I decided to walk off down a river for awhile (about 22 hours in). I've never seen a random dragon after I've fast traveled. Whatever the internal rules that govern these random dragons are, I don't think any of us have figured it out yet. I doubt it has anything to do with fast traveling, or I would have been swamped with dragons by now.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#35  Edited By Ghostiet

I had only one dragon apart from the one near Whiterun that's plot-triggered. The second one I've only fought because it was distracted by giants - I got problems drawing them down. 

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#36  Edited By Vinny_Says

I got attacked during a stealth sequence in the thalmor embassy. Suffice to say it was a great distraction as all the guards got murked and I got a free pass :)

Divina_Rex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Divina_Rex

Dragons don't happen too often for me. I also, have never been attacked by two at the same time. I'm stuck with high level elder dragons trying to kill me.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By zombie2011

@AlexW00d said:

I have played like 45 hours and only encounter 4 dragons. Admittedly I only got around to doing the quest that introduces them about 20 hours in. Also, do I need to learn all of the words of a shout before I can use them? I have like 5 single word shouts and have absorbed at least 4 souls, so why don't I have them?

So i have to play some of the main quest to spawn the dragons? I'm about 15hrs in and i haven't seen a dragon, i also haven't done any main quest line stuff yet so i'm wondering if there is certain point where the random dragons start spawning.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#39  Edited By imsh_pl

@AlexW00d said:

Go to the magic menu and select the 'Shouts' submenu. The number of souls you have is in the bottom right corner, the button you have to press to unlock shouts is listen on the bottom left side of the screen (it's R on PCs).

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Azteck

I'm level 29 and I have 14 unused dragon souls and maybe 6 learned shouts. Guess I'm lucky?

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MikeGosot
    No Caption Provided
    vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#42  Edited By vaiz

@zombie2011 said:

@AlexW00d said:

So i have to play some of the main quest to spawn the dragons? I'm about 15hrs in and i haven't seen a dragon, i also haven't done any main quest line stuff yet so i'm wondering if there is certain point where the random dragons start spawning.

You have to do at least the first few main quest objectives, and then Dragons start fucking your shit up regularly.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Just wanted to let you guys know that I just got attacked by another dragon, which would make it my 11th random dragon encounter. For anyone saying they haven't encountered any dragon make sure you finished the Whiterun part of the main quest (very close to the beginning) and after that you should start getting the random dragon encounters.

Also you guys are awesome.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DrPockets000

I don't see a lot, but I'll hit patches in my roaming where I see two or three in an hour, and then none for a couple of hours. My roommate sees them all the time, however.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DystopiaX

nope, good amount of dragons for me but not excessive.

MidgardDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MidgardDragon

I've been attacked by quite a few dragons (killed 'em all) but I've never seen them actually manage to kill an NPC, they've usually been strong enough to just be damage sponges for me.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Nux

I have seen very few Dragons in my game , its kind of a bummer.

TzarStefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TzarStefan

Every time i leave a big city i get attacked... It's fucking annoying, But i ignore most of them. Mount up ftw

Avatar image for countinhallways
    countinhallways

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By countinhallways

@MidgardDragon said:

I've been attacked by quite a few dragons (killed 'em all) but I've never seen them actually manage to kill an NPC, they've usually been strong enough to just be damage sponges for me.

Yeah for all the talk in the game world of people fearing Dragons and whatnot, I have seen NPCs beat lumps out of them on several occasions.

I was fighting a Dragon up some mountain yesterday when a wandering Bard passed by and proceeded to distract the Dragon allowing for an easy kill on my part. The Bard leaped into the fray with reckless abandon, shouting insults at the Dragon as he punched him on the snout (nose?). When the Dragon was killed the Bard had barely a scratch on him; I paid him to play that Dragonborn song for me and then he went on his merry way again.

Hero.

Jimmi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Jimmi

@Mr_Skeleton said:

No Caption Provided

Nice sword. Dawnstar, right? Love that one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.