Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Oct 08, 2013

A third-person, squad-based, tactical game that recounts humanity's first contact with aliens during the Cold War in the 1960s, and the subsequent founding of the XCOM organization.

XCOM Reboot Suddenly Has a Release Date, New Trailer

• 87 results
    234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#51  Edited By 234r2we232
    This is a true fedora game :x

@Erlog
    said:

It's gonna be great when more information is released about this game, and then you guys all look sheepish that you were able to so completely wrong for so long. You guys should keep in mind that these trailers are rarely if ever put together by developers, and so this all comes down to PR people spinning this game to look like something it probably isn't. But go ahead, let's please continue judging this game based on 2 pre-release trailers that don't look a whole lot like what developers have said this game is from the beginning.  You guys all remember that time Brutal Legend was a "Character Action Game" based on trailers and PR spin? Trailers...they never lie man.

YEAH VIDEO GAMES SUX DOOD 

Did you watch the trailer? All of it looks in-engine. And effing amazing.

GIVE ME MY XCOM NOW! :D
    reddin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By reddin

It looks fine. If only they didn't feel the need to call it XCOM..

Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Zabant

I'm never usually this mean spirited but I hope they fucking fail miserably. X-COM was fucking awesome. This pisses me off to an unimaginable extent. But what do I know? I played the original x-com so I'm clearly not the intended audience...... outrageous. 

It was hard enough to come around to calling it X-COM and not UFO: Enemy Unknown, this ill never accept. 

MichaelBach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#54  Edited By MichaelBach

Looks interesting, hoping to see more at E3

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By BBQBram

Hey guys, I'd like to value this game on it's own merit but I heard I'm supposed to compare it to an old game I never played? Whining about changes in your favourite game is one thing, but if it's a completele reboot years down the line with a new gameplay concept in the same fiction, how about opening your fucking mind.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By xyzygy

This is coming from the team that made Bioshock 2. A game I wanted nothing to do with until I found it for 20 blucks, then played through and ended up liking it better than the original. I'm optimistic about this.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#57  Edited By demonbear
    @walterbennet said:
    Why even call this XCOM?
    This. The game itself looks fun, i wanna play it on day one no doubt. But this has nothing to do with x-com, both on the style of gameplay of course, and the lore. 

But you give me a game where I can shoot aliens in the 50s and i'm there!!! :D
    raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By raviolisumo
    @demonbear said:
    @walterbennet said:
    Why even call this XCOM?
    This. The game itself looks fun, i wanna play it on day one no doubt. But this has nothing to do with x-com, both on the style of gameplay of course, and the lore.   But you give me a game where I can shoot aliens in the 50s and i'm there!!! :D
    So please help me understand. This game takes a radically different position than the previous game (games? Sorry. Ignorant of XCOM) so it gets a "Why even call this XCOM?" but if it was more of the same it would be labeled as "more like XCOM 1.5". I see this behavior every time a sequel for a game gets announced: the fans either label it as nothing like it (and forgetting the roots) or too much like it. Not saying any of the quoted individuals are guilty of that behavior, but maybe you can help me understand.
    Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Zabant
    @BBQBram said:
    Hey guys, I'd like to value this game on it's own merit but I heard I'm supposed to compare it to an old game I never played? Whining about changes in your favourite game is one thing, but if it's a completele reboot years down the line with a new gameplay concept in the same fiction, how about opening your fucking mind.
    You're just making yourself look like a oblivious child with this comment. Imagine if in 20 years a new mass effect came out and it was an onrails shooter and all of the original classic aliens had been replaced with cyberpunk human aliens. You would feel like somone had taken a shit on your cherished memory.
    Pinmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#60  Edited By Pinmonkey
    @Zabant said:

@BBQBram said:

You're just making yourself look like a oblivious child with this comment. Imagine if in 20 years a new mass effect came out and it was an onrails shooter and all of the original classic aliens had been replaced with cyberpunk human aliens. You would feel like somone had taken a shit on your cherished memory.
    You're just making yourself look like a stupid adult BECAUSE WHAT HE SAID TOTALLY MAKES SENSE AND WHAT YOU SAID DOESN'T 
    awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By awe_stuck
    @xyzygy said:
    This is coming from the team that made Bioshock 2. A game I wanted nothing to do with until I found it for 20 blucks, then played through and ended up liking it better than the original. I'm optimistic about this.
    I hated the second game. It wasnt terrible, but I'm glad I didnt buy it unlike Bioshock 1 which was worth it. How is Bioshock 2 better? 

