Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Game » consists of 31 releases. Released Mar 20, 2006

Travel the continent of Tamriel, defend the land against Oblivion's Daedra hordes, and help fill the empty throne of Cyrodiil in the fourth installment of the Elder Scrolls series.

Games with a similar levelling system to Oblivion ?

JustSuds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JustSuds

Hey, it took me a few years after I bought it, but I finally got into oblivion a few months ago and I love it. I'm just wondering if anyone can recommend any games that have a similar levelling system? ie, where every action you perform makes you better in that particular area and related areas.

I would like to implement a similar system in a game that I am making, and could use some more related material (similar games) to observe.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Shit, there are like 4 on the tip of my tongue that I can't quite get at. I'll get back to you if I remember.
    Oh, and I would consider looking into how Fallout uses perks, because Oblivion's leveling thing is cool, but perks allow for you to be what you want without going into grinding.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @JustSuds said:
    " Hey, it took me a few years after I bought it, but I finally got into oblivion a few months ago and I love it. I'm just wondering if anyone can recommend any games that have a similar levelling system? ie, where every action you perform makes you better in that particular area and related areas.I would like to implement a similar system in a game that I am making, and could use some more related material (similar games) to observe. "
    Go play Morrorwind. Its a great game. 
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Pinworm45

Fallout but I'm sure that's obvious.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By august
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Morrowind is the only other game I can think of that's exactly the same (no surprise there).

Fable works somewhat similarly. For example, you get more strength exp if you use melee attacks, or more agility exp if you use ranged attacks.

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By tds418

Kind of an oddball suggestion, but if you want a game from a different genre you might want to check out Test Drive Unlimited 2. You get experience for doing virtually everything (driving on unexplored roads, inviting friends to your house, buying cars, winning races, joining clubs, etc.) which allows you to level up in different areas.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By august
    @Pinworm45 said:
    " Fallout but I'm sure that's obvious. "
    None of the Fallout games have the system he's describing.
    JustSuds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JustSuds

Thanks guys, that's a *great* selection of games. I'm shocked at how quickly they came.

@The_Laughing_Man, @FancySoapsMan, I've played Morrowind :-)

@tds418 I'll look into that game, I don't mind a shift in genre, in fact, the more diverse the system is (but achieving the same goal); the better.

@august Never heard of this one, but the title alone excites me. *clicks*

Another suggestion I just got from elsewhere was Borderlands. Which I've played and also loved. Specifically how every shot you make counts towards your proficiency with that weapon. That system is very simple however.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.