Its been known for a quite a long time X COM was going to be single player.  From what I've seen it looks pretty good. I wouldnt pay full price for this game unless they do quite a bit to make it worth my while. It does look pretty good though. You can check out some earlier trailers of X COM to get a better idea of the actual gameplay versus combat.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By xyzygy
    @awe_stuck said:
    @xyzygy said:
    I hated the second game. It wasnt terrible, but I'm glad I didnt buy it unlike Bioshock 1 which was worth it. How is Bioshock 2 better? 
    My word isn't the law, I'm just saying what I liked better. I just liked where Bioshock 2 went, I liked how you played as just another Big Daddy, I LOVE the inclusion of Big Sisters and I really liked how they fleshed out the Little Sisters and made the story more about them. It just seemed to be a more fucked up game than the first, morally and story wise. Which I appreciate.
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#63  Edited By demonbear
    @Wes899 said:
    @demonbear said:
    @walterbennet said:
    Why even call this XCOM?
    This. The game itself looks fun, i wanna play it on day one no doubt. But this has nothing to do with x-com, both on the style of gameplay of course, and the lore.   But you give me a game where I can shoot aliens in the 50s and i'm there!!! :D
    So please help me understand. This game takes a radically different position than the previous game (games? Sorry. Ignorant of XCOM) so it gets a "Why even call this XCOM?" but if it was more of the same it would be labeled as "more like XCOM 1.5". I see this behavior every time a sequel for a game gets announced: the fans either label it as nothing like it (and forgetting the roots) or too much like it. Not saying any of the quoted individuals are guilty of that behavior, but maybe you can help me understand.
    No you don't understand. X-COM fans WANT an X-com 1.5 for fucking years and no one will give a proper one to us. But hey, if this game gets us closer to what we want, sure i'll buy it. It looks fine for me, its just that this game, and this is really where you need to focus here, this game here has NOTHING to do with the original games, except for the name.
    awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By awe_stuck
    @xyzygy said:
    @awe_stuck said:
    @xyzygy said:
    My word isn't the law, I'm just saying what I liked better. I just liked where Bioshock 2 went, I liked how you played as just another Big Daddy, I LOVE the inclusion of Big Sisters and I really liked how they fleshed out the Little Sisters and made the story more about them. It just seemed to be a more fucked up game than the first, morally and story wise. Which I appreciate.
    Ya, the storyline was a much less gross I guess. Also, the added stuff was nice. And, ya first game messed up. I hated killing the Little Sisters, kinda made me sick til I did it about 20 times... Even then. 

I can see what you mean. I found the level design and the gameplay less fun in the 2nd one though. As in Bioshock 1 they had a lot more use electricity or melt this area type puzzles as far as I can remember. Also, the enemies though difficult were never really that hard, which in the 2nd one I found to be quite different.  

X COM does look interesting I'm hoping its not centered around combat too much. I wouldnt be too surprised if the game is a little tactical. Though most fps arent that complicated.
    Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Zabant
    @Pinmonkey: Capslock is cruise control for cool.
    Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not really sure who they're making this game for. XCOM fans aren't going to want a shooter, and the XCOM name holds no water in the FPS market. Also, 2K Marin is behind this, and after the piss poor way they handled Bioshock 2 (both the development and the aftermarket support) I have no faith in this project.

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#67  Edited By Cybexx

Brad called it

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By raviolisumo

@demonbear said:

@Wes899 said:
    @demonbear said:
    @walterbennet said:
    Why even call this XCOM?
    This. The game itself looks fun, i wanna play it on day one no doubt. But this has nothing to do with x-com, both on the style of gameplay of course, and the lore. But you give me a game where I can shoot aliens in the 50s and i'm there!!! :D
    No you don't understand. X-COM fans WANT an X-com 1.5 for fucking years and no one will give a proper one to us. But hey, if this game gets us closer to what we want, sure i'll buy it. It looks fine for me, its just that this game, and this is really where you need to focus here, this game here has NOTHING to do with the original games, except for the name.

Thank you very much for explaining.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#69  Edited By MeatSim

Despite it having nothing to do with X-Com it looks like it could be a fun FPS.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#70  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Alright, allow me to explain why the presence of the XCOM name is so frustrating: There has really only been one great XCOM game, and that was the original UFO Defense. Everything else, be it the actual XCOM sequels, derivatives like the UFO series and so on and so forth have been decent at best but more likely than not kind of terrible. It's not even like the first game doesn't have obvious avenues for improvement either, but basically everything after it has either managed to miss the point of what made it so good or has had some other crippling issue that makes it hard to play. Thus, with the reboot that has nothing to do with anything involving the actual series of turn based strategy, it might be fairly obvious to see why people who like the old games are pissed. It's not even like the game itself looks bad or anything either.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Jimbo

You can see the dude giving team orders at a couple of points, so that's something at least. The gameplay looked a lil bit like the Brothers in Arms games, which I loved.

Will need to see more of the planning, equip, tactics, level structure etc. etc. but I think it looks promising.

Gordy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Gordy

I don't get all the COD comparisons, Looks a lot more like Brothers In Arms type gameplay to me

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#73  Edited By Marz

I'm kind of disappointed.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#74  Edited By Cold_Wolven

Looks pretty good, hopefully there's a demo at E3 that shows the battle with the eye in the sky in more depth.

risseless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#75  Edited By risseless

Looks interesting, but it's XINO -- XCom In Name Only.

WhatTheDang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By WhatTheDang

Mad Men vs. Rez 

Coming 2012

Pinmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#77  Edited By Pinmonkey
    @Zabant: Way to skirt over actually defending your pretentiously stupid response that makes no sense by making an even more douchey comment that has nothing to do with anything. A+
    Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disappointing. I want more non-FPS games. :-( I don't like it when they convert strategy series in to FPS games for no reason (besides sales that is).

actionTACO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By actionTACO

"we need very the very best and brightest the bureau has to offer to even stand a chance against these untextured cubes from space. your ability to shoot at things and point at things for other people to shoot at puts you head and shoulders above the rest, agent..." 
    "com... xavier com..."

vaportra1l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#80  Edited By vaportra1l

Dunno, it might be fun. It sounds kind of interesting. It would be pretty disappointing if you don't see some of the aliens from the original game like the greys or those mind controlling fuckers. I hope for the best.

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#81  Edited By xpgamer7

Wondering about the frame rate.

quadracer131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#83  Edited By quadracer131

I must be in the minority of people who enjoy single player FPS. This game looks pretty awesome to me, the art direction looks amazing. 

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Arabes

I'm sure this has been said loads of times already but no big company is going to make an isometric turn based strategy game so all the people complaining that this isn't x-com you should give up. I loved x-com and played it again recently (I do it every few years) but lets be honest, the combat becomes a monumental pain in the ass as the game goes on. What I loved about it was the research, base building, kitting out my guys and the sense of dread (especially early in the game before you got flying powered suits) as your little dudes wandered around in the dark throwing glow sticks and legging it from chryssalids who were hell bent on zombifying your squad. If this game retains those elements then I'm going to enjoy it and I think the x-com name will fit.

KainCarver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#85  Edited By KainCarver

Another craptacular FPS. First Xcom is utterly - meh and now another classic game is heading the same way. I'll check em both out once released but they'll have to be really bloody good to swing my vote now.

Tidel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#86  Edited By Tidel

I'm no great fan of shooters, and have no relationship to the series this game has taken it's name from... BUT! I am a huge fan of malevolent space-faring geometry.  It's a really unexplored genre.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#87  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

Looks cool.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By ryanwho

Even if it wasn't attached to the Xcom name, it just looks uninspired. It looks like the kind of game the people who made Bioshock 2, a game that didn't need to exist, would make. It looks like an aggregate of ideas, not a creator of ideas. I suppose their next game will be ripping off whatever Irrational games popularizes in Bioshock Infinite.

wintermute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#89  Edited By wintermute

I never played the original XCOM, but the trailer for this game looks pretty cool. However, that is not a dot-matrix printer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